iTunes 7 - Official Problem Thread

pro547

330 posts in this topic

Didn't feel like reading the thread, just wanted to report i was able to upgrade on my SSE3 Pentium D 3.2ghz with 1GB DDR2 ram no problem, no need to run in rosetta, nothing

To be honest, I didn't know there was an issue till my friend started bitching about it

think that apple strikes more and more back

Honestly I don't think Apple gives a flying {censored} about people running OS X on systems with SSE2 processing. It's more about this new version of iTunes being more advanced and Apple asuming that people simply won't have any problems running it on "iTunes ready" systems...

JaS or anyone that knows, what version of quicktime is provided in the 10.4.6 JaS iso? I upgraded to 7.1.3 QT and its not working, it seems like my Adium messenger sounds are gone due to the QT upgrade. I need to downgrade to my other, working version of QT.

im trying to downgrade 7.1.3 to 7.0.4, cant seen to install 0.4 after uninstalling 1.3 (0.4 installation says "cannot install there is a later version installed") through AppZapper, any suggestions?

Honestly I don't think Apple gives a flying {censored} about people running OS X on systems with SSE2 processing. It's more about this new version of iTunes being more advanced and Apple asuming that people simply won't have any problems running it on "iTunes ready" systems...

yea i have to agree, i think they just used SSE3 instructions that had not been patched by the original SSE2 patcher... but it sucks none the less... guess ill just have to use iTunes 6 with CoverFlow RC1.2 as a seperate app ( it has full screen anyways)

JaS or anyone that knows, what version of quicktime is provided in the 10.4.6 JaS iso? I upgraded to 7.1.3 QT and its not working, it seems like my Adium messenger sounds are gone due to the QT upgrade. I need to downgrade to my other, working version of QT.

im trying to downgrade 7.1.3 to 7.0.4, cant seen to install 0.4 after uninstalling 1.3 (0.4 installation says "cannot install there is a later version installed") through AppZapper, any suggestions?

Confirming that my Aduim messenger sounds are missing as well after the QT upgrade.

Since this thread is getting really long... I just thought I would attempt to summarize what's comtained (sorry if I miss anything..)

It appears that if you have an SSE3 cpu, intel or AMD most reports are that everything is A-O.K. QT 7.1.3 may or may not be required, there may be some problems viewing album covers, probably steming from QE/CI issues. But at least you can launch the app, play music, etc. And at least you know you ought to be able to upgrade without borking your system..

SSE2 guys... Well we're forked. The trick to making this work (it worked for me) is to make the app PPC only..

cd /Applications

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

Then in finder, go to applications, rename iTunes.app to iTunesUniversal.app (or something) and rename iTunesPPC.app to iTunes.app. After that, right click on iTunes.app and Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents and open Info.plist with any decent text editor. Down towards the bottom you should see this key..

<key>LSRequiresNativeExecution</key>

<true/>

Change the <true/> to <false/>, and save the file.

That SHOULD HOPEFULLY work.. The weird thing for me, was that it didn't work at first, but I didn't reboot, or do anything else, and then a few minutes after these changes accidentally clicked on iTunes in the dock and it launched. Don't ask me... I did try downloading and running the zip files posted on page 6 (i think) during the time between it not working and suddenly working, but that app didn't work for me...

For me it's working now on an SSE2 Intel CPU, 768M of Ram, 10.4.6, QT 7.0.4.. Rosetta seems to make it slower (obviously), and the interface isn't exactly mind-blowing.. So if you have an SSE2 system, I probably wouldn't upgrade until there's a patch to allow it to run native. SSE3 guys should be OK but might want to re-read the thread for issues (i didn't pay as much attention to the SSE3 posts, blah to you guys!! :)

Good Luck!!

~Steve

EDIT: Just thought I'd let you icon guys know that with these steps my icon ceased being f-ed up with the no-smoking circle around it.

P.S. Now, can anyone help me with my damn ALPS touchpad... For some reason the drivers posted by PHB don't work on my (and several other peoples) Dell Latitude D600...

For me it's working now on an SSE2 Intel CPU, 768M of Ram, 10.4.6, QT 7.0.4..

The fact that you're trying to use iTunes 7 with that older version of QuickTime should have something to do with it. There is no reason not to update to the latest version of QuickTime regardless of whatever iTunes is or isn't doing for you.

For me, I got the memory issues as soon as I gave it a shot yesterday, spent some time trying to figure it out, then I just wiped OSX off my laptop totally and went back to Windows. I do like OSX, and I'll be reinstalling it a bit later on tonight because I still have much to learn if I'm going to start supporting it in my one-man consulting/repair biz, but I can't just sit there staring at it trying to figure out why iTunes isn't working. Under Windows I'm 100% productive 100% of the time.

I'll be implementing some (if not all) of the methods mentioned in this thread and I'll report back on my results.

bb

Hey, Steve Spies

Fellows I tried to run iTunes 7 after installing the QuickTime 7.1.3 still iTunes 7 doesn't worked. I am using Mac OSX86 10.4.7 patched by JaS. But as I read your post I got it, pal its a cool hack, I think what you actually did

is changed the requirement of Original Mac from "true" to "false", am I right. If I am wrong then please advise!!

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

works for me like charm. First installed the Quicktime update, then iTunes...

B.

Works great on my machine too...

- install qt 7.1.3

- restart the system

- repair permissions

- install iTunes 7.0

- restart the system

- repair permissions

iTunes works great, all features too

sse3 = works native

sse2 = ppc trick - working

someone who hacks the intel version to get it working on sse2 would be intresting...

thx for helping.. hacking it for it to work for the laptop is great, but slows down general perfomance a lot.. ouch...

cheers!

:P

osxG