iTunes 7 - Official Problem Thread

pro547

330 posts in this topic

itunes 7 is workin on my computer and i only have a 2.7ghz celeron D sse2 cpu on a jas 10.4.6+jas 10.4.8 update. I didnt do anything except download it and install it over itunes6. Haven't yet checked all the features but its just as quick as itunes6 and play mp3's fine. Don't know if it matters but i have a geforce 6200 with working ci/qe/opengl

I just posted this in another thread but though I should put it here too.

Now I don't know a thing about programming but I have been doing some minor kext editing and terminal work since I got my hackintosh up and running. However, I still claim to know nothing and do not know what any of these edits will do to your hackintosh. For me, the edits fixed my iTunes -50 issue. But again, I know nothing and have only pieced together the actions of others to provide my fix. These "others" are the much more experienced users of this board.

Beware, if you had to perform some trick to get your wireless and or LAN working, this might undo the trick so be prepared to do your trick again to get wireless and or LAN up and running.

If you have any questions about what I'm talking about read the information after the breakdown.

The breakdown:

1. Make sure NetworkInterfaces.plist shows your onboard LAN, if you have one, as BSD Name: en0 and the IOInterfaceUnit should also be 0.

2. Make sure NetworkInterfaces.plist shows your wireless card as BSD Name: en1 and the IOInterfaceUnit as 1.

3. Save

4. Reboot

5. Recheck NetworkInterfaces.plist to see if changes stuck. If not, try again and be sure to save you edits.

6. Try to play low-quality iTunes music.

7. If you still get -50 error, go into /System/Library/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and Preference.plist. These will refresh themselves when you reboot. Beware, if you had to perform some trick to get your wireless and or LAN working, this might undo the trick so be prepared to do your trick again to get wireless and or LAN up and running.

8. Reboot

9. Check NetworkInterfaces.plist to verify wireless as en1 and 1 and LAN as en0 and 0. If good, open iTunes.

10. Try to play some low-quality music. Hopefully it works because this is what worked for me.

the end

just added: if this works, you should also repair your pemissions.

The Background...

Ok. I know I'm new to these boards but I've been trying to figure this -50 error out for the past week. Nothing seems to have worked... until now. The information that each of you has iterated has tied the puzzle together for me and has provided a solution to this -50 error. What I'm hoping is that someone else can verify that this method works. So please give it a try. If this doesn't work for everyone, maybe it will help someone more experienced than me fix the issue.

So you try to play some low quality music that your girlfriend bought off iTunes but when you try to authorize the track you get something to the effect that: itunes would not authorize unkown error -50, blah blah blah. The -50 error is the important thing.

My iTunes authorization worked fine until I changed my wireless from a Belkin F5D7050 USB dongle using Zydas Drivers to a Netgear WG311T PCI card which is recognized as airport using apple drivers. Other people on this forum have mentioned having similar issues when either updating NIC cards or even just updating the kernel. Seems somehow related to DRM issues and MAC addresses but what do I know. Either way, I hope this solution works for others and not just me.

My Netgear WG311T did not work out of the box, but it should have. I initially used a Belkin F5D7050 for my wireless device and the Belkin/Zydas information was recorded in the NetworkInterfaces.plist. When I put in the Netgear card it's information was also recorded in the NetworkInterfaces.plist. Even after removing the Belkin device and deleting the Belkin/Zydas drivers I had to go in and make sure that the NetworkInterfaces.plist had the correct information.

Once in the NetworkInterfaces.plist, I found that my Zydas USB dongle was still showing up as the en1 networking device. I recalled reading on the forums that the wireless device you are using must be listed as en1 and that the onboard LAN or other LAN should be listed as en0. So:

onboard LAN, if you have one, should have the BSD Name: en0 and the IOInterfaceUnit should also be 0.

If there is already something listed as en0 and 0, find out if it's your onboard LAN and if it's not, change it per the instructions above using your plist editor.

My onboard LAN is listed under IOPathMatch as such: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P32@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@8/Intel82557/IOEthernetInterface

I'm assuming yours will look something like that if you have one that is recognized. If you don't have LAN or any kind, go to the next step.

Next, your wireless card should have the BSD Name: en1 with the IOInterfaceUnit listed as 1. Edit it with plist editor if it doesn't have this info.

My Netgear WG311T wireless card is listed as such: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P32@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@1/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface

When I installed my Netgear WG311T, it was listed as en4 which was wrong and is why it didn't show up as an airport card. The Belkin F5D7050 was listed as en1. I basically swapped the two BSD Names and IOInterface Unit(s) thereby making the Belkin en4 and 4 and the Netgear en1 and 1. Obviously, you may have some devices listed that I do not but the important thing seems to be that the main wireless device be listed as en1 and that you have no extra devices listed in the NetworkInterfaces.plist.

Once you have determined the proper values for the NetworkInterfaces.plist, you need to save it and reboot.

After reboot, I found that my Netgear WG311T was still not showing up as an "Airport" in the Network preferences pane. It was showing up but for some reason as an unknown wireless device. I tried accessing girlfriend's poor quality music once again and same damn error: -50. I opened the NetworkInterfaces.plist once again and found that although my BSD Name and IOInterfaceUnits were now correct, the Belkin/Zydas information was still there. Even though that device was no longer plugged in, the information was retained. A few posts on this forum have mentioned having luck getting rid of the iTunes -50 error by deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist from /System/Library/SystemConfiguration and then rebooting. Well, I actually tried this when my Netgear WG311T was listed as en4. It did nothing for me with regards to the -50 error. However, after making the en1 and 1 edits to the NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooting, I decided to delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist again and then reboot in order to just see, per chance, if it would get rid of my unwanted Belkin/Zydas stuff. Following reboot, the Netgear showed up in the network preferences as an airport!!. I opened the NetowrkingInterfaces.plist and found the Belkin/Zydas stuff was gone!!!

Next, I joined my wireless network, I opened iTunes, and it immediately asked if I would accept the iTunes user agreement, which I thought was wierd since I updated iTunes a week or two ago. I then authorized my machine and miraculously, I could play some of girlfriend's low quality music.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if this works for anyone else, or if it's at all helpful. This error was driving me crazy. So even if this method doesn't work for anyone else, I'm glad I got rid of it.

• 1 month later...
Ok here we go....

to fix the itunes problem

1. update your quicktime to the newest version

2. update itunes to the newest version

3. open terminal "cd /applications/"

4. type "ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app" (thanks to who ever posted this)

5. close terminal

6. goto your applications directory

7. you will have a app in there named iTunesPPC.app

8. Right click, show package contents

9. goto the Contents/MacOS/

10. copy the file in there "iTunes"

11. go back to the applications folder

12. Right click on the app named iTunes.app

13. Show Package Contents

14. Browse to Contents/MacOS/

15. Paste the file you have copied overwriting the one in there

16. Go back to applications directory and delete iTunesPPC.app

iTunes NOW WORKS!!!!

Like I said thanks to all who helped!

Dude, You rock! You brought it all together and gave us a conscise easy to follow guide. I applied your instructions and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks

Marc :thumbsdown_anim:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My hackint0sh is built on a Gigabyte Mobo with onboard Realtek network interfaces. I'm using an EFI-X, which doesn't play nice (apparently Realtek's fault) with onboard Realtek chips. To solve the network problems that was causing, I put in a NetGear 311G pci card. This solved the network issues, but caused itunes to be unable to authorize (-50 error) and made all new purchases from the itunes store either unauthorizable (DRM) or corrupt (itunes Plus). Deleting the NetworkInterfaces.plist and Preferences.plist files from /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration and rebooting fixed the problem. Thanks for clueing me in!