Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

Ok guys i managed to get everything 100% working.

For the network to work you have to use the IONetworkingFamily kext from 10.4.7.

For the ich8 controller you have to edit IOATAFamily.kext ->plugins/intel and add the device id in the ich8 sata xml element , the device id is 2820 and vendor 8086 (you don't need to change that).

For the jmicron controller put the correct device id in AppleVIAATA.kext (details in first page of this thread).

For the azalia audio to work use the method posted on the first page of this thread by Conroe Mac.

That's it! Have-fun.

Conroe Mac please add this information on your first post, if you want more detailed information let me know.

Oh i forgot, one issue still pending is that restart does not work, i get the mach_reboot message, that could be fixed be editing the old kernel but now with 10.4.8 it's not working. If anyone found out anything about this please post.

Thanks PION, I'll try it out. I'd like to get a copy of the ICH8 files so I can patch my 10.4.7 see how it works.

I'd just like to report back, I've made an attempt to tweak the DVD to atleast see the IDE channels, and I think I figured out that it's just not possible. Even with the proper kernel extensions. As the disc can't boot far enough to load them.

Upto this point, 10.4.8 hasn't been tested by anyone on with this board. Atleast with any success.

It's like I'm not even here :) I've had it running on this board since wednesday and brought up graphics, networking and booting without the DVD bit by bit in various posts in this thread with links to where I got working advice/patches. Reboot and onboard sound are still touchy, I'll have to try out the package that was just linked.

I used IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.3, I'd love to use a newer version so I'm looking forward to that.

It's like I'm not even here :D I've had it running on this board since wednesday and brought up graphics, networking and booting without the DVD bit by bit in various posts in this thread with links to where I got working advice/patches. Reboot and onboard sound are still touchy, I'll have to try out the package that was just linked.

I used IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.3, I'd love to use a newer version so I'm looking forward to that.

My bad. My brain is all over the place. I think my hopes of getting IDE to work on the DVD have been completely crushed.

Cheer up, it should work eventually. I just applied the jMicron fix supplied above by pion, and on the next reboot by IDE DVD drive worked. Unforunately, on the reboot after that I just got a crossed out circle at boot "still waiting for root device." fixed now, by reverting some changes. I've tried it again since then. Apparently if I'd repaired permissions it would have worked fine. My bad for extracting the individual patches from the package and installing them by hand :-/ In short: it works now.

Working IDE DVD!

Chelhydra's ich8 patch also worked fine, it's what allowed me to recover from the purple ports no longer being usable until I could install the jmicron patch correctly.

Xbench is from 80 to 150/154. (150 is purple port 154 is orange port, slightly faster but both work). Excellent.

I haven't bothered with the onboard sound fix as my PCI soundcard works great.

NOTE: This post went through many edits as I figured out what I screwed up. Chelhydra's and Pion's patches work great. Congrats!

Chelhydra's fix isn't needed for me this time around...wierd. Once I installed I needed it, another install and I didn't.

Eitherway there is better support for ICH8 even on 10.4.8 disc, as I was able to leave "SATA native 0-3 mode" to enabled and get the disc to boot and install.

Hey Pion, would you mind PMing me some info on how you made that package?

Also for me the network fix doesn't work, thankfully I tar'd up my extensions folder from 10.4.7 and threw is on my windows drive before install 10.4.8 .

Audio works, and I'm about to test IDE.

Oh and anyone happen to know what is actually different in the 10.4.8 IONetwork kext from jas 10.4.7?

If it's just a matter of editing a text or some way to script the fix, rather than needing files to be copied would be nice for my guide.

Sweet! IDE works. Audio works as well. I don't see the reboot fix for 10.4.7 working, but i'm gonna try it out anyway.

edit: reboot fix didn't work, suprise suprise. thought now my backup kernel doesn't even want to work :).

I'm don't see the reboot fix for 10.4.7 working, but i'm gonna try it out anyway.

Unfortunately this does not work with 10.4.8. you will destroy the kernel so make sure you keep a backup. I asked semthex to fix this issue with the next kernel release or tell us what should we edit.

If anyone else has fixed this please post, this is the only issue remaining now for DS3!! :D:D

I got 10.4.8 to boot. Got IDE working, got Audio working (that installer was nice :blink:) - but no luck on the internet still.

I have a 965p-s3 board, not the ds3. Looking on newegg, I see the lan chipsets are different. For the s3 it is: Marvell 8056. For the ds3 it is: 88E8053.

Do you think that could be the problem? It's kind of useless without internet :compress:

Unfortunately this does not work with 10.4.8. you will destroy the kernel so make sure you keep a backup. I asked semthex to fix this issue with the next kernel release or tell us what should we edit.

If anyone else has fixed this please post, this is the only issue remaining now for DS3!! :blink::)

Same here, I'm using mifki's kernel though.

I got 10.4.8 to boot. Got IDE working, got Audio working (that installer was nice :huh:) - but no luck on the internet still.

I have a 965p-s3 board, not the ds3. Looking on newegg, I see the lan chipsets are different. For the s3 it is: Marvell 8056. For the ds3 it is: 88E8053.

Do you think that could be the problem? It's kind of useless without internet :angel:

Were you able to get networking to work on 10.4.7 or earlier? Perhaps copying the IONetworkingFamily.kext (exact I only know the IOnetw part is right) from a version that works and running it on 10.4.8 will work.

My XBench score was 134 in 10.4.7, and in 10.4.8 it's around 84... What's going on?

Do I need to move the HDD to the pruple ports?

I used the DS3/4 pack that Pion made, and I have sound & internet working. :)

Ok, it's alright now - I'm getting 201.47 now :)

I guess the -v platform=X86PC fsb=430 helps alot!

I wish I could get that kind of FSB. I still can't break 380.

I didn't know these boards used the platform=X86PC i'll have to add that.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what kind of a difference that kernel flag makes on performance.

Anyway, I'm quite convinced it might be your RAM that is the problem... You are adding volts to the MCH and RAM, right?

Ok, it's alright now - I'm getting 201.47 now :)

I guess the -v platform=X86PC fsb=430 helps alot!

whoa, that's pretty high score for a fsb=430 box.

Mine is at fsb=474 but only got around 189 :)

Btw, is your reboot ok?

I fixed everything but this reboot problem and it is killing me lol

whoa, that's pretty high score for a fsb=430 box.

Mine is at fsb=474 but only got around 189 :)

Btw, is your reboot ok?

I fixed everything but this reboot problem and it is killing me lol

Nope, reboot isn't working. Shutdown does, but reboot doesn't. I think we have to edit the Mifki kernel, but I have no idea how... :)

For the guy with S3 board, theres a Lan solution from Rammjet it would wonderfully, theres a neopehus installer for that too, wich is more perfect yet.

General quaestion:

Does your OC setting stay put in your machines? or not? every rest or power on it stays at what you setted it. ?

THANKS

For the guy with S3 board, theres a Lan solution from Rammjet it would wonderfully, theres a neopehus installer for that too, wich is more perfect yet.

General quaestion:

Does your OC setting stay put in your machines? or not? every rest or power on it stays at what you setted it. ?

THANKS

Yes. This is done through the BIOS. When you save and exit the BIOS, it restarts the PC with the new settings. However, if it becomes unstable and cannot boot to the POST screen, you have to remove the battery on the motherboard for arouns 2 minutes to reset the settings to default. Then you can start again. :)

I wasn't able to find it after searching through the forums. Think you could point me in the right direction? (also, don't forget, I have the 965 board, and you have the 945 board.) Think it would still work? Thanks.

BMXer: I don't want to sound like an a-hole here, but if you put a little more effort into your searching you'll find the info. In fact the info was in this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...858&st=204#

If you set your searches on the forum to return results "as posts" you'll find what your looking for easier.

When the (junk) forum search fails, try using google to search the site (advanced search and insanelymac.com in the domain portion).

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist

search for "8053" (no quotes) and replace with "8056" (no quotes)

Then search for "4362" (no quotes) and replace with "4364"

save the file, repair permissions and reboot.

Let me know if it works. And I'll add it to my Genius bar thread.

Edit: SABR, perhaps a pruning of some of the seemingly random posts in the first 15 pages is in order? Like my OC problems :blink:

edit: pruned some of my stuff.

Yes. This is done through the BIOS. When you save and exit the BIOS, it restarts the PC with the new settings. However, if it becomes unstable and cannot boot to the POST screen, you have to remove the battery on the motherboard for arouns 2 minutes to reset the settings to default. Then you can start again. :D

theres a CMOS jumper on the DS3 mobo, about an inch away from the battery itself.

heatsinkseh4.th.jpg

theres an arrow pointing to a lightswitch in my computer case. ( ran out of toggle switches)

hehe :D i use that with one of those HD LED case leads. a switch on a cmos jumper makes it easier to reset for any overclocker. saves you a lot fumbling around with batteries or jumpers

<3