Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

Sorry i dont know about Samsung, but i just bought 160gb Seagate Baracuda SATA2 and it works great. If you just bought the disk, maybe you can change it for Seagate in your store?

Well the HD is 6 month old. I can´t change it anymore. May be i should buy a Seagate SATA HD for myself and take the other for storage. It seems, that all Seagate SATA HD´s work fine.

Has someone knowledge of SATA DVD-Roms or writers working fine when connected to the purple ports ?

My LG-DVD-Writer works with a SATA-Converter but it uses silly slow PIO-Mode and is far to slow when burning 16xDVD-R !

My current sata drive is a WD and the speeds are terrible. Can someone post a screenshot from a benchmark with a barracuda ?

Omni has found a way with the new kernel to enable QE/CI on nvidia cards, my 7600GT will be fully supported soon, so currently the only thing holding me back are the transfer speeds.

I was thinking getting a 80gb barracuda to use only with OSX, but i want to be 100% sure that this will work.

My current sata drive is a WD and the speeds are terrible. Can someone post a screenshot from a benchmark with a barracuda ?

Omni has found a way with the new kernel to enable QE/CI on nvidia cards, my 7600GT will be fully supported soon, so currently the only thing holding me back are the transfer speeds.

I was thinking getting a 80gb barracuda to use only with OSX, but i want to be 100% sure that this will work.

Which SATA ports is it plugged in to? How long did it take you to install OSx86 onto the drive? Also, have you made the appropriate changes within the BIOS?

Are you aware of the Western Digital compatibility issues we have been having?

Success !

I finally got my SAMSUNG SATA2 to work as it should with OSX.

Connecting to the purple ports with AHCI did not have the same success as those guys here with SEAGATE SATA2 HD´s. So i surfed around the forum and found, that JMicron 360 SATA Host Controller can be used via some kext plist editing. Ok, the DS3 has JMicron 363 onboard. But who cares. I did nearly the same plist changes as the boys with JMicron 360 except that i used 0x2363197b(JMicron 363) compared to 0x2360197B(JMicron 360).

Well i did it with no big expectations and i was totally fascinated by the result.

My SATA and PATA-DVD-Writer, both connected to the JMicron controller work perfect, and the IDE-Burner is connected without SATA-Converter to the green IDE connector.

Here is what i did exactly.

I editet /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then search for

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

change the vendor and device id to the value marked in red.

then do the usual things:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

repair disk permissions

shutdown osx, plug the sata and the ide-optical drive to the JMicron and it should work.

I don´t use AHCI in the bios, maybe it also works with AHCI(not tested). I use IDE-setting for

the JMicron onboard controller.

Update: Choosing AHCI for the JMicron controller works also, but makes no difference in OSX, but it should be better with XP.

Well this did the job for me, and i hope it works also for those who don´t own a compatible harddisk(like WD or so) which works on the purple ports without patching this files.

XBench before patching 51, after patching 159 ! Impressive or ?

Success !

I finally got my SAMSUNG SATA2 to work as it should with OSX.

Connecting to the purple ports with AHCI did not have the same success as those guys here with SEAGATE SATA2 HD´s. So i surfed around the forum and found, that JMicron 860 SATA Host Controller can be used via some kext plist editing. Ok, the DS3 has JMicron 863 onboard. But who cares. I did nearly the same plist changes as the boys with JMicron 860 except that i used 0x2363197b(JMicron 863) compared to 0x2360197B(JMicron 860).

Well i did it with no big expectations and i was totally fascinated by the result.

My SATA and PATA-DVD-Writer, both connected to the JMicron controller work perfect, and the IDE-Burner is connected without SATA-Converter to the green IDE connector.

Here is what i did exactly.

I editet /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then search for

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundeIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Generic AHCI</string>

</dict>

change the vendor and device id to the value marked in red.

then do the usual things:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

repair disk permissions

shutdown osx, plug the sata and the ide-optical drive to the JMicron and it should work.

I don´t use AHCI in the bios, maybe it also works with AHCI(not tested). I use IDE-setting for

the JMicron onboard controller.

Update: Choosing AHCI for the JMircron controller works also, but makes no difference in OSX, but it should be better with XP.

Well this did the job for me, and i hope it works also for those who don´t own a compatible harddisk(like WD or so) which works on the purple ports without patching this files.

XBench before patching 51, after patching 159 ! Impressive or ?

You are the man!

Ok guys. I would be pleased if users without Seagate SATA2 HD´s could test my method, so that we can verify that it works not only for my Samsung Drive.

By the way, i will test it now with 10.4.8 and the new 10.4.8 kernel Jas DVD, which finished downloading after almost 2 days. Let´s see if it works with my method again.

Update to my previous postings:

It should read JMicron 360 and JMicron 363 not 860 and 863.

My IDE-Writer works really well and at full speed. I just burned the new 10.4.8 Jas release with 16x DVD+R and Toast 7.1. That was impossible with

my Writer connected via a SATA-Converter to the ICH8.

forgive me for a stupid question, but JMicron sata is that the orange or purple ports? (I´d guess purple.. the other ones ICH8, right?)

I really would like the orange one to work well since both my purple ones are raided..

JMicron are the purple ports !

Well, I can confirm that the IDE port is now working! Great work julian23! :D

However, I feel my WD HDD is the let down, as I'm still having problems with it booting with SATA Native port 0-3 enabled... ;)

I'm pretty sure this would work for anybody else though. Meaning we now have a fully functional motherboard for OSx86!

Well done Julian23... ;)

Ok, this is weird...

It is now working! My Western Digital Hard Disk Drive is WORKING! :D

The only thing I changed was plug it into the top Purple SATA port, rather than the bottom one... :D

XBench score = 134.23

I think an edit to the first post of this thread + the thread in the Genius Bar is needed...

SABR.

Ok, this is weird...

It is now working! My Western Digital Hard Disk Drive is WORKING! :D

The only thing I changed was plug it into the top Purple SATA port, rather than the bottom one... :D

XBench score = 134.23

I think an edit to the first post of this thread + the thread in the Genius Bar is needed...

SABR.

thats fine. so this proves, that it does not only work for my Samsung Sata !

by the way, did you already tried to install the new 10.4.8 from JaS ?

it does not work for me.

thats fine. so this proves, that it does not only work for my Samsung Sata !

by the way, did you already tried to install the new 10.4.8 from JaS ?

it does not work for me.

Yes, I have tried it. It does not work for me either. This thread discusses it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry221114

Pion makes an interesting comment: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=221093

Anyway, I have now edited and updated the first post to include intructions for the whole procedure. This is a bit long-winded, but worth it.

I cannot say how pleased and greatful I am for what you posted Julian23. I was about to go and purchase another HDD, but thought I should just try plugging it into the other JMB363 port first...

Now all I need to do is edit the Genius Bar topic. I think I may leave that for thedguy though.

Once again, many thanks.

Yes, I have tried it. It does not work for me either. This thread discusses it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry221114

Pion makes an interesting comment: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=221093

Anyway, I have now edited and updated the first post to include intructions for the whole procedure. This is a bit long-winded, but worth it.

I cannot say how pleased and greatful I am for what you posted Julian23. I was about to go and purchase another HDD, but thought I should just try plugging it into the other JMB363 port first...

Now all I need to do is edit the Genius Bar topic. I think I may leave that for thedguy though.

Once again, many thanks.

Thanks, but don’t mention it ! I just had nearly the same problem as you, and this was my last try to get my HD working well, before i go to my local hardware dealer an buy a Seagate drive. I dont´t like it when something isn´t working like it should, and so tried it and it worked. I would call it luck.

Ok, some words to JaS new 10.4.8 DVD. I followed the forumthread and experienced the same problems as Pion. Someone there told me, that he installed it on a 965p Biostar Board with a DVD-IDE connected via IDE to USB converter, and that it works fine inclusive SATA Harddisk with AHCI on the ICH8.

May be it´s not a problem with the chipset, but with the DS3.

Nevertheless the new JaS DVD distributed on Bittorrent has as different MD5 checksum than JaS original. Something got wrong as hundreds of us were downloading it. JaS deleted the tracker already. I have the same wrong MD5 than 20 others on the forum. But this is not the problem for my installationproblems.

So i think we just have to wait for better working version.

Have fun with your new working Western Digital !

Awsome find Julian. Now as soon as I can get another functioning install of OSX, I'll confirm it on my system and update the genious bar post.

Now where did you get the vendor/dev id numbers from? I couldn't get any that worked.

Awsome find Julian. Now as soon as I can get another functioning install of OSX, I'll confirm it on my system and update the genious bar post.

Now where did you get the vendor/dev id numbers from? I couldn't get any that worked.

I got the vendor/device id from Sisoft Sandra tool !

I have a GA-965P-S3. Can I still use my ide hard drive? Or do I need a sata hard drive?

You have to get a running OSX with modifiedn kext's to do it.

You could try installing OSX on it via a usb adapter to the IDE HD, booting that up and modifying it and putting it on the IDE chain, but I'm skeptical on how well that will work.

Just installed JAS' new 10.4.8 DVD on a ga-965g-ds3. I used a USB ODD and plugged my HDD into the top purple SATA port as suggested. The SATA drive is a 250 GB Western Digital, which according to some reports here should have had problems, yet it worked just fine.

Unfortunately I cannot boot into OSX without the DVD in the drive, even though I completely avoided the 10.4.8 Disk Utility (using cfdisk and mkfs.hfsplus from Linux).

I also have no network or audio support. Has anyone been able to get those working with the JAS 10.4.8 DVD? (the original one, in case he puts out another by the time someone reads this).

Haven't had time to try the onboard graphics yet, I've just been using an nVidia 7900gt. Just tried out Titan.kext, and I get Quartz Extreme, Core Image and the lot without artifacts. Yay!

EDIT : 965g not 96g

Ok for those of you guys getting "still waiting for root device" while using only the SATA ports...

Play around with the way the drives are connected to the ports. I've found I had best luck if I used the ports at the top.

Example:

If you insist upon using the Orange Sata ports, and you have 1 HD and 1 sata dvd-rom, connect the HD to the very top orange connector, and the dvd to the one right below it. I had my dvd connected to the 2nd set of connectors lower down, and I was getting "still waiting for root device."

Not sure if the trouble stems from OSX not seeing the 2nd set of ports or if there is a stipulation about using the ports in order with SATA.

SABR: if you could would you amend this to ConroeMac's original post? I've seen quite a few people having this problem before.

i've tried to install 10.4.8 Jas SSE3 release, it works, boots fine, however my on board LAN doesn't work, it detects, but it just doesnt seem to be able to communicate properly.

DHCP can't get me an ip address

specifying ip manually results in me unable to ping any live nodes that would otherwise be avaliable