Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

I think I understand which harddisks will work ornot work, depending on different mode and sata ports on motherboard.

Excactly.

there are two kinds of sata harddisks, native sata harddisk and ide-bridged sata harddisk. Earlier sata disks of the first generation, especially 40G and some 80G disks, are ide-bridged. The most distinct is the chip Narvell 88i8030 or Silicon Image3611 or else, If you connect a normal ide harddisk with an ide-sata converter, you can consider it is a ide-bridged sata disk.

And the ports and modes on the DS3 mobo gives four possibilities

ICH8 - native sata mode enable

ICH8 - native sata mode disable

Jmicron - ide

Jmicron - AHCI

I tried different combination, and the result is listed below.

ICH8 - native sata mode enable -- both do NOT works

ICH8 - native sata mode disable -- both works, but slow speed and 128G limit

Jmicron - ide -- both do not works

Jmicron - AHCI -- native sata disk works (good speed and NO 128G limit), ide-bridged hair disk and optical driver do NOT work.

————————————————————————————————————————

At least we have a satifying solution for harddisk, the only requirement is a native sata harddisk. But what about DVD writer, there are few sata DVD writer in market (perhas it is a ide-bridged device) . The only choice is to connect it to the ich8 sata port, which took half hour to complete a DVD burning. Of cause, firewire and usb2.0 DVD writer can solve the problem.

At least we have a satifying solution for harddisk, the only requirement is a native sata harddisk. But what about DVD writer, there are few sata DVD writer in market (perhas it is a ide-bridged device) . The only choice is to connect it to the ich8 sata port, which took half hour to complete a DVD burning. Of cause, firewire and usb2.0 DVD writer can solve the problem.

Ok, so how do we distinguish the two different types?

If you find chip such as Marvell 88i8030 or Silicon Image3611 on the circuit board of harddisk, it must be a ide-bridged sata harddisk, which is equal to a normal ide disk plus with a ide-sata convertor, in other words, it is not a real sata harddisk. The earliest real (native) sata harddisk is Seagate 7200.7 series, WD and Maxtor more later.

If you find chip such as Marvell 88i8030 or Silicon Image3611 on the circuit board of harddisk, it must be a ide-bridged sata harddisk, which is equal to a normal ide disk plus with a ide-sata convertor, in other words, it is not a real sata harddisk. The earliest real (native) sata harddisk is Seagate 7200.7 series, WD and Maxtor more later.

That still doesnt explain why the wd 250 gb does not work... Would the 10.4.8 updates help at all with this board? have anyone tried?

Hi guys, my first post here

Just got 10.4.7 jas installed on my ds3. Everything went smoothly apart from some minor problems (will be discribed later)

here is the spec of my machine:

gigabyte 965p-ds3

core 2 duo 6300

seagate 7200.9 80G (connected to purple sata port) (mac is installed on this drive)

seagate 7200.8 250G (connected to purple sata port) (windows xp is installed on this drive)

nvidia 7300GT (use the macvidia driver)

Installation:

I followed the tutorial in this forum step by step. note that I use a IDE to USB converter to get my dvd-rom recongnised.

Also I use Acronis os selector to boot

Then upgraded to 10.4.8 jas staight afterwards without any problem. I haven't noticed any difference from 10.4.7 though.

Now here comes the small problems and a question:

The macvidia driver doesn't support ci/qe... i need to wait.

My harddrive's light is constantly on. I think this is caused by ACPI not working properly. Also the sleep doesn't work. Is there a workaround for this?

Now here comes the small problems and a question:

The macvidia driver doesn't support ci/qe... i need to wait.

My harddrive's light is constantly on. I think this is caused by ACPI not working properly. Also the sleep doesn't work. Is there a workaround for this?

Hi Alvin.Su! Welcome to the forum! :)

Ok, well, MacVidia have been working for quite a while on getting a new driver out (a few months), so if you want a cheap solution, you may want to consider buying an ATi Radeon that has full support.

When the computer sleeps, do you have trouble trying to get it up again? That's what happened to me, so I set it to never sleep. You'll have to do that through System Preferences => Power (or something like that...).

SABR.

Hi Alvin.Su! Welcome to the forum! :)

Ok, well, MacVidia have been working for quite a while on getting a new driver out (a few months), so if you want a cheap solution, you may want to consider buying an ATi Radeon that has full support.

When the computer sleeps, do you have trouble trying to get it up again? That's what happened to me, so I set it to never sleep. You'll have to do that through System Preferences => Power (or something like that...).

SABR.

Hi SABR, thanks for you reply.

Well, I click Sleep from the top menu. then the system simply gets dead.

In you bios, did you choose S3 or S1 in the power managerment?

Also, can you post your boot.plist file here? Thanks

Hi SABR, thanks for you reply.

Well, I click Sleep from the top menu. then the system simply gets dead.

In you bios, did you choose S3 or S1 in the power managerment?

Also, can you post your boot.plist file here? Thanks

Well, I don't currently have OSx86 installed on my computer, so I can't get you my boot.plist file, unfortunately. What is it that you want to know from it?

I'm waiting for a SATA HDD first... But I have tried both Power Management settings, and they don't do anything. I suggest to simply turn sleep off, until we can figure out how to get ACPI working.

suddently my hackintosh started acting up. When I turn it on it hangs on the apple logo. I found out that if I press and hold F8 at startup it actually goes forward and loads but I have to do that at a very specific moment or it will not load. I figure that out while trying to get to darwin to find out why it wasnt loading. Any thoughts on this? It used to load just fine.

ds3, seagate sata 320gb connected to purple, 2gb.

Hi guys, this is my first time building a complete system from scratch and I cant seem to get the system going.

When i turn on the computer it keeps rebooting itself while the motherboard keeps beeping. I checked the manual and it says that its a power problem but I think I connected my power cords correctly.

1) connected the cpu fan to the 4pin 12v cpu fan power outlet on the motherboard.

2) connected the 24 pin ATX power connector to the psu.

3) connected ATX 12V power connectoer to the psu.

The sys fan power connector however is not connected to anything. I tried to connect it to the psu directly but when I did that the computer wouldnt boot at all. If im missing something please let me know.

My setup:

Gigabyte 965P DS3

Ultra V 500W PSU

Core 2 Duo E6300

2 x 1G Corsair XMS2 DDR675

400G Seagate SATA 7200.10

eVGA 7900GTO

Lite-On 16x DVDR

Coolermaster Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi guys, this is my first time building a complete system from scratch and I cant seem to get the system going.

When i turn on the computer it keeps rebooting itself while the motherboard keeps beeping. I checked the manual and it says that its a power problem but I think I connected my power cords correctly.

1) connected the cpu fan to the 4pin 12v cpu fan power outlet on the motherboard.

2) connected the 24 pin ATX power connector to the psu.

3) connected ATX 12V power connectoer to the psu.

The sys fan power connector however is not connected to anything. I tried to connect it to the psu directly but when I did that the computer wouldnt boot at all. If im missing something please let me know.

My setup:

Gigabyte 965P DS3

Ultra V 500W PSU

Core 2 Duo E6300

2 x 1G Corsair XMS2 DDR675

400G Seagate SATA 7200.10

eVGA 7900GTO

Lite-On 16x DVDR

Coolermaster Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do you see anything display on the screen? How much voltage does your RAM require?

DS3 boots ram at 1.8v default, if your ram requires 2.2v to be stable... there lies the problem.

you may have to find a {censored} stick of ddr2 to boot the ds3 up, change ram voltage to 2.2v or higher, then install your good DDR2.

its actually a quite common problem with ds3..

I stumbled on this thread and hope to piggyback on this discussion. I hope you don't mind; I have an MSI board with 965 chipset (P965 Neo, core 2 duo e6400). I bought it thinking a newer intel chipset would be the way to go for a dual boot system, but all I get when I try to install from DVD is the cryptic message: "Com.apple.Boot.plist not found". The same disk installed with few problems on an ASrock board with AMD sempron and Via chipset. I think I'll try the IDE to SATA converter and see if that helps. I gather most people think there is no chance of hacking Leopard to run - is this because of the TPM implementation?

JornaHow

Hi all!

I just wanted to say thanks to Conroe Mac for starting this and Sabr for showing me that i'm not crazy.

I talked my GF into letting me try this Hack'intosh idea rather than her buying a MAC and a PC... now I'm not so sure it was a good idea LOL.

I'm almost 100% thinking my (and Sabr's) problems with not being able to install OSX in any usable way on the PURPLE tabs are from the WD SATA's. It took me 14 hrs (new record) to do a full install of OSX and 6 hrs to do one without all the printer drivers and such. If I use the IDE to USB drive it's only 25 min or so. I'm going to try a different brand in a few days but am I right?! I don't need another drive (My own unit already has 1 TB of WD hard drives in it dam). Someone tell me if they think I'm right cuz I can't tell where up is any more (after MANY late nights).

Here is the setup:

Intel 6300 Core2 (Faster than my own AMDX2 3800+ )

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

OSX 10.4.7 JaS ISO DVD

ATI X1900GT (Great in XP and OSX)

One IDE WD 160GB (External with IDE to USB2)

Two SATAII WD 250 GB (Internal running XP + storage)

Logitech KB and Mouse wireless (works in both OSX and XP)

Trendnet Wi-Fi PCI card (XP only)

Logitch Cam (XP only)

I am having the same problems you guys are having.

-IDE is dead (Using IDE to USB for the DVD/CD)

-Audio is not working (Will fix with posted info, thx's!)

-Reboot not working (same fixes)

-SATAII not working fast.

THe X1900 is awsome. Works 100% with the patch included durring the OSX install. Can't say enough good things. QE works too. I tried a X1600 made by 3D Com (or something like that) and it crashed BAD.

Used the "Chain0" trick to dual boot and it works great. Here it is for anyone asking:

Copy "CHAIN0" from your OSX DVD and put it on C:\

Now edit your "boot.int" file and add "C:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.7" so that it reads:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP....

C:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.7

save it and reboot. Done.

Otherwise I love this MoBo... So I'm safe to asume that everyone is finding their setup to be working great once they fixed the SATA speed isues? Cuz I may just go and chuck this WD if thats the case. Please help.

(Going to post this twice in different threads I hope thats ok)

Ok thanks, I guess i'll try a different drive :'-(

I just don't get it... I thought a SATA WD and a SATA something else would do the same thing. Sabr have you switched drives yet? has anyone. I can't really go out and spend any more cash unless i'm sure (2 MoBo's + 3 Video cards into this project).

Just to confirm: The Gigabyte SATA controller on mine (Purple tabs) is the same as everyone elses on here right? I'm using the GA-965P-S3 so I know it's the same Intel chip.

Sorry, i'm still a little new to all this!

Ok thanks, I guess i'll try a different drive :'-(

I just don't get it... I thought a SATA WD and a SATA something else would do the same thing. Sabr have you switched drives yet? has anyone. I can't really go out and spend any more cash unless i'm sure (2 MoBo's + 3 Video cards into this project).

Just to confirm: The Gigabyte SATA controller on mine (Purple tabs) is the same as everyone elses on here right? I'm using the GA-965P-S3 so I know it's the same Intel chip.

Sorry, i'm still a little new to all this!

Well, I bought one off eBay (a Seagate Barracuda) and it was faulty. I didn't get my money back ( :) ) but I am planning on buying one closer to Christmas.

All I can say is I'm 99% sure it's the WD drives... It seems everyone else has it working, apart from 3 or 4 of us, who - surprise, surprise - all have WD HDD's. Coincidence? I don't think so... The only thing different in everyones settings / setup (despite RAM, GPU etc... [which shouldn't really have an impact on installing OSx86]) is the HDD.

My spec is in my signature - Do you have anything the same as me (apart from the CPU & HDD)?

P.S. The S3 is the same as the DS3 except Solid Capacitors, which are present on the DS3/4 and DQ6 :)

Change that from 99% to 100% sure!!!!

It IS the WD drives. I couldn't take it any more and ran down to a store that has a good return policy, got myself a Seagate 320GB and POW hooked it up to the purple tabs. Instal was 9 min (9 minutes!!! ahhh, I waited 14 hrs orig.) with only the basics and patches.

Runs FAST :D

Sabr, thanks for the info on the MoBo. I have the same brand RAM (1 GB), same HD, ATI X1900, and Intel 6300 Core2.

After all of this, I may just build one for myself (once my AMD packs it in... so in 10 yrs) b/c this MAC OSX is a nice OS.

Now that I have a fix for the restart, audio (thanks guys) and a drive that works this board is great.

Now i just have to sell this WD... too bad cuz I like WD. Haven't had the best of luck with Seagates in the past :)

Great! Now we can edit the HowTo in the Genius Bar. Thanks for your contribution to this forum BigBird, much appreciated.

I'm glad you have it working good now! :)

Word of advice (something I didn't know about when I first started): Do NOT update OSx86 through the Update thing in OS X. Otherwise it'll ruin the install, and you'll have to start again. :)

Hello !

I just installed Jas 10.4.7 Release with my Samsung Sata HD and LG-Burner(connected via a SATA-Converter) to the ICH8. Everything worked fine. Installation completed in about 30 minutes. To get fast RW-access from my HD i hooked up my Samsung SATA to the purple Sata Connector in order to get it going with AHCI in OSX, but it does not work properly. It boots, but like a snake walking a mile. The HD-Led ist permantly on, then sometimes it flashes and OSX boots a little bit further, then it stops booting and the LED is permantly on again.This cycle repeats for about 5 Minutes till OSX is finally at the desktop stage, but it´s impossible to use. Diskaccess is totally worse with AHCI and my HD.

I think Samsung SATA HD´s are also not comaptible with AHCI and OSX.

By the way, AHCI works fine with Windows XP and SUSE Linux 10.1. There are no problem, and HD-speed is like the ICH8.

Has someone the same problem or did i something wrong? I followed the tutorials, Bios Settings etc. !