Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

BMXer: I don't want to sound like an a-hole here, but if you put a little more effort into your searching you'll find the info. In fact the info was in this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...858&st=204#

If you set your searches on the forum to return results "as posts" you'll find what your looking for easier.

When the (junk) forum search fails, try using google to search the site (advanced search and insanelymac.com in the domain portion).

Let me know if it works. And I'll add it to my Genius bar thread.

I didn't know about using google to search the site, I will keep that in mind next time. I actually did what you said, but didn't do it through the terminal, nor did I repair disk permissions.

Anyways, it works. I'm typing this from it right now. Thanks again.

P.S. Sorry about not searching enough! :blink:

I didn't know about using google to search the site, I will keep that in mind next time. I actually did what you said, but didn't do it through the terminal, nor did I repair disk permissions.

Anyways, it works. I'm typing this from it right now. Thanks again.

P.S. Sorry about not searching enough! :P

Glad to hear it works, once I get done with setting up 10.4.8 properly I'll add it to the howto. A good policy to follow is whenever dealing with system files (or think you may be) repair the permissions.

As far as the search goes, no matter how many times I searched the forum I couldn't get any useful results with "8056" even though it should have. Oddly enough after I maid my previous post, the proper post came up. Go figure.

Considering how well this site is archived on google usually searching google for what you want and just adding "insanelymac" (no quotes) to the search works wonders. And it still took some interesting trickery to find.

bmxer84: I'm interested in this 8056 issue. I don't have a DS3 or S3 but a P5B Deluxe. When I change (with the perl command) 8053 to 8056 and dev id to 4364 in the AppleYukon.kext I get this in my dmesg:

yukonosx: Ethernet address 00:18:f3:2d:f8:ed

AppleYukon: error - PCI express protocol violation error

AppleYukon: error - unexpected IRQ Status error

AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 skgehw - cppSkDrvEvent - SK_DRV_ADAP_FAIL

Two questions; do you get this and is your 8056 connected via PCI or PCIe on the mobo??

Errm.... actually a third one. Did I miss something (could you please give a detailed description of what you did???)

theres a CMOS jumper on the DS3 mobo, about an inch away from the battery itself.

heatsinkseh4.th.jpg

theres an arrow pointing to a lightswitch in my computer case. ( ran out of toggle switches)

hehe :( i use that with one of those HD LED case leads. a switch on a cmos jumper makes it easier to reset for any overclocker. saves you a lot fumbling around with batteries or jumpers

Well, it would be easy for me.... If my graphics card fan did not get in the way...

bmxer84: I'm interested in this 8056 issue. I don't have a DS3 or S3 but a P5B Deluxe. When I change (with the perl command) 8053 to 8056 and dev id to 4364 in the AppleYukon.kext I get this in my dmesg:

yukonosx: Ethernet address 00:18:f3:2d:f8:ed

AppleYukon: error - PCI express protocol violation error

AppleYukon: error - unexpected IRQ Status error

AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 skgehw - cppSkDrvEvent - SK_DRV_ADAP_FAIL

Two questions; do you get this and is your 8056 connected via PCI or PCIe on the mobo??

Errm.... actually a third one. Did I miss something (could you please give a detailed description of what you did???)

Does the p5b deluxe use the 8056? I was under the impession it used something else, especially since it's got dual Gigabit lan rather than the single the S3/Ds3's have.

hi

what about ga965p-dq6 ?

anyone tried it ??

From what I can tell you'll have trouble with the audio, but the chipset is fully supported with 10.4.8, I think you may need to edit a .plist file for ICH8R (ds3/s3 only have ICH8). Info should be on this page or the one previous.

Confirmed, reboot fixed!

Finally the DS3 is fully supported.

Yup, works for me too.

However, has anyone noticed that when you use Semthex's kernel - Adium always crashes? When I switch back to Mifki's, it works fine... :rolleyes:

Where can I grab the latest kernel?

Am I the only one who has slow bootup issue's? Since 10.4.7 it's slowed down a lot. when I boot with "-v" I notice I'm getting some error from kextd (kext daemon?).

julian23's tip was good for me

but, when I booted up OSX with AHCI(Seagate SATA2 Hard), I met an Error(That means that osx cannot recognize hdd, but recognized).

I saw the System Information, then there was two same hdd(one is SATA, one is AHCI)

I change SATA tip to PATA tip. then problem was gone

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

then search for:

<key>VIA PATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>82C571</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197B 0x5711106</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>ISA Bridge Matching</key>

<dict>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x06010000&0xffff0000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<false/>

</dict>

add the vendor and device id marked in red.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

repair disk permissions

that's all

no need :angel: AHCI change

Where can I grab the latest kernel?

Am I the only one who has slow bootup issue's? Since 10.4.7 it's slowed down a lot. when I boot with "-v" I notice I'm getting some error from kextd (kext daemon?).

My computer got much slower too. What hd do you have? Seagate sata here.

yo

just to let you know that the Gigabyte GA965P-DQ6 doen t work with the tutorial

i m able to see the HD, format it & part it but after the install the computer hang when it s about to reboot ( after the optimisation when it says " your computer will reboot in 24 secondes") and the HD is empty !!

too bad :/

EDIT : ok i mananged to get OSX booting but only witrh the 10.4.8 dvd in the dvd drive darwin doesn t start without the dvd ...

i ll try another bootloader

yo

just to let you know that the Gigabyte GA965P-DQ6 doen t work with the tutorial

i m able to see the HD, format it & part it but after the install the computer hang when it s about to reboot ( after the optimisation when it says " your computer will reboot in 24 secondes") and the HD is empty !!

too bad :/

Did you make sure to install ICH8 support when given the options of what to install?

My computer got much slower too. What hd do you have? Seagate sata here.

Same, but my speed issue's are only with bootup, and it has something to do with some kernel extension having trouble loading. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Did you make sure to install ICH8 support when given the options of what to install?

Same, but my speed issue's are only with bootup, and it has something to do with some kernel extension having trouble loading. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I did, and now I get around 40 on xbench when i used to get 55 on 10.4.7. Do you think it could be related to the fact that i have two HDDs connected to the jmicron? Both hds are seagate sata, one has windows and the other osx. :)

Oh your on the Jmicron. Ditch those and put them on the ICH8 ports. With the ICH8 drivers in 10.4.8 the system runs faster.

With 10.4.8 the only use the Jmicron controller should have is for IDE.

I tried it and it is even slower. What could possibly be missing?

Here is what I get with the HD connected to the first ICH8 (orange) port:

Disk only Results 36.37

ok, now here is something really interesting: If I use -v platform=X86PC fsb=680 (though my fsb is really set to 340), I get these results: (why? :angel: and are they really true?)

Results 345.05

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3320620AS

CPU Test 319.80

GCD Loop 723.86 38.16 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 349.12 8.30 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 258.90 8.54 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 227.31 39.58 Mops/sec

Thread Test 618.64

Computation 567.33 11.49 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 680.15 29.26 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 387.76

System 393.32

Allocate 309.89 1.14 Malloc/sec

Fill 427.28 20775.27 MB/sec

Copy 485.44 10026.67 MB/sec

Stream 382.35

Copy 351.56 7261.29 MB/sec

Scale 368.52 7613.46 MB/sec

Add 408.43 8700.37 MB/sec

Triad 407.30 8713.17 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 526.08

Line 380.84 25.36 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 511.89 152.83 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 484.01 39.45 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 429.57 10.83 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 1883.81 117.84 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 511.74

Spinning Squares 511.74 649.17 frames/sec

User Interface Test 1584.32

Elements 1584.32 7.27 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 117.94

Sequential 289.46

Uncached Write 304.34 186.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 271.43 153.57 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 286.83 83.94 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 297.43 149.49 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 74.06

Uncached Write 24.93 2.64 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 192.95 61.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 187.89 1.33 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 295.12 54.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

UPDATE: ok these results are definitely not truthful, and I apologize for my ignorance. I still can't figure out what is the right value to put on the -v platform, but for sure not 2xfsb.

Oh your on the Jmicron. Ditch those and put them on the ICH8 ports. With the ICH8 drivers in 10.4.8 the system runs faster.

With 10.4.8 the only use the Jmicron controller should have is for IDE.

Are you saying our HDD's should be connected on the yellow SATA ports?! Mine refuses to work unlesss in the purple ones... :2cents:

Perhaps it's because I have a WD HDD...

Are you saying our HDD's should be connected on the yellow SATA ports?! Mine refuses to work unlesss in the purple ones... :(

Perhaps it's because I have a WD HDD...

you have to enable sata native on bios and plug it to first yellow port. All this under 10.4.8 with ICH8 installed.