Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

Anyone mind listing what drives they are using successfully with their adapters, and as much info about their adapters as possible (brand name, model numbers, serial numbers anything at all)? Right now I'm stuck with running 2 drives in my system just so I can burn discs in windows and use linux (but I can't burn in linux, which I want to be able to do).

Sure.

Converter: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

The item packaging doesn't actually have a company name on it. The only thing I can name it, is that product code: HW-628.

My DVD drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827101664 (closest thing I could find to it)

It was a BENQ DVD Burner drive that cost me around $34 at the time. The newegg item product number was N82E16827101010. There are quite alot of results for it on google, but I can't find a link to the actual product :)

However, thedguy, my guess is that your converter is the problem. I think the people just lied to you...

Well I traded in the sata converter. Same problem, granted it's the exact same model/brand I had before, I was just hoping it was bad.

I know better than this, but I'm wondering if it's just incompatibilies between the drives and the adapter? The shop claims to have it working, and the shop's owner is pretty cool. I sent him to this board as he was interested in getting osx going on his Asus P5B. He needs the adapter to boot OSX, so he grabbed the one I used, and is gonna try it on his board. If it work for him, I'm gonna considering doing the getto rental from best buy or compusa with a dvd drive. There is an off-beat chance I just happen to have 3 drives that aren't willing to work with it.

Otherwise I'll have to look into a different converter, if any truly exist. I personally think all of the converters are the same designs.

Hmmm, well, if you want to buy one like mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/Serial-ATA-SATA-To-IDE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Did you try the converter on a diferent PC altogether? Or just with different drives on the DS3?

There is an off-beat chance I just happen to have 3 drives that aren't willing to work with it.

Well, yes, there is, but I'm willing to bet against it...

I've tried it on a Pioneer drive, which I've read another person had trouble with. The drive thats giving me huge problems I've found someone that had no problem with (though mine is a rebadged version).

I've tried it on my DS3, an ECS c19-a and an abit aw8-d.

I may grab one like yours. I did notice yours does appear to be a little different from mine, for instance, mine has a special jumper on it, yours seems to lack that.

I may grab one like yours. I did notice yours does appear to be a little different from mine, for instance, mine has a special jumper on it, yours seems to lack that.

Yeah, I'm going with the converter on this. As you have said, it is the only thing that has remained constant throughout.

Mine actually has a brand name on it, and lacks a couple of small chips. Mine also has a jumper on it. Judging from pictures, SABR's is quite different.

I'm gonna take mine back next time I'm in town and order a different one up off ebay tomarrow.

Ok So How about this convertor. Is this the one you have or the one SABR has.

BTW I think it reads HW-628 REV 1.0. SABRs convertor also seems to say exactly this.

SATA-IDE Convetor

Ok after further investigation: those convertors are they same.

Anyone here managed to get the Western Digital harddiscs to work ? Specially the SE16 320GB 16MB cache SATA version. I ordered now the Seagate* but these discs are nowhere as silent as the WD discs and personally I dont trust seagate anymore after 2 broken discs in the past.

*Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300 (ST3320620AS)

Ok So How about this convertor. Is this the one you have or the one SABR has.

BTW I think it reads HW-628 REV 1.0. SABRs convertor also seems to say exactly this.

SATA-IDE Convetor

Ok after further investigation: those convertors are they same.

Anyone here managed to get the Western Digital harddiscs to work ? Specially the SE16 320GB 16MB cache SATA version. I ordered now the Seagate* but these discs are nowhere as silent as the WD discs and personally I dont trust seagate anymore after 2 broken discs in the past.

*Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300 (ST3320620AS)

The one I purchased is a Rosewill, and anyone selling them online will mention it. If it's not mentioned in the auction or anywhere on their site, it's safe to assume it's different.

edit Holy {censored}! It works. I talked to the shop owner (I assume he's the owner) and he got my adapter to work, so I bougth an NEC 3550a from him, as it worked for him. I can burn fine. I guess the drives I have just don't like the adapter.

The one I purchased is a Rosewill, and anyone selling them online will mention it. If it's not mentioned in the auction or anywhere on their site, it's safe to assume it's different.

edit Holy {censored}! It works. I talked to the shop owner (I assume he's the owner) and he got my adapter to work, so I bougth an NEC 3550a from him, as it worked for him. I can burn fine. I guess the drives I have just don't like the adapter.

Hi !

Good for you man! :thanks_speechbubble: Now your baby can fly! :)

Let us know what happens next ! Test everything. Burn all modes etc...

xerxes

BTW I have a NEC 2510: fingers crossed :D

Have anyone tested with a real Sata dvd-r yet, or will i be the first?

The aren´t that much more expensive than IDE dvd´s..

You are right. Plus buying a convertor is not cheap either. Thing is that most of us have already an IDE drive. But if I buy a new burner it definitly would be a SATA. Just try it I think it will go just fine.

Guys can you all list your hardware so we can make a list of it. Dont forget the harddrive. Conroemac could add this info to the begin of the topic in a table. So we can see what harddware works with this motherboard and what not and why not.

Guys can you all list your hardware so we can make a list of it. Dont forget the harddrive. Conroemac could add this info to the begin of the topic in a table. So we can see what harddware works with this motherboard and what not and why not.

I am taking a wild guess with some evidence to back it up, but if you have the chance to buy a Western Digital SE16 (SATAII) drive, DON'T! There are two of us who have these drives, and we are the only people who cannot get this thing working on AHCI...

Have anyone tested with a real Sata dvd-r yet, or will i be the first?

The aren´t that much more expensive than IDE dvd´s..

I went the converter route because I litterally have DVD burners laying around.

Unforfortunately for me, none of 'em worked with my converter so I had to buy a new drive...

Because of having to buy a converter AND a drive, I could have spent another $20USD and

bought the plextor SATA burner. And I'm more than willing to spend $20 for a plextor drive, the last one I had was the best burner I've ever owned.

I am taking a wild guess with some evidence to back it up, but if you have the chance to buy a Western Digital SE16 (SATAII) drive, DON'T! There are two of us who have these drives, and we are the only people who cannot get this thing working on AHCI...

Yeah I was afraid you were going to say that. I love those WDs and I read really bad reviews on the Seagate 7200.10 THey are pretty noisy compared to the WDs.

Meanwhile I cancelled my WD :P and ordered a Seagate. I hope someone gets the WDs to work fast. Maybe I can change my order then. :D

Yeah I was afraid you were going to say that. I love those WDs and I read really bad reviews on the Seagate 7200.10 THey are pretty noisy compared to the WDs.

Meanwhile I cancelled my WD :angel: and ordered a Seagate. I hope someone gets the WDs to work fast. Maybe I can change my order then. :robot:

Well, I'm not saying for definate, but it seems very likely... However, I can only say for sure when I manage to get my hands on a different drive

But yeah, my WD is extremely quiet!

I don't think anybody has tackled the audio in yet. I believe our audio is ALC 883. Check the threads that deal with ALC883 and maybe they can shed some light on a solution. If you find one, be sure to post it here so you can help everyone out!

just some additional information for gigabyte users here.

I am using a ga-965p-s3(not the ds3) which has all the similar components, except for the gigabit network card.

10.4.7 can not recognized this network adapter on the fly. However, since both are the same marvell chip except for s3 is using 8056 and ds3 is using 8053.

follow the OP for all the changes and add the following two lines in the script file.

sudo perl -pi -e 's/8053/8056/g' /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist

sudo perl -pi -e 's/4362/4364/g' /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist

reload the extensions and reboot. everything is working as it should.

Just my experience here. any one want to save a few bucks on the MB can go for the S3.

Greetings all,

I have tested and verified that WD SATA drives are not compatible with this board and the 965G version. I have purchased and returned both since. Also, note: the GMA X3000 does not have QE-CI or GL support on any level. It recognizes as a generic VGA. I think we got a long way to go before onboard graphics and ICH8 chips function good & happy with OSX86. Nothing but hell with these boards.

I have recently purchased the AsRock 945G-DVI and aside from Onboard ethernet and kext editing the sound, everything works as it should. Even the ADD2 card that comes with it functions well with my Apple Cinema Display 20". Also, reboot and shutdown works fantastically, no kext torquing of any kind required.

As for the GA-965G-DS3, I think skipping this board is recommended if you got WD SATA drives and a ton of IDE drives. Neither will work.

Synthology