Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

No, 320 GB.

Can you check with some other HDD? I would, but i have only IDE HDD and no converter. Though I'd hate to see that it is HDD's fault :sorcerer:

Unfortunately I'm in the same position as you. I have tons of PATA HDD's, but this is my only SATA HDD.

I have a feeling one of us is going to have to be the guinea pig in this experiment. Are you up for buying a cheap SATA HDD? :)

Okay, here I am, throwing money outta my wallet again (Remember the rubbish PATA to SATA convertor I bought? :sorcerer:).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130030456412 This time it's a Seagate Barracuda 80GB HDD SATA. I'm the current highest bidder, but I'm not going over what I have put my maximum in for.

If this does not work, I'm officially saying bye bye to OSx86 until Leopard comes around...

SABR, don't you have a usb to ide converter? If you do, just put your dvd drive on that, and hook a spare IDE hd to the SATA converter you have. I advise against using a western digital drive for this test. I can verify a Seagate drive works.

SABR, don't you have a usb to ide converter? If you do, just put your dvd drive on that, and hook a spare IDE hd to the SATA converter you have. I advise against using a western digital drive for this test. I can verify a Seagate drive works.

No, I don't have a USB to IDE converter...

Reboot Fixed

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=20

1. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

2. Type the following:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_noacpi

3. Download this: 0xED.

4. Install it and run it.

5. Click File -> open by path.

6. Enter the path: /Volumes/<your root disk here>/<your username here>/Desktop/mach_kernel

7. You will see the kernel in hex.

8. Click in the box labelled offset. Type 8D2B8

9. The cursor will move to the correct line.

10. Find the letters EB FE 90 90

11. Replace them with B0 FE E6 64.

12. Save and exit

13. Go back to the terminal

14. Type:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

<type your password>

Now type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The boot plist file will open. Find the section <string></string> and insert Platform=ACPI so the line looks like this:

<string>Platform=ACPI</string>

Save and exit by pushing Ctrl+X then Y.

15. Now shutdown your computer. When you have restarted it, the shutdown and restart options should both work.

This only works on the 10.4.4 kernel supplied with Myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 disk, and Jas' 10.4.6 (I think!). Bottom line check what you're replacing before you do it. If it doesn't match, don't do it!!

Hex editing your kernel without being sure what you are doing is a sure recipe for disaster. If your language is a barrier to understanding the above, I suggest you leave it alone and put up with the problem. If you are still keen, use a fresh install or at least ensure you have backed up your system.

If things do break, try booting from the mach_kernel_noacpi in your Desktop, or copy the kernel back from your boot DVD.

** This information reproduced from a post by TokyoVigilante at this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=60

If you have questions about this technique or how to uninstall in case of a problem, consult that thread.

*** Personal Notes: Be very careful when using 0xED to align everything correctly. If you simply type in the values for the hex, it will push the code forward and ruin your mach_kernel! Make sure you delete before you insert and watch to make sure that you have exactly replaced the old code.

This is confirmed working with 10.4.6 Jas on my system.

I have a OS X 10.4.6, I went ahead and did the Software Updates, all seem to be well. By just nearly the end of the process, it freezes! However, I'm still able to move my cursor around. So I ended up doing the only thing I knew, hold the power. When I boot into Acronis, I select Mac OSX, I it will prompt me to restart my computer either by holding the power....

How do I get into the Terminal if I'm always at this point? This case is on my laptop (Fujitsu S6230). Centrino 1.6Ghz (SSE2). The same is also happening to my desktop, but it occurs a step before in my laptop's case. After installation when I click the restart button, it would just stay there forever, and so I would manually turn it off. Then it would prompt me with the same message as from the laptop.

KUTIN, it's quite obvious that it didn't install properly, so I would try installing again ;) However, to get into the terminal, you need to type -s at the Darwin Boot Prompt (which should be before you get that error message).

-s should take you into terminal.. if not, I would recommend a reinstall.. refer to the original thread that this idea was taken from.. I linked to the thread at the bottom...

Here it is again:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=60

This thread is not for discussion of that technique. I don't really understand it at all (even though I posted it.) It's simply in this thread because it works to fix the reboot problem. If you have a problem, post in that thread for troubleshooting help. There's seven pages covering that topic already.

Kuzbad also posted an alternative technique to the one I used three posts below my technique. This other technique has it's own thread as well:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks)

SABR- I'm in the same boat for throwing money out. My graphics cards still has no solution (and it's an X1600!) I bought this card for the purpose of compatibility.

Who said you were going to save money by building your own Hackintosh? Unless you're lucky and you take exactly the right steps, you'll end up paying about the same amount.

That's part of the game I guess. For awhile, I thought this motherboard was completely incompatible. I was about to sell it. But then some break throughs came and I was able to make this thread to help other people out. You never know if things will get figured out, or if you're just SOL. I guess that's the twisted kind of fun we're having. =)

Who said you were going to save money by building your own Hackintosh? Unless you're lucky and you take exactly the right steps, you'll end up paying about the same amount.

What is interesting on my side is that I got a ds3, an x1900gt and a Seagate sata (could have gotten a western digital) and it all ended up working just fine with osx, my intention at first was just to upgrade my windows pc but I saw this thread and it all changed. I did throw some money on a ide to sata converter for my cd/dvd though. :compress:

What is interesting on my side is that I got a ds3, an x1900gt and a Seagate sata (could have gotten a western digital) and it all ended up working just fine with osx, my intention at first was just to upgrade my windows pc but I saw this thread and it all changed. I did throw some money on a ide to sata converter for my cd/dvd though. :angel:

This is pretty much the same boat I'm in. My bro has been all gung-hoe about getting OSX86 so I had the advantage of him knowing a bit about it.

I'm extremely close to sending this damn board back though. I can not get dvd's to burn on this freakin' board, and the shop I bought the sata/ide converter from says it works fine on their test bench. :angry::compress::wallbash:

EDIT: I'm sending this :censored2: -ker back as soon as I decide on a proper NON 965/jmb micron based replacement.

thedguy, I'm sorry to hear that.

It is rather strange that you can't burn CD's/DVD's though... Are you able to do so when using an IDE cable for the CD/DVD-RW (and plugging it into the Green IDE port)?

If so, it's your converter. If not, it's your drive...

thedguy, I'm sorry to hear that.

It is rather strange that you can't burn CD's/DVD's though... Are you able to do so when using an IDE cable for the CD/DVD-RW (and plugging it into the Green IDE port)?

If so, it's your converter. If not, it's your drive...

Aberracus: thanks for the recomendation, but I don't plan to purchase another gigabye product EVER.

SABR: I tried to take the converter back yesterday. I tried it on 2 different dvd drives, and odly enough only my older drive worked with it at all. The shop tested it on thier system, burning a DVD and CD and said they didn't have a problem with it. I know the drives are good, and I've had them burn fine on a USB adapter but thats about it.

Thedguy your problem is using a non supported chipset under osx, i stick to supported ones and my experience with osx is awesome.

Yes, but he couldn't even burn a disc in Windows...

thedguy, would you like me to maintain the Gigabyte DS3 thread in the tutorial section? I figure that if you don't own the board, you're not going to be too interested in our developments. However, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thedguy your problem is using a non supported chipset under osx, i stick to supported ones and my experience with osx is awesome.

I'm not using OSX to burn. I have no idea how. OSX was only ever put on my system to help get it working and to write the guide, I'd reboot to windows just to browse the web even. My problems are with windows and Linux, OS' that should/are supported officially by the manufacturer.

thedguy, would you like me to maintain the Gigabyte DS3 thread in the tutorial section? I figure that if you don't own the board, you're not going to be too interested in our developments. However, correct me if I'm wrong :)

I'd like to say I will, and I'll keep an eye on developments. But I won't have the advantage of testing before I post any info though, and I'd rather someone who can do testing do it. Guarantee's validity of the information.

I would like to see the thread transformed into a general 965 thread, rather than just the Gigabyte 965 stuff.

I haven't gotten rid of the board yet, and won't till monday, and perhaps there's a god out there that will help me get this going. Not a whole lot of gods left though, I've pissed off most of 'em :D

I'd like to say I will, and I'll keep an eye on developments. But I won't have the advantage of testing before I post any info though, and I'd rather someone who can do testing do it. Guarantee's validity of the information.

I would like to see the thread transformed into a general 965 thread, rather than just the Gigabyte 965 stuff.

I haven't gotten rid of the board yet, and won't till monday, and perhaps there's a god out there that will help me get this going. Not a whole lot of gods left though, I've pissed off most of 'em :D

Well, if any new developments come along that you don't know about, I'll just stick them in (obviously I'd test them first). :blink:

It's a shame you've had lots of problems with this board - my experience has been great so far (apart from the AHCI thing :P)... Let me know what you decide to get, and if you're going to run OSx86 on it, be sure to stick around here! :D

Well tonight when I get back I'm gonna test my drive/adapter on a couple other systems now that I have the chance.

I think part of my trouble is the drives I have just don't like the adapter.

Hmmm, so why is it that you are returning the board?

Hmmm, so why is it that you are returning the board?

I was running out of idea's, and I had to convince myself to buy this board in the first place. As mentioned before I didn't want a gigabyte board. With the price, I was able to convince myself with the capabilites it had in overclocking.

ConroeMac: I don't believe this is a bad board. My last one had the same issue, if it is a bad board, then I definately will NEVER buy a gigabyte board again, as this will be #2.

Why can't Tyan motherboards be a little cheaper and a little more desktop oriented?

Update: I don't know WTF I'm going to do. The Adapter refuses to work in multiple systems with 3 different DVD burners of varying age and quality. It seems like the older the drive I get the better it works. Only 1 drive is capable reading from the DVD drives attached to it, anything else won't do that much.

All of my DVD burners work fine, I've tested them thru USB->IDE adapters, and On the IDE channel on my Old gigabyte GA-7ngxp board and it works. I'm testing my burners right now on the IDE channel on the 965p-ds3 and worked fine.

Anyone who has the powers of deduction (and mine are MIND BOGGLING!) will note that the only thing constant is the adapter...

The shop I purchased this from claimed they had no trouble with the adapter... so WTF?

edit 3: I won't be getting rid of the board. I've had no trouble with the board other than with compatibility with non-MS OS's and this adapter.

Anyone mind listing what drives they are using successfully with their adapters, and as much info about their adapters as possible (brand name, model numbers, serial numbers anything at all)? Right now I'm stuck with running 2 drives in my system just so I can burn discs in windows and use linux (but I can't burn in linux, which I want to be able to do).

Lastly, once I solve this god damned problem I'm gonna dump a bunch of my posts about this and put them in one, as this problem of mine seems to be dumping a boat load of junk posts in this thread.