Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

Are you saying it the install DVD should offer me "JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg" during the custom install??

Yes. If your doesn't, then you either have the corrupt disc or some other version (if one even exists). You need to grab the one from demonoid or I think it's on OINK as well. If you don't have a demonoid or oink account hit up the requests section of this forum.

If the only options you get are the ones you mentioned, then you definatley have the wrong one.

Dustin

With the reseed JAS DVD, I used an IDE to SATA adapter on my CD Rom, had Native set to disabled, set the IDE RAID AHCI selection to AHCI, had the purple ports set to AHCI, plugged both drives in to the orange ports and did not select any other options other than semthex. Its takes quite a while for the CD to boot, but it will boot and it will install. After I got a successful install, I then went back and installed the VIA drivers to get support for the purple ports, edited the kexts as outlined in the DS3 thread. Shutdown. Moved the HDD to the purple port and put the IDE cable back on the DVD drive, set the purple ports back to enabled in the BIOS and it booted like a charm.

Many thanks, that could explain a lot. One surprise was that torrentz.com only seemed to find the older non-reseed problematic .iso for me. Did I need an account at Demonoid? I found "MAC OS X 10.4.8 Intel Only Jas re-seed (SSE3 Only - NO AMD)" torrent there and am happily downloading on Azureus right now. OK now Demonoid says "User registration. Registrations are closed (open every friday, GMT) If you have an invitation code, click here". Still it seems it let me download the .torrent without registering.

FWIW you cannot spell it out too carefully for us newbies. There are things everyone takes for granted as old hat but they are unknown to us. And there are things everyone seems to know are no longer important but still linger in all the threads and confuse us. FWIW I would suggest starting a brand new "state-of-the-art 10.4.8 on DS3" Genius guide, just start afresh. And as newbies some of us have some hardware choices to make so just tell us, "other ways work but the simplest is: get a DS3, use an external USB DVD drive, use a new unbridged pure SATA drive like such-and-such" etc.

You can bounce me to the Genius Bar guide if you like, but, what packages should I specify, JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg and anything else? And if I can reboot after this re-format and re-install, I should put on the pion DS3/DS4 pack? Will report back. I can always try this other HD (IBM deskstar, has a Marvell chip on the back so it may have the non-ideal PATA-SATA bridge) and swap all the drives and cards and move to the DS3. Another thing to note is, while there are some lame links above, one does have the pion pack, called gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg and available at http://rapidshare.com/files/3117240/gigaby...3-4pack.1.2.dmg Wonder if there is anything else I need. Stay tuned.

With the reseed JAS DVD, I used an IDE to SATA adapter on my CD Rom, had Native set to disabled, set the IDE RAID AHCI selection to AHCI, had the purple ports set to AHCI, plugged both drives in to the orange ports and did not select any other options other than semthex. Its takes quite a while for the CD to boot, but it will boot and it will install. After I got a successful install, I then went back and installed the VIA drivers to get support for the purple ports, edited the kexts as outlined in the DS3 thread. Shutdown. Moved the HDD to the purple port and put the IDE cable back on the DVD drive, set the purple ports back to enabled in the BIOS and it booted like a charm.

It is heartening to see that you succeeded on a DQ6; I may well not need to swap my DS4 for a DS3. I am trying another approach: I had an old PATA-USB2 external case which I took half apart and jacked in to my internal PATA DVD. So I set the BIOS to boot first off USB-CDROM. I am also hoping to just use the pion DS3/DS4 .dmg file rather than edit files. So far I am pure purple ports (for the lone, dedicated, but old, SATA drive).

FWIW there are supposed to be some SATA DVD writers coming out this quarter "Samsung SH-W163 (in Europe now, Asia and USA sucking hind tit, maybe I can trade them a PS3...), Sony AW-Q160S, Asus DRW-1814BLT, (DVD-E616A3T read only?) Lite-On SH-16A7L?, Benq, HP AH048AT (mystery drive with no specs ATM) and of course there is an old Plextor or two.

to all,

does anyone have all 4 ich8 sata ports working with the jas ich8 sata fix? it seems that only the top two ports work. i've noticed that the device id for the top ports is 2820, while it's 2825 for the bottom ones. also in the ioreg, it appears that the IOATAfamily.kext registers and activates the 2825 ports and sets up channels 1 & 2, but stops there. any thoughts?

Thanks again all for your help. I got the reseed edition, it offers many more custom packages, and I installed these:

JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update

INTEL.SSE3.semthex

INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support

10.4.8.Azalia.Audio.Support

It still hung at the end of the install. It does seem to boot now though, after I moved the HD to the top orange port.

I had a problem with "There is no keyboard connected to your computer. Please connect your keyboard." The mouse also froze. Then I noticed... "General note to everyone when installing... Don't install the 10.4.8 usb fix it doesn't work" its like what part of "Don't install the 10.4.8 usb fix it doesn't work" didn't I understand... doh!

Some more ideas for the Genius guide. 1. on Gigabyte motherboards, you have to hit ctl-F1 to access the advanced BIOS settings (e.g. memory timings)... not all new users know this 2. Might want to suggest that people kill the fonts, printers, languages packages to speed the install. 3. Details for DS4/ DQ6 users may be useful to a few. 4. mention #jas-dvd and #osx86 and #macvidia 5. mention download titan.kext from http://omni.starchaser.org/titan/ and sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* && sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

Anyway, it up and running now! Thanks everyone! Got the network fix from gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg. I copied it over on a CD and just kept clicking and upacking until it showed me 7 patches. Wonder if I need any other of the package there.

to all,

does anyone have all 4 ich8 sata ports working with the jas ich8 sata fix? it seems that only the top two ports work. any thoughts?

I noticed the problem as well, I haven't put much thought into it. Partially because I only have 2 drives in my system. I thought someone mentioned adding one of the device ID's (2820 If I recall correctly) to the IOATA kext to get the ports working properly. Perhaps thats what he ment, as I never needed to add it.

Some more ideas for the Genius guide. 1. on Gigabyte motherboards, you have to hit ctl-F1 to access the advanced BIOS settings (e.g. memory timings)... not all new users know this 2. Might want to suggest that people kill the fonts, printers, languages packages to speed the install. 3. Details for DS4/ DQ6 users may be useful to a few. 4. mention #jas-dvd and #osx86 and #macvidia 5. mention download titan.kext from http://omni.starchaser.org/titan/ and sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* && sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

Anyway, it up and running now! Thanks everyone! Now, if only the network would configure...

The guide doesn't mention the CTRL+F1 thing because it plays no part in making osx run properly, only in the possibility of burning up your processor or ram. Plus if you know what your doing in that part of the bios, you already know about it, and probably don't really need my guide either :D

I'll consider adding the comment on the fonts. I automatically do it so I didn't think about it.

What specific options on the DS4/dq6 should I add? I haven't noticed anyone posting anything specific to those boards. If you got the info post it up and It'll get added.

Lastly, My guide is merely a supliment to the other guides, and it's only ment to give you the required options for the board itself, so installing Titan/natit isn't needed for the guide. Plus I have no way of testing it myself as my video card isn't supported.

It still hung at the end of the install. It does seem to boot now though, after I moved the HD to the top orange port.

I wonder if I installed too many or too few custom packages. I wonder whether I still need gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg; how to mount it; what parts if any I still need.

The installer will stall on reboot. It's a fact of life, the kernel wasn't fixed for reboot until after the release was made.

Yes you'll want the Ds3-4 pack. To mount it just double click on it, then open the white drive that shows up on the desktop and double click on the pckg and install everything in there.

Nice thing about OSX is apple actually figured out how to make unix a usable operating system. Sometimes it's so easy I over think it, as I expect things to be as irritating as linux at times. I really wish the open source community would spend some time with OSX rather than just ignore it because it's not open source and it's designed for ease of use (I.e. not L337).

-Dustin

Nice thing about OSX is apple actually figured out how to make unix a usable operating system. Sometimes it's so easy I over think it, as I expect things to be as irritating as linux at times. I really wish the open source community would spend some time with OSX rather than just ignore it because it's not open source and it's designed for ease of use (I.e. not L337).

My theory is that Ubuntu is to debian what OSX is to freeBSD. A naked rip off of their IP... no... just kidding... I got a new server to run some websites and have been long thinking about what OS to run on it. I like the stability of debian and freeBSD. But lets be honest, in terms of mindshare, debian and freeBSD are going nowhere. Their developers simply do not have the mindset to make them easier to use. They have had all the time in the world to do so but they did not. Proably they even espouse justifications for this. And sadly, it is also part L337 attitude. NTL its adapt or die. That is why OSX and Ubuntu came along and ate their respective lunches and in a blitzkreig established an order of magnitude more users. Yes, some of these users are AOL refugees, but in terms of mindshare, which to me means longevity and more software and better software, and yes, the money to support that for better or worse, I had to choose as I did. As for windows well, what can I say to this audience, its so clear to me that they just don't care about their users or their programmers, and the results speak for themselves, and in spades with Vista. I'm using OSx86 to transition my existing machines to the mac world, and eventually will buy a real mac (despite how Jobs personally f***ed over 2 close friends and everyone at Pixar) now that they are using a real CPU rather than lying about how powerful the PPC is, and now that Mac is more reasonably priced.

...with Vista. I'm using OSx86 to transition my existing machines to the mac world, and eventually will buy a real mac (despite how Jobs personally f***ed over 2 close friends and everyone at Pixar) now that they are using a real CPU rather than lying about how powerful the PPC is, and now that Mac is more reasonably priced.

I'm playing with OSX86 just to see if I can get a fully working system. It'll {censored} one of my brothers off to find I have a cheaper more powerful mac than he does :blowup:

But I'm also wanting to get away from Windows. I like XP, but I refuse to use Vista, not even if it were free. To bad the Linux alternatives just suck IMO, why they have to focus on things like XGL/compiz when they have other things like a decent installer (yes I know they have apt/yum, but osx installer is still far better) that doesn't have {censored}loads of dependancies. And a UI that actually makes sense. KDE is just a cluster fu**, and Gnome makes me feel like I'm going back 10 years in UI design.

-Dustin

The Natit development has me seriously thinking of a video card upgrade. Luckily, it will cost me near nothing to do it :)

From my understanding, the diskarb error is only on the ICH8 ports, using the Jmicron doesn't have the error.

I'm still trying to figure out for sure if there is a way to boot osx off of the IDE ports, given that with the tweaks to the viaata files give us IDE access. If only I could find someone to clearify the whole thing with "still waiting for root device" and extensions

Question:

I´ve installed 10.4.8 using the tutorial posted here. After installation, I changed the Bios settings to IDE, instead of AHCI (my Windows Vista doesn´t work with AHCI, don´t know why).

But, in IDE settings, I got the "still waiting root device" message! The OSX only functions on AHCI.

I´ve tried this method:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry220843

Someone can help me?

Thx again.

Question:

I´ve installed 10.4.8 using the tutorial posted here. After installation, I changed the Bios settings to IDE, instead of AHCI (my Windows Vista doesn´t work with AHCI, don´t know why).

But, in IDE settings, I got the "still waiting root device" message! The OSX only functions on AHCI.

I´ve tried this method:

Someone can help me?

Thx again.

Which ports do you have your HDD plugged into, the orange or the purple? The method you followed is used to enable the purple JMicron ports and the regular IDE port for the DVD drive I believe.

Question:

I´ve tried this method:

Someone can help me?

Thx again.

I've had weird issue's with bios settings and 10.4.8. With "SATA native mode" disabled, OSX gets a waiting for root device with the ICH8 drivers installed. I personally haven't noticed any issue's with the IDE/AHCI settings on the jmicron.

You might try removing the changes to "appleachi" kext, and in the AppleVIAATA.kext instead of changing "VIA SATA Controller" try the section above it "VIA GENERIC ATA" I think it's called.

The other thing is, to remove the edits all together. The sata ports work regardless of editing those files mentioned above. Thats only for IDE support.

I've had weird issue's with bios settings and 10.4.8. With "SATA native mode" disabled, OSX gets a waiting for root device with the ICH8 drivers installed. I personally haven't noticed any issue's with the IDE/AHCI settings on the jmicron.

You might try removing the changes to "appleachi" kext, and in the AppleVIAATA.kext instead of changing "VIA SATA Controller" try the section above it "VIA GENERIC ATA" I think it's called.

The other thing is, to remove the edits all together. The sata ports work regardless of editing those files mentioned above. Thats only for IDE support.

On the purple jmicron ports, they will only work in AHCI mode without the edits.

The Natit development has me seriously thinking of a video card upgrade. Luckily, it will cost me near nothing to do it :)

From my understanding, the diskarb error is only on the ICH8 ports, using the Jmicron doesn't have the error.

i still get diskarb with the Jmicron, I don't know what i did wrong.

The Natit was a nice unexpected surprise. Worked right away with my X1900gt.

hi, im trying to install hta jas 10.4.7 here, using a E6300, GA-965P-S3, WD2500KS, and NEC 4551A IDE with a SATA conversor

i had a problem that i think is not a mobo compability problem.. pehaps hdd, but not sure, or a simple mistake

the cenario..

i have

1 2gb primary fat16 partition for winxp swapfile..

1 100gb primary ntfs for winxp

about 25gb of free unallocated space

1 extented partiton that owns 2 logical ntfs partition inside

in that order..

in installation, after confirming the contract, i have to select a volume to install mac os x.. but there is no one in list

using the disk utilitie, there is no "format" option, but a "partition" option..

after selecting "free space", and the partition format (something like Mac Os Journaled), i tried the partition button, but i got a message,

"all other 2 volumes data will be erased... .."

then i hit cancel

with some tips i've found, i used partition magic on windows, and created a unformated (unallocated) partition on the unused space..

on installation, still no volume listed after contract.. (on disk utilitie, the volume is visible, but on details show it as a FAT32 partition)

another tip found.. use windows diskpart and create the new primary partition with the "id=af" option

on installation, still no volume listed after contract.. (on disk utilitie, the volume is visible again, and on details is a "Mac OS ..... (Journaled)" now

what can i do without loosing my windows partitions? another partition tool? a linux live cd with another one tool?

going mad with this

I got some news on ide

I built a LiveDVD (instructions in the Live OSX dvd section and got it to fully boot a working osx disc FROM THE IDE CHAIN!

So if I can find someone to help me out, I may be able to mod an OSX 10.4.8 install to run from the IDE dvd drives. mwuahahahahah

Sounds like your having the problem my brother had, over thinking it.

In osx, use the "erase" option, that formats it. There is a way in windows to make an unformated (or in OSX case "erased") partition, that when you get to diskutil in the installer, just click on it, and hit "erase" and it'll go.

I think you should also just be able to reformat the fat32 or ntfs partition as well.

This is where you format in osx

http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2is8.gif

click on the left the partition you want to format, click the erase tab and then "erase" and your set.

i cant remember if it shows the erase button, but i know that my 3 volumes listed in disk utilitie, 1 fat16, 1ntfs ans 1 mac extended jounaled (only showed when i formated in diskpart with "af" id option) are not mounted, and i cant mount any of then.. this option is only for mounted volumes?

i'll look for it in home later.. thanks

i still get diskarb with the Jmicron, I don't know what i did wrong.

The Natit was a nice unexpected surprise. Worked right away with my X1900gt.

If you can do without your ICH8 ports functioning (properly) you can try this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=diskarb

More news on the IDE installer front

I managed to get a copy of the Jas 10.4.8 installer to recognize and format to an IDE hd. I'm still working on actually booting an installer from an HD, followed by some way of making it boot from a dvd, and lastly, actually making it all work completely.

thedguy, tried the erase.. looks like formating.. but still no volumes listed in "Volume Select" after contract screen..

trying to find more info about this... but no much hope

Try going into diskutility as soon as the menu bar at the top comes up.

Not sure if your waiting till the volume select screen comes up first or not, but it may help.

Try going into diskutility as soon as the menu bar at the top comes up.

Not sure if your waiting till the volume select screen comes up first or not, but it may help.

i wait till installation showme a welcome screen, (introduction)

going on, a software licence agreement with "Enjoy!" and i confirm and hit agree, (license)

then i got the "Select Destination" screen, and the phrase "Select a destinatin volume to install the JaS OS 10.4.7 software"

There are no volume to select, and the "Continue" button is disabled

on menubar, using the Disk utility, i see my 3 (of 4 in real) volumes, but they are not mounted.. and i got an error when i try to mountmanually

(A mounted Volume is necessary to continue installation?)

Other information can be important.. i started the instalation with -v parameter..

and before the GUI is showed, i saw some error messages

some network error

some mounting error

and airstuff error

the mounting errors are:

localhost diskarbitrationd[33]: unable to mount /dev/disck0s1 (status code 0x00000047).

localhost diskarbitrationd[33]: unable to mount /dev/disck0s2 (status code 0x00000047).

localhost diskarbitrationd[33]: unable to mount /dev/disck0s3 (status code 0x00000047).

(the last one is the partition i've created to install mac os x86, i already tried unformated, fat32 and "af", and tried the "Erase" tip to format then too on Installation DiskUtility

Another question.. i must 'activate' the patition created to mac os x86?

Im Lost!