Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

i've tried to install 10.4.8 Jas SSE3 release, it works, boots fine, however my on board LAN doesn't work, it detects, but it just doesnt seem to be able to communicate properly.

DHCP can't get me an ip address

specifying ip manually results in me unable to ping any live nodes that would otherwise be avaliable

Really? I can't even get it to boot...

the jas 10.4.8 patch messed up my install as well. It tries to boot, then I just get a black screen with a visible mouse cursor.

I haven't tried the full DVD but makes me wonder if I should even bother with it ATM.

Booting was screwed up for me too, but I was able to fix it. Search the forum for startupfiletoo1 (change the 1 to l, I don't want to spam up the results of the search with this thread). It worked for me and I'd never tried OSX86 before this weekend.

All that's left for me is getting the network up and replacing iCal (no old DVD to grab an old version from)

EDIT: Network working, using IONetworkingFamily.kext from here. Still looking for iCal.

EDIT2: iCal fixed now. see this thread.

Ok guys, i need your help here, but first let me give you some details on how the install went.

I got the latest iso burnt, and after a lot of trouble i managed to install it through usb-to-ide converted dvd-rom and with a samsung sata hd i borrowed from my brother, connected to the purple ports and ahci enabled. The disk was recognised , i created a new journaled etc partition installed went smoothly and pretty quick.

Loading is very fast and after some kext loading etc i managed to have everything working except for lan that i know how to fix now.

Now here is the problem:

How do i dual boot between the two sata controllers?

Or if not possible let me tell you the setup i want and maybe you can point me to the right direction:

WD2500KS SATA connected to ich8

120gb IDE WD connected to ide master

DVD-R IDE connected to ide slave

samsung 160GB connected to the first purple port

I guess i could connect my WD2500KS to the purple ports two, if that is a problem.

hey guys,

Ive tried 2 different DVD drives and I cant get either to work.. umm was wondering if anyone could give me their exact model OR link me to exactly where they bought it (like newegg)

thanks guys.

-jamie

hey guys,

Ive tried 2 different DVD drives and I cant get either to work.. umm was wondering if anyone could give me their exact model OR link me to exactly where they bought it (like newegg)

thanks guys.

-jamie

You have to use IDE to USB or IDE to SATA converter.

Ive got the IDE to SATA converter.. the red one pictured earlier in the thread.

my problem is my main DVD drive doesnt get recognized at all as a sata drive, and my backup (which was pulled from g4 powermac) only works as a cd rom as a sata for some reason... no dvds will read in it.

so rather than waste any money buying a dvd Drive that wont work, who evers got it working under the ide-sata converter, could you just post what drive you have?

thanks

I'm using an external dvd drive to install mac. I can get to the install screen, then when I go to format the drive through disk utility, I don't see the hard drive listed at all. It is a seagate barracuda 400gb sata. I created an unformatted partition at the end, but still no luck. any ideas?

One more success story!

I installed to USB IDE disk from My Dellintosh, edited plist according to Julians instructions.

connected the disk to my IDE on my DS3, fired up windows and set up CHAIN0 dual boot method,

And now, posting this from Safari on my brand new C2D Hackintosh!!

(i used 10.4.6 btw.. seems to be a few ppl having trouble with 10.4.8 still..)

and now for the fiddleing :)

Ive got the IDE to SATA converter.. the red one pictured earlier in the thread.

my problem is my main DVD drive doesnt get recognized at all as a sata drive, and my backup (which was pulled from g4 powermac) only works as a cd rom as a sata for some reason... no dvds will read in it.

so rather than waste any money buying a dvd Drive that wont work, who evers got it working under the ide-sata converter, could you just post what drive you have?

thanks

Your gonna hate me for saying this but...

It's seriously just luck of the draw. I've got 1 drive that should work with the adapter according to others on new egg but doesn't. Meanwhile the drive that does work for me, others have complained it doesn't.

Your best bet is to hit up a local shop that has some, and is understanding on returns.

Here is the one I have NEC ND_3550A.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152058

Odly enough, several people on new egg reported that with the same adapter I have it doesn't work. But works great for me.

It might be worthwhile to just grab a USB adapter for installing, it's SOOOO much easier. I just hate having to open up my case just to install an OS so I made my life a living hell.

Ok I thought I might post this here for those who don't look at my thread in the Genius bar.

It's a simple script for putting in the IDE, Restart, and Audio fixes for the DS3.

I removed the part to patch jas 10.4.7 since I'm sure many of you will be upgrading once you get a working version. I plan to.

anyway here's the code and instructions

Open a terminal, and type "nano aride-fix" and paste the above code into it.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x31491106/0x2363197B 0x31491106/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x01060100/0x2363197B/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x10ec0880/0x10ec0883/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo perl -pi -e 's/0x26688086/0x284b8086/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
printf '\260\376\346\144' | sudo dd if=/dev/stdin of=/mach_kernel bs=1 count=4 oseek=578235 conv=notrunc
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

Press "ctrl+o" and then yes.

type "chmod a+rwx aride-fix" and then type "./aride-fix"

My xbench score is 190 if I skip the disk test. If I include the disk test, it drops to 80 overall, with the disk test being something like 18. I suppose that's not normal, so I tried to apply Julian's fix.

I installed from JAS' 10.4.8 DVD, and there is no /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext at all, so I can't really apply any changes to it. Does anyone with a working 10.4.8 have any instructions for it, or are those speeds to be expeced from a drive? 18 MB/sec doesn't seem all that bad, copying large files from one drive to another in other OSs goes at about that speed. Am I really missing out on 80 MB/sec speeds? (a mac user with a higher disk xbench than me had those speeds).

The HD is a WD 250 GB. It didn't seem to have the problems that were mentioned earlier regarding WD drives. I just plugged it into the purple ports without messing with the BIOS. The speeds though :-/

i found out that connecting my seagate sata to the second purple port gives me better xbench results than pluging it to the first one.

1rst port resulsts: 44.74

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type ST3320620AS

Disk Test 44.74

Sequential 79.52

Uncached Write 65.27 40.07 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 75.42 42.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 83.97 24.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 101.94 51.23 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 31.13

Uncached Write 10.53 1.11 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 72.33 23.16 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 86.60 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 123.02 22.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]

2nd port results: 55.85

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type ST3320620AS

Disk Test 55.85

Sequential 104.95

Uncached Write 83.19 51.08 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 137.15 77.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 82.19 24.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 150.75 75.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 38.05

Uncached Write 13.17 1.39 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.99 30.41 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 87.06 0.62 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 139.63 25.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I am also going back to 10.4.7 since it was faster than 10.4.8

Was wondering just that myself.

Also, is the restart fix supposed to work on mifki kernel? It doesn't seem to work.

Upto this point, 10.4.8 hasn't been tested by anyone on with this board. Atleast with any success.

I'm getting the latest one right now.

Pion: there's a ich8 kext? oh this could be good!

I can't seem to get my lan working. During install I entered in the dns and dhcp info - when I get to the desktop, and try to get online it says I'm not connected. I go into network setup and it says my ethernet cable is not connected. It works fine in windows though. Any ideas?

(I'm using the ga-965p-s3 board, not the ds3...if that really makes that much of a difference)

I can't seem to get my lan working. During install I entered in the dns and dhcp info - when I get to the desktop, and try to get online it says I'm not connected. I go into network setup and it says my ethernet cable is not connected. It works fine in windows though. Any ideas?

(I'm using the ga-965p-s3 board, not the ds3...if that really makes that much of a difference)

Yeah, get the KEXT IONetworkingfamily.kext from 10.4.7 and replace 10.4.8's. Presto working networking on the gigabyte.

Upto this point, 10.4.8 hasn't been tested by anyone on with this board. Atleast with any success.

I'm getting the latest one right now.

Pion: there's a ich8 kext? oh this could be good!

i've tried. ich8 kext doesnt work on my DS4's ich8R ><.

maybe ds4 doesnt work so there might be a chance DS3's ich8 works.

I've tried reinstalling. I am using jas' 10.4.7 w/ server. It says ethernet cable not attached. I've tried another cable, no luck.

Did you guys put in any information in the internet settings when you were setting up the system (date/time/internet etc...)? I put in some info, but that wouldn't explain why it says there isn't a cord attached, right?

It works fine in windows, and everyone says it works out of the box, so I must be doing something wrong, haha, that's what I get for being a noob, haha.