What have you learned?

Swad

87 posts in this topic

Net info manager no longer in utilities folder or in leopard in general?... or maybe not on my version of leopard i dl. I run it from my tiger partition though and it worked fine.

using spaces if u drag in example one window of ichat on space and another window on another space returning to finder and clicking ichat it cycles between the 2 of them.

And - as I upgraded my Tiger installation I have no way of checking whether this was in Tiger too, but if you press Apple + Alt whilst in Expose, it shows all the titles for all the windows. Wish I could make that default.

Not a big deal but Photobooth uses a different color profile in the newer one. That means you cant make your old pictures work with the new photobooth ;)

Hey Virtuallball (he codes things at iPodLinux (I assume it's the same one) , and I made the iPod Application Manager at iPodLinux)

Anyway, in Leopard, Adium doesn't launch unless it's the Beta 1.0 version, and Transmission doesn't launch either... Some other similar errors in other apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time Machine had to be turned off due to it taking lots of space. It isnt as good as i thought it would be either.

It needs to take backups, and that slows down your mac a tiny bit i find. And the fact it puts Volumes.backupdb or whatever folder on all Volumes, even the ones you opt-out of is so annoying. (in that folder the backups are kept)

I like the new help menu, and the fact you can search commands in applications. I uninstalled Leopard to reinstall Windows. But i haven't done that yet. Didnt want to resit a wait of hours.

Also, a very nice improvement is that Leopard takes about 3 minutes to install. Literally. I'm not sure if this is just a developer preview thing or what, but it's nice.

Another new thing is when you are installing something, at the end it makes a little 'ding ding ding' sound like iTunes does when your converting songs for example.

I actually got this off Rapidshare, no torrenting involved :blink:

-tj

Also, a very nice improvement is that Leopard takes about 3 minutes to install. Literally.

Umm...

No?

It needs to take backups, and that slows down your mac a tiny bit i find.

Yes, HDD usage slows down the machine sensibly

And the fact it puts Volumes.backupdb or whatever folder on all Volumes, even the ones you opt-out of is so annoying.

That's odd, mine doesn't - it creates a ComputerName.backupdb in the Backup Drive only.

Also, a very nice improvement is that Leopard takes about 3 minutes to install. Literally. I'm not sure if this is just a developer preview thing or what, but it's nice.

Mine took much longer - 10-15 minutes at least.

Another new thing is when you are installing something, at the end it makes a little 'ding ding ding' sound like iTunes does when your converting songs for example.

Yeah, that's nice - but you can be sure lots people will find it annoying...

I actually got this off Rapidshare, no torrenting involved ;)

-tj

Lucky you, but now RS won't let you download for the next 567hours I think :P

And - as I upgraded my Tiger installation I have no way of checking whether this was in Tiger too, but if you press Apple + Alt whilst in Expose, it shows all the titles for all the windows. Wish I could make that default.

just Alt does it

Disk Utility offre maintenant tout un tas d'options pour la création d'un image de disque sans avoir a passer par la ligne de commande ^_^

Sorry if my french is too rusty but for those who don't speak it,

"Disk Utility now has options to create disc images without having to use command lines"

that must be a new feature cause i can't get it to work in tiger. nice find :D

that whole 'sleep mode' thing macrumors claimed to have 'found'.. its been part of the mac experience since the last generation of PowerBooks, and OS 10.4.3, and is called Safe Sleep. ALL intel macs can do it already.

by default it only happens during normal sleep if the reserve power runs out, or you can use this widget to force it to happen at any time

macrumors is just lame. :) i'm still waiting for the 'macbook thin' and the 'imac gamers edition' which they claimed were just around the corner...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw this, but there is a server widget in dashboard. I dont have a server, so i dont actually know ow it looks. It is the black widget on the right. I also want to say that apple's weather widget is very bad. It is way colder(37º). It has been cold in the bay area lately.

Picture_1.png

Picture_2.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
It looks like localization works completely now.

Specifically, now in the International section of System Preferences, I can set EVERYTHING to Arabic!

Now, that is impressive that we have an OS that actually works with Right-to-Left input and work immediately across the board.

Either way, it is much better than Microsoft's Arabic implementation, in which you only have a few menu options translated, even in Vista.

While folders are still named the same thing, it looks like they will work with Arabic characters for filenames and paths, including changing /Users to /‏المستخدم

The only problem that I have run into is that the Text-to-Speech system 100% does not work with Non-latin languages.

(Think crash)

Apple is set to take a major chunk of the non-english speakers or multilanguage users with this enhancement!

مبروك, ‏تهنئة 

Sadly, this is NOT the case with Hebrew. Although Arabic and Hebrew are both right-to-left langauges, Hebrew is NOT supported (non of the menus is translated), and things start to get messed up once Hebrew is the leading language. For example: spotlight can't find anything! I type "d" and get ONE result!

This is really a shame. It's so easy to implement once Arabic is there.

Setting up a fax machine to be your bluetooth-enabled cell phone is VERY easy now. It used to be incredibly hard on Tiger, having to hunt down the driver somewhere in the file system - and for me, it still didn't work at all.

Now in leopard, it's just there in the Fax dialog settings. And I can actually see my cellphone trying to dial, although I couldn't send a fax but I think that's because the network doesn't support it.

Edited by odedia