What have you learned?

Swad

87 posts in this topic

If you learn anything cool about upcoming features in Leopard, tell us about them here. We're talking about bona-fide NTFS support, hidden features, etc. Anything and everything cool.

We're always looking for new info and you can help us find it!

not a new features or anything but things some people might like to know about leopard so far, on intel based macs two finger clicking no longer works, bummer i love that feature why apple why!!! also ejecting a disk image via the eject button on finder does not work also option clicking to eject does not work you must drag the image/removable volume to the trash. also adium may not launch solved by using the latest 1.0 beta, shapeshifter installs but does not work, dont try it; itll bork your install. candybar works somewhat, after initial launch and changing the default system icons, candybar will not stay open, it will ask to update won't find any and you have to quit the app. Spaces you can bind apps to desktops however if you close an app window or minimize it and click the app icon in dock it will bring the window to the current desktop being worked on and no the binded one.

Spaces and Expose work hand in hand, i.e. if you have launched spaces and launch expose while in spaces all apps show!! just as they would with a single desktop. very nice = ) if you have more then one finder window open on multiple desktops in spaces keep hitting finder in the dock and it cycles through the windows.

I've learned a couple of things:

--Leopard now has a battery health meter. When you click on your powerlevel, it shows what your battery is at. Mine just shows poor ;)

--Safari has a new 'find text on page' feature, which is ridiculously cool! There is a vid of it working floating around. And of course, the help menus too.

--Safari's bookmarklets are more limited than before - don't know if it is a size limit, or functionality limit (haven't investigated yet). For example, bookmarklets generated from http://labs.zarate.org/passwd/ need the "smaller" IE/Opera version, and NOT the "Safari" version. On Tiger, the Safari version still works.

--Time Machine needs an alternate drive/partition, besides the boot drive.

--There is a new trackpad driver, which renders some software like SideTrack and iScroll useless. Bummer for my pre-2005 powerbook :(

I have learned, that my images I posted earlier have been removed. Can I post my new images / video here? I hope it's no Legal hassle... I just don't want my hard work deleted again, so I am just asking now :sorcerer:.

Well, do it quick so I can see, just incase what you post does get deleted. :-)

Noticed in the Desktop Background setting u can select a photoalbum from iPhoto and set it to change the background every x mins and also randomize the order. duno if this was there before but i just noticed it and its pretty sweet built in.

a very useful thing is the fact that spotlight now finds apps... dont need to go lookin to the applications folder any more. cmd-space and start typin the name and it comes up.

also aMsn works fine for me.

biggest anoyance is no 2 finger tap for right click on th macbook. have to ctrl-click all the time.....

ahh touche..... guess i never tried it before...

couple more anoyances.. sometimes Bluetooth is turned on but i cannot turn it off (greyed out). it also dosent remeber the state it was in on shutdown because its always turned on when i boot. but thats not really of n e consequence in this early of a preview.

Couple of things I noted over on the MacRumors forums:

If your battery is pretty much dead, like mine is, you get a exclamation mark next to the battery icon:

post-50972-1155680850.png

post-50972-1155680842_thumb.png

Also, I don't know if this was in Tiger, but I never saw it. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere either, though I haven't looked too hard. You can no have a guest account that doesn't require a login, but gets wiped after they logout.

post-50972-1155680859_thumb.png

Couple of things I noted over on the MacRumors forums:

If your battery is pretty much dead, like mine is, you get a exclamation mark next to the battery icon:

post-50972-1155680850.png

post-50972-1155680842_thumb.png

Also, I don't know if this was in Tiger, but I never saw it. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere either, though I haven't looked too hard. You can no have a guest account that doesn't require a login, but gets wiped after they logout.

post-50972-1155680859_thumb.png

Eehh.... I don't like that at all.

Don't like which or what? The guest account is a great idea, so long as it isn't too restrictive, or too lenient in what it lets them access. The exclamation mark gets a tad annoying, since there's no way I'm paying £80 for a new battery this close to a total system upgrade.

I've not used leopard yet but I have noticed from all the screenshots that brushed metal is dead.....except from finder?

This, by process of elimination means that the new finder has yet to be updated and thus must have something quite cool that Microsoft does not.

Folders that you place in the dock are finally spring loaded. Like OS9, when you would put open folders down at the bottom of your screen. There is even a setting for the spring action.

Can you explain/screenshot what you mean by spring loaded i don't get it?