Is your hackintosh your primary machine?

OryHara

Is your hackintosh your primary machine?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. YesIs your hackintosh your primary machine?

• Yes
    • No

71 posts in this topic

It almost is now. Now that i got 10.4.8 with the semthex kernel and qe and ci i use it about 95% of the time. I only go on windows when i need print something (wirelessly) or i have to access my server (wirelessly). Also, to play games. But i rarely do that anymore anyway, so im mostly on mac. :)

my windows box is turned off virtually all the time and it sits inches from my blackbox mac. The only time I turn it on is if I need a program not available or without a similar counterpart on mac. I'd say I use my hackintosh 95% of the time at home and look forward to buying a macbook pro in the future (waiting out the LED and leopard releases because I'm not in a rush).

Yesterday I got the sound working on OS X, so I don't have to boot into Windows anymore, except when watching movies :hysterical:

what movies can you not watch on your 'mac'??

Of corse it is!!!

After all I'm tired of linux. I've already made thousands of distributions by myself. 'n I think move on is the best choice of learning a new system.

Though I do not pretend to use non legal Mac OS X for ever I'm just gonna buy a Mac some near day.

My Mac will of course be a PowerPC ( Risc instruction set architecture rocks )

I have it on my main machine. Everything works smooth, exepct the graphics (still havent figured how to enable QE/CI) but resolution swithcing and Hz does work:

Intel Celeron D 351+ (3.2 GHz)

TwinMOS 1024 MB DDR RAM PC3200 (2 x 512)

Asus ProActive P5GPL

Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE HD

Pioneer DVD-ROM

Sapphire Radeon x1300 512MB PCIe;

still havent got QE/CI enabled, if you know how to solve this, please contact me, I would appreciate it very much :tomato:

:tomato:

No.

There are just a lot of things MacOSX cannot replace in the windows world. As much as I would like to use the Mac, I just always keep going back to XP. I have notice this is very personal and it all depends on what the computer is used for.

I would love to get my laptop running MacOsx, but the lack of sleep/wakeup and power savings mode just isn't enough justification to move away from XP/Vista.

I'm very interested to hear what programs people find they get drawn back to windows for.. the windows apps I miss are easily counted: MSN Live Messenger, uTorrent and (I know, it's an odd choice) WinAmp.. the first I run from a terminal server, the others in crossover.. Particularly since the release of photoshop cs3 beta, I find less & less reason for using windows at all..

As an afterthought, it strikes me that whilst the macbook & macbook pro provide a good mobile solution for OS X, and osx86 more often has issues with laptops, on the desktop side, Apple provides all-in-one (mini & iMac) or high-end (Mac Pro) Solutiopns, leaving the "traditional desktop" squarely to the Hackintosh.. for the type of computing I like to do, it is the best & only way.

Dual booting PCLinuxOS 2007 and Mac OS X 10.4.7 Jas. Since i am essentially a linux geek, i use PCLinuxOS

about 90% of the time. Even though i can not seem to get Quartz Extreme enabled no matter what i try,the only thing that affects is I can not play DVD movies. Iv'e tried about 8 different players. But i can do everthing else i

want. I really like OS X and enjoy using it, more and more as time goes on. I probably will buy a ATI 1600 pro

which should get QE for me.It ain't gonna happen with this X600.

coming from gentoo linux as my primary machine, i have no windows applications to miss.

now i exclusively run os x. although linux is powerful and fast, and actually xgl is great, along with multiple desktops in gnome (spaces is coming for os x so..)...

i couldn't go though the some of the headaches that come with linux, so when you give me a *posix core, along with a slick graphical interface, and some nice application suites, such as iwork (which i really enjoy over office, or openoffice, or gnomeoffice (abiword etc)...

i just couldn't take anymore emerging, portage, compiling from source, configuring things with nano... it's more like a hobby than an operating system.

and i have found most of my favorite linux apps able to run under X11 emulation or have found ports of them to os x.