OS X Annoyances

Swad

278 posts in this topic

All Hail to the KING, Long live the KING!!

I see Option and the + lines them up nicely, and if you click on them again it rearranges them in a different layout!

and option x closes all directory windows at once, as well

you just saved me a LOT of annoyances! I'ts amazing how the simplest of things make your life so easy!?

SticMAN

Option-click the minimize button.

1. No "Up" button in finder.. only back or forward..

Right click and choose 'customize'. Add the 'path' button. This will let you navigate directly to any previous folder.

2. The dock - it's either always on top.. or normal focus.. or hidden. why can't it regain focus like rklauncher on wnXP does? In RK.. the current window has focus till the mouse hits the bottom edge of the screen, then RK grabs focus. This allows for uncluttered full screen apps.

What do you mean? If it's hidden it'll turn up again when you move the pointer to the bottom of the screen. Do you want it to be visible but out of focus? Don't really see the point. :)

3. Finder doesn't seem to remember individual folder views.. under XP if you viewed one folder as thumbnails.. all the others would stay as list.. but it would remember the one you set to as thumbnails. in Finder.. it just sets everything to what the last view mode was.

You can set a folder to always open in icon view but the general Finder settings override this. If you open the folder through Spotlight instead you get the icon view.

Minimizing windows is totally unnecessary in OS X. If you really want to get rid of an app, just hide it with cmd + H.

I for one really like the Dock. I love how you can drag files directly to apps and how the icons display stats like download progress or number of emails. If it takes up too much space just hide it.

Would be great if you could hide the menu bar as well.

When I've shown several users the way to resize the Dock with the separation bar, they're amazed.

You can change the Dock size in system preferences. It's very obvious. You can't blame the software designers for everything.

Not that everything in OS X is obvious. I find it really stupid that there isn't a menu command for checking the size of multiple files (you have to press cmd + option + I, but you can only find this info in the help file).

13. The Apple menu. It's ridiculous to have a menu that's a graphic of an apple when other menus have names. How is it intuitive at all to have "shutdown" or "recent items" under a picture of an apple? Many users don't realize it's a menu. Plus, it's underpowered. Surely there could be more functionality in it, at least as an option.

It's the menu for the Apple computer.

14. The bright red/blue American flag for the keyboard layout menu. The other icons and menu items are monochromatic and black, so why must I be annoyed by the bright red OS 9 icon? The human eye is attracted to red, which makes it stick out even more.

Flags look like {censored} and aren'y easily integrated into a stylish GUI. If you don't need it just turn it off.

15. The clown button ("stop light") window controls. "Tog", who was an Apple UI guy years ago, wrote about this broken metaphor and its problems. It's too colorful, for one thing. I don't want to see three bright colors. The grey version hides the functionality. The mouse-overs are easy to overlook, especially with the strong 3D lighting in Tiger's grey skin. I could go on, but this is one aspect of OS X's UI that has needed improvement for a long time.

I've never liked the stop light buttons, they look like gumdrops. But it isn't hard to remember what the three buttons do. I don't think the grey theme hides the functionality more than the colored one.

16. The horsey 14 point menu font. On a Cinema Display it's not so bad. On a 1024x768 monitor, it's absurd.

Using a 1024x768 monitor in 2008 is absurd. :( No seriously, I agree, like many other things this should be customizable.

Enter goes into filename changing mode while cmd + down arrow opens the file. Where's the logic in that?

OS X has it's own logic. :) But after awhile you get used to it.

1. No "Up" button in finder.. only back or forward..
cmd-down is open (or cmd-o), and cmd-up is up in the hierachy. Also if you right click the finder window title bar you get a nested folder structure. Try it! Also in Safari! :P

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everyone who is complaining, from what I see, is picking up on stuff that is different from windows and using it as a 'flaw'

Another annoyance is the fact that: the dock is forced on you, and there is no programs menu.

Firstly, on windows, is the start menu not 'forced' upon you? lol

And also, if you so desire, click and drag the applications folder to the dock, then you will be able to use it as a menu. Hell, you could even stop magnification, drag all other icons out of the dock and align it on the left hand side... Then your application 'menu' can be exactly where the start button is on windows.

If you love the windows way so much, and can't cope with trying something new and adjusting, just go and use windows, and stop bitching just because something is different for you =]

Applesam161, well said (Y)

The Apple menu. It's ridiculous to have a menu that's a graphic of an apple when other menus have names. How is it intuitive at all to have "shutdown" or "recent items" under a picture of an apple? Many users don't realize it's a menu. Plus, it's underpowered. Surely there could be more functionality in it, at least as an option

I've never heard of anyone who didn't realise it was a menu...

• 1 month later...

Things that annoys me in OS X (Warning: This is a noob point of view)+(Poor English) :D

Note: My OS X experience is based only on iATKOS v5i Hackintosh.. :( So I don't really have a full Mac experience until I get my macbook.. which is my dream laptop.. :D

The zoom button (the green button)

-I can't make the finder window fill the screen like in windows explorer. Where I can see a lot of folders and items in 1 view.. Guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it..

Resizing window

-There is only one point where I can click in order to resize the finder window, that is in the bottom right corner.. While I'm still used to Windows that allows you to resize the explorer window from any edges of the window..

The Preview

-Clicked on 1 image file in the pictures folder, which contains almost a 100 pics.. it only shows the picture that I selected.. unlike in windows photo viewer it shows the current pic, and I can also move to the previous or next photo within the folder.. (But I didn't try iPhoto yet, which is not included in iATKOS v5.. So I don't really have experience on photo managing on macs)

Other than the Above

-Great having no problems so far.. I love it just like I loved windows.. I loved both of the OSes.. I'm writing this on My desktop running win *BSOD*.. Just kidding.. windows vista which I'm running for almost a year now, with no problems or viruses.. Currently running OS X 10.5.5 on my acer laptop while I'm.. (I dunno if this is the right word since my english is'nt very good) gathering money to buy a macbook..

A noob's (and a poor english speaker) opinions on Mac OS X annoyance : END

I've been using OS X for a few years, and a few things that really annoys me to the point of thinking that Windows is better ;) :

1. File management (using Finder). It just plain sucks. I try managing my 700+GB of data using Finder and found it to be Herculean task. The absence of a "Cut" option seems to be the most annoying.

2. HD Video playback. It just sucks big time when a Quad-core and a Radeon 3870 fail to play a 1080p WMV-HD or H.426 video at a frame rate of more than 5 fps.

3. No maximise button. Sometimes I just want an app window to fill the desktop, not "zoom to the best view".

4. Home/End key behaviour. Fixed by installing KeyFixer, but hey, why do I have to use a 3rd party hack in the first place...

5. Multi-session burning. I don't want to waste 4.5GB of space on my DVD-R, just because I need to burn 200MB of data today.

6. Leopard's preview for audio/video files. Why couldn't they left the scrollbar there? I want to preview the file, and sometimes the "preview" I'd like to see isn't at the beginning of the file.

Other than that, I guess I'm happy (for the time being)...

1. File management (using Finder). - Of course it's simply the other way 'round if you come to Windows from Mac OS X. Drag & Drop works very, very fine in Mac OS, whereas Windows has stuff like "cut & paste", which seems completely moronic.

2. HD Video playback. - Strange. HD playback works very fine on my 24" iMac and even on my MacBook Air. I don't use WMV, of course. It's understandable that WMV wouldn't work as well as H.264 and Quicktime.

3. No maximise button. - Maximising windows defies the drag & drop behaviour of an operating system. I need access to other windows and the desktop.

4. Home/End key behaviour. - It's just a point of view thing. I've never expected it to work differently.

5. Multi-session burning. - That one's true.

6. Leopard's preview for audio/video files. - I agree, but they of course want you to use the "real" apps for more features.

Because it does it well enough ?

No, I'm talking about how when I have Excel on both windows I have to mouse all the way over to the other screen instead of just to the top.

Everything else about multiple monitor support is far better in OSX.

Feel free to elaborate.

I often use multiple Excel spreadsheets on multiple monitors. If I have to use the menu while I'm working on the secondary monitor, it's a real pain. It would be so much more handy to simply mouse to the top of the screen (or the window) to click my menus. It's an even bigger problem if you're dealing with 3 monitors. This is one of 2 areas (the other is window resizing) where Windows has OSX beat.

It's not about the dock. I don't know why Windows seems to think it needs a Start menu on every window, but there you go.

• 1 month later...

LACK OF Animated .GIF Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-particularly in Quickview, but Preview is nice as well.

ZOMG!!!!! Google and you will see that nobody has ever undertaken this "feat"

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1. File management (using Finder). It just plain sucks. I try managing my 700+GB of data using Finder and found it to be Herculean task. The absence of a "Cut" option seems to be the most annoying.

I have 2.5TB of data and trying to use Finder is horrific at best, but I am a life long

Windows user so maybe over time it will get easier as I learn, I am thinking about

getting Path Finder in the meantime :)