OS X Annoyances

Swad

278 posts in this topic

the thing that annoys me most about OS X is the fact you have to open the applications folder to run applications rather than just having a drom down menu like in Windows.

another thing is that OS X doesn't always pick up my keystrokes, so i will finish typing and find the first few characters missing

Tha is very easy to solve, you can make a folder, then copy aliases of the programs you want to open via a Menu (form the Dock), then drag that folder to the Dock, when you Control Click (right click) the folder on the dock it will show all the aliases like an applications menu, so you can put there all programs you want, even folder or files wyou use more often or you can drag the Application folder to the Dock, it will show all the aplications an the Utility Folder like a submenu.

Picture_1.jpgPicture_2.jpg

• 2 months later...

My main annoyances are:

1) The lack of a "cut" feature in the Finder... that is just retarded.

2) The fact that you can't burn multisession cd's and dvd's with the finder (windows can)

3) Not being able to go through all the files in a folder (or list forms in safari) starting with a certain letter by tapping it on the keyboard (in windows, this works perfectly, starting with the first file with that letter) On a mac it only shows the first folder and the first file with that letter, and behaves very oddly...

:whistle:) it's feature not bug to complicate deleting files, prewenting from accidencial erase,

hiden files, the idea is to protect home directory, if you want to hawe password for folder use dmg ddisk, it can grow and be protected by pass, ,

Use the forece

Excuse me if it has already been mentioned but the thing that bothers me the most is the sliding windows.... You know, when you want to drag and drop a file to another window and it is partially hidden and it shifts it's position so it's totally hidden, and if you don't catch it just right it will bounce back to where it was. I wish there was a preference to turn this {censored} off.

Oh and let's not forget the inability to print finder windows directly.

Edited by Apophis

1.Clicking "get info" on hard drives give you text info with no pie picture of how much space is free or taken! thats so annoying!

2. No "view as thumbnails" in view folder view options.

3. The maximizing window things (i'm sure its been mentioned 100 times already.

4. No video bit display in display properties...like how many bits the video card is on. 8-16-32 why do they have to make it "hundreds, thousands, millions thats so stupid

Edited by swirl

Well "hundreds, thousands, millions" is technically how many colors can be displayed. Remember, Mac was build with user-kindliness in mind - not every new computer person knows what 8-16-32 is.

No, every volume has it's own trash, in the GUI it appears like there is one trash for all volumes, but the real scenario is that any volume has a .Trashes directory where all the files were trashed.

You can check it, throw files from different volumes, then in Terminal lis the file of /.Trashes AND /Volumes/yourvolume/.Trashes

• 3 weeks later...
As far as I know there isn't a fix for that but if it did maximize the windows again it would do all of them instead of just one. So the alt-tab feature is really just a program selector not a window selector.

Yep, and that's why Witch came into existence. It's a preferencepane that allows window selection.

[*]The control, option, and shift keys on all Apple keyboards need their iconic equivalents on the face of the keys. Any moron can look at the corresponding shortcut next to a menu item with the clover in it and associate it with the “clover key,” but no one without experimentation or digging through manuals is going to know that the up arrow means “shift,” the carrot means “control” (this one is especially bothersome seeing as there is a carrot key on the keyboard), and the indescribable symbol means “option.” I’m not saying that the words should be removed, but the symbol equivalent should be present as well, much like how the small delete key on the external Apple keyboard is arranged. Likewise, the command key should say “command” somewhere on its face.

Mac-keyboard used to have to actual symbols and/or engraving on them. Back then it was an Apple logo (that used to be called the command key) but they changed that over time into the clover. However ppl kept calling the clover key- the Apple-key and/or the command-key. On PC style keyboards these keys are CTRL, ALT and Windows keys but Apple manuals keep callen the ALT key Option though that engraving is not on it.

This is indeed very confusing and not as userfriendly as it should for a suposedly "userfriendly" system. They ought to use to proper encravings in the manuals and the discussions instead of keep using engravins that aren't on the keys anymore.

Or they should put the old symbols back on the keys. I think real Apple keyboards still have the "option" mark on the ALT-key but the Apple-logo is exchanged with the clover (though still revert to as the Apple-key).

Now this shouldn't be a problem for computerliterate ppl since you can change the behavior of PC-keyboards more like you're used to in Windows (CTRL-C for copy, CTRL-V for paste instead of Apple/clover-C and Apple/Clover-V)

The only problem is that if you change these keys for the OSX desktop they unfortunatly also get reversed for the terminal (and terminal apps like VI or NANO become a bit more confusing)

Anyway this is how I set-up my standard PC keyboard

--> System Preferences --> keyboard & mouse --> modifier keys

leave CAP's lock as it is

Control key = Command

Option key = Control

Command key = Option

Hope this makes this anoyance a bit less anoying,

EPDM

the thing that annoys me most about OS X is the fact you have to open the applications folder to run applications rather than just having a drom down menu like in Windows.

another thing is that OS X doesn't always pick up my keystrokes, so i will finish typing and find the first few characters missing

Drag the application folder to the iconbar/Dock. You can put directories next to the trashcan.

If you then single click the application window will open up immediatly. But if you click and hold the button then all your apps will show up in a menu. Really nice and the best of both worlds. In fact you can do this with any folder you put up there.

Cheers,

EPDM

Drag the application folder to the iconbar/Dock. You can put directories next to the trashcan.

If you then single click the application window will open up immediatly. But if you click and hold the button then all your apps will show up in a menu. Really nice and the best of both worlds. In fact you can do this with any folder you put up there.

Cheers,

EPDM

Edited by EPDM

I've been using OSX for ~3 years?

Oh, how I love it! BUT...

I have emotional trauma each time I try to resize a window from somewhere besides the bottom right corner. Why, WHy, WHY!?

I'd love to be able to hide the desktop.

I know I can hit ctrl-F2 to target the menu bar, but I'd rather hit alt-F to drop the file menu, alt-V to drop view menu, etc.

Some dialogues won't take keyboard input.

Too mousy in general.

Expensive, proprietary hardware... well, :(

• 2 weeks later...