What wireless cards would you like to see fixed?

Franzy

368 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the Atheros 5005 (g) fixed so that I can obtain an ip address when authenticated with an 802.1X network that uses TTLS PAP encryption. Using the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext is a temporary solution to allowing Mac OS X to detect the card as airport, however in the new releases of Apples Airport update, there is functionality and improved security in these updates that is not available in the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext. For example the ability to connect to certain 3rd party access points that use WEP and the update to keep an attacker from exploiting airport to do an attack. With respect to 802.1X, Many Universities are now using this kind of encryption to keep people who are not students and faculty from being able to access University wireless access points and to keep people from setting up rogue access points. Unfortunately, orangeware, a commercial driver to make atheros based chip sets run on Mac OS X, does not appear to be able to run on Mac OS X 10.4.8 because the demo version that should last for 10 minutes gives me an error that says it could not run on my computer and I should contact the developer for an update. I think the problem may be with sleeping to wait for an ip address because this same problem happens on Linux with wpa_supplicant for atheros chipsets but turning off ip version 6 makes the wait time to obtain an IP longer so that it obtains the IP address without timing out. On Mac OS X 10.4, disabling ip version 6 still is not good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Broadcom 4311 for Compaq Presario C500 series. Please......................

I second that, although I think our BIOS implementation may be holding us back. The OS/driver would have to get around the hardware/software switch problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you having problems with the Broadcom 4311....IT IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH THE SWITCH OR WITH POWER!!!! There are two active threads discussing this issue. It appears to be a problem with the mini PCI Express slot. I would suggest you look at the threads below for more information:

[Good Info] Acer/Compaq/Etc. WiFi Killswitch Fix, For those of you who can't seem to get WiFi working...

Questions for a Guru, Adding support for mini PCI-E Bus