What wireless cards would you like to see fixed?

Franzy

368 posts in this topic

Hey

I'm working on the wireless for the new 10.4.7 install dvd. I started this topic to get an idea which are the most needed and wanted cards so they may be included in the dvd. Be sure to list any cards you think are the most important, even if there is a fix or not. This is purely an open opinion thread to get an idea of the most popular cards.

Here's my current list

dell 1300, 1350, 1400, 1450

intel (if my plan for the intel cards works)

linksys

belkin

seeing as how the entire set of intel cards are popular as it is, if i do get 1 card to work i would definitely try for the entire series. Linksys cards i'm not too familar on the specific models, let alone the less popular 1s (if any).

When you list your card, please list whether or not it is supported. If you know a fix for it, please leave an explanation/attachment of driver/link to thread where it was fixed.

Thanks,

Franzy

Intel drivers dont exist. Get these drivers -

Atheros - should work

Broadcom -add ID 4318

PrismGT - have to download

Ralink - have to download

Hey do you have any idea if there is a trick to get an atheros chipset to work. I have a card based on that and nothing is detected in system profiler. Any Ideas?

This one, please:

IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II

Chipset: Atheros AR5004X

PCI ID: 168c:1014

The card worked out of the box under 10.4.5 in my IBM ThinkPad X31.

Now I installed 10.4.6 with the JaS_INTEL_AMD_10.4.6_Install_DVD and I tried everything I read in the forum to get the card to work - no success... ;)

Perhaps you can solve my problem.

Thanks,

mess

Intel 3945ABG. Very popular card due to the new Centrino Duo platform requiring them.

Apparently, the reason all attempts in the past have failed is because Apple's wireless networking stack is undocumented. The coders, all skillfull enough to do it, have said that if a documented one were available, they'd be able to create a driver very quickly (about a week or something).

So, let's hope you've got a friend at apple who has leaked the neccessary documentation to you ;)

(then again, there are other 3rd party wlan drivers, like the PRISM one, and Zydas: how do they do it?)