Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Hi All

Many thanks to all for their work here:

I've not used Hurt's installer but have used boot and boot0 from RC5pre8 and latest Cam' pref 2.

RC5 Pre8 is working just fine - but I am noticing a slightly longer boottime, 16 turns rather than 11.

pref pane 2 looks fantastic but doesn't see my SW RAID setup:

post-275122-1265641278_thumb.png

Cheers

D.

Hi All

Many thanks to all for their work here:

I've not used Hurt's installer but have used boot and boot0 from RC5pre8 and latest Cam' pref 2.

RC5 Pre8 is working just fine - but I am noticing a slightly longer boottime, 16 turns rather than 11.

pref pane 2 looks fantastic but doesn't see my SW RAID setup:

Cheers

D.

Could u post ur diskutil list ?

Could u post ur diskutil list ?

of course:

/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:                 Apple_RAID                         319.7 GB   disk0s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Mac RAID Boot 1         134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk1
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:                 Apple_RAID                         319.7 GB   disk1s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Mac RAID Boot 2         134.2 MB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk2
  1:               Windows_NTFS Windows7 Boot           104.9 MB   disk2s1
  2:               Windows_NTFS Windows 7 x64           250.0 GB   disk2s2
/dev/disk3
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk3
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk3s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Music                   333.4 GB   disk3s2
  3:                  Apple_HFS Pictures                333.4 GB   disk3s3
  4:                  Apple_HFS Video                   332.8 GB   disk3s4
/dev/disk4
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk4
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk4s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS OS X Backup             249.7 GB   disk4s2
/dev/disk5
  0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh RAID         *639.5 GB   disk5

D

I've never used SW Raids, is the resulting volume always without partition identifier? (eg. disk5 instead of disk5s2)

seems to be yes.

I have E/E on disk0s3 and 1s3 - having followed nathan7's guide here

Not sure how may people use this method and if it's worth incorporating to pref pane??

D.

anyone know what's is this on my log? can it be remove or fix? it shows after executing fsck.

localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/chum.plist
localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/pilotfish.plist

or should i just ignore it? i believe i remember seeing "launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist" before but no the other 2. Thank You.

anyone know what's is this on my log? can it be remove or fix? it shows after executing fsck.

localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/chum.plist
localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/pilotfish.plist

or should i just ignore it? i believe i remember seeing "launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist" before but no the other 2. Thank You.

the compare because of x code, i have them too, it's not a problem but if i can find i way to avoid it I'll post.

the compare because of x code, i have them too, it's not a problem but if i can find i way to avoid it I'll post.

SOLVED: deleting them. No problem so far...

SOLVED: deleting them. No problem so far...

cool, why did'nt i think of that! it works by deleting them but hopefully it doesnt have an ill effect on my system.

Thank you BTW.

cool, why did'nt i think of that! it works by deleting them but hopefully it doesnt have an ill effect on my system.

Thank you BTW.

The better idea is to move them somewhere then if after awhile you can delete them, this way you always have them to restore in case of problems.

hi everybody!

is there anyway to hide my 2 windows sof-raid hdds to mac os x...

everytime i boot in mac they are detected by macos and i´m proposed to initialize or expulse them...

i know that this is not exactly related to chameleon but maybe someone here could tell me...

thanks in advance,

dani

seems to be yes.

I have E/E on disk0s3 and 1s3 - having followed nathan7's guide here

Not sure how may people use this method and if it's worth incorporating to pref pane??

D.

ok, thx. I'll get to fix as soon as i got time.

hi everybody!

is there anyway to hide my 2 windows sof-raid hdds to mac os x...

everytime i boot in mac they are detected by macos and i´m proposed to initialize or expulse them...

i know that this is not exactly related to chameleon but maybe someone here could tell me...

thanks in advance,

dani

Have a look at fstab. link

Have a look at fstab. link

thanks for answering diebuche, i read the link but i cannot get UUID for that drives/raidgroup in diskutility...

LABEL is not going to work (imo) as the info from the raid is not accesible for mac... i think...

so is there any way to get UUID for those partitions... maybe in windows?

thanks,

dani

ps: anybody having problems to post in this forum with firefox... i have to use safari for posting here as in firefox i cannot write in the message body box

@ danif:

Please open a new topic for your problem. I can confirm that sl diskutility shows uuid only for hfs formatted partitions, not for fat/ntfs. Quick google turned up this, maybe it is of help.

Full reply does not work with firefox here either, but fast reply does.

@rekursor

thanks for your dedication to this (nightshifts and all)! RC5pre8 brings no bold, noticeable improvements on my system, but works perfectly fine and from reading this thread I am sure there have been a lot of fixes and improvements "under the hood" (only problem left for me is usblegacy trouble).

lost track a bit who is responsible for what here, sorry... nevertheless a big THANKS FOR YOUR WORK! to all of you!

@ prefpane

Looks great, works great... well done! two minor points:

- the icon in System Preferences is a drive with question mark - chameleon logo would be cool!

- maybe the "locked" status on start could be more "in your face" visually (I realize this is a bit nitpicking... nevermind.)

@ installer

works great! two things:

- installing onto a fat(32) formatted usb stick completes with "success!", but destroys the partition layout, so at the next mount it will be unreadable. The same thing happens to me when manually dd-ing boot1f32 to a fat32 partition. Either boot1f32 is broken, or it must be installed differently.

In any case, it would be a good idea to integrate a warning before this is resolved, because it trashes all data on the stick.

- when installed to usb or EFI, the prefpanel ends up there instead of being copied to your OSx root.

p.s.: have the kexts coming with rc4 been left out on purpose?

@ prefpane

Looks great, works great... well done! two minor points:

- the icon in System Preferences is a drive with question mark - chameleon logo would be cool!

- maybe the "locked" status on start could be more "in your face" visually (I realize this is a bit nitpicking... nevermind.)

you can use the chameleon.icns included instead of the .tiff if you change the corrispoding line in the info.plist inside the .PrefPanel after that you need to reinstall...

This is the result:

post-464373-1265932788_thumb.png

the installe and the release are not the final one and so there are only the things that need to be tested, like the prefpanel or the bootloader...

you can use the chameleon.icns included instead of the .tiff if you change the corrispoding line in the info.plist inside the .PrefPanel after that you need to reinstall...

Thanks for that tip scrax. If it had been posted before then I'd missed it. I much prefer that.

Using RC5pre8 (either from EFI partition or from the SnowLeopard partition) i get a "couldn't allocate memory for table"-error. The boot contiunes as normal but I can't find any infromation about what it means. I would like to find out, and possibly try to fix it.

Thanks for a great job!

EDIT: Also, the memory speed is incorrect from RC4 and up. RC3 showed 800mhz which is correct for my RAM, but RC4 and RC5 shows 667mhz. Does this effect the acctual speed or is just incorrect info?

Using RC5pre8 (either from EFI partition or from the SnowLeopard partition) i get a "couldn't allocate memory for table"-error. The boot contiunes as normal but I can't find any infromation about what it means. I would like to find out, and possibly try to fix it.

Thanks for a great job!

EDIT: Also, the memory speed is incorrect from RC4 and up. RC3 showed 800mhz which is correct for my RAM, but RC4 and RC5 shows 667mhz. Does this effect the acctual speed or is just incorrect info?

Thanks, this is a display regression bug happening since the recent functionalities addon.

I fixed that.

But was is important for you here is that instead of this message, it should have displayed that your DSDT.aml was not found...

So you should check the location of your DSDT.aml and make sure it is in your /Extra folder as an example.

Thanks also for reporting the memory problem, I think i have an idea from where it can come ...

Thanks, this is a display regression bug happening since the recent functionalities addon.

I fixed that.

But was is important for you here is that instead of this message, it should have displayed that your DSDT.aml was not found...

So you should check the location of your DSDT.aml and make sure it is in your /Extra folder as an example.

Thanks also for reporting the memory problem, I think i have an idea from where it can come ...

Aah I see, not a problem then as I acctually dont even use a DSDT-file. Havent really seen a use for it on my system.

Just realized that the restart dont work though. I know that its duvell300s code so I should probably ask for help in another thread just want to make sure that I aint missing something first. It should work out-of-the-box, correct? Anything that I might have to change in the BIOS or anything else?

About the memory speeds, dont mention it, i love to help out in any possible way! =)

About the memory speeds, dont mention it, i love to help out in any possible way! =)

This is what I use / changed:

static int sm_get_memtype(char *name, int table_num)
{
   if (Platform.RAM.Type)
return Platform.RAM.Type;
   else
return SMB_MEM_TYPE_DDR2;
}

static int sm_get_memspeed(char *name, int table_num)
{
   if (Platform.RAM.Type)
return round2(Platform.RAM.Frequency / 500000, 2);
   else
return (Platform.CPU.Mobile) ? 667 : 800;
}

Simply because 800MHz DDR2 RAM is more likely to be used in desktop PC's.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, let me introduce...

A fully working, Windows friendly, installer.

It installs Chameleon 2 RC5 pre8 and the preference pane 2.0.0 RC4 to your HDD or USB stick.

Advantages:

• Windows Vista/7 boot loader will no longer break.
  • Chameleon boot loader will start even if the Windows partition is the one set active. (fixes Windows sleep issue).
  • All the advantages of the new boot loader and prefpane.

============================================================================

I have just finished modifying blackosx's code as required, integrated it in my installer's script, installed it and Windows 7 still boots. :):)

This is still experimental. Please use at your own risk, and report how it goes.

It's always recommended to have a Chameleon boot CD at hand.

I'll release it to beta testers here once I get the permission from blackosx. [Edit: Ooops, you've beat me to it. Thanks]

Was the modified boot0, which allows Chameleon to start without the OS X partition set active, been integrated into the trunk yet?

Edit: R2 contains a small cleanup.

Wow. Awesome work. Installed it and now I can boot OSX and Win 7 w/out any problems and no boot usb/cd. Seriously thanks a lot! Works perfectly with a theme as well! Woot!