Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Weird tried it and here ECDT.aml was not loaded(both leopard/snow)

With Andy one worked.

I'm more then happy with new ACPI stuff!

Hope to fix all soon.

@rekursor AndyVand didnt register on chameleon repo?

I don't see any of his stuff there...

Hey King,

I don't load custom acpi table afaik but it is in the pipe,

I didn't see any of them yet (I need the voodoo project nicknames so I can add them)

They are welcome to help of course !

EDIT: I tried to add 'andyvand' and it is not yet a registered nickname in the repository,

please tell him that he has to register there...

Blackosx and possibly smith@@,

I found again some loose parts of code (twice the same code but different algos ...) for searching for DSDT,

a return NULL for an int value that should be -1 for fd,

so I decided to clean that up, it works great for me now :

So here the DEBUG boot file for you folks:

dsdt_uid_fix.tar.gz

Blackosx what about your pciroot uid problem ?

I can report it works just great thanks. Good job :)

I can report it works just great thanks. Good job :)

Well Folks NOW I'm really happy because I can't describe how terrible was the code I just rewrote :)

I'll integrate 18seven patch and will publish an RC5pre8 ASAP

(I'll try to make it before you sleep folks)

Weird tried it and here ECDT.aml was not loaded(both leopard/snow)

With Andy one worked.

I'm more then happy with new ACPI stuff!

Hope to fix all soon.

@rekursor AndyVand didnt register on chameleon repo?

I don't see any of his stuff there...

You're right, I was wrong booter, with this don't load ECDT.aml, only with the andy boot, my mistake;)

The rest works perfectly

Rek about the implementation of the override table it will be in the next prerc with the same option of andy boot?

Well Folks NOW I'm really happy because I can't describe how terrible was the code I just rewrote :)

I'm happy for you :)

You're right, I was wrong booter, with this don't load ECDT.aml, only with the andy boot, my mistake;)

The rest works perfectly

Rek about the implementation of the override table it will be in the next prerc with the same option of andy boot?

Well, now for sure it wont be in pre8, I invited andy, even posted a reply in his thread on voodoo,

will see. I might integrate his work myself soon, depending on the spare time I still have,

but please bare in mind that for me and RC5, stability is my goal.

Bugs always have my priorities, that said, I am also extremely motivated to integrate the acpi tables loading,

and behind the pre8 modifications, there's a software architecture now ready for receiving it ...

I'll integrate 18seven patch and will publish an RC5pre8 ASAP

(I'll try to make it before you sleep folks)

Waiting for it....

I've tried the RC4 for the panel and th aACPI table works only unlocked but the panel allow the button to be pressed also unlocked and this crash the panel.

Otherwise it is ok, also the translation is good (only one thing "Percorso Config. Avvio"need to be shortened in "Percorso Conf. Avvio" to avoid clipping i'll post in the forge the corrections ASAP.

but please bare in mind that for me and RC5, stability is my goal.

That's fair enough;)

Bugs always have my priorities, that said, I am also extremely motivated to integrate the acpi tables loading,

and behind the pre8 modifications, there's a software architecture now ready for receiving it ...

Ok, but please note that Andy has already created a rc5pre7 with its changes and works perfectly, at least from what I could try :)

Waiting for it....

I've tried the RC4 for the panel and th aACPI table works only unlocked but the panel allow the button to be pressed also unlocked and this crash the panel.

I haven't this problem, it works well :)

Waiting for it....

Otherwise it is ok, also the translation is good (only one thing "Percorso Config. Avvio"need to be shortened in "Percorso Conf. Avvio" to avoid clipping i'll post in the forge the corrections ASAP.

mmmm, strange it works unlocked for me ...

Call for HELP for internationalization of spanish file in the prefpane,

The only thing you need to do is carefully translate the text (but not the comments /* .. */ lines)

Take care not to inadvertently change any IDs that our toochains need to reincorporate the file in its xib file.

Thanks !

I going to translate it ...

I'm going to test, which are the quick keys?

Thanks, It's documented in i386/boot2/options.c search for 18seven

Anyone willing to start an html documentation for chameleon is welcome, have no time for it now (rushing on Andy's work), but it would be really great !

@rek: i cannot understand why you would want to add an option to extract acpi tables. some of the tables have been known to "not extract" when done from osx and once extracted and loaded thro chameleon the next time its gonna dump the table which we injected in the first place. so for every user the table extraction is a one time thing and do u need that option on the prefpane? just a question and tryin to help avoid confusion when users start dumpin tables which they injected!

Let's start by asking a simple question: Who here patched his/her: APIC, MCFG, HPET, OEMB, OSFR, EDCT tables? Or any of the other tables that can be patched and injected with Andy's patch?

I guess we all know the answer. Not to mention that you have to have ACPI tables before you can even patch them so this feature is a must have. In short: It will only dump patched ACPI tables after you, or someone else worked on them.

Note: I can boot without a patched DSDT and/or SSDT and as such this feature is great. Thanks again Rekursor for implementing this great feature. And I am sure that people are going to appreciate it real soon.

Thanks, It's documented in i386/boot2/options.c search for 18seven

Ok

Anyone willing to start an html documentation for chameleon is welcome, have no time for it now (rushing on Andy's work), but it would be really great !

I will do it in the coming days;)

ote: I can boot without a patched DSDT and/or SSDT and as such this feature is great. Thanks again Rekursor for implementing this great feature. And I am sure that people are going to appreciate it real soon.

Thanks Chief, I cannot agree more !

I'm currently having a look to Andy's work,

Far too much options imho that could be completely avoided by a smart automation,

here my comment:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...99.html#msg4999

Please confirm to me that it makes sense for you.

I'm currently having a look to Andy's work,

Far too much options imho that could be completely avoided by a smart automation,

here my comment:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...99.html#msg4999

Please confirm to me that it makes sense for you.

Let's start by a quick write down of the objectives:

1) Drop given tables by signature name from plist.

2) Drop known broken / useless tables automatically (starting with OEMB and OSFR).

3) User defined tables will replace the factory table with the same signature.

5) Loading one table should drop all other tables with the same signature (SSDT for example).

6) We only want one table per signature (what is the point of having 16 SSDT tables? Just because Apple uses it?).

7) The current drop option(s) in the plist will no longer be supported.

8) Lookup tables on disk by signature name, not by searching the folder for tables (much slower), and load them in the given order in the plist (which might be important).

9) Don't drop tables OSX relies on (like HPET for example). At least not without first having a replacement.

10) Don't have replicate code.

What do you think?

Edit:: What about use something like pathNames = [n] { "a-path", "b-path", "c-path", "d-path", "e-path", }

instead of code replication? Why not use a loop for functions like search_and_get_acpi_fd.

Let's start by a quick write down of the objectives:

What do you think?

> 1) Drop given tables by signature name from plist.

Yes with my proposal all signatures to drop would be in the enhanced (but already existing) Drop option

> 2) Drop known broken / useless tables automatically (starting with OEMB and OSFR).

Could easily be done by adding them to the 'Drop' list (simple and still giving all choice to user ?)

> 3) User defined tables will replace the factory table with the same signature.

That's what I propose but I need to know the name in advance (no find files function here)

so I suggested that we replace the files present in the same dir than the dsdt file found(if forced or anywhere possible if no forced -> already implemented this smarter algo. in r62)

> 5) Loading one table should drop all other tables with the same signature (SSDT for example).

Yes, would make sense to me

>6) We only want one table per signature (what is the point of having 16 SSDT tables? Just because Apple uses it?).

Well, I think some bioses does have more than one SSDT, but if it is specified in the Drop clause, we don't really care IMHO as the original would be dropped and a new one would be loaded if it exists :wallbash:

7) The current drop option(s) in the plist will no longer be supported.

Yes, Drop = "<ACPI1> <ACPI2> ..." would take its place

8) Lookup tables on disk by signature name, not by searching the folder for tables (much slower), and load them in the given order in the plist (which might be important).

Ok for the order and good point, I believe we can optimize drastically the search with (a incremented version) of my algo, which would keep track of the last successful path for next tables to load -> no search at all except when no match with current memorized last path ...

> 9) Don't drop tables OSX relies on (like HPET for example). At least not without first having a replacement.

Also makes sense, but could be the responsibility of user in the first versions ?

> 10) Don't have replicate code.

AHHH THANK YOU for that one, in r61 and r62 on my branch (not finished but a start with Andy's patch) I already factorized essential code ...

Thanks for this great feedback,

I'm the kind of believer that a good specification is always essential for good software making.

Here is the Spanish translated Chameleon.strings file:

Chameleon.strings.Spanish.zip

BTW, the typo error "orce the path..." was corrected to "Force the path".

Cualquier duda o sugerencia favor de hacerla saber.

Nota: algunas palabras no tienen traducción al español o bien se usan como estan y no fueron traducidas y otras fueron ajustadas al idioma.

Saludos.

PD. gusto en ayudar en este interesante proyecto.

Hey rek, like in Andy boot this features will be implemented?

Automatic ACPI V1 to V4 upgrading through UpdateACPIVersion=Yes boot argument.

This:

- Updates RSD PTR V1 to RSD PTR V3

- Auto generates XSDT from RSDT

- Converts old style short FADT to FADT V4

:wallbash: I'm going to sleep, goodnight friend ...

Ps.

Honestly I think that Asere will not release its code, otherwise he would have already done, but this is a my opinion;)

Hey rek, like in Andy boot this features will be implemented?

:wallbash: I'm going to sleep, goodnight friend ...

Ps.

Honestly I think that Asere will not release its code, otherwise he would have already done, but this is a my opinion;)

Yes smith@@, it is basically andy's REALLY great work & features that I integrate now, the only thing with it is that we are also trying to make a change the will live well in time, with factorized code, as less options as possible replaced by smarter software behavior,

and yes I am pessimistic about the memory patch too, it would be a shame (but let's give asere a chance for now as it is not sure that he won't share his code finally) as we should all work for the same community.

Alone we are nothing, together we can even rebuild the memory code later ourselves, what a loss of time and energy though :wallbash:

Now the good side, we have andy today in our always growing team, motivated by only one same goal: make the best chameleon ever released, all open source, all public :D

Yes smith@@, it is basically andy's REALLY great work & features that I integrate now, the only thing with it is that we are also trying to make a change the will live well in time, with factorized code, as less options as possible replaced by smarter software behavior,

and yes I am pessimistic about the memory patch too, it would be a shame (but let's give asere a chance for now as it is not sure that he won't share his code finally) as we should all work for the same community.

Alone we are nothing, together we can even rebuild the memory code later ourselves, what a loss of time and energy though :blink:

Now the good side, we have andy today in our always growing team, motivated by only one same goal: make the best chameleon ever released, all open source, all public :D

I can't agree more, rek ;) wow!