Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

@Rek:

2.0RC5pre8 bug description: after the grey spinning wheel i get a little bit longer (4-5 sec.) blue screen then the desktop appears after then the blue screen appears again (!) for 3-4 sec. and after all this the desktop is ON eventually.

2.0RC5pre7 is my favourite for now :)

Congratulations and good luck to the new cool members @ the Chameleon team :dance_24::happymac:

Thanks!

We need more system (booter) developers here, not afraid about consequent development challenges :)

Rek,

Thanks for the kind words :dance_24: I can be a beta tested and report a bugs if any :happymac:. Im a graphics guy in the real life and I could contribute in the UI approval for example or to compile a nice looking PDF Guide for Chameleon :)

see my proposal here. DieBuche liked it.

OT: ATI 4300/4500/4600 and i7 870 & i5 750 owners would be happy - Netkas just released PC EFI 10.6

Rek,

Thanks for the kind words :) I can be a beta tested and report a bugs if any :). Im a graphics guy in the real life and I could contribute in the UI approval for example or to compile a nice looking PDF Guide for Chameleon :)

see my proposal here. DieBuche liked it.

OT: ATI 4300/4500/4600 and i7 870 & i5 750 owners would be happy - Netkas just released PC EFI 10.6

Great News !!

Thanks to all of you,

Folks, Now Zef is back and I just have a new contracting job coming ; so I'll be less available from today till at least next week.

I'll let diebuche manage the prefpane, he's doing so well witt it that I'm sure it will be just great !

Concerning the booter,

I'll brief rapidly my team, but as ZEF is again available,

I believe he can now continue to manage RC5 himself for the next days/ week ...

Thanks for you understanding,

I'll be back ASAP for the chameleon, but paid job comes first -_-

Hi DieBuche

For reference, here it was. But I understand from Rekursor's last post that this is no longer necessary. Until that is released though, if anybody wants to try this out, it does work. :(

That looks promising but I haven't tested it. Is this based on Zef's new code? (mentioned by rekursor).

Edit: It worked fine for me. Now I'll try to modify your code to work with the installer (ie varibles). I'll not release the installer with your code till you give me your consent.

Hi Dr. Hurt

That looks promising but I haven't tested it. Is this based on Zef's new code? (mentioned by rekursor).
The modified boot0 was from Zef's original code talked about in this discussion on the voodooprojects' forum, combined with this discussion with Rekursor.

Zef has shown that the fdisk supplied in the Chameleon binaries has already been modded to only write to the first 440 bytes. See his post on voodooprojects' forum.

Edit: It worked fine for me. Now I'll try to modify your code to work with the installer (ie varibles). I'll not release the installer with your code till you give me your consent.

Yes, the script I put together also works. Thanks for trying it and feel free to use my script (if it's still relevant) in your installer :)

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, let me introduce...

A fully working, Windows friendly, installer.

It installs Chameleon 2 RC5 pre8 and the preference pane 2.0.0 RC4 to your HDD or USB stick.

Advantages:

• Windows Vista/7 boot loader will no longer break.
  • Chameleon boot loader will start even if the Windows partition is the one set active. (fixes Windows sleep issue).
  • All the advantages of the new boot loader and prefpane.

============================================================================

I have just finished modifying blackosx's code as required, integrated it in my installer's script, installed it and Windows 7 still boots. :):D

This is still experimental. Please use at your own risk, and report how it goes.

It's always recommended to have a Chameleon boot CD at hand.

I'll release it to beta testers here once I get the permission from blackosx. [Edit: Ooops, you've beat me to it. Thanks]

Was the modified boot0, which allows Chameleon to start without the OS X partition set active, been integrated into the trunk yet?

Edit: R2 contains a small cleanup.

Chameleon_2_RC5_pre8_R2.zip

I'll release it to beta testers here once I get the permission from blackosx. [Edit: Ooops, you've beat me to it. Thanks]

Lol. I look forward to seeing your new installer :)

EDIT: Good job.

EDIT: Okay, I have finally had the time to give your installer a proper test.

• I have OS X installed on disk0s3

• I installed Windows7 on disk0s4 which meant Windows7 took over the MBR and became the default system.

• Booted in to Chameleon on a bootable USB stick and chose to boot my OS X installation.

• Ran your installer to my Chameleon partition on disk0s2

• Rebooted without the USB and Chameleon loaded just fine even though Windows7 is the active partition.

• I can boot Windows7 just fine even it enters sleep.

• I can boot OS X just fine.

For anyone who's a bit wary of this installer, I can conclude it works perfectly for me :D

Was the modified boot0, which allows Chameleon to start without the Windows partition set active, been integrated into the trunk yet?

I don't think so (but I could be wrong).

It installs Chameleon 2 RC5 pre8 and the preference pane 2.0.0 RC4 to your HDD or USB stick.

I have just finished modifying blackosx's code as required, integrated it in my installer's script, installed it and Windows 7 still boots. :D:D

This is still experimental. Please use at your own risk, and report how it goes.

Was the modified boot0, which allows Chameleon to start without the OS X partition set active, been integrated into the trunk yet?

This installer, along with the new boot0 (soon to be released?) will be the dual booters' dream come true.

Nice Installer ! :wacko:

Could it be possible to create a application for Win7 that can install chameleon's bootloader?

Doing this, eliminates the needs of a bootable USB or DVD to boot in OSX and restore the boot0 after Win7 get installed.

On a fresh HD with 2 partition, installing Win7 first and OSX works ok. The need of a bootable USB or DVD comes when you install OSX first.

Is there any other workaround for this ?

Love the new pref pane. Everything works well except the boot drive choices. The drives are not properly shown. It says my Snow partition is on drive 1 but it's actually drive 0 so when I click the snow partition it boots to something else. I am able to manually choose it in the boot.plist but it would be nice to use the pref pane. Any ideas why its not working?

Love the new pref pane. Everything works well except the boot drive choices. The drives are not properly shown. It says my Snow partition is on drive 1 but it's actually drive 0 so when I click the snow partition it boots to something else. I am able to manually choose it in the boot.plist but it would be nice to use the pref pane. Any ideas why its not working?

Hi spacr

Have a look at the 'Boot Setup' section and you'll find a 'Swap hd 0<->1' option. If you select that then your drive numbers will be reversed and you can use it as normal.

Could it be possible to create a application for Win7 that can install chameleon's bootloader?

Doing this, eliminates the needs of a bootable USB or DVD to boot in OSX and restore the boot0 after Win7 get installed.

Good idea rals2007, that would make it even simpler..

Maybe this thread could help here?

I have not GUI. Is this correct?

Advantages:

• Windows Vista/7 boot loader will no longer break.
  • Chameleon boot loader will start even if the Windows partition is the one set active. (fixes Windows sleep issue).
  • All the advantages of the new boot loader and prefpane.

============================================================================

I have just finished modifying blackosx's code as required, integrated it in my installer's script, installed it and Windows 7 still boots. :);)

It's always recommended to have a Chameleon boot CD at hand.

Yes, it is correct. RC5 doesn't contain a default theme.

It will, however, load a theme placed in the extra folder.

Now, i have a problem. Snow starts without problems. win7 starts without problems. But Leopard (Each OS have a separate hd) reboots and reboots

leopardj.jpg

I have no idea.... The last line on the photo is the last line before reboots....

I have tried:

- AsereBLN Bootloader

- Chameleon RC5 from this thread

- Chameleon RC3 + Netkas PC EFIv10.5

since i tried AsereBLN i have this problem with Leopard. Before i has Cham. RC3 + Netkas v10.5 and it works. now, since AsereBLN i can´t boot Leopard (iPC 10.5.7). I install as last Chameleon RC5 but no luck.

- v = no luck

- f = no luck

- x = no luck

- s = no luck....

{censored}.... i need Leopard!

Now, i have a problem. Snow starts without problems. win7 starts without problems. But Leopard (Each OS have a separate hd) reboots and reboots

{censored}.... i need Leopard!

Do you have separate folders for Leo/Snow kexts in Extensions? Because some are specific to the OS version. FakeSMC for one.

I have no idea.... The last line on the photo is the last line before reboots....

Auf deiner Leo-Partition ist ein versteckter Ordner /var/log . Kannst du das system.log aus dem Ordner hier anhängen?

Auf deiner Leo-Partition ist ein versteckter Ordner /var/log . Kannst du das system.log aus dem Ordner hier anhängen?

Habe erst Mal vieles rausgelöscht, was vor dem 05.02.10 lag. Ich hoffe, dass du da was sehen kannst. Habe im Bios noch Mal alles gecheckt, ich find keinen Fehler. Irgendwas hat AsereBLN verändert. Ich hatte einen Bios Reset (wohl, weil DSDT.aml nicht gefunden wurde). Hatte dann das Bios wieder eingestellt, Chameleon installiert, aber nichts half. Snow und Win7 gehen, Leo nicht mehr. Interessanterweise startet Snow neuerdings von Hause aus in 64bit (Kernel)....

Do you have separate folders for Leo/Snow kexts in Extensions? Because some are specific to the OS version. FakeSMC for one.

Each OS (Snow and Leo) has a separate Extra Folder with DSDT etc, Kexts etc....

system.log.zip

Habe erst Mal vieles rausgelöscht, was vor dem 05.02.10 lag. Ich hoffe, dass du da was sehen kannst. Habe im Bios noch Mal alles gecheckt, ich find keinen Fehler. Irgendwas hat AsereBLN verändert. Ich hatte einen Bios Reset (wohl, weil DSDT.aml nicht gefunden wurde). Hatte dann das Bios wieder eingestellt, Chameleon installiert, aber nichts half. Snow und Win7 gehen, Leo nicht mehr. Interessanterweise startet Snow neuerdings von Hause aus in 64bit (Kernel)....

Hi, had strange issues with Asere's 1.1.7 bootloader. Will report in the next days on his thread on efixuser forum. The issues where: random KP on boot, random boot hangs (seems to have more incidence when system was turned off and and removed from AC). Damaged files folder started to appear in root partition of bootdrive. But not to go too much offtopic, I had to reformat the EFI partition and reinstall Chameleon from scratch with chameleon installer. Maybe it helps.

One should only need this for booting from a drive with two or more partitions with OS X [one 10.5.x and another with 10.6.x] . Not for booting from a different drive. Or am I missing something?

Hi, had strange issues with Asere's 1.1.7 bootloader.

But v1.1.8 is already out [with bug fixes] so give it a go.

p.s. Asere started to add more source code in his public repository [for people who still think that he won't share all of it].

But v1.1.8 is already out [with bug fixes] so give it a go.

p.s. Asere started to add more source code in his public repository [for people who still think that he won't share all of it].

Great, will give it a try.

And seeing some of his code appearing as sources is another win against the evil (proprietary SW).

Will give it a look.

bye

If Chameleon RC4 still boots but versions made available by Rekursur here not, then it must be something he changed.

1) Can you boot with the official version of Chameleon RC4?

2) Which version of Rekursor here did break boot for you with OS X 10.5?

Hi spacr

Have a look at the 'Boot Setup' section and you'll find a 'Swap hd 0<->1' option. If you select that then your drive numbers will be reversed and you can use it as normal.

That was simple. Thank you very much!

ok... why don't you "fakEfi" devels not regroupe into ONE SINGLE THREAD?!? Ofcourse, with the aferent contribution from each one? The OSx86 developer comunity must reunite a lil bit. This way, we can evolve much quicker and much efficient. I'm saying this because the alot of "testering" users are very confuzed. Sorry for my miserable english and keep-up tha good work! :rolleyes:

If Chameleon RC4 still boots but versions made available by Rekursur here not, then it must be something he changed.

1) Can you boot with the official version of Chameleon RC4?

2) Which version of Rekursor here did break boot for you with OS X 10.5?

First i testet AsereBLN. I install 1.1.7 on my Snow HD. After reboot, my Bios has reset. After i set my Bios can´t start Snow or Leo. I start my backup hd via usb und the last Chameleon RC5+Prefpane. But no luck. Leo can´t start and reboot and reboot. The i install Chameleon RC3 + Netkas PC EFI v10.5 on my Snow hd. Now, Snow starts perfect, Win7 too but Leo reboots and reboots.... (show my pic). Leo loads until 1 line before see IOAPIC. but before IOAPIC loads, reboot my Leo hd.... sorry for my bad english... i hope, you understand me...

Then i have testet: Leo hd as first boot, Chameleon RC3+Netkas PC EFI v10.5 install on Leo hd. but the same results. reboot reboot....

Leo is a ipc 10.5.7 installation with dsdst on root, extra folder with uuid, com.apple.boot.plist, smbios.plist and extensions folder.

First i testet AsereBLN. I install 1.1.7 on my Snow HD. After reboot, my Bios has reset. After i set my Bios can´t start Snow or Leo. I start my backup hd via usb und the last Chameleon RC5+Prefpane. But no luck. Leo can´t start and reboot and reboot. The i install Chameleon RC3 + Netkas PC EFI v10.5 on my Snow hd. Now, Snow starts perfect, Win7 too but Leo reboots and reboots.... (show my pic). Leo loads until 1 line before see IOAPIC. but before IOAPIC loads, reboot my Leo hd.... sorry for my bad english... i hope, you understand me...

Then i have testet: Leo hd as first boot, Chameleon RC3+Netkas PC EFI v10.5 install on Leo hd. but the same results. reboot reboot....

Leo is a ipc 10.5.7 installation with dsdst on root, extra folder with uuid, com.apple.boot.plist, smbios.plist and extensions folder.

HAve you tried hard resetting CMOS (you can see how to do it in your mobo manuals)