Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Thanks for the heads up smith@@, I'll build it later :)

Good to see you're back on it Rekursor

Thanks, I implemented a new caching scheme that is much faster than any other booter algo. today :D

I also integrated latest pcefi 10.6 ati new frame buffers for 46xx and new 46xx models from netkas

(that's the only new thing for us in PCEFI10.6 as netkas also integrated our work for systemid and the hpet bug that we fixed quite some time ago.)

netkas, like us, respect the APSL license and we already all see now the benefits!

I also integrated new improvement from aserebln for nvidia ion gfx cards and its nvcap table manual override which is in short a way to provide more compatibility with the multiple dvi/vga/tv output of our cards while avoiding to load a full rom... it is experimental for now so use it at your own risk.

The idea is old and probably comes from this thread:

http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214

I have a hell of a development work in my real life, so this takes almost all of my time but anytime I have a break, I use it to continue this project, so stay tuned ;-)

Thanks, I implemented a new caching scheme that is much faster than any other booter algo. today ;)

Wow, sounds great. I look forward to trying it out later this evening.

I also integrated latest pcefi 10.6 ati new frame buffers for 46xx and new 46xx models from netkas

(that's the only new thing for us in PCEFI10.6 as netkas also integrated our work for systemid and the hpet bug that we fixed quite some time ago.)

netkas, like us, respect the APSL license and we already all see now the benefits!

I also integrated new improvement from aserebln for nvidia ion gfx cards and its nvcap table manual override..

It's good to know that both are keeping up to date with each other, while still developing other areas.

And well done for keeping in touch with Asere's developments too.

p.s. Asere started to add more source code in his public repository [for people who still think that he won't share all of it].

I guess you were already aware of this? but this is good news for the scene.

I have a hell of a development work in my real life, so this takes almost all of my time but anytime I have a break, I use it to continue this project, so stay tuned ;-)

Like most of us here, hackintosh is a hobby and real life comes first. We can wait patiently for the future donation of your time. ;)

Regards

The memory update from asere is mostly just new headers you need to implement the memory detection:

These are memory controller structures Type 5,6,16,17.

I now have downloaded the smbios 2.6 specifications, so if asere's continue to break the apsl license,

.. I will redevelop that as well, when I get more than an hour of spare time.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, let me introduce...

A fully working, Windows friendly, installer.

It installs Chameleon 2 RC5 pre8 and the preference pane 2.0.0 RC4 to your HDD or USB stick.

Advantages:

• Windows Vista/7 boot loader will no longer break.
  • Chameleon boot loader will start even if the Windows partition is the one set active. (fixes Windows sleep issue).
  • All the advantages of the new boot loader and prefpane.

============================================================================

I have just finished modifying blackosx's code as required, integrated it in my installer's script, installed it and Windows 7 still boots. :(:)

This is still experimental. Please use at your own risk, and report how it goes.

It's always recommended to have a Chameleon boot CD at hand.

I'll release it to beta testers here once I get the permission from blackosx. [Edit: Ooops, you've beat me to it. Thanks]

Was the modified boot0, which allows Chameleon to start without the OS X partition set active, been integrated into the trunk yet?

Edit: R2 contains a small cleanup.

Dr Hurt,

I was running Asure's RC4 v119 and decided to try your RC5 bootloader. Now, it's panicing during boot and actually shutting down my PC so quick I can't even tell what's wrong. I've tried booting with -x -v arguements (still shuts down quickly), and I've even tried booting with my boot USB drive, but I can't get back into my OS. Is there anything I can do to get back to RC4?

Dr Hurt,

I was running Asure's RC4 v119 and decided to try your RC5 bootloader. Now, it's panicing during boot and actually shutting down my PC so quick I can't even tell what's wrong. I've tried booting with -x -v arguements (still shuts down quickly), and I've even tried booting with my boot USB drive, but I can't get back into my OS. Is there anything I can do to get back to RC4?

Try booting up your HD from EmpireEFI, and then reinstall your old bootloader.

Dr Hurt,

Strange.

That sounds more like a bootloader or OS X issue than an installer issue. Use a Chameleon boot CD to get back to OS X and reinstall RC4.

... It's good to know that both are keeping up to date with each other, while still developing other areas. And well done for keeping in touch with Asere's developments too.

I guess you were already aware of this? but this is good news for the scene.

And now have a look at what I said here where I said: "Fear not because someone is going to setup a github account for another Chameleon fork yes." Remember?

And one of these days someone finally comes to the conclusion... that you don't have to add ACPI 1.0 tables for motherboards with ACPI 2.0 (and greater) which is what I said here on 20 December already. Just one example to speed up the boot process, but if people are not willing to listen and use them... well what can I say...

And now have a look at what I said here where I said: "Fear not because someone is going to setup a github account for another Chameleon fork yes." Remember?

And one of these days someone finally comes to the conclusion... that you don't have to add ACPI 1.0 tables for motherboards with ACPI 2.0 (and greater) which is what I said here on 20 December already. Just one example to speed up the boot process, but if people are not willing to listen and use them... well what can I say...

Hi Master Chief

Yes, you did say those things and were absolutely right. It's like you plant the seed of change and it slowly grows in to reality :D

Strange.

That sounds more like a bootloader or OS X issue than an installer issue. Use a Chameleon boot CD to get back to OS X and reinstall RC4.

Yeah, I don't know what happened for sure. I think the kernel got corrupted or something. I finally got back up, but it pretty much required a reinstall. On the plus side, Airport is now remembering my WPA2 credentials, which was driving me nuts before.

I may try to install RC5 again, but for sure I'm backing up the kernel, the S/L/E library, and my E/E library in case something goes screwy. I love the potential of RC5 and getting more stuff out of my E/E directory and have a quicker boot process, but I just need to learn to be more careful.... at least make a Time Machine backup first.

Will the final RC5 have an automatic Platform UUID detection?

Yes it has been integrated differently from other distrib but you also have it for quite some time now in the public repos. :unsure:

I don't publish a pre right now because there could be some regression and I want to check that more,

but many brave soldiers here already compiled the recent trunk modifications ...

@Chief, if you have any feedback about recent optimizations, please post them in the issues of the public repos site,

Our work is public and I'm not the only one that contribute to chameleon, so there is a chance that more than one dev would read your comment if it is posted on the public site...

Thanks!

I have try the last 10 minutes ago from repo obviously and it work without problem for me. Nothing problem, I'm very happy about the new optimizations. Top job rek :D

Thanks

Thanks a lot, but the truth is IMHO : TOP JOB to all chameleon contributors :angel:

(I think about Zef, netkas, asere, diebuche, MC and others) that all have recently directly or indirectly contributed to chameleon.)

(I think about Zef, netkas, asere, diebuche, MC and others) that all have recently directly or indirectly contributed to chameleon.)

This is obvious, but if i "talk" with you, i thank you. Anyway no prob, i've edit;)

I may try to install RC5 again, but for sure I'm backing up the kernel, the S/L/E library, and my E/E library in case something goes screwy. I love the potential of RC5 and getting more stuff out of my E/E directory and have a quicker boot process, but I just need to learn to be more careful.... at least make a Time Machine backup first.

I installed RC5 after carefully backing everything up, both manually and with Time Machine, and everything looks really good. I used the Chameleon RC5 pre 8 package, and then manually added the above .87 build. I still cannot get away without EvOreboot. Reboot just stalls without it.

The other thing is I am still having to manually create my smbios plist for my memory to show up correctly. Is anyone working on this particular issue? I know PC EFI 10.6 is said to render that plist obsolete.

One other side note, I love the Chameleon pref pane, although it displays RC4. To whomever is working on that pane, maybe it could sense what build is being used?

The other thing is I am still having to manually create my smbios plist for my memory to show up correctly. Is anyone working on this particular issue? I know PC EFI 10.6 is said to render that plist obsolete.

Long story, might be fixed later

One other side note, I love the Chameleon pref pane, although it displays RC4. To whomever is working on that pane, maybe it could sense what build is being used?

It's the version number of the pane :D

Long story, might be fixed later

I figured it was. I may have to install EFI 10.6 just to see what it brings up and manually replicate in the plist. Everything is so close, it's hard to leave well enough alone. :rolleyes:

It's the version number of the pane ;)

Okay, makes sense. Thought it was referring to the version of Chameleon installed. Still, great to have a pref pane for Chameleon that is being developed. Only thing like that I've seen is Lizard, and I don't think that is being developed any further. Is there a separate development track for the pane somewhere?

Rek, I have a question. Simply, with my Vaio i use a modded version of AppleSMBIOS because with the original version my "about this mac" crash. Ok, is there a way for fix this directly with the booter, so to use the original version can be possible?

Thanks for answer