Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Hi Rek,

I tried to compile Chameleon from your public tree, but it fails with like 20 errors in dsdt_patcher.c Do you perhaps have a better (read: working) version (of this specific file) or is this one you are still working on? All branches should compile, or not?

Also. I got my confirmation i.e. the new dsdt_patcher by Andy adds ~20KB (his boot2 is 174KB).

Another thing is that your latest work keep adding up too, so can we please talk about other options? Like using plists and/or pre-configured boot data i.e. move detection code to say your pref panel or a new tool, so that it won't have to run on every single boot?

Hi Rek,

I tried to compile Chameleon from your public tree, but it fails with like 20 errors in dsdt_patcher.c Do you perhaps have a better (read: working) version (of this specific file) or is this one you are still working on? All branches should compile, or not?

Also. I got my confirmation i.e. the new dsdt_patcher by Andy adds ~20KB (his boot2 is 174KB).

Another thing is that your latest work keep adding up too, so can we please talk about other options? Like using plists and/or pre-configured boot data i.e. move detection code to say your pref panel or a new tool, so that it won't have to run on every single boot?

My latest modifications are on the trunk MC, mostly because Zef wanted an RC5 release soon, I didn't use my branch anymore after my last merge these last days.

I am going to remove my branch that is obsolete now and recreate a new one...

Here this one should also give you your memory its name..

Memory Slots:

ECC:	Disabled

BANK0/SODIMM0:

Size:	2 GB
 Type:	DDR2 SDRAM
 Speed:	667 MHz
 Manufacturer:	Unifosa
 Part Number:	GU332G0AJEPR8H2L4CB
 Serial Number:	100000000

BANK1/SODIMM1:

Size:	2 GB
 Type:	DDR2 SDRAM
 Speed:	667 MHz
 Manufacturer:	Unifosa
 Part Number:	GU332G0AJEPR8H2L4CB
 Serial Number:	100000001

Top Job!

Thanks!

We usually discuss those kind of thing on irc with Zef, on irc.voodoprojects.org, so you're welcome to start discuss that there :)

My latest modifications are on the trunk MC, mostly because Zef wanted an RC5 release soon, I didn't use my branch anymore after my last merge these last days.

I am going to remove my branch that is obsolete now and recreate a new one...

Thanks. So trunk it is.

I compiled pre-RC5 and couldn't help noticing that RC5 will add ~36864 bytes. Pretty massive.

We usually discuss those kind of thing on irc with Zef, on irc.voodoprojects.org, so you're welcome to start discuss that there :)

Great. And at what times will you and the others be there?

Edit: I never used any IRC client on OS X so I am still wonder what I should use. Tips are welcome!

I had never tried until last week when I installed colloquy which I can recommended :)

Thanks. Bookmarked.

@Rek,

There is something weird going on because I cannot boot from my USB stick with the latest test versions. It simply reboots and won't even let me enter verbose mode. I won't even show the gray background and/or Apple logo.

Can people here still boot after removing dsdt.aml and/or com.apple.Boot.plist ?

There is something weird going on because I cannot boot from my USB stick with the latest test versions. It simply reboots and won't even let me enter verbose mode. I won't even show the gray background and/or Apple logo.

I have the same error (with dsdt.aml but without. c.a.B.p). Reboots and nothing more

And yes Colloquy is great...

Using pre10d, and booting from HDD, I can boot:

• without DSDT.aml

• without com.apple.Boot.plist

• without DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist

Thanks. Tried to boot from my hard drive now but still no dice.

I have the same error (with dsdt.aml but without. c.a.B.p). Reboots and nothing more

Right after the screen turns pitch black I presume? You do have /Extra/Extensions.mkext or not? I don't and that might explain my reboot. We should have warnings for when mandatory items are missing.

And yes Colloquy is great...

Thanks. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Have been following and testing everything so far and not had any issues up to r97 and have not provided feedback because plenty others were.

I did not try anything since then to till 10d. Now I find similar issues to MC & scrax the difference being I boot from EFI. First I just changed the boot file and got black screen with

Memory allocation error! Addr=0x0, Size=0x80, File=spd.c, Line=211.

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

So I started from scratch and did a clean EFI install now on boot just get black screen & flashing cursor. and same result

Update Ditto for 11d

Tried on my Advent 4211 (Wind Clone) and works ok from EFI but not reading memory properly. (r102 from Trunk + kernel & GMA patches)

post-170015-1266760331_thumb.png

So I started from scratch and did a clean EFI install now on boot just get black screen & flashing cursor.

Many BIOS versions don't execute the boot code in your MBR if there's no active partition set in the partition table. Try to flag your 0xEE partition. I would recommend to re-enable the verbose mode for boot0/boot1h :( It would help resolving such situations.

Right after the screen turns pitch black I presume? You do have /Extra/Extensions.mkext or not? I don't and that might explain my reboot. We should have warnings for when mandatory items are missing.

you are right, i don't have nothing more in /Extra than dsdt.aml and smbios.plist and a Theme folder with "Nice" theme renamed "Default"

In my smbios i keep only this key: SMbiosversion, SMmanufacter, SMproductname, SMsystemversion, SMserial because default value are wrong for my config. I'm waiting the RC5 final to add my value to the default one and get rid of smbios at all.

@rekursor:

All goes fine on the desktop using P5K-E mobo (ICH9R), but still get the "... gathering this information" error on my Acer notebook in sysprofiler with all trunk revs since r90 with 10.5.8.

Before r90, the bank layout and and memory size/type was reported correctly on all setup.

Great work gentlemans, thanks a lot to all the dev team!

I just tried one of the last compiled versions posted here, and I got the same error as DB1 at boot:

Memory allocation error! Addr=0x0, Size=0x80, File=spd.c, Line=211.

I tried the pre11b; first just updated the /boot file (from pre7 version), then used a pre9 installer (post #753) and replaced again the /boot file with pre11b version, no dice. Pre9 boot file works fine though (booting from /Extra folder located at the OS partition). Note I have the same board as DB1 and almost the same DSDT.aml file

@rekursor:

All goes fine on the desktop using P5K-E mobo (ICH9R), but still get the "... gathering this information" error on my Acer notebook in sysprofiler with all trunk revs since r90 with 10.5.8.

Before r90, the bank layout and and memory size/type was reported correctly on all setup.

I also had the same problem with my EP45DS3L with 10.5.8 and then discovered this pb was not new, have a search here to AppleSMBIOS27 and error gathering, iGuru and netkas also seemed to deal with that pb when they started to fill the memory information.

I think we have to go further and understand why we all have/had this problem but for now I found a fix on 10.5.8 that solved my problem:

I use the Hardware profiler fix from:

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/10.5.8_Thireus_Fixes_3.5.zip

@DB1 thanks for this important report, thanks to you I isolated the problem (prob. not related to the malloc in itsellf but to a side effect...)

I'm on it

@MC, you are absolutely right, we waste space, and I will care about that soon (an obvious example is the Platform related memory structures we inherited from the latest asere mods with i.e 64x2x12 string byte alloc when we obviously know that only 2x2*16 bytes avg will be stored, we need dynamic alloc here :) )

With Pre10d build Time Machine complained about "previous backup being done on a different machine" + some apps whose registration was hardware based (not UUID based only) stopped working... Has any of you experienced a similar problem?

Memory was detected properly (4x2GB DDR3 1333).

Thanks a lot for your great work!!!

Here's a boot version that is much more constrained in the mem detection code and smbios code (more error checking) and also waste less memory,

please DB1 or other : report if some of you still have a malloc() error.

RC5pre11e.tar.gz

With this I get both slots detected, but serial is incorrect (Serial Number: e&Q[). Previous version was working fine. Also, the boot loader has gotten very slow since memory detection was introduced. I get a blinking cursor that lasts for a few seconds before the white boot screen.

Still get this with pre11e:

Memory allocation error! Addr=0x0, Size=0x10, File=string.c, Line=246.

Is not the same error as DB1 had

This can be caused by 'strdup' in these lines:

slot->PartNo = strdup(getDDRPartNum(slot->spd) );
		slot->Vendor = strdup(getVendorName(slot) );
		slot->SerialNo = strdup(getDDRSerial(slot->spd));

@Rek,

Would you mind using something like: if (spd[2] == MEM_TYPE_DDR3) instead of: if (spd[2]==0x0b) // DDR3

Saving you the comments and my old head a headache reading it. Thanks.

Here's a boot version that is much more constrained in the mem detection code and smbios code (more error checking) and also waste less memory,

please DB1 or other : report if some of you still have a malloc() error.

RC5pre11e.tar.gz

Same exact error message as BlackCH

Memory allocation error! Addr=0x0, Size=0x10, File=string.c, Line=246.