[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Now, here's my question:

If removing the current (albeit, incorrect) UUID from smbios.plist will allow the correct UUID to appear, why isn't the smbios.plist retrieving it this way? Basically, you appear to be saying we really don't need that Platform UUID there, as it can be retrieved from hardware anyway, where ever that is.

But, I don't think there is one for hackintoshes. It seems to me that the hardware or platform UUID is planted in EFI firmware by Apple. So, we need to create and settle on a never changing platform UUID for use in the smbios.plist.

This will give me something to research and think about.

MAJ

This might not answer all your questions, but hopefully it will help out.

1) I do not use SMUUID in smbios.plist. It never really never worked for me. If it did work, we wouldn't need UUID.kext (or PlatformUUID.kext). I personally feel it's best to leave this blank. Actually I remove the entire key and string.

2) Since hacintoshes don't have real EFI firmware, we have to rely on UUID.kext to provide a hardware ID for our units. As we all know, this is stored in the info.plist for the kext. Without this kext, you get UUID error 35 as well as preference files with No_Host_ID in the name.

3) The hardware UUID is basically a very large random number. I used UUIDGenerator to make one up. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it never changes for the life of the machine. Actually, hacintoshes have an extra advantage. Unlike a mac with efi in firmware, we can take our hardware id (and serial number for that matter) with us over to our next hac.

4) I concatenate my MAC address (upper case with ":"s removed) to the end of my hardware UUID. This is optional. Both forms are acceptable. You will need to be able to recognize and handle both formats.

I don't really have an idea of the best way to implement this. You could add UUIDGenerator functionality to the script and have the user keep their current UUID from their UUID.kext or generate a new one and insert it back into the kext. Or maybe it's better just to leave the whole thing alone and have users manage their own host UUID. That's essentially what I've been doing. I don't really have any strong feelings either way as long as it is clear to the user what is going on.

I really love the new EFI partition installation feature. It really stream lines the whole process. It's quite a serious improvement. Thank you for the great work.

On my Hackintosh I have used the RealtekR1000 kext with the bonjour work around but it is really only working half way. I can see my SMB shares in finder but not AFP Shares. In order for them to work I have to put in their IPs and then they will work. On the real macs I have they dont even see my Hackintosh.

Anybody know what is going on??? Or How to fix it??

Thanks

"Install from your Retail DVD and, immediately following that, the lastest combo updater, if needed. (There is NO need to boot into your new install first, before installing the combo updater.)"

I am using a 10.5 system, and installed 10.6 onto a second hard disk. When I try to immediately run the 10.6.1 combo (delta?) updater, it says "You're not on 10.6" (since I'm still booted on my original 10.5 from which I'm running the DD script). Not a huge deal, just thought I'd mention it, apologies if its already been posted.

Im trying this guide for my i5 and Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, i got the iAtkos V7 to work, I went straigth for this guide as I could do all installs from 10.5.7, everything have worked great, but.... when I come to this part:

enter Single-User mode with the -s flag at the boot prompt. After a bit of scrolling logs, you will reach the command prompt.

I get alot of log scrolling after i did -s in Chameleons boot promt and at the end of all text the comp just restarts, I never get to the promt where I can write in:

Type: /sbin/mount -uw / followed by the return key. This mounts the startup volume with read/write access.

Type: buildcache followed by the return key. This will execute a shell script to build the boot cache for the Extra or EFI directory, plus the /System/Caches/.../Startup directory.

When script finishes, type reboot followed by the return key.

Something Strange is going on ..

Installed SL from an working 10.5.8 everthing Default ...

Rebuilt Cache (buildcache) in Single-User Mode.

Everthing is OK exept no Sound ...

And now the strange thing:

When i start the script in SnowLeo und change nothing !!!!!! I only start and quit the script !!

--- Reboot the boot process stalls ...

restore the Extra/Extensions.mkext from the Backup which is created by the script and the Machine boots.

the Backup and the Extra/Extensions.mkext have the same Filesize and everthing absolute identical ....

but i won't boot with the copied Version ..

Any Solutions ?

Something Strange is going on ..

Installed SL from an working 10.5.8 everthing Default ...

Rebuilt Cache (buildcache) in Single-User Mode.

Everthing is OK exept no Sound ...

And now the strange thing:

When i start the script in SnowLeo und change nothing !!!!!! I only start and quit the script !!

--- Reboot the boot process stalls ...

restore the Extra/Extensions.mkext from the Backup which is created by the script and the Machine boots.

the Backup and the Extra/Extensions.mkext have the same Filesize and everthing absolute identical ....

but i won't boot with the copied Version ..

Any Solutions ?

I will suggest a clean fresh install and be sure you move the sound and network kexts to System, build the cache like u did before and be sure to boot with arch=i386 at the chameleon boot loader

good luck

I am up and running. Thanks! I think part of my problem was mixing and matching boot loaders. This machine is all hot swap though, so that made it easy to just physically pull the drives I didn't want booting.

For some reason the original -s boot ran through to the Apple setup screens. But I was able to get through before any KP and then run the POST_INSTALLATION. After that I installed the 10.6.1 "Combo" Update. Only one strange thing...

My boot volume is not visible on the desktop. And the DD script sometimes tells me "Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive." Any ideas? Maybe I should try 3. Set partition as active.

EDIT: nope, no luck. Also iTunes says I should update to 9.0, but Software Update doesn't want to provide it.

I am up and running. Thanks! I think part of my problem was mixing and matching boot loaders. This machine is all hot swap though, so that made it easy to just physically pull the drives I didn't want booting.

For some reason the original -s boot ran through to the Apple setup screens. But I was able to get through before any KP and then run the POST_INSTALLATION. After that I installed the 10.6.1 "Combo" Update. Only one strange thing...

My boot volume is not visible on the desktop. And the DD script sometimes tells me "Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive." Any ideas? Maybe I should try 3. Set partition as active.

EDIT: nope, no luck. Also iTunes says I should update to 9.0, but Software Update doesn't want to provide it.

I dont think setting partition as active has anything to do with the drive being visible on the desktop. You can open the finder preferences and check if the hard disk drives is checked in the generals tab.

Something might have gone wrong somewhere because booting in single user mode shouldnt go through the setup screens. If u r still having problems, I will suggest a reinstallation and if you can, completely avoid the post installation steps.

Cheers

<UUID suggestions>

Thanks for that, FUT1L1TY.

I think I'll probe for the existence of the UUIDs and, if present, leave them alone. If not present, I'll just use the Terminal command, "uuidgen," to create one. "uuid_generate" does the same thing, but dumps to memory, not stdout.

"Install from your Retail DVD and, immediately following that, the lastest combo updater, if needed. (There is NO need to boot into your new install first, before installing the combo updater.)"

I am using a 10.5 system, and installed 10.6 onto a second hard disk. When I try to immediately run the 10.6.1 combo (delta?) updater, it says "You're not on 10.6" (since I'm still booted on my original 10.5 from which I'm running the DD script). Not a huge deal, just thought I'd mention it, apologies if its already been posted.

Hmmm. That's a left-over from Leopard and I had forgotten about the inability to install SL updates from Leopard. So, I'll leave that out. Users will just need to apply updates in SL.

Im trying this guide for my i5 and Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, i got the iAtkos V7 to work, I went straigth for this guide as I could do all installs from 10.5.7, everything have worked great, but.... when I come to this part:

I get alot of log scrolling after i did -s in Chameleons boot promt and at the end of all text the comp just restarts, I never get to the promt where I can write in:

I have a friend who has gotten a P55 system going, so I know it can work. We'll need a bit more information from you. Perhaps a copy of the kernel.log from /var/log/kernel.log would help.

If you have more than one installation on the system, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from that new drive and that the partition is set active. Otherwise, the bootloader may load the kexts from a different install, even if you choose the proper one in the bootloader screen.

Don't see how the Single-User mode got by-passed. The flag was obviously ignored.

RE: Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive.

Would you post the results of "diskutil list" in the Terminal with the code tags applied, so the formatting is retained? I'd need to see what the script is seeing or not seeing.

What do you mean by "sometimes?" Under what conditions does it work and not work?

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for that, FUT1L1TY.

I think I'll probe for the existence of the UUIDs and, if present, leave them alone. If not present, I'll just use the Terminal command, "uuidgen," to create one. "uuid_generate" does the same thing, but dumps to memory, not stdout.

According to the chameleon developers, and from looking at an Apple hardware MacPro, it's supposed to be derived from the MAC address.

You see the following in System Profiler;

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0024XXXXXXXX

The last part is my GA-EX58 en0 interface's MAC after editing PlatformUUID.kext.

Using PlatformUUID.kext also allows the screensaver to lock without having to logout and login again after boot.

On a slower laptop I don't need this kext for that, so it may be a timing issue on the GA-EX58.

another success-story here!

after trying for months to get my Sapphire 4870 2 GB (HDMI, DVI and VGA --> non-reference) under 10.5.7/8 to work with ATY_init, natit, ... I'm now with SL and EVOenabler and everything's fine!

audio and network fine with 32bit but problems with sleep: my monitor doesn't wake up - but I think that's graphics-related because the pc wakes up normal. will wait for solutions :)

but there's a problem with disk utility: "Disk Utility quit unexpectedly". has anyone this problem as well? is it possible that's only after the installation of BSD.pkg from the SL disc?

and another issue: System Profiler shows "Bus Speed: 533 MHz"

shouldn't it be more?

thanks!

According to the chameleon developers, and from looking at an Apple hardware MacPro, it's supposed to be derived from the MAC address.

You see the following in System Profiler;

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0024XXXXXXXX

The last part is my GA-EX58 en0 interface's MAC after editing PlatformUUID.kext.

Using PlatformUUID.kext also allows the screensaver to lock without having to logout and login again after boot.

On a slower laptop I don't need this kext for that, so it may be a timing issue on the GA-EX58.

That's not necessarily true. Your MAC address can be in the UUID but it is not required. The hardware UUID is essentially a very large random number. You can make it up if you want to as long as you follow the 8-4-4-4-12 pattern.

I forget what thread it was but it was suggested that you append your mac address to your UUID in info.plist. That is what i do. Mine looks like this:

CC7C1DF3-E43A-5FD8-B074-137F010E5A86-001EC2B8C466

even though System Profiler will display this:

CC7C1DF3-E43A-5FD8-B074-137F010E5A86

(note: not my actual UUID and MAC address)

That's not necessarily true. Your MAC address can be in the UUID but it is not required. The hardware UUID is essentially a very large random number. You can make it up if you want to as long as you follow the 8-4-4-4-12 pattern.
Look at an Apple hardware machine, it uses the MAC address as the last twelve alphanumerics of the 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0024XXXXXXXX format. Why use anything else for your Hack if this is what a Mac uses?

RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR SNOW LEOPARD:

(If you follow these steps here, you can avoid all of the Post-Installation steps! Additionally, some graphics-related kexts require inclusion in the boot cache, otherwise you may experience a black screen or corrupted video on boot.)

If you are booting into Snow Leopard for the first time from Leopard (or any time you have updated the kexts for Snow Leopard from a Leopard install), enter Single-User mode with the -s flag at the boot prompt. After a bit of scrolling logs, you will reach the command prompt.

Type: /sbin/mount -uw / followed by the return key. This mounts the startup volume with read/write access.

Type: buildcache followed by the return key. This will execute a shell script to build the boot cache for the Extra or EFI directory, plus the /System/Caches/.../Startup directory.

When script finishes, type reboot followed by the return key.

(If, on occasion, the system log continues writing while you are typing, just ignore it and continue typing as if it didn't happen or you can hit "Enter" and try again.)

Hello MAY, 

my friend sent me a link to the script made by apocolipse. Link HERE.

Looking in the manual kextcache (10.5):

-a arch Include in an mkext archive only kexts whose executable files contain code for the given arch, stripping the binaries before inclusion.

If multiple -a options are used, a multi-architecture file will be created containing an embedded mkext archive for each of the specified architectures.

We can build kextcache for snow at 10.5

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -a i386 -a x86_64 -m "/Volumes/{target drive}/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext" "/Volumes/{target drive}/System/Library/Extensions" "/Volumes/{target drive}/Extra/Stored_Kexts"

I am not sure, but if so, in the next version of your script will no need to boot in single user mode for build kext cache...

Am I right?

This posting is regarding some questions above and the fact that I placed most of the kexts in the System folder.

First here the config with the script, which is attached.

As bootloader, I use PCEFI 10.2

With this config, I got all working including sleep, not sure thought if Bonjour is working because I do not use it.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mike

Hmm... I don't have fakesmc.kext – you think that could be it?

How do I install just one kext – can I just drip it into /System/Extension and then update the boot caches? What about permissions?

Another question: a friend is using these kexts and he say's things are working fine (not sure about Bonjour, though, which seems fine for me currently):

VoodooHDA.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

dsmos.kext

Disabler.kext

What do you think of trying to use these kexts?

I think he has a slightly different mobo, though (DS4 I think).

Only some macs use that format. Not all.

Agreed.

From what I understand any link to a NIC Mac in the HW UUID was pre leopard and efi at that time

If a macintosh had been upgraded from tiger or was pre leopard when new it may retain the UUID format that included the en0 mac address.

I think the point here is as long as you have the UUID set in a uniform was throughout your installations there shouldn't be big issue.

Helpful command for UUID

ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice

Nice post!

I currently have this mobo and I want to it out. I am going to try it on a spare drive that I have first. I have a couple questions for you though before I make the leap. I have 4 drives in raid10 and then two ssd (30GB vertexes in raid 0) on my ICH10. Have you tried running with raid enabled at all? :) I know that the raid drivers need to be installed when the os is installed. Thanks!

Nice post!

I currently have this mobo and I want to it out. I am going to try it on a spare drive that I have first. I have a couple questions for you though before I make the leap. I have 4 drives in raid10 and then two ssd (30GB vertexes in raid 0) on my ICH10. Have you tried running with raid enabled at all? ;) I know that the raid drivers need to be installed when the os is installed. Thanks!

As far as I'm aware hardware RAID can't be run without buying an additional (compatible) RAID controller. I couldn't get ICH10 RAID 0 to be recognised by OS X and although JMicron RAID appeared to work I was informed that it was functioning as a JBoD rather than RAID 0. I've done some tests and this is indeed true.

How do I install just one kext " can I just drip it into /System/Extension and then update the boot caches? What about permissions?

Run the D_D script 4.02 just to rebuild caches ! S/L/E and /Extra/Stored_Kexts

;)

or this

To install "one" kext in S/L/E and mounted in SL you can use this:

Kext Utility 2.3.2

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

The whole Bonjour problem seems a bit odd to me.

On one hand, I can use connect to my i7 machine, share screen, and see i7's shared iTunes library on both my Macbook and Mini 9 (both running 10.6.1) when I first boot, but the functionality disappears a few minutes later. The i7 machine, on the other hand, will at no point will see my Macbook, Mini 9, or AppleTV.

I tried to the method Dith detailed a couple of pages back, but don't think I did it properly as promisc is not listed when I run ifconfig. I will play with it more.

Why can I see the i7 machine for a while on the other machines, but then lose her a few minutes later?

LocusOfControl, you mention that everything works properly on your system but that your installation method differs than most. In what way is your install different?

I just want to watch Sanjuro without unboxing all my DVDs ;) In the mean time, I guess I will connect the Drobo to my Macbook and stream off of it.

Hi Narayana

"LocusOfControl, you mention that everything works properly on your system but that your installation method differs than most. In what way is your install different?"

When SL came out folk were using various scripts and usb images to do the install, I didn't have a large enough

usb stick and the scripted methods didn't work for me (I was running from a 500gb Leopard disk onto a 1TB blank

disk for SL).

In the end I just decided why not just install from the dvd which I did using the OS installer pkg. I notice on google

others now advocate this. (did you install the ipod package? brings to mind bonjour)

installed chameleon 2 rc 2 - kernel panic, swapped for rc 3 good. worked perfectly from 2nd boot (disagreeable kext

removed)

Didn't have any kernel panics or probs with spotlight - no post config done with caches etc. No panics so far.

Ethernet worked out of the box, but couldn't see timemachine, could see IPOD, stuck in the Realtek kext and

timemachine works, apple tv works on itunes 9.0 etc - nothing else to do (no promiscuous stuff). My bonjour

processes seem to be launched by launchd at boot (you could configure this yourself I guess)

I was originally running the UUID kext without bothering to check contents , I have my boot disk uuid in boot.plist

and smbios and now have it in the UUID kext) - everything shows up consistently now in profiler, ~/Library/Preferences

/ByHost etc (by the way, have you checked your installer.app recently - google installer.app and snow leopard).

Mine was working, then broke, just fixed it last night - seems an issue on real macs - related to the itunes 9.0 issues)

Apart from the installer.app problem (which I suspect is a SL bug) I've had no problems at all

(I don't get the error 35 either, showed up in java development consoles. I had it on Leopard until I installed the

UUID kext)

By the way, system profiler always mis read my 12gb RAM, updating to bios f9 fixed that and all 12gb shows up

correctly.

regards

steve