[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

How do you check if you have QE / CI enabled? osx86tools doesn't work to enable it.

i dont have iwork 09 =(

Supposidly the easy way is to see if you get the splash effect in dashboard when you drop a new

widget on the screen, translucent menu bar etc.

There are some quartz express/ ci tools in the developer folder to play with. (easy to build

your own linux style beryl screen saver in 5 mins - pretty cool). fast account switching uses

QE/CI I believe (rotating cube)

You could download some opengl bench marks such as geekbench, xbench etc

Your could download an opengl util such as opengl extensions viewer

With iWork 09 all your text will be white on white without it (changing colour doesn't fix it)

here are my scores - probably could be a lot better I'm sure! (worse in SL)

steve

post-383752-1253196833_thumb.png

Supposidly the easy way is to see if you get the splash effect in dashboard when you drop a new

widget on the screen, translucent menu bar etc.

There are some quartz express/ ci tools in the developer folder to play with. (easy to build

your own linux style beryl screen saver in 5 mins - pretty cool). fast account switching uses

QE/CI I believe (rotating cube)

You could download some opengl bench marks such as geekbench, xbench etc

Your could download an opengl util such as opengl extensions viewer

With iWork 09 all your text will be white on white without it (changing colour doesn't fix it)

here are my scores - probably could be a lot better I'm sure! (worse in SL)

steve

thanks, looks like i have qe/ci enabled. my tests are worse then yours tho =(

also upgraded to 10.6.1 thru software update, no issues at all.

post-351206-1253198194_thumb.png

bbchucks, if you choose 1600x1200x32 as LocusOfControl, your results will be better :P

and: i have to ask again:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
 Model Identifier:	MacPro4,1
 Processor Speed:	2,7 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	4
 L2 Cache (per core):	256 KB
 L3 Cache:	8 MB
 Memory:	6 GB
[b]  Bus Speed:	533 MHz[/b]

is the bus speed showed correctly? seems to be low...

bbchucks, if you choose 1600x1200x32 as LocusOfControl, your results will be better ;)

is the bus speed showed correctly? seems to be low...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
 Model Identifier:	MacPro4,1
 Processor Speed:	2.67 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	4
 L2 Cache (per core):	256 KB
 L3 Cache:	8 MB
 Memory:	12 GB
 Bus Speed:	1.07 GHz
 Boot ROM Version:	MP31.00C1.B00
 SMC Version (system):	1.30f3

Which is approximately what I see at boot with mem multiplier set to 6 and 12gb

I have (only) one problem with my install:

I cannot get rid of the Spotiify index freeze.

sudo mdutil -a -i off

Saves me, but...

I have rebuilt cache in single user mode, repaired permissions on my system partition... Come to think of it, it may be my other Leopard install that {censored} things up. Will try to repair that one, too.

Open to suggestions.

RE: Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive.

Would you post the results of "diskutil list" in the Terminal with the code tags applied, so the formatting is retained? I'd need to see what the script is seeing or not seeing.

What do you mean by "sometimes?" Under what conditions does it work and not work?

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*64.0 GB	disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS SL60					63.7 GB	disk0s2

When I said "sometimes" I made a poor word choice. A better way to say it is, "the times I select option 6 'Update boot caches' every time the script prints "Boot caches have been updated!Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive!" after it finishes updating the caches.

I'm not sure why Finder Preferences, General had show hard disks unchecked, but that fixed my problem. I'm not sure why iTunes 9 won't automatically load up in Software Update but there's a workaround to just DL it.

Really so far I just have minor issues but it seems its helpful to share them so the script can be perfected. Just to say it again MAJ your script is much appreciated.

Now that I've realised JMicron Hardware RAID 0 doesn't function as a RAID 0 I'm working on setting up a software RAID as 10.6.1 Boot Disk. I've got those files for you DD. I'm gonna try get it up and running soon rather than waiting for you to build it into the script so hopefully (if I'm lucky) those files won't be needed to help me but you can get the RAID support for other people.

disk_list.txt

RAID_list.txt

DVD Player is not installed during Snow Leopard clean installation.

I think this is a common problem with installs on non-Apple hardware. This is pure guesswork on my part, but I think the primary installer bundle checks for supported DVD-playing hardware and only executes the player install on a hit. In my case, the LG BR/DVDR drive must not have produced the hit:

HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L:

Firmware Revision: 1.03

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

The fix is simple, and I'd wager could be easily built into DD's script:

Insert or mount your SL installer. In the Finder hit CMD-SHIFT-G. Enter:

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

Launch DVDPlayer.pkg - everyone should be able to figure it out from here.

Regards.

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*64.0 GB	disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS SL60					63.7 GB	disk0s2

When I said "sometimes" I made a poor word choice. A better way to say it is, "the times I select option 6 'Update boot caches' every time the script prints "Boot caches have been updated!Saved selection does not appear to be a valid drive!" after it finishes updating the caches.

I'm not sure why Finder Preferences, General had show hard disks unchecked, but that fixed my problem. I'm not sure why iTunes 9 won't automatically load up in Software Update but there's a workaround to just DL it.

Really so far I just have minor issues but it seems its helpful to share them so the script can be perfected. Just to say it again MAJ your script is much appreciated.

I understand, now. I ran into that bug last night and it's been fixed. Thanks for that.

I might also set up the installer to change the preferences to have drives visible on desktop by default. Don't know why Apple had that turned off.

Now that I've realised JMicron Hardware RAID 0 doesn't function as a RAID 0 I'm working on setting up a software RAID as 10.6.1 Boot Disk. I've got those files for you DD. I'm gonna try get it up and running soon rather than waiting for you to build it into the script so hopefully (if I'm lucky) those files won't be needed to help me but you can get the RAID support for other people.

Cool. Thanks for that. That will help tremendously.

For any of you who are running more than one RAID set, I'm also curious about how the multiple RAID sets in 'RAIDlist' is presented.

DVD Player is not installed during Snow Leopard clean installation.

I think this is a common problem with installs on non-Apple hardware. This is pure guesswork on my part, but I think the primary installer bundle checks for supported DVD-playing hardware and only executes the player install on a hit. In my case, the LG BR/DVDR drive must not have produced the hit:

HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L:

Firmware Revision: 1.03

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

The fix is simple, and I'd wager could be easily built into DD's script:

Insert or mount your SL installer. In the Finder hit CMD-SHIFT-G. Enter:

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

Launch DVDPlayer.pkg - everyone should be able to figure it out from here.

Regards.

Interesting. I never even checked to see if my DVDplayer was even installed.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm seriously trying to work out the bugs in the EFI boot setup where the EFI partition automounts on startup. Client node files/mountpoints appear on the desktop, too. EFI partition starts appearing as a regular partition - visible in Disk Utility, too.

Others have mentioned and now, suddenly, I'm dealing with it. So, hope to have a solution soon.

regards,

MAJ

Some observations after installing SL on two Gigabyte P45 boards and one G31M (hope to get to the X58 board this afternoon or early next week): Basically, SnowKitty does not 'like' being installed from 10.5. I have installed several times on those three boards and each time their is a 'glitch' somewhere. Evertime I have installed all the supposed to be hidden files are visible and the spacing between file icon and file name is strange - not the expected spacing. If one opens disk utility, selects the SnowLeopard HD and clicks 'verify permissions', one will usually get a "no install pkg found" error.

As Blackosx alludes to in his thread on the P45, 10.6 needs to be installed from a 10.6 install. He accomplishes this either using a 10.6 bootCD or a 10.6 USB boot. His third install method is via the "OSInstall.pkg" which he indicates is a problematical install method and prone to errors. What I have found is that the OSInstall.pkg install method is not the problem - installing from 10.5 is the issue. The major problem with the USB or CD boot that Blackosx uses is modifying the DSDT to prevent the CMOS reset.

What I have done is use DDs script and actually install twice (or three times). Starting with a working 10.5.x, I run DD's script and install to HD1 and boot HD1 (using single mode and "buildcache"). Once I have HD1 booted, I run the script again installing to HD2 and then booting into HD2. On HD2 'hidden files' are not seen, whereas on HD1 the 'hidden files' are visible. Premissions also works correctly on HD2.

What I have used to date for HD2 is an external drive connected via USB. This makes for a very slow install and boot on that drive. However, once booted into HD2, I erase HD1 and use the script again to install on HD1. It would be much faster to have all three HDs connected to SATA ports or erase the 10.5.x install and use that HD form the final 10.6 install.

Bottom line: there are problems installing 10.6 from 10.5.

Hi,

Could you post your updated script? Because I'm also having the same problem and because of it, the script can't set my UUID, which in return causes my MobileMe not to be working I think.

Thanks!!! Amazing script!

I understand, now. I ran into that bug last night and it's been fixed. Thanks for that.

Hi

Just to test a theory and backup I created a vanilla reference 10.6.0 on my other hard drive.

Installed directly from dvd in SL 10.6.1 and created Chameleon RC3 EFI partition

put the following in /EFI/Extra/Extensions

fakesmc.kext, sleepenabler.kext, openhaltrestart.kext, nullcpumanagement.kext, platformuuid.kext, alc889a.fix.kext

Used 10.6.1 DSDT, smbios.plist, and boot.plist (modified for different UUID)

I found that I was getting a hang at the sound assertions just before graphics.

ran netkas enabler for nvidia and multiple ati cards (I'm not using any efi strings)

(I'm using a red powercolor radeon hd 4870 1 gb)

This fixed the problem and went through the set up intro video but this time with sound (didn't have that first time)

At the moment there is no ethernet since I haven't installed the Realtek kext

Bonjour works at boot via launchd daemon as demonstrated by itunes - itouch synch and ps -ef

Time capsule not detected (obviously - connection is ethernet)

Spotlight works fine and no kernel panic, ran opengl extensions viewer - same scores as 10.6.1

noted that the bios does occasionally get confused when switching often between main boot drive and

resetting after panics during initial setup (disk 0 & 1 get reversed even after resetting the bios)

regards

Steve

Hi,

Could you post your updated script? Because I'm also having the same problem and because of it, the script can't set my UUID, which in return causes my MobileMe not to be working I think.

Thanks!!! Amazing script!

Just for the record MobileMe doesn't work for me on SL. After an initial successful sync, easch subsequent reboot show Never Synchronized and then fails to sync.

Interesting. I never even checked to see if my DVDplayer was even installed.

Thanks for the tip.

MAJ

I never had a problem with the dvdplayer.

He's got a Blu-Ray player. Perhaps it is the source of his problem

noted that the bios does occasionally get confused when switching often between main boot drive and

resetting after panics during initial setup (disk 0 & 1 get reversed even after resetting the bios)

regards

Steve

Actually with certain KPs my bios resets back to defaults. i was messing around with my other HD which had SL installed and everytime i get a Kernel Panic, my bios went and resetted itself. other times, the USB broke..i had to unplug and replug to a different port.

I tried with the correct UUID in place and MobileMe worked like a charm, so I think fixing MobileMe is just a matter of fixing the script to properly insert it in the 2 files in question.

Just for the record MobileMe doesn't work for me on SL. After an initial successful sync, easch subsequent reboot show Never Synchronized and then fails to sync.

D_D: Your work is pure art - like a picture of apples in a bowl - you eat them!!

Can you give me instructions how I can get the onboard firewire working correctly? Ive killed AppleHPET btw already.

Im still getting the warning in system profile. I hope its nothing to do with a 4ghz overclock of the 266 i7!

Also - anyone got a 285 GTX gfx card ASUS working correctly? ie Always booting up in 1680 res would be nice on the DVI port furthest away from mobo. I can swap ports after boot and it finds the correct display res... but its a royal pain. Should I kill ATY kext?

FYI

SATADrives: Windows 7 drive on GSATA (JMICRON) ports (AHCI drivers get auto installed by win7) bootable off chameleon (choose MAc or Win7) and they appear readable as NTFS Read only on OSX desktop - NICE!!

Has anyone got a hardware Raid 0 to work with snow leopard? I currently have two disks I run in Raid 0 and 4 that I run in raid 10 on my ICH10R.

I found this post:

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/05/ich10r-in-...leopard-part-2/

But then he says, "You might even be able to install Snow Leopard to a HARDWARE RAID volume...but I haven't tested this yet."

So it sounds like he can get os x to recognize a hard ware raid volume? Has anyone else reported this success or been able to install directly to a hardware raid 0?

Thanks!

Has anyone got a hardware Raid 0 to work with snow leopard? I currently have two disks I run in Raid 0 and 4 that I run in raid 10 on my ICH10R.

I found this post:

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/05/ich10r-in-...leopard-part-2/

But then he says, "You might even be able to install Snow Leopard to a HARDWARE RAID volume...but I haven't tested this yet."

So it sounds like he can get os x to recognize a hard ware raid volume? Has anyone else reported this success or been able to install directly to a hardware raid 0?

Thanks!

I have a RAID 0, made bij os x so he recognizes it, but i don't know if you could boot from it, because i only use it for my time machine backups...

I just finished loading SL on my X58-UD3R board using DD's script. The only kext change was to use IOFamily networking in S/L/E. I use an EFI string for the Nvidia 9500GT. I have found no audio kexts that will work - using a USB audio card for now.

I started with a working 10.5.7 install and added two HDs. I loaded 10.6 to HD1 while booted in 10.5.7. I then booted into 10.6 on HD1 and loaded 10.6 on HD2. On HD1 the 'hidden' files were visible, on HD2 they were truly hidden. I then reformatted HD1 and loaded 10.6 whole booted into HD2. I then updated both installs to 10.6.1.

MAJ I hope you don't mind but I wrote something for the Bonjour Fix. I also created a Startupitem for it.

EDIT: This post is a contribution to Digital_Dreamers script. If you want the easy way to solve the bonjour problem read this post.

Once again I based it off your code. I'm sure it's a bit crude but I've tested it and it works.

bonjour(){
echo -e "\n$SUB   Fixing Bonjour   $SUB\n" >> "$LOG"
splash
echo -e "${bold}${yellow}${rev} NOTE: ${plain}${yellow}\nThis will install a new StartupItem to: ${bold}$TARGET_DRIVE_NAME - Disk$IDNTFR.${plain}${yellow}\nThe item will be placed in /System/Library/StartupItems/\n${plain}${green}\nThis StartupItem will apply a fix to en0 at every boot.\nAfter pressing Y Bonjour should be fully functional.\n"
QSTN="${cyan}${bold}Y for installation, N for removal and E for Exit.${plain}"; prompt_dy
if [ $RESPONSE == 0 ];then
echo -e "\nRemoving Bonjour Fix." >> "$LOG"
MSSG="${yellow}Bonjour Fix Removed.${plain}"
rm -v /Extra/bin/ifconfig >> "$LOG" 2>&1
rm -vrf /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix >> "$LOG" 2>&1
return;
fi
echo -e "\nInstalling Bonjour Fix." >> "$LOG"
cd "$SCRPT_PTH/~extra/Bonjour"
mkdir /Extra/bin >> "$LOG" 2>&1
cp -vf ifconfig /Extra/bin/ >> "$LOG" 2>&1
cp -vrf BonjourFix /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/ >> "$LOG" 2>&1
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix start >> "$LOG" 2>&1
}

The attached zipfile contains the necessary files for the script. This would probably be resolved in the driver sooner or later but just in case :P

Files go in ~extra/Bonjour, script creates a /Extra/bin directory. I thought it might be useful in the future if more utilities are being added instead of creating a separate directory for each executable.

Log output:

<==================>   Fixing Bonjour   <==================>

Removing Bonjour Fix.
/Extra/bin/ifconfig
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix

<==================>   Fixing Bonjour   <==================>

Installing Bonjour Fix.
mkdir: /Extra/bin: File exists
ifconfig -> /Extra/bin/ifconfig
BonjourFix -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix
BonjourFix/BonjourFix -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix
BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist

Hej Dith,

I moved the files to the -extra folder and run the script from the there (double clicking the executable (bonjourfix). I get this in termin.

/Special/X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer\ SL/\~extra/Bonjour/BonjourFix/BonjourFix ; exit;

/Special/X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer SL/~extra/Bonjour/BonjourFix/BonjourFix: line 23: $1: unbound variable

logout

what does it mean?

Thanx

The major problem with the USB or CD boot that Blackosx uses is modifying the DSDT to prevent the CMOS reset.

I would call it a hassle, not a problem. Blackosx method requires you to build your own dsdt.aml from within windows or a windows emulator, then use a second tool to edit the dsdt for the CMOS reset. I suppose you only have to do this once per board, it stays the same across 10.5 and 10.6. He uses a tool from koalala. Its actually kind of interesting. But there are many steps to building it and it seems error prone.

I'm curious why Blackosx goes through this complex process by hand, versus DD here just embedding the invocation of an automatic tool in his script. Also curious if our DD script is using netkas' fakeSMC v2.