[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Eliade,

I originally installed and setup snow leopard with pc efi that was in the sl app. Do you know how i can remove it and install chameleon ?

you don't have to remove it just install over

but don't forget to copy that "special" boot file to your root otherwise your system won't boot (will KP during boot)

============================

=================================================

d00m42 I know you need IDE too

did you manage to get jmicron working from EFI partition, if so how?

(All I could do for now is create an extra folder in my sl partition and copy the mkext, then I get IDE access)

I Just wanna say thank you for taking timeout from your busy schedule to post this very useful guide. I was able to get SL working on my EP45-UD3P 100% following your guide. Although i did use Koalala's DSDT patcher to get my network up and running ( was lil lazy to do it manually ;)). Once again Thank You.

I think I'll be staying x32 for the time being. I can get into x64, but it's not very stable and I can have sound in either x32 or x64, but never both.

Everything works in x32, so... easy solution there. Anyone else having x64 issues?

I think I'll be staying x32 for the time being. I can get into x64, but it's not very stable and I can have sound in either x32 or x64, but never both.

Everything works in x32, so... easy solution there. Anyone else having x64 issues?

i'm running x64 and all seems to be stable video, audio, internet etc no KPs or random crashes so far running time of about 2+ hours played COD4 runs very smooth and stable, even better than leopard :).

hi guys i'm a very new to retail instalations, i managed to install snow leopard but can not boot into it,<br />

i patched my dsdt for LAN audio and GFX but i don't know how to patch it for my QUAD processor and i'm guessing thats the problem, here's a pic of the kernel panic:

img0052o.jpg

i will apreciate if some body could point me in direction to patch my dsdt for quad core cpu

thanks in advance

i'm having a different issue, i'm not able to record audio with screen recording using quicktime X. I tried selecting built-in line input and other options available for sound but nothing worked so far :) i wonder if this is kexts related issue, would any1 confirm? I have been trying to record COD4 gameplay and quicktime captures is just fine but no audio to go with it....

Hi all, first of all THANKS A LOT for your guide + files + DSDT!!!

I have running ok SL 10.6 with your DSDT.aml file on GA-EP35-DS4

1. Graphics, nvidia 8800 GT 512 Mb (100% with quarzxtreme + dual dvi out 100%)
  2. Audio, Alc889 (100%)
  3. Ethernet 100%
  4. Sleep not ok: can't wake up (power button or kb), the fans are running... It is rare because I can sleep and wake up perfect at 100% by power button with leo 10.5.4 installation on another partition I have...

Any ideas about sleep? I have SleepEnabler.kext and correct options on Energy saver...

Thank you a lot, your ideas would be very appreciated!

2. Audio, Alc889 (100%)
  3. Ethernet 100%
  4. Sleep not ok: can't wake up (power button or kb), the fans are running... It is rare because I can sleep and wake up perfect at 100% by power button with leo 10.5.4 installation on another partition I have...

Any ideas about sleep? I have SleepEnabler.kext and correct options on Energy saver...

Make sure your BIOS settings are correct, and do a few searches on your board as it's slightly different from mine (EP45-UD3R).

2. Audio, Alc889 (100%)
  3. Ethernet 100%

Hi I am running a EP35-DS3L and everything works 100%, but I do get the odd KB every now and then, the strange thing is that they always seem to refer to different causes, once is the System Preferences when I bring up the TimeMachine settings, then it happened with Safari, then it happened with mdworker whilst it was indexing the TimeMachine drive (which I guees I fixed by adding the drive to "PRIVACY").

The system is rock solid under Leopard 10.5.8 and Windows 7.

Guys, many people seem like myself to be concerned with getting the 64bit kernel to run. You don't need it and even "real" Macs use the x32 kernel.

There's a great article posted on SL. Here's the relevant page about 64bit. http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/...os-x-10-6.ars/5

I'm just going to relax and keep it running in x32. It's what my MacBook is doing, so you can't get more vanilla than that.

No help for HD4870 owners?

Still stuick with a gray screen after tryinng various netkas ATY_init kexts and EVOenabler.

Same issue here, i've managed to get some display using the EVOenabler.kext posted by Elastic on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183064 but the usb install gets stuck in the grey screen with moveable mouse. No kernel panics, or errors :(

Hi everyone

Thanks to D00m42 for the install method. tried it on my system and was amazed how it all worked 100% perfectly the first time. One question though - The boot time required is much slower compared to 10.5.7 which I currently use. Is it because of PC-EFI ver 10.1?

Any kind soul to shed light on this?

This might've been spoken of somewhere in this super big thread but I noticed the BIOS settings for this walk-through show to set Virtualization to DISABLED. Has anyone used this guide with Virtualization ENABLED successfully?

Thanks!

This might've been spoken of somewhere in this super big thread but I noticed the BIOS settings for this walk-through show to set Virtualization to DISABLED. Has anyone used this guide with Virtualization ENABLED successfully?

Thanks!

YES

My system is super stable, didn't get one single kernel panic

I installed the system with the "recommended bios settings"

once the install over, I did "optimized default" in the bios

re-Overclocked my CPU (Q6600) from 2.4Ghz to 3Ghz

set the two sata settings back to what must be done

disable floppy

re-set my default boot drive

activated alarm in case of CPU overheat

and set the CPU fan to voltage (I have a 3pin fan), auto doesn't detect that it should be set to voltage and not PWN (or whatever the name is for 4pin CPU fan) and would run at full noisy blast

that's IT everything else is optimised default (therefore virtualization is enabled)

actually without virtualization I couldn't boot my win7 in VMware fusion, with virtualization enabled (in 32bit kernel mode) vmware run perfectly well, just as it did with Leopard before

UPDATE: Got it! Flawless graphics, ethernet, sound, and even sleep :( This {censored} is even more stable than Leopard so far... I'll have to load up some apps and run some benches. I assembled all the files I used, and will probably write a guide in the coming weeks when I have time.

hey there.

i have system up running all works but the sound.

I have actually used your DST (thanks for that) and used kext for the alc889a.

Can you tell me what you did to make the sound work. Your DST is patched for sound right.

I trtied to figure out the whole DST thing what coukd't I have the same board as you. And all works stable also sleep but no sound.

whould be great if you could give me a tip

thanks a lot

I'm trying to do a clean install now that I know everything works. I decided to use the USB install method but it fails.

When booting off the USB install disc, I get the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off" error. Boting with -v shows KP caused by kextd

Does anyone else have this issue or know a cure?

YES

My system is super stable, didn't get one single kernel panic

I installed the system with the "recommended bios settings"

once the install over, I did "optimized default" in the bios

re-Overclocked my CPU (Q6600) from 2.4Ghz to 3Ghz

set the two sata settings back to what must be done

disable floppy

re-set my default boot drive

activated alarm in case of CPU overheat

and set the CPU fan to voltage (I have a 3pin fan), auto doesn't detect that it should be set to voltage and not PWN (or whatever the name is for 4pin CPU fan) and would run at full noisy blast

that's IT everything else is optimised default (therefore virtualization is enabled)

actually without virtualization I couldn't boot my win7 in VMware fusion, with virtualization enabled (in 32bit kernel mode) vmware run perfectly well, just as it did with Leopard before

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! Best Buy here I come for my copy of Snow Leopard :( Thanks so much Eliade! I must admit though - all you just did was inspire me to find ways to skip out on work. HAH! Thanks again for your help.

@Eliade

Following this guide, I managed to install SL on my GA-P35-DS4 in a single attempt. Everything works except for my wireless card. After recompiling dsdt.aml without the "-newHPET" option, the wireless card is working now but HPET is lost.

The details of my problem is illustrated here

Any idea or solution? Thanks!