[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

but the Q6600's tjunction is at 100 °C

I still need help with the warmd panic

well depending if you have the first batch >100Watt version

or the 95 Watt version (G0 stepping like I have)

for G0 and other 95Watt Q6600 the die should not go above 60°C at which cores are at about at 70°C

so in the bios set it to 60°C alarm, if you gave a temperature monitor you'll see it won't ring until the core reach 70 (I'be been there when I overclocked it to 3.5Ghz, in the end 3.2 was the safest max speed with my cooler)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR

termal spec clearly says 71°C,

actually I don't truly know it that's supposed to be the die or the core max temp

so I'm not risking it, and will keep everything under 71°C (at which the die is at 60 thus the bios setting)

Guys, for some reason I'm getting a bunch of random KPs in x64 mode... It runs fine for a while but so far I've gotten one from Photoshop CS4, one from Firefox 3.5, and one from Openoffice.org 3. I have a huge feeling they have to do with the x64 kernel, but I'll do more testing tomorrow. The KPs come randomly and sometimes don't come at all, but 3 different messages with 3 different programs hints to me that there's something fishy up. I'll switch back to 32 bit for now and see if stop getting them. Night

uh oh ...

lately I was in 32bit

I'll go back in 64 and see if I get that too...

the only difference in our setup is that I have an mkext in the extra at the root of SL, (nothing else in this extra folder)

since that last install I haven't seen one kernel panic (well I didn't have permission problem, installing from a usb drive, so that helped a lot), my machine is absolutely perfect (not being able to wake up by moving the mouse really isn't an issue to me), keyboard option <-> command, fixed itself, and I can wake on lan, that's all the picky little thing I wanted

after being run once the stopped, photoshop restart in 2seconds, literally speaking, that's just amazing :unsure:

few years ago I use to wait 45seconds for photoshop 7 to start in windows....

Was able to install Snow 100% Working on the following hardware:

Motherboard: EP45-UD3LR

CPU: Q9400

Memory: 4GB 800Mhz

HD: 500GB

Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870

PCI Firewire

Sony USB Card Reader

External USB Drive 160 GB

Initialized this External Drive.

and followed the "USB (SECONDARY) DRIVE INSTALL METHOD" submitted by d00m42

I created the DSDT for the motherboard/Sound/Network, i also added the Kext for the Video card. ++

Also here are the files that are in my extra folder: Extra Folder

I hope this helps

;)

Please excuse my stupid question (I'm new in Mac world): can someone explain how to boot up with -v -x32?

Does it means to put this key in com.apple.Boot.plist ?

<key>-v</key>

<string></string>

<key>-x32</key>

<string></string>

Tank you!

Actually the shuttle could see the mac perfectly, it's just that at my last SL install I didn't activate file sharing...

so in conclusion I don't see where the ifconfig doesn't work

lol thanks

I'm not looking for any other way to get bonjour, the fix using ifconfig works perfectly well

Eliade:

Becker's ipconfig promisc fix does enable Bonjour with the retail version. (It doesn't work fully with the snow rc's, nor with 10.5.7 or 10.5.8, not that it matters.) I was pleasantly surprised to see shares appear and disappear from the Finder sidebar as the File Sharing box was checked and unchecked. Thanks for the script.

I've made an USB Install with SL on it.

Now when I boot from that stick I get the installer window.

Then when I made my choices and hit Install it starts and then after a minute I get an KP.

Any Idea what that can be?

Ed

How do you know if Bonjour works or it doesn't ?

one way is to activate print sharing on another mac/hack

go back to your hackintosh, in the system prefr go to add a printer, in the "defaiult" section if bonjour works you'll see you other computer's printer in the line you'll see "bonjour shared"

other way is file sharing

other mac will have a "nice" icon, instead of yhe BSOD icon used for windows machine

itunes lib sharing should work if bonjour i enabled, but not otherwise (unsure about that one)

Just would like to say thanks to everyone for all your hard work. I am currently working on a EP45C-UD3R and have not had any success thus far. However this is probably due to the fact i haven't worked with my DSDT yet. With d00m's SL pack i get get it to boot up to the part where it is getting the Mac addresses for my NIC's and then it KP's out on me. I also tried copying my DSDT from my leo install and still a no go.

Here are my specs to the best of my knowlege:

EP45C-DS3R

E8300 @ 2.83

4gig DDR2 5300MHz

Geforce 8600 GT 512

WD Raptor 73gb (my install drive for now)

Areca 1210 (this raid setup will be my permanent home eventually, just thought i would add this incase its apart of KP's)

Linksys WMP300N

I will start really going to town latter this evening. I also have a MPB running SL that i will be doing most of the drive transfers on.

I you guys have any input on this please let me know. I would like to get this running and move on to SL server :D

BlueMaC

:D

Please excuse my stupid question (I'm new in Mac world): can someone explain how to boot up with -v -x32?

Does it means to put this key in com.apple.Boot.plist ?

<key>-v</key>

<string></string>

<key>-x32</key>

<string></string>

Tank you!

When you get to the Chameleon boot screen hit TAB and you'll be able to enter either or both. In your plist file, the commands go into "string," not "key." For example, here's mine:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

If you keep the "-x32" string in your plist file, you'll always boot into 32-bit mode. BTW, you can also boot into verbose mode from the Chameleon boot screen by clicking on the down arrow at the screen. That will reveal a hidden menu with options, one of which is to boot in verbose mode.

When you get to the Chameleon boot screen hit TAB and you'll be able to enter either or both. In your plist file, the commands go into "string," not "key." For example, here's mine:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

If you keep the "-x32" string in your plist file, you'll always boot into 32-bit mode. BTW, you can also boot into verbose mode from the Chameleon boot screen by clicking on the down arrow at the screen. That will reveal a hidden menu with options, one of which is to boot in verbose mode.

Thank you! Now I have sun on my way!

if I type in Terminal

"ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi"

it returns me

"| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">"

That mean that I'm not able to boot on 64 bit?

In System Profiler I have " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes "

But when I type arch command, it returns i386

Do you have EFI64?

Thank's!

if I type in Terminal

"ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi"

it returns me

"| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">"

That mean that I'm not able to boot on 64 bit?

In System Profiler I have " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes "

But when I type arch command, it returns i386

Do you have EFI64?

Thank's!

right now I'm in 64bit mode

by typing the command I get

| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">

I don't know what that means

Make sure your BIOS settings are correct, and do a few searches on your board as it's slightly different from mine (EP45-UD3R).

Hi and thank you for your response. I think there is no problem on my bios as I can wake up perfect now with Leo 10.5.4 on another partition, but not in SL 10.6... Do you think the problem would be the DSDT.aml file? (I used it from the pack without modifications)

Thanks!

Eliade, any updates on KPs in various apps using x64? I'm in x86 atm and it's smooth as usual but last night while using x64 I had random KPs caused by various different apps...

Hi and thank you for your response. I think there is no problem on my bios as I can wake up perfect now with Leo 10.5.4 on another partition, but not in SL 10.6... Do you think the problem would be the DSDT.aml file? (I used it from the pack without modifications)

Thanks!

For the 934,234,234th time, COMPILE YOUR OWN DSDT, ONLY USE MINE TO GUIDE YOU!!!

We don't have IDENTICAL configurations, so you can't possibly use my DSDT and expect it to work 100%.

Did we ever get it sorted as to if the bonjour fix is a two way or one way fix?

I'm in the office, just got everything working and I can see my SL itunes lib from a PC, but the SL machine can't see the windows lib, or any of the network printers here. I know when I've brought my Macbook in, it saw the printers right away.

Did I miss something? Or does the ifconfig.command only allow other machines to see the hackintosh, but not let the hackintosh see them?

Can anyone help me out ... I have a P5Q and a Sony Vaio laptop -> cannot install on any of them.

I bragged the .dmg file from a private site "MAC.OSX.SNOW.LEOPARD.V10.6-HOTiSO" .dmg size: 6.13 GB

I'm running W7 so i could't burn the .dmg file so i found a software by the name dmg2img , converted the dmg to img with success ( no errors ) but the new .img file has a higher size : 7.23 GB . I burned it on a DL disk with sucess (also verified the disk after the burn completed ) -> the problem is that no pc/laptop boots from it. On windows auto-run starts with the ability to remote install on a imac or some share dvd application.

What am i doing wrong ?

Did we ever get it sorted as to if the bonjour fix is a two way or one way fix?

I'm in the office, just got everything working and I can see my SL itunes lib from a PC, but the SL machine can't see the windows lib, or any of the network printers here. I know when I've brought my Macbook in, it saw the printers right away.

Did I miss something? Or does the ifconfig.command only allow other machines to see the hackintosh, but not let the hackintosh see them?

I've found myself having to uninstall (per Eliade's instructions) and reinstall the Bonjour fix once or twice to get it working so my SL machines see my shared iTunes library. It's worked for me. But definitely uninstall then reinstall.

BTW, just to introduce a new issue, I actually find that SL performs a bit worse than Leo from a graphics standpoint. It's unnoticeable to the naked eye, but the benchmarks show it. It has something to do with what seems to be an absence of Quartz Open GL in SL. If you look in a Leo installation (System Profiler) you'll see info on Quartz Extreme and Quartz GL which is absent in Leo. And the lack of ability to enable them in SL (which you could do in Leo using OSX86 Tools) definitely lowers graphics performance according to the benchmarking tools.

From the little I can find on the Web, it seems there may be plans to re-introduce Quartz GL later in SL, but it doesn't seem to be there now.

Just thought I would throw in my Geekbench! Lol, I was impressed... and this is the 32bit module running while i am in 64bit kernel :)

Not to mention this is far from near the top my system will clock to, pretty dang impressive

My score was a modest 7314

Not to bad

post-295160-1252010792_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would throw in my Geekbench! Lol, I was impressed... and this is the 32bit module running while i am in 64bit kernel :)

Not to mention this is far from near the top my system will clock to, pretty dang impressive

My score was a modest 7314

Not to bad

We have to fix the issues with x64... It seems to throw random KPs (random application each time). Not sure exactly why, or now to fix it. I clock just around 6000 in x64, but maybe 500 less in x86

It's good; better than any iMac Apple sells. But, by comparison, on my i7 920/EX58-UD3R (overclocked to 3.6 GHz) I get 11367, which is just a shade less than Apple's 8-core Mac Pro Intel Xeon E5520 2.27 GHz. But my i7 cost me ~$1,150, while that Mac Pro goes for $3,300. :)

Hey JFLNYC,

I am interested in building an OSX machine with the EX58-UD3R board! Can you PM your specs / parts you used?

I got my Mac Pro Case to mod and was curious if anyone had a good time with the ex58-ud3r board :)

Looking @ that score I would guess so!

We have to fix the issues with x64... It seems to throw random KPs (random application each time). Not sure exactly why, or now to fix it. I clock just around 6000 in x64, but maybe 500 less in x86

Hm,

That sounds like the problem I was having awhile back with that stupid windows 7 drive installed.

I have to say, I have yet to have any issues once I figured that ntfs #$@! out and removed it completely from my machine.

I guess I have been lucky so far, but right now this thing is rocking fast in x64 since I made that finding :)

Looks that Apple is already working on the 10.6.1 seed, maybe they will address some x64 kernel issues, reminds me years ago when Linux distros started developing x64 kernels, same problems. As time goes I am sure it will become more stable and issues ironed out.

I have to say, I have yet to have any issues once I figured that ntfs #$@! out and removed it completely from my machine.

I've been running with 3 ntfs drives with 5 ntfs partitions total for about 4 days now and I'm having zero problems. Since I heard of your issues with ntfs, I've been checking the console for those errors you spoke about much earlier in the thread and I haven't seen any problems whatsoever. I've booted back into Windows 7 a few times and again, no issues. Is there something I should look out for? I'm also running ntfs-3g.