[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Alright, got around to all the fun of redoing it all between last night and this morning before work:

Sound now works with: VoodooHDA(ALC888)

PS2 now works with: VodooPS2

SO far no kernel panics or shutdowns due to spotlight(though it seemed to come back with a FF install the first go around)

CMOS issue came back, i must have not redone the DST right this time around, not something i can't fix though :(

Now to figure out the best way to get everything in there from leopard, then maybe move my SL install from my 250GB drive to my Leo's 640GB drive...I think doom posted about it a couple pages back.

I have followed this guide word for word, and cannot get it to work. I am not installing from a dvd inserted into the drive, but just from mounting the .dmg on my desktop and following the guide from there. I have revision 1.0 board. I have a 9600GT graphics card, and q6600 processor. I have the GA EP45-UD3R. i updated my bios to the newest version and still dont see some of the options i am told to disable. I have a sata dvd drive, and two sata HDD's. This is the picture I see during reboot:

post-395697-1251914860_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to do a clean install now that I know everything works. I decided to use the USB install method but it fails.

When booting off the USB install disc, I get the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off" error. Boting with -v shows KP caused by kextd

Does anyone else have this issue or know a cure?

I've had it happen. What I did was to rebuild the Chameleon portion of the USB stick, i.e., delete my Extra folder, reinstall PC EFI 10.1 and copy the appropriate Extra items back over (modifying the smbios and PlatformUUID with the USB UUID, of course). Don't copy over the extensions.mkext. Then run kextutility, reboot and try again. Sometimes it's just a small item which is off on the USB stick, so you need to be careful that it's just right and be sure to run kextutility.

I'm trying to do a clean install now that I know everything works. I decided to use the USB install method but it fails.

When booting off the USB install disc, I get the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off" error. Boting with -v shows KP caused by kextd

Does anyone else have this issue or know a cure?

did you boot in 32bit mode to install it ?

-v -x32

did you boot in 32bit mode to install it ?

-v -x32

Sure did. I even completely wiped the drive in Windows using diskpart & clean. Then I tried again but get no luck.

Looking at the errors right before the KP, I see the following, not sure if it's the cause or what it means though:

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0

ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out

There are more errors, but those are right before the kp. One that pops up a few times is BootCache: hit rate below threshold (12 hits on 1970 lookups)

@Eliade

Following this guide, I managed to install SL on my GA-P35-DS4 in a single attempt. Everything works except for my wireless card. After recompiling dsdt.aml without the "-newHPET" option, the wireless card is working now but HPET is lost.

The details of my problem is illustrated here

Any idea or solution? Thanks!

Sorry, never use a wifi card in my computer

so I don't know much about it...

keep looking around, a kext for you card that worked in leopard will probably work well in Snow Leopard 32bit mode (and a kernel panic in 64, because it's probably unsupported)

or buy a known OOB card and sell yours on ebay

Is there any chance to use your guide for my mobo?

p41 chipset

yes most likely

@Eliade

Following this guide, I managed to install SL on my GA-P35-DS4 in a single attempt. Everything works except for my wireless card. After recompiling dsdt.aml without the "-newHPET" option, the wireless card is working now but HPET is lost.

The details of my problem is illustrated here

Any idea or solution? Thanks!

Sorry, never use a wifi card in my computer

so I don't know much about it...

keep looking around, a kext for you card that worked in leopard will probably work well in Snow Leopard 32bit mode (and a kernel panic in 64, because it's probably unsupported)

or buy a known OOB card and sell yours on ebay

Is there any chance to use your guide for my mobo?

p41 chipset

yes most likely

Sure did. I even completely wiped the drive in Windows using diskpart & clean. Then I tried again but get no luck.

Looking at the errors right before the KP, I see the following, not sure if it's the cause or what it means though:

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0

ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out

There are more errors, but those are right before the kp. One that pops up a few times is BootCache: hit rate below threshold (12 hits on 1970 lookups)

have to go to class now, I'll help you later if you don't figure it out

but just try to reinstall chameleon from the pack (pcefi10.1)

the mkext should not be needed in the extra folder at least for the install process (in my case I need it just to get jmicron to work to get access to ide drive)

edit:

are you shure your dsdt works ?

Alright, got around to all the fun of redoing it all between last night and this morning before work:

Sound now works with: VoodooHDA(ALC888)

PS2 now works with: VodooPS2

SO far no kernel panics or shutdowns due to spotlight(though it seemed to come back with a FF install the first go around)

CMOS issue came back, i must have not redone the DST right this time around, not something i can't fix though ;)

Now to figure out the best way to get everything in there from leopard, then maybe move my SL install from my 250GB drive to my Leo's 640GB drive...I think doom posted about it a couple pages back.

Wtf.. why would you use VoodooHDA when you can just DSDT patch it, use a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E, and use the stock SL kexts -.-

Honestly, i was having trouble with the DSDT...and it worked...haha.

Whatever floats your boat. The goal is to have the CLOSEST TO A REAL MAC configuration, that way it RUNS LIKE A MAC. If you use too many hacked kexts you're dealing with a completely different animal. More hassle during updates, changes etc. Many, many people have gotten by JUST using the kexts I've included in my pack (including me), and I have had 0 problems that weren't fixed within a day or so, and almost none in the past few days. I've been using SL for a little over a week now, and as soon as I'm done reorganizing my data drive (after just having reformatted it to HFS+) I'll use my 500GB external for TM to backup my Snow (system) drive and my Storage (media/data) drive. I have a feeling I won't really be needing to use another OS at this point because it's so stable... Without having to rely on NTFS-3G anymore, I will also be able to use the x64 kernel : )

I gotta do Eliade's Bonjour fix, but because I'm copying 171GB of files right now, it has to wait.

I got everything working on my EP45-UD3R setup with a little bit of tweaking.

First off, I use the digital out on my sound, well the normal setup that this thread includes in the guide doesnt provide any Digtal out in sound prefs. It just has 3 Line Outs and a Headphone out. I ended up using the LegacyHDA and HDAEnabler from another thread (one from the EX58 boards) and that worked fine. And yes I built the DSDT myself as well.

Secondly the one thing I cant truly get working is the firewire in a sense. When I go to system profiler I see it sees my external DVD writer thats running on firewire. It shows its a Sony DVD writer. However I cant use it, putting in a CD/DVD does nothing, Disk Utility doesnt see it. So no way to really use it. This was working fine on my 10.5.8 IATKOS distro setup and Retail Leopard setup. So not sure why I cant get the Snow Leopard to see it. Almost seems like it seems it but it doesnt know its an optical drive to set it up as a DVD writer. Tried for about 4-5hrs trying to get this working but not getting any luck.

Lastly the sleep works sometimes, sometimes doesnt, its hit and miss. I found it working better if I drop in the AppleUSBEHCI kext. Without that it never goes to sleep fully, board seems to tell the fan to run full tilt. But never turns off.

Dixit

My system was working ok until I have changed the screen resolution. In that moment my screen turns blue witout any icons or mouse cursor. After hard restart, my screen is steel blue. My video card is 9400 gt, and I used my EFI from Leopard. Could be that the problem?

Thank you.

Whatever floats your boat. The goal is to have the CLOSEST TO A REAL MAC configuration, that way it RUNS LIKE A MAC. If you use too many hacked kexts you're dealing with a completely different animal. More hassle during updates, changes etc. Many, many people have gotten by JUST using the kexts I've included in my pack (including me), and I have had 0 problems that weren't fixed within a day or so, and almost none in the past few days. I've been using SL for a little over a week now, and as soon as I'm done reorganizing my data drive (after just having reformatted it to HFS+) I'll use my 500GB external for TM to backup my Snow (system) drive and my Storage (media/data) drive. I have a feeling I won't really be needing to use another OS at this point because it's so stable... Without having to rely on NTFS-3G anymore, I will also be able to use the x64 kernel : )

I gotta do Eliade's Bonjour fix, but because I'm copying 171GB of files right now, it has to wait.

No, i understand your point completely. Your help and guides have gotten me all up to the sound and ps2. I'm no where close to done playing with it either...

Just more of a what's working and how i got there...

I got everything working on my EP45-UD3R

Lastly the sleep works sometimes, sometimes doesnt, its hit and miss. I found it working better if I drop in the AppleUSBEHCI kext. Without that it never goes to sleep fully, board seems to tell the fan to run full tilt. But never turns off.

Dixit

if appleusbehci gives you problem, maybe you can try the usb echi fix into your dsdt

I think I posted a how to in this thread for the ehci fix (copied it from the thread that talk about it, just rewrote for it to be a little more clear to understand)

What is the correct FSB speed to set in the smbios.plist?

The default in your file is 400 but the EP45-3UDR can run at 1600. I am using 800 MHz DDR2 (19) with a 2.5 GHz Quad (7.5 x 333.3) Core 2 Duo.

Thanks for the guide here—it really helped.

The secret with the HD4870 is to just install EVOenabler.kext in the Extra folder and make sure the device ID in the ATI4800Controller is correct—nothing else needed.

What is the correct FSB speed to set in the smbios.plist?

The default in your file is 400 but the EP45-3UDR can run at 1600. I am using 800 MHz DDR2 (19) with a 2.5 GHz Quad (7.5 x 333.3) Core 2 Duo.

Thanks for the guide here�"it really helped.

The secret with the HD4870 is to just install EVOenabler.kext in the Extra folder and make sure the device ID in the ATI4800Controller is correct�"nothing else needed.

-.- Lulz you must be an overclocking nub.

1600/4 = 400 MHz

Set yours to 333

On a scarier note, I might have just lost 100GB of important data if I can't fix the fact that NTFS-3G corrupted my Storage drive as I was migrating it back off external to internal. Luckily I have all my music and 95% of my movies, most recent/important documents, and my SL guide/install files.

This wasn't NTFS-3G's fault alone (I've actually been using it for a year or so with no issues), but the fact that VMWare threw a KP when trying to load my Win7 VM for some reason, while I was copying files off the NTFS drive to my newly formatter HFS+ Storage drive. There are at least 3 things I can do before it gets complicated and I really have to worry, but I'll keep you guys updated.

Step 1 is attempt to use chkdsk on a Windows computer (which obviously knows NTFS very, very well) to repair the file table. Because the drive is still readable but the drive is using a file table from two nights ago, the files are still THERE, they're just kinda lost.

Step 2 would be to use a specialized utility that recovers files from corrupted drives (this almost always works where other methods fail), although oftentimes the file names aren't 100% accurate and stuff has to be reorganized on recovery.

Step 3 gets sort of nasty, I won't get into it unless I have to go there, which *crosses fingers* I won't. Chkdsk is still running, and it will keep running for a long-ass time because there are quite a few (~300k) files on the drive and it's only on 40k.

Is it safe to install this way?

Since I can't get the USB install working, can I connect the drive I want to use to my MacBook & install it straight form SL on the MacBook? Just pop in the disc, launch the installer and choose the USB drive to install to? Or will that mees up my MacBook?

UPDATE: Got it! Flawless graphics, ethernet, sound, and even sleep :D This {censored} is even more stable than Leopard so far... I'll have to load up some apps and run some benches. I assembled all the files I used, and will probably write a guide in the coming weeks when I have time.

I have installed using Blackosx's guide for snow vanilla with cham on it's own partition & netkas v10.1 boot. But I'm getting immediate KP. I CAN boot into safe mode though and I've run the kext utility. I cannot run disk utility-repair permissions due to the BSD error. I've attempted to re-install the BSD.pkg but am getting an error install failed.

Your thoughts?

have to go to class now, I'll help you later if you don't figure it out

but just try to reinstall chameleon from the pack (pcefi10.1)

the mkext should not be needed in the extra folder at least for the install process (in my case I need it just to get jmicron to work to get access to ide drive)

edit:

are you shure your dsdt works ?

I am having the same KP with

"Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0

ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out"

and could use the help. Thanks

IMG_1869.JPG

GA-EP45-UD3P

I am having the same KP with

"Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0

ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out"

and could use the help. Thanks

IMG_1869.JPG

GA-EP45-UD3P

That's almost always problems in the DSDT.

That's almost always problems in the DSDT.

Ok I will try again. I used yours, mine from Leo, I have recompiled it twice. I will read that guide again and keep trying. Any other ideas?

GA-EP45-UD3P

GTX 260 Core 216 OC 896Mb

E8500 @ 4.0 GHz (also tried at stock clock 3.16GHz)

4 Gb DDR2

@D00m42

I think you have a bad file in your v4 SL pack

I found the zip file for the v2 in my trash (luckily) & replaced the files on my usb drive's Extra folder with those and it booted no problem.

I messed with this all day, remade my DSDT several times, wiped drives, started over and over and still got KP trying to boot. As soon as I used the old files it worked.

I think that also explains the rush of recent people with the same issue of KP on boot.