[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Maybe it could work this way:

Using a revised generic "boot 132" bootable CD, a blank 8 Gb USB memory stick, and the retail DVD:

Boot from the (new version) generic boot CD, that would auto-detect & write customized files (specific to the user hardware present) to then make a bootable USB drive.

Remove the CD & reboot from the new USB drive.

Insert retail SL DVD and continue with Snow Leopard customized install onto hard drive.

In other words: automate all of the "insert video card ID string into file", detect LAN present and write code to file,

detect audio chip and write code to file & etc. So that: even a newby (or a blind person) could install SL on pretty much

ANY Intel Core CPU machine.

ahhhhh scripter's nightmare!!!!!!

this would take like a year to make of just inputing the driver data and device id's ahhhhhhhh

not to mention it would be like 60 GB at the end of it.

seriously man. it makes me groan just thinking about it....

Well I'm CCCing my Snow drive onto the drive where my Leopard USED to reside, aka the final step between SL for fun and SL as my main OS X OS (over Leopard). It's been stable as a rock for a week now with everything really smooth and LITERALLY every single feature that would work on a real Mac (with a few tiny fixes and tweaks here and there). I might just forget about using NTFS for my main storage drive, and either splitting it in half, formatting one half as NTFS/FAT32 for windows stuff, and the other half as HFS+ for Mac stuff (also so it can be backed up with Time Machine).

I also put my "Extra" folder + boot file on the hidden EFI partition just for {censored} and giggles (makes it a TINY bit more Vanilla in my book, hiding all the extra kexts and stuff from Software Update etc) and I'll add a guide on how to do this (it's quite simple actually, ESPECIALLY if you already have the hidden partition + Chameleon set up for Leopard. I might try to get Chameleon RC2 working and included in the pack (instead of the current RC1), because there are a few added benefits and enhancements such as not showing non-bootable drives (FINALLY) and even automatic graphics/etheret detection (meaning you don't need an EFI gfx string OR ethernet patching in DSDT, it's ALL in the bootloader (although audio seems to be a bigger issue for most than ethernet in DSDT, and you need CMOS + USB sleep fixes anyways...)

Soon the guide will have QUITE the transformation, if I have a good 2-3 hours to rewrite it completely including all of our findings and fixes, while doing a test install on my MSI Wind U100 Netbook.

Night everyone!

Well I'm CCCing my Snow drive onto the drive where my Leopard USED to reside, aka the final step between SL for fun and SL as my main OS X OS (over Leopard). It's been stable as a rock for a week now with everything really smooth and LITERALLY every single feature that would work on a real Mac (with a few tiny fixes and tweaks here and there). I might just forget about using NTFS for my main storage drive, and either splitting it in half, formatting one half as NTFS/FAT32 for windows stuff, and the other half as HFS+ for Mac stuff (also so it can be backed up with Time Machine).

I also put my "Extra" folder + boot file on the hidden EFI partition just for {censored} and giggles (makes it a TINY bit more Vanilla in my book, hiding all the extra kexts and stuff from Software Update etc) and I'll add a guide on how to do this (it's quite simple actually, ESPECIALLY if you already have the hidden partition + Chameleon set up for Leopard. I might try to get Chameleon RC2 working and included in the pack (instead of the current RC1), because there are a few added benefits and enhancements such as not showing non-bootable drives (FINALLY) and even automatic graphics/etheret detection (meaning you don't need an EFI gfx string OR ethernet patching in DSDT, it's ALL in the bootloader (although audio seems to be a bigger issue for most than ethernet in DSDT, and you need CMOS + USB sleep fixes anyways...)

Soon the guide will have QUITE the transformation, if I have a good 2-3 hours to rewrite it completely including all of our findings and fixes, while doing a test install on my MSI Wind U100 Netbook.

Night everyone!

YES ANOTHER ONE JOINS THE EFI PARTITION SIDE!

you better credit me sir!

YES ANOTHER ONE JOINS THE EFI PARTITION SIDE!

you better credit me sir!

Bro, I've had an EFI partition running since Leopard 10.5.4 -.- or something way long ago around there, not long after it came out lol... It's been common knowledge, I just didn't implement it in my preliminary guide because it wasn't NECESSARY over figuring out all of the glitches I knew would occur because SL had just come out a few hours earlier. Now that everything is running so beautifully, I can take the time to make things a little bit neater.

So yes, I've been on the "EFI partition side" for a while now; but no, I will not credit you for something you didn't discover when I've been using it for ages >.<

I believe munky was the one who wrote the original original guide on EFI located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123841 with over 330k views, so I will list the "EFI Partition Method" as something that's been around for a while, attributed to munky. Originally we couldn't even use Chameleon, we used a custom bootloader munky helped to write along with dfe.

Bro, I've had an EFI partition running since Leopard 10.5.4 -.- or something way long ago around there, not long after it came out lol... It's been common knowledge, I just didn't implement it in my preliminary guide because it wasn't NECESSARY over figuring out all of the glitches I knew would occur because SL had just come out a few hours earlier. Now that everything is running so beautifully, I can take the time to make things a little bit neater.

So yes, I've been on the "EFI partition side" for a while now; but no, I will not credit you for something you didn't discover when I've been using it for ages >.<

I believe munky was the one who wrote the original original guide on EFI located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123841 with over 330k views, so I will list the "EFI Partition Method" as something that's been around for a while, attributed to munky. Originally we couldn't even use Chameleon, we used a custom bootloader munky helped to write.

bah not what i meant. theres no point for two of the same guide to exist.

i could of just linked to munky's guide, but i wrote it out for snow leopard.

and i was the first one who got a clean install working (that I know of) for osx86 snow leopard. :D

bah not what i meant. theres no point for two of the same guide to exist.

i could of just linked to munky's guide, but i wrote it out for snow leopard.

and i was the first one who got a clean install working (that I know of) for osx86 snow leopard. :D

Believe me, no you weren't.

Before I go, I am having a weird issue that probably had to do with cloning. I cloned my working SL install to other drive and set up Chameleon and everything, but now I constantly get messages in system logs/terminal when I type commands (they still work) that say, "dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache".

How do I go about safely deleting and recreating this? I know it's in /private/var/db/dyld (which contains a bunch of different cache files, there's i386 and i386 map, rosetta and rosetta map, and x86_64 and x86_64 map). There's also a folder called shared_region_roots, which contains "Applications.paths, ATS.paths, CoreGraphics.paths, Dylibs.paths, Frameworks.paths, and QuickTime.paths".

Any suggestions on how to stop the messages? They also appear at verbose boot but everything still works fine functionally.

UPDATE: Fixed it, but I hate using nasty root terminal commands that you force :/

The fix was:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Forcing commands can cause serious problems sometimes, but I think it's working fine now.

I have a huge math test tomorrow so I'm gonna go to sleep. As per usual I'll glance at any questions in the morning, but I get back from school around 3PM EST.

After fixing the weird dyld error and realizing that the drive init error was due to my flash drive plugged in on boot, I'm back to what (I think) is flawless SL. As I aforementioned, when I get the chance sometime in the near future I'll rewrite the guide as I do some testing on my MSI Wind U100 Netbook, and it should be way smoother, simpler, and including as many fixes and tweaks as I can fit in, giving credit to all those who either discovered, fixed, or helped with any major issues.

Now running using the EFI partition

(I moved my bonjour folder with the fix into Application/Utilities)

Ok so i was able to log on, the dock appears and then this error pops up right away.

How do i resolve it ?

I followed the instructions till step 10.

most likely a permission issue

if you absolutely don't have time on the desktop to run kext utility

do it manually by booting with those flags: -v -s -x32

few post above (dated today) the commands are clearly stated to do the necessary cleanup

i got it working :D

Thanks im in the OS now and its fastttttttt.

Question is, what should i do with my leo partition ?

Just leave it ? or can i remove it ?

great !

it's up to you

in my case I have loads of data to transfer, before I can get ride of it

but I'm now officially using snow leopard full time, I'm almost sure my system is 101% stable :P

once I have reinstalled all my apps I'll remove Leo

anyway, you can just format the leo partition, Snow leo will still work

but what if you have something going wrong tomorrow, do you have another mac/hackintosh computer or a way to reinstall Snow leo without the need of Leo

if I were you I'd keep Leo for a week, then format Leo, cause it's easy to fix something will you have leo available

but again it's your choice

Ya i got a real 24" Alum iMac with SL already installed.

Also i used CCC my Leo partition on my external drive.

I am just gonna do like you said do the data migration and delete the partition.

Also

I am currently booting pci efi v10 from USB

How can i make it permanent on the hdd ?

Thanks Eliade!

Ya i got a real 24" Alum iMac with SL already installed.

Also i used CCC my Leo partition on my external drive.

I am just gonna do like you said do the data migration and delete the partition.

Also

I am currently booting pci efi v10 from USB

How can i make it permanent on the hdd ?

Thanks Eliade!

well if you already have the usb then remove LEO, didn't know you had that....

if SL is in your first partition then

(if not let me know)

download chameleon 2 with boot file for SL

cham_2_with_boot_file_for_SL.zip

install chameleon

in the install option uncheck "extras" and "options"

once the install done

move everything from your usb stick to the extra folder in your sl partition

and copy the included boot file to the root of your sl partition (should ask if you want to replace and your password)

reboot

if it doesn't work boot with your usb drive again an let me know

Just when I think everything's working ok... I get a kernel panic in the middle of migration assistant!

I wasn't in verbose, so just GSOD, no idea what died - anyone have any experience with KP's and migration assistant from 10.5 to 10.6? What would cause that when otherwise the snowleo system is running perfectly? isn't it just copying files over??

First partition is Leopard second Partition is SL

I want to delete the First Leo Partiton from SL in Disk Utility

1/ well you can carbon copy cloner but d00m42 had a little issue with it, but supposedly fixed (rough way)

2/ reinstall it now that you know how to on the first partition (cleanest way)

3/ format the leo partition, install chameleon on that first partition, you'll need a tiny modification in com.apple.boot (I'll let you know what if you choose that path) for it to boot automatically on the second partition (safest way, and fastest...)