[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

@D00m42

I think you have a bad file in your v4 SL pack

I found the zip file for the v2 in my trash (luckily) & replaced the files on my usb drive's Extra folder with those and it booted no problem.

I messed with this all day, remade my DSDT several times, wiped drives, started over and over and still got KP trying to boot. As soon as I used the old files it worked.

I think that also explains the rush of recent people with the same issue of KP on boot.

I'll replace the kexts with what I have on my actual /E/E, but idk what would be the problem...

Ok, well, I've gotten 2 different kernel panics [warmd, and WindowServer], and 2 "YOU MUST RESTART" messages after installing video drivers from the pkg that worked for Leo :( the 9800GX2 is detected the same way as in Leo [completely detected, except core 2 doesn't have any vRAM but it's not really being used i don't think]. In the time that it is up, it's a lot less jumpy and no more mouse blinking; everythings smooth like butter, then a kernel panic, lol. Ideas for that?

Well I just went and followed the DSDT guide again and noticed after the last step I have 15 Errors, 2 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 38 Optimizations and it only output a dsdt.asm no dsdt.aml is this my problem?

Probably

Try using an app called Merge, they have a 30 day demo. Decompile your aml and the one from the sl pack & compare the two. You'll find where you went wrong, thats what I did to get audio going.

Probably

Try using an app called Merge, they have a 30 day demo. Decompile your aml and the one from the sl pack & compare the two. You'll find where you went wrong, thats what I did to get audio going.

I think that is one of my issues I am not getting an .aml I just did some other changes and this time I got a .aml output but it had too many errors to list.

I am only getting the dsdt.asm out put the guide says you will get an asm and aml then you rename the aml file. I dont have that to rename.

can I send someone my dsdt.dsl file and see it they can get it to work? or is there another way to make the aml file?

d00m42:

I now have an efi partition with my boot file and chameleon

but I cannot get IDE access anymore, unless I have the mkext in a blank extra folder at the root of the SL partition

do you know anything about getting jmicron to work from the efi partition

thanks

I think that is one of my issues I am not getting an .aml I just did some other changes and this time I got a .aml output but it had too many errors to list.

I am only getting the dsdt.asm out put the guide says you will get an asm and aml then you rename the aml file. I dont have that to rename.

can I send someone my dsdt.dsl file and see it they can get it to work? or is there another way to make the aml file?

the dsl files are what you need to compare the two. Open Merge, drop yours on one side and his on the other. If all you have is his asm file, decompile it by dragging it onto iaslMe

Well, I have a GA EP45-UD3R myself and I've followed this great guide (tyvm, btw) and withOUT modifying the DSDT, I can boot up to the blue screen that doesn't go anywhere.

I'm trying to recreate my DSDT, and I'm having trouble following the instructions where it tells me to start modifying dsdt.dsl. Also, do I need to add an EFI string for my gtx 260 now that SL supports it?

THANKS!

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with the Blue Screen (but is not quite as blue as in BSOD from M$ - just light blue and a little mind numbing) I also have a GTX 260 (evga 896Mb) which I believe is the culprit. (There is no right EFI string for it -- help Netkas!) My mobo is GA EP45-UD3LR and I can only boot with -x32 (otherwise I get KP) I could not modify the infamous DSDT since it's soooooooooo hard and I get errors when I try to compile with iasl (even though I have the xcode installed) Interesting to mention that I also empirically believe that EFI 10.1 package might be involved in this, as well....

the dsl files are what you need to compare the two. Open Merge, drop yours on one side and his on the other. If all you have is his asm file, decompile it by dragging it onto iaslMe

I will do that to see if I can fix my DSDT. For now I just took the one from Leo and fixed the CMOS reset. I also found another post about the KP I have been having.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1248828

Did what was said on the 2nd page and I am now on the desk top of SnowLeo

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with the Blue Screen (but is not quite as blue as in BSOD from M$ - just light blue and a little mind numbing) I also have a GTX 260 (evga 896Mb) which I believe is the culprit. (There is no right EFI string for it -- help Netkas!) My mobo is GA EP45-UD3LR and I can only boot with -x32 (otherwise I get KP) I could not modify the infamous DSDT since it's soooooooooo hard and I get errors when I try to compile with iasl (even though I have the xcode installed) Interesting to mention that I also empirically believe that EFI 10.1 package might be involved in this, as well....

Try not to whine as much, as you will accomplish much more by trying harder rather than admitting defeat to something that's not that bad...

Just a few pages back there was someone who couldn't get their GTX 260 896MB to work, and someone helped them create an EFI string for it, which they attached. The EFI package has nothing to do with DSDT errors; you also have to actually get to understand DSDT and follow the guide carefully. If something is "sooooooooo hard" and you can't do it, then how can you expect to get an OS that wasn't designed on PCs to run on a PC? Just have determination, and keep updating us with your results. For starters, as someone mentioned, use the program "Merge" which has a free 30 day trial to compare my DSDT.aml (decompile it first) with yours, and make the edits exactly as I have them.

Eliade.

I have Leo on partition 1 with PCI EFI V9

I have SL on Parition 2 with PCI EFI v10

If i delete P1 I cannot merge it to P2 with SL.

Any suggestions to make SL P1 instead of P2 so i can get my full 500gb

I don't exactly understand what you're saying. Is the problem that PC EFI v10.1/Chameleon 2 for SL isn't being booted up because PC EFI v9 is booting first for Leo?

Try not to whine as much, as you will accomplish much more by trying harder rather than admitting defeat to something that's not that bad...

Just a few pages back there was someone who couldn't get their GTX 260 896MB to work, and someone helped them create an EFI string for it, which they attached. The EFI package has nothing to do with DSDT errors; you also have to actually get to understand DSDT and follow the guide carefully. If something is "sooooooooo hard" and you can't do it, then how can you expect to get an OS that wasn't designed on PCs to run on a PC? Just have determination, and keep updating us with your results. For starters, as someone mentioned, use the program "Merge" which has a free 30 day trial to compare my DSDT.aml (decompile it first) with yours, and make the edits exactly as I have them.

I just got into my SL and I have a EFI String for my EVGA GTX260 Core 216 SC 896MB if you want it. I just followed the guide on how to do it. I guess it worked as I can see my desk top and system profiler shows it

Chipset Model: GTX 260

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 896 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05e2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: GTX 260 OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

VK246:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

What im tyring to say is that

I dont want Leopeard anymore

i want to be able to have only SL on my hdd as my only partition.

since leo is on partition 1 and sl on partition 2

if i delete partition 1 which is leo from disk utility i cant seem to merge the 2 partitions.

What im tyring to say is that

I dont want Leopeard anymore

i want to be able to have only SL on my hdd as my only partition.

since leo is on partition 1 and sl on partition 2

if i delete partition 1 which is leo from disk utility i cant seem to merge the 2 partitions.

Oh I see. No, I don't think you can move the installed section like that, unless the drive is GUID formatted, and all the partitions are variants of HFS/HFS+ formatting. If this is the case, in Disk Utility, you may be able to resize the partition with the slider under the "Partition" tab when you click on the disk. Even then it may not work. See if you can do this or not, and if you cant, your options are really either re-install SL on a fresh drive (just clone your current SL or Leo installation with the needed files to an external drive and do it that way), or just live with the blank partition where Leo used to be and use it as a regular storage device.

I ran Geekbench and got ~5800 in SL in x64. I haven't used Geekbench much, so is this a good score?

It's good; better than any iMac Apple sells. But, by comparison, on my i7 920/EX58-UD3R (overclocked to 3.6 GHz) I get 11367, which is just a shade less than Apple's 8-core Mac Pro Intel Xeon E5520 2.27 GHz. But my i7 cost me ~$1,150, while that Mac Pro goes for $3,300. :)

d00m42 - I was comparing my DSDT with yours from the pack. You have a few extra sections (especially under USB3). Is this something I should add in? Did I miss something?

It appears under Scope (_GPE) & Device (USB3) and mentions US31

Thanks and great work by the way!!

It's good; better than any iMac Apple sells. But, by comparison, on my i7 920/EX58-UD3R (overclocked to 3.6 GHz) I get 11367, which is just a shade less than Apple's 8-core Mac Pro Intel Xeon E5520 2.27 GHz. But my i7 cost me ~$1,150, while that Mac Pro goes for $3,300. :D

Ah I guess it's decent then. This weekend I'll do a little more OCing, should be able to get it to a solid 6,000. I built this system when I was 12, and I'm 16 now lol.. since then I've replaced the mobo (originally P5W-DH Deluxe), gfx (originally 7950 GTX), cpu (originally E6600), and doubled the RAM to 4 GHz, although I still have my old 2 x 1 GHz kit, which I might test in SL cause I'm using 64 bit, and i got another internal hd as well as an AC7 cooler instead of the stock cooler i used to use. Essentially I've built two systems in this case lol, just replacing the insides. Kept the same PSU though...

I figured I wouldn't spend money on an i7 system because I'm going off to college next year, and will most likely get a MBP. I don't think I can take my desktop computer sadly : (

d00m42 - I was comparing my DSDT with yours from the pack. You have a few extra sections (especially under USB3). Is this something I should add in? Did I miss something?

It appears under Scope (_GPE) & Device (USB3) and mentions US31

Thanks and great work by the way!!

Yes well that's a fairly important USB fix that I will add in in v2.0 of the guide which I SHOULD have up during this weekend (3 day weekend :D). It deals with USB devices giving the "unsafely removed" or "not recognized" on wake from sleep, and might fix people's not being able to wake from sleep with a usb keyboard/mouse.

Guys, for some reason I'm getting a bunch of random KPs in x64 mode... It runs fine for a while but so far I've gotten one from Photoshop CS4, one from Firefox 3.5, and one from Openoffice.org 3. I have a huge feeling they have to do with the x64 kernel, but I'll do more testing tomorrow. The KPs come randomly and sometimes don't come at all, but 3 different messages with 3 different programs hints to me that there's something fishy up. I'll switch back to 32 bit for now and see if stop getting them. Night

Damn, another random freeze.... Here's what the log said :

Sep 2 23:18:15 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro Safari[145]: INSERT-HANG-DETECTED: Tx time:3.076526, # of Inserts: 0, # of bytes written: 0, Did shrink: YES

Sep 2 23:20:51 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro Mail[296]: Mail: SafetyNet not needed - wrongState:0

Sep 2 23:21:31 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[327]: disableSystemSleep 1

Sep 2 23:21:31 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[327]: IOPMAssertionCreateWithName

Sep 2 23:21:34 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro [0x0-0x30030].com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX[327]: CoreMediaAuthoring: the source video is color-untagged. Assuming Rec 601...

Sep 2 23:21:48 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QTKitServer[330]: *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x6e2b2f0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Sep 2 23:21:48 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro [0x0-0x30030].com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX[327]: 2009-09-02 23:21:48.135 QTKitServer[330:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x6e2b2f0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Any idea?? Need more info?

My system is a Core 2 Quad 6600 with 4gb ram on a EP45-UD3P, Radeon x1950Pro running on an old Raptor hdd...

My dsdt patching didn't quite work with the audio part (I sent it to you in your PMs) so maybe there's an error... I had to take old kexts to make it work...

Man, I'm going to do a lot of work on getting x64 to work smoothly soon... I just did a Geekbench test and I'm getting 400-500 more points in x64 mode vs x86 -.- That's a huge increase, definitely worth not being forced to run in x86 all the time, although there's nothing wrong with it..

I ran Geekbench and got ~5800 in SL in x64. I haven't used Geekbench much, so is this a good score?

sound's about right to me too

considering the speed at which your dual core is running

in 32bit kernel :

my quad @ 3.0Ghz gets about 6500

and now just overclocked it to @3.2 I received 7021

----------------

I don't understand how you are getting IDE when using efi partition and I'm not

you have no extra folder left at the root of your SL partition I suppose.

you made your mkext using kext utility, right?