[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Machinist - I have been struggling with my EP-45-us3p for days. I can get SL installed and it seems to work but I get random kernel panics. I have tried countless methods for the DSDT but nothing seems to do the trick. What are your bios settings (did you disable anything special?). Also could you please post your working DSDT file. I would really appreciate it since yours seems to work.

Both ports work on my UD3P. The DSDT fix needs to be applied to both ports. I ran my DSDT through koalala's patcher twice (for the LANs at PEX4 and PEX5), as it can only mend one LAN at a time, but you are welcome to manually fix yours as you like. Koalala's tool is a great time saver though it requires booting into Windows. I've been using it for quite some time. Your call.

The ifconfig "fix" of enabling promiscuity mode does work for some applications. However, it will not fully enable the one aspect of Bonjour I enjoy, having other machine's shares appear in the Finder sidebar. Shares of this machine do show in the other machine, but not the other way round. Promiscuity mode does nothing to remedy this, and as yet I don't know what will.

You can always try enabling promisc mode for en1. Most machines don't have two LAN ports, but MacPros do and it is very vanilla, and useful, so I encourage you to patch your DSDT to enable your other LAN port. (Or you can enable it as a GIGE port, with benefit I've yet been able to identify.) Either way you will only enjoy one-way or half-assed Bonjour between Macs. This remains an issue.

Regarding LAN issues, does anyone know of a network card that works 100% in SL? I'm not really opposed to just spending the $50 or so for a card if it eliminates LAN issues.

Search for "Realtek 8139" on newegg.com, google, or eBay.

Native OSX (& Windows) support for various brands of this 10/100Mbps PCI NIC.

Several are priced under $10.

I set up Leopard on a USB drive (my iPod) with the iPC distro and dsdt.aml. Boots fine.

Then I booted into Leopard on my internal drive and followed the tutorial and installed Snow Leopard on the USB drive/iPod.

When I try to boot to the USB drive I get the following kernel panic:

npvhash=4095
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri  Jul 31 22:46:25 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64
vm_page_bootstrap: 756443 free pages and 29989 wired pages
kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff8000600000]
standard timeslicing quantum is 1000 us
mig_table_max_displ = 73
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf74): Kernel trap at 0xffffff80004f65c3, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0xffffff80d2ee5fa7, CR3; 0x0000000000100000, CR4: 0x0000000000000660
RAX: 0x000000006576206b, RBX: 0xffffff8008b1a1c0, RCX: 0x0000000009000000, RDX: 0xffffff806d783f3c
RSP: 0xffffff803f0abdb0, RBP: 0xffffff803f0abe20, RSI: 0xffffff80006971e0, RDI: 0x000000006d783f3c
R8:  0x000000006576206c, R9:  0x0000000000000000, R10: 0x0000000000000000, R11  0xffffff80004ee3f8
R12: 0xffffff800fae6580, R13: 0xffffff8000807000, R14: 0xffffff8008b26440, R15: 0xffffff8008b264c0
RFL: 0x0000000000010002, RIP: 0xffffff80004f65c3, CS:  0x0000000000000008, SS:  0x0000000000000080
Error code: 0x0000000000000002

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff803f0aba50 : 0xffffff8000204ae6
0xffffff803f0abb50 : 0xffffff80002cbf74
0xffffff803f0abca0 : 0xffffff80002ddd4a
0xffffff803f0abcb0 : 0xffffff80004f65c3
0xffffff803f0abe20 : 0xffffff80004f09ec
0xffffff803f0abe50 : 0xffffff80006dc893
0xffffff803f0abec0 : 0xffffff80006dcdde
0xffffff803f0abee0 : 0xffffff8000516444
0xffffff803f0abf30 : 0xffffff8000557e2c
0xffffff803f0abf80 : 0xffffff800027cbda
0xffffff803f0abfa0 : 0xffffff80002c3eb7

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri  Jul 31 22:46:25 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64

System uptime in nanoseconds: 48575597

I also got the same/similar panic when I tried to boot to the Snow Leopard “Mac OS X Install DVD” (also from my iPod previous to installing Leopard).

I’ve tried different boot flags with no luck.

I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the iPod. I used it for both attempts and both ended in that panic (I think, I didn't memorize the output when I was trying to boot the install DVD)

- - { also } - -

Is there a way to retrieve the panic output besides typing it up manually? Like a boot log, etc?

Thanks!

Dell Inspiron 1525

Processor: Intel 2 Ghz Dual Core

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

what os is on the imac, snow leopard ?

My iMac is running 10.5.7. Look how lazy I am, I haven't even bothered to upgrade to 10.5.8 :P

Thanks for sharing your experience. My experience might be idiosyncratic.

Of course, on the other hand it's entire possible that my experience is the one out of the ordinary. God knows there's been enough "well that should have worked :o " going on in this thread :)

I still haven't gotten around to trying removing LegacyHDA, I'll try that when I get home tonight -- fell asleep waiting for the DVD to finish converting ;)

screw it, I'm here, lol:

Photo0235.jpg

Boot -v -s -x32, run the following commands (the second command that looks like three lines is actually one line, run it all together):

mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /Extra/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

I actually placed this into a little script called rebuild.sh in /Extra:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Rebuilding /S/L/E kextcache"
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
echo "Repairing permissions on /E/E"
echo "Rebuilding /E/E kextcache"

You might need to create this on your desktop if you're not familiar with the vi editor, then drag it to your /Extra folder

Then open terminal, type "sudo chmod 777 /Extra/rebuild.sh", then whenever you need to rebuild your kextcache, just type "sudo /Extra/rebuild.sh"

If you ever get a kextcache kernel panic, just boot -s -v -x32 and run that script (but don't forget to "mount -uw /" first. I didn't include that in the script because I sometimes run that from my working system with a mounted filesystem, after I install kexts)

found something quite interesting, that shows how Snow Leopard has a good control of the bios...

in energy saver I scheduled a "Start up or wake" time

then I shutdown the computer totally, it amazingly woke up at the scheduled time, I know it would work on a real mac but never expected that feature to work on a hackintosh. I guess the chameleon team really did a good job down to little details

so my wake on lan "issue" really is related to snow leopard / chameleon and not jsut the bios alone, since it has some control over the bios....

edit: Wake on lan actually works when the computer is asleep

(could be since the bonjour fix), still can't wake when computer is totally off, but I usually sleep the computer so

I now consider my setup absolutely perfect for my need, woohoo !!!

Run this after booting with "-v -s -x32"? And the second part is an autorunning script?

Cool beans, I'll run it and get back to ya on it.

mount -uw /

Run this after booting with "-v -s -x32"? And the second part is an autorunning script?

Cool beans, I'll run it and get back to ya on it.

mount -uw /

Yeah, that's correct. Don't worry about the script, only run the part you quoted for now. The second part I wrote up is just a script to make it a little more convenient to do this in the future, but not necessary if you just want to do a one-time kextcache fix like yours. So yes, boot -v -s -x32, and run those in order. If all goes well you should have rebuilt your kextcache and when you boot the first time you won't get the kernel panic.

Also, when you're booting the first time make sure you boot -x32. I can only verify that worked for me, since you're getting the kernel panic in the same place I did at first -- at the setup wizard (judging by your screenshot). Once that's done you can boot x64 if you like.

The ifconfig "fix" of enabling promiscuity mode does work for some applications. However, it will not fully enable the one aspect of Bonjour I enjoy, having other machine's shares appear in the Finder sidebar. Shares of this machine do show in the other machine, but not the other way round. Promiscuity mode does nothing to remedy this, and as yet I don't know what will.

Actually the shuttle could see the mac perfectly, it's just that at my last SL install I didn't activate file sharing...

so in conclusion I don't see where the ifconfig doesn't work

You are, indeed, THE MAN! Such a simple and elegant fix. Now I have my shared libraries in iTunes and can print from my AX printer. I'm 100% working. I bow down to you! :dev:

lol thanks

I'm not looking for any other way to get bonjour, the fix using ifconfig works perfectly well

I fixed my sound issue with dsdt patching but I have a freezing issue... Don't know why it happens but i tried to access the application folder in the dock but it just froze my computer...

BTW I installed everything with your great guide! I patched my dsdt for sound and cmos but sound wasn't working so I took old kext I had from the beta builds that gave me sound : HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAController, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver... I don't know which one causes the sound to work but it works so I don't really care lol unless this is causing the freezing issue...

I also didn't use the efistudio for my graphic card because I have a x1950pro so I use bronya's drivers...

Also my HDD icons seems like removables ones (light blue color) but as long as the freezing issue is gone, I don't care!

I fixed my sound issue with dsdt patching but I have a freezing issue... Don't know why it happens but i tried to access the application folder in the dock but it just froze my computer...

Go to /Applications/Utilities/Console and click on "system log" and paste the middle-end or so here.

Eliade, I added your Bonjour fix to the guide under Troubleshooting : )

I haven't used it myself yet, but plan to in an hour or two (I hate school/hw/college apps -.-)

cool

( edit: you need to reattach the little shell script)

don't worry I'm going to get to your point very soon :D

this is only my first half or the first week of classes, so it's mostly just going over syllabus and all... had a class this morning and have another one this afternoon...

you may want to add the ifconfig and my little shell script to your package in a "bonjour" folder we never know if the author's page will disappear someday, because I think this is going to be the best and final way to get bonjour in Snow Leopard so might as well put it in the next version of the pack

Yeah, that's correct. Don't worry about the script, only run the part you quoted for now. The second part I wrote up is just a script to make it a little more convenient to do this in the future, but not necessary if you just want to do a one-time kextcache fix like yours. So yes, boot -v -s -x32, and run those in order. If all goes well you should have rebuilt your kextcache and when you boot the first time you won't get the kernel panic.

Also, when you're booting the first time make sure you boot -x32. I can only verify that worked for me, since you're getting the kernel panic in the same place I did at first -- at the setup wizard (judging by your screenshot). Once that's done you can boot x64 if you like.

After I put in the second command [the long one AFTER "mount -uw /"], I get an error that reads "Dependency Resolution Failures: No kexts found for these libraries: com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily"

Can I do these commands in Leo? or better, how would I make that script and run it [just in case]?

took a leap, rushed through set up [like i needed to think], and got to the desktop, immediately went to check if my stuff was properly installed, [serial-ATA was installed using Leo kexts :D]. When I clicked on the network dropdown part of the menus, I got a kernel panic referencing "mdworker"

But hey, I got the desktop and moved the highlight box around a bit :)

[will post picture after class]

took a leap, rushed through set up [like i needed to think], and got to the desktop, immediately went to check if my stuff was properly installed, [serial-ATA was installed using Leo kexts :( ]. When I clicked on the network dropdown part of the menus, I got a kernel panic referencing "mdworker"

But hey, I got the desktop and moved the highlight box around a bit :P

[will post picture after class]

mdworker is good! That's SUPER easy to fix, it's just Spotlight's indexing service. You can either boot SL and go to System Preferences>Spotlight and add all your drives to the "Private" list temporarily while you rebuild the kextcache with Kext Utility, or you can just boot with -s and do it with some terminal commands. If you have a working Leopard installation, just add all your drives to "Private" in Leopard and THEN boot into SL and rebuild kext cache.

Sep 1 14:58:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

Sep 1 14:58:49 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***

Sep 1 14:58:52 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:52 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:52 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:52 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost blued[42]: Apple Bluetooth daemon started

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:57 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:02: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:58:58 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�^K�^D".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:58:59 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:00 localhost bootlog[41]: BOOT_TIME: 1251831529 0

Sep 1 14:59:01 localhost mDNSResponder[30]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) starting

Sep 1 14:59:01 localhost com.apple.usbmuxd[24]: usbmuxd-167.1 built for iTunesEightTwo on Jul 9 2009 at 14:02:00, running 32 bit

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:02 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:02: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:03: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:06 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:06: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:07: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:07: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[31]: Login Window Application Started

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sep 1 14:59:07 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sep 1 14:59:12: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:12 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�Ԧ^D���^D".

Sep 1 14:59:12 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "����".

Sep 1 14:59:12 localhost /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��������".

Sep 1 14:59:14 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro configd[13]: setting hostname to "Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro.local"

Sep 1 14:59:14 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro configd[13]: network configuration changed.

Sep 1 14:59:25: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro loginwindow[31]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro loginwindow[31]: Login Window - Returned from Security Agent

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro loginwindow[31]: USER_PROCESS: 31 console

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[83] (com.apple.ReportCrash): Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro /usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�^Q\n".

Sep 1 14:59:25 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro SystemUIServer[88]: Could not find image named 'TMDisk'.

Sep 1 14:59:26 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Memory allocation failure.

Sep 1 14:59:26 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not found for client path request.

Sep 1 14:59:26 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Memory allocation failure.

Sep 1 14:59:26 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not found for client path request.

Sep 1 14:59:28 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[83] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[122]): Exited with exit code: 1

Sep 1 14:59:28 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[83] (com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-imheretostay@me.com-SharedServices[125]): Exited with exit code: 1

Sep 1 14:59:39 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro warmd[23]: [fetcher_open_file:936] open("/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64") => -1 (errno: 2)

Sep 1 14:59:39 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro warmd[23]: [fetcher_open_file:936] open("/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386") => -1 (errno: 2)

Sep 1 15:00:23 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro WindowServer[62]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Sep 1 15:00:23 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.WindowServer[62]: Tue Sep 1 15:00:23 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro.local WindowServer[62] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Sep 1 15:03:02 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro kextd[10]: updated kernel boot caches

Sep 1 15:05:42 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[186]: .sdef warning for argument 'FileType' of command 'save' in suite 'Standard Suite': 'saveable file format' is not a valid type name.

Sep 1 15:06:33 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro Software Update[166]: SWU: scan found 1 products:\n061-5337

Sep 1 15:06:45 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Memory allocation failure.

Sep 1 15:06:45 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not found for client path request.

Sep 1 15:06:45 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro SecurityAgent[194]: system.privilege.admin|2009-09-01 15:06:45 -0400

Sep 1 15:06:51 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.suhelperd[168]): Exited with exit code: 2

Sep 1 15:08:56 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextcache[138]: InternalModemSupport.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sep 1 15:09:03: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Sep 1 15:09:03 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextcache[138]: Created prelinked kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache_i386.8602B51D.

Sep 1 15:09:28 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro /System/Library/CoreServices/CCacheServer.app/Contents/MacOS/CCacheServer[127]: No valid tickets, timing out

Sep 1 15:11:01 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[186]: disableSystemSleep 1

Sep 1 15:11:01 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[186]: IOPMAssertionCreateWithName

Sep 1 15:11:35 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro hdiejectd[215]: running

Sep 1 15:11:36 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Memory allocation failure.

Sep 1 15:11:36 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not found for client path request.

Sep 1 15:11:38 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Memory allocation failure.

Sep 1 15:11:38 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily not found for client path request.

Sep 1 15:11:58 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro /System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Resources/QTKitServer[236]: spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=1 label=[0x0-0x1e01e].org.perian.Perian path=/Users/imheretostay/Library/PreferencePanes/Perian.prefPane/Contents/Resources/PerianUpdateChecker.app/Contents/MacOS/PerianUpdateChecker flags=1

Sep 1 15:11:58 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro sandboxd[237]: QTKitServer(236) deny job-creation

Sep 1 15:13:08 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro UnmountAssistant[257]: Volume unmounted successfully

Sep 1 15:13:18 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro hdiejectd[215]: quitCheck: calling exit(0)

Sep 1 15:13:34 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[186]: enableSystemSleep 0

Sep 1 15:13:34 Jean-Benoit-Cotes-Mac-Pro QuickTime Player[186]: IOPMAssertionRelease

Sep 1 17:25:48 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

Sep 1 17:25:51 localhost DirectoryService[15]: Improper shutdown detected

Sep 1 17:25:56 localhost fseventsd[31]: event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume.

Sure, I have the same card!

I am assuming that you have done the method described in this guide...

I followed these instructions..

How to add EFI String:

1. Open OSx86Tools

2. Click Add EFI String

3. Click GFX Strings

4. Choose Custom GeForce from list

5. Input name (GTX260, GTX280, it's just a name so it really doesn't matter)

6. If VRAM size isn't in list, select Custom and input it in hex (0x00000038 is 896 MB)

and follow steps 7-18.

* If VRAM size IS in the list then do step 7 and then skip to 16 -> and follow the directions *

7. Select type of connectors your card has (most likely DVI-I / DVI-I)

8. Save as XML

9. Open PlistEdit Pro and load the saved XML .plist file.

10. Select VRAM, look what number is in it (mainly the last two numbers, which can be something like 20 for 512 MB, 38 for 896 MB and so on), change VRAM data type to Data (instead of string) and type 000000 and the last two numbers from the previous VRAM string (00000038 for example). Now it should read something like "4 bytes: 00000038.

11. Save the file.

12. Open OSx86Tools again.

13. Click Add EFI String

14. Click Import Hex/Plist

15. Click Import File and select your plist

16. Click Import String to boot editor

17. Click Apply changes to boot.plist (NOTE! This will overwrite the boot.plist so if you have some other customizations done to it you want to use Save as Hex after step 15 and then manually copy&paste the hex to the <key>device-properties</key><string>COPY HEX HERE</string> in boot.plist)

18. Check Repair permissions and Clear Extension cache in OSx86Tools main screen and click Run Selected Tasks

Hey BillaBongo, i tried this method but it doesn't seem to work for me. This is what shows up in system profiler for my card. Do you have any suggestions ?

rh1n4y.png

mdworker is good! That's SUPER easy to fix, it's just Spotlight's indexing service. You can either boot SL and go to System Preferences>Spotlight and add all your drives to the "Private" list temporarily while you rebuild the kextcache with Kext Utility, or you can just boot with -s and do it with some terminal commands. If you have a working Leopard installation, just add all your drives to "Private" in Leopard and THEN boot into SL and rebuild kext cache.

:P OF ALL THINGS I FORGOT *facepalm.jpeg*

How can I do it with terminal commands? [i've got 4+drives] Also, when you say "do it in Leo"....well I get lost there ;) [i've never used Spotlight, I only really use QuickSilver]

Hey BillaBongo, i tried this method but it doesn't seem to work for me. This is what shows up in system profiler for my card. Do you have any suggestions ?

rh1n4y.png

Well other than the Vram total being a crazy # It looks to me like it works.

Have you checked the display icon in system preferences for all the resolutions you should have?

I would guess yours is working as your showing it ;)

Just a correction on the VRAM size setting should be all that is needed

How much ram does your gtx260 have?

Outputs on back of card (such as VGA/DVI or DVI - DVI)?

You did very good as you have the EFI code in the system !

Attach you boot.plist as a file (not a paste) from /extra folder and I will modify it for you, if you like.

:o OF ALL THINGS I FORGOT *facepalm.jpeg*

How can I do it with terminal commands? [i've got 4+drives] Also, when you say "do it in Leo"....well I get lost there :P [i've never used Spotlight, I only really use QuickSilver]

Ehh I had like 6 drives to do and it was easy (you just have to make sure u dash to that preferences when it boots up. Otherwise, you can boot up a working Leopard installation on the same computer and make the drives "private" using Leopard. It puts a small marker file on each of the volumes saying they're private and SL reads that so it's an alternative to doing hastily in SL.

Otherwise in Single User mode, you can just do

rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext

This will delete the kextcache, and it should automatically make a new one on reboot.

Well other than the Vram total being a crazy # It looks to me like it works.

Have you checked the display icon in system preferences for all the resolutions you should have?

I would guess yours is working as your showing it ;)

Just a correction on the VRAM size setting should be all that is needed

How much ram does your gtx260 have?

Outputs on back of card (such as VGA/DVI or DVI - DVI)?

You did very good as you have the EFI code in the system !

Rofl that's quite a lot of VRAM, perhaps too much for everyday uses?

Just check your hex code for the RAM... Anyways, SL doesn't show QE/CI, but if your menu bar is translucent and you have all the resolutions available under System Preferences>Displays then your graphics are 100% functional : )

@IMHERETOSTAY

I won't quote that because it's way too long. Next time PLEASE wrap it in [ CODE ] tags...

Anyways try rebuilding your kextcache for starters. Also try to describe your entire configuration as best you can, it will allow me to better understand if there's a problem.

rh1n4y.png

LOL, GTX260 Government Issue Black Edition

Ehh I had like 6 drives to do and it was easy (you just have to make sure u dash to that preferences when it boots up. Otherwise, you can boot up a working Leopard installation on the same computer and make the drives "private" using Leopard. It puts a small marker file on each of the volumes saying they're private and SL reads that so it's an alternative to doing hastily in SL.

Otherwise in Single User mode, you can just do

rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext

This will delete the kextcache, and it should automatically make a new one on reboot.

Alrighty, lets see what happens :D