[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Well other than the Vram total being a crazy # It looks to me like it works.

Have you checked the display icon in system preferences for all the resolutions you should have?

I would guess yours is working as your showing it :D

Just a correction on the VRAM size setting should be all that is needed

How much ram does your gtx260 have?

Outputs on back of card (such as VGA/DVI or DVI - DVI)?

You did very good as you have the EFI code in the system !

Attach you boot.plist as a file (not a paste) from /extra folder and I will modify it for you, if you like.

Thank you for your response. The card has 898MB and its DVI - DV. If you could modify it that would be great! Here is the link to my boot.plist

plist

Hey Dan, I have followed your thread to the dot as far as Know. SL is working great, stable and reliable. I did have to touch the extension folder in single user mode to stop the KPs. Everything is working BUT the audio. And thats the only part where I find the guide very confusing. What I did is patch the DSDT with the HDEF info. Made the changes in the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and added the LegacyHDA to E/E. Not working. I get the device id on system profiler and nothing more. What I dont understand is what are cedec dumps and verbs for in the SL folder you upleaded? Am I missing a whole patching section to the guide?

I am asking this becuase its a real shame to have SL working beautifly but yet have no sound. By the way my mobo is the EP45T (DDR3 Version). But in 10.5.8 it works fine, I do have like 3 Kexts in my E/E in 10.5.8 plus enebaler and inject.

If you could guide to where to trouble shoot I would greatly apriciate it. Also tried vanilla AppleHDA and patched one according to the PDF in you guide

REPLY:

{QUOTE} I will say (to start) that you need to make 0 modifications to /S/L/E audio kexts. Next, you need to make sure you have only LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E (in terms of audio kexts). Once you have ONLY LegacyHDA (make sure you try different ones if the one in my preset /E/E in my pack doesn't work), make sure your DSDT is correct if audio still doesn't work.

Start from scratch and realize you can't JUST change AZAL to HDEF, you have to ensure the device id/codec id are correct. All of the information is in the guide attached inside my SL Pack. It has worked for many, many people, so don't give up so fast. You can try my DSDT, but I have an EP45-UD3R v1.1 (Socket 775/DDR2) so it probably won't work. You CAN, however, use iaslMe to decompile my DSDT and look at the differences between yours and mine (there are programs to compare the differences in text files side by side (someone mentioned one on my thread, but I forgot the name). {QUOTE}

Just lol'd

Glad I could help XP

Anyways, running those commands [both of them] say "No such file or directory" Upon inspection, they're not there.....wat? But I'm sitting on the desktop with 32MB of vRAM for my 512per core card >.< and no LAN [no ethernet port is detected].

Glad I could help XP

Anyways, running those commands [both of them] say "No such file or directory" Upon inspection, they're not there.....wat? But I'm sitting on the desktop with 32MB of vRAM for my 512per core card >.< and no LAN [no ethernet port is detected].

That's odd... If you're sitting at the desktop though, just use Kext Utility to rebuild the kextcache...

d00m42, in the SL Pack folder you have the How to patch DSDT folder and inside a zip file with How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions including LegacyHDA which contains How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions including LegacyHDA.pdf. At the same time you have a How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions.pdf which donst have the section "Make it simple by copy and paste" after compiling the DSDT. Thats where I am confused. Am I supose to skip that section? is that for AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E or just for the LegacyHDA.kext in E/E? What about the codec dumps and verbs? are we suposed to use that?

Thanks

Im doing the DSDT from scratch AGAIN just in case the last one had a mistake, Ill post the results

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who has added to this guide. SO much help and good info.

I've messed my first two installs up due to...well me..ha. So i have this install all staged and ready for the first boot. I work from home and Leo is my main workstation...hence me waiting until i'm off my shift.

Couple things i wanted to touch upon:

1. Sadly I have not found a thread for my board/chipset Foxconn G33M(board from a pre-built gateway). Though it seems everything is FAIRLY similar. If anyone has any tips kexts, etc it would be appreciated.

2. I <3 my ps/2 keyboard. I really haven't seen any kexts/fixes...threads even about it. Not vital, I have USB keyboards laying around...i just like the one i use...haha

I guess i'll hit this thread backup after i get it going.

Thanks again!

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who has added to this guide. SO much help and good info.

I've messed my first two installs up due to...well me..ha. So i have this install all staged and ready for the first boot. I work from home and Leo is my main workstation...hence me waiting until i'm off my shift.

Couple things i wanted to touch upon:

1. Sadly I have not found a thread for my board/chipset Foxconn G33M(board from a pre-built gateway). Though it seems everything is FAIRLY similar. If anyone has any tips kexts, etc it would be appreciated.

2. I <3 my ps/2 keyboard. I really haven't seen any kexts/fixes...threads even about it. Not vital, I have USB keyboards laying around...i just like the one i use...haha

I guess i'll hit this thread backup after i get it going.

Thanks again!

Can't you use your PS2 kexts from Leo? In any event, here's mine:

http://uppit.com/v/W5ZKLXAI

So the kext utility deffo didn't do anything, it still panics from Spotlight with drives not private. And I still need to fix the vRAM from 32MB to 512MB [it gets really laggy] and it currently has no internet and no noticing of my very own ethernet ports. My mouse also blinks some times, but I think that has to do with the video drivers. Ideas? :3

Is there a way to edit the boot loader to be on a timer?

I know with installing Chameleon2 it has a bar that times out and picks a partition to boot. Is there a way to configure the PC EFI 10.1 install included with this to do that?

Or for that matter, does Chameleon 2 RC2 work as claimed for auto detecting video, network, etc?

Guide updated to v1.25, includes a USB Installation Method guide by nullspot (found quoted at end of post), and Eliade's post of the Bonjour Fix! SL Pack at v4 if you didn't already know (contains files for Bonjour Fix).

This weekend if I have the time, I will completely redo the entire guide to make it flow better with all of the changes integrated (ie. Troubleshooting stuff built into main guide + USB method and better Pack organization). I'll probably just jump to v2.0. If I get around to doing it, it should be HUGE for everyone currently having problems, as I've had enough feedback to address many of the current problems. Keep in mind this guide is DESIGNED for the EP45-UD3X series, but anyone with similar hardware is welcome to try (and their problems won't be ignored.

Unfortunately I am EXTREMELY busy during the week, so I don't have too much time to answer questions then, but I'll do my best!

Also, I haven't used the USB Installation Method that nullspot described myself, but I will attempt to install SL on my MSI Wind U100 Netbook this Friday/weekend, and I should be able to more clearly describe everything related to that method after I've used it (as the Wind has no optical drive, I'd have to use a USB device anyways >.<)

Dan

@baller2319

Here you go, created a new EFI string with the corrected HEX code :)

throw it in /extra and reboot, let me know how it does. Should be perfect :)

Aww you had to kill the GTX 260 Government Issue Black Edition : (

This may not have anything to do with SL, but has anyone else noticed poor CDROM performance? I am currently trying to upgrade my "production" install from 10.5.8 by running the Installer from the SL retail DVD. It took forever until it got to the point where it wanted to restart from the target disk.... which of course would not work. So I rebooted into my vanilla SL and ran OSInstall.mpkg, which is also running verrrryyyyy slooowwwww :)

thanks for adding my "usb method" guide - though I have to give full credit to Eliade for the inspiration - he posted it first (I just fleshed it out)...

FYI - I've only tested the method on the GA-EP45-UD3R. If you're using any other mobo, you will need to figure out your DSDT, com.apple.boot.plist, kexts, etc. specific to your board - but the *install method* should work for anyone, theoretically. It's all about creating an install experience that's as "vanilla" as possible...

Maybe it could work this way:

Using a revised generic "boot 132" bootable CD, a blank 8 Gb USB memory stick, and the retail DVD:

Boot from the (new version) generic boot CD, that would auto-detect & write customized files (specific to the user hardware present) to then make a bootable USB drive.

Remove the CD & reboot from the new USB drive.

Insert retail SL DVD and continue with Snow Leopard customized install onto hard drive.

In other words: automate all of the "insert video card ID string into file", detect LAN present and write code to file,

detect audio chip and write code to file & etc. So that: even a newby (or a blind person) could install SL on pretty much

ANY Intel Core CPU machine.

Maybe it could work this way:

Using a revised generic "boot 132" bootable CD, a blank 8 Gb USB memory stick, and the retail DVD:

Boot from the (new version) generic boot CD, that would auto-detect & write customized files (specific to the user hardware present) to then make a bootable USB drive.

Remove the CD & reboot from the new USB drive.

Insert retail SL DVD and continue with Snow Leopard customized install onto hard drive.

In other words: automate all of the "insert video card ID string into file", detect LAN present and write code to file,

detect audio chip and write code to file & etc. So that: even a newby (or a blind person) could install SL on pretty much

ANY Intel Core CPU machine.

Ok, so you're going to code all of this?

Exactly. Yes that would be useful, but in the end it's not THAT hard to do it this way, and it would be a bigger pain to hear 50,000 noobs complain that something doesn't work right when you're providing the ultimate spoonfeeding. Better they LEARN what DSDT is, and LEARN how simple it is to insert an EFI string into com.apple.Boot.plist, and UNDERSTAND what the hell they're doing to their computer before they do it.

It's been that way for the longest time with OSx86, and I have a feeling it will continue to be that way.

Not saying that's not a good idea, but I don't think we have the support for something THAT extensive at the moment. Let's get everyone who has the guts to try SL to have it near perfection if not perfection before something like that.