[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Since I began using my new SL installation, I just realized bonjour is not working. I have a UD3P I found a link to an ifconfig download that people said fixed it, but it requires that i have en0, but the only port I can get working seems to be en1... Anyone have any ideas?

Both ports work on my UD3P. The DSDT fix needs to be applied to both ports. I ran my DSDT through koalala's patcher twice (for the LANs at PEX4 and PEX5), as it can only mend one LAN at a time, but you are welcome to manually fix yours as you like. Koalala's tool is a great time saver though it requires booting into Windows. I've been using it for quite some time. Your call.

The ifconfig "fix" of enabling promiscuity mode does work for some applications. However, it will not fully enable the one aspect of Bonjour I enjoy, having other machine's shares appear in the Finder sidebar. Shares of this machine do show in the other machine, but not the other way round. Promiscuity mode does nothing to remedy this, and as yet I don't know what will.

You can always try enabling promisc mode for en1. Most machines don't have two LAN ports, but MacPros do and it is very vanilla, and useful, so I encourage you to patch your DSDT to enable your other LAN port. (Or you can enable it as a GIGE port, with benefit I've yet been able to identify.) Either way you will only enjoy one-way or half-assed Bonjour between Macs. This remains an issue.

for IDE support you need a good mkext in your extra folder, it won't run without the mkext, but to create an mkext you would preferably be in Snow leopard so you are kind of stuck

try mine and see how it goes, just place it in /Extra/

smbios.plist.zip

Thank you, Eliade. Is this for x64? I probably should have specified that in this post, but I did in my earlier one. x32 works almost perfectly. I have 10.5.8 running from 500gb sata and 10.6.0 running from 80GB IDE

The ifconfig "fix" of enabling promiscuity mode does work for some applications. However, it will not fully enable the one aspect of Bonjour I enjoy, having other machine's shares appear in the Finder sidebar. Shares of this machine do show in the other machine, but not the other way round. Promiscuity mode does nothing to remedy this, and as yet I don't know what will.

Au contraire, I see it as working perfectly on my end between a real iMac and my "Mac Pro" Hack Pro

2hia0s3.png

2jg2hya.png

I can authenticate, browse all files/folders, copy files across in both directions, on both machines. They're both plugged into the same switch, so there's no complex routing going on. I'll flip the switch on my MDD G4 tomorrow and see if it can see/mount the same.

I followed the instructions step by step.

When i get to the Darwin bootloader i have hte option to choose my leopard or snow leopard.

I choose snow leopard and type -v -x32 it says loading mach kernel and then goes to a black screen and does nothing else besides a blank black screen.

Any ideas?

I JUST had the same problem a page back.

install pc efi 10 form the pack onto a usb stick, boot form that and choose the drive you installed snow to and it'll boot

don't forget the -v -x32

EDIT: thank to Eliade, she provided that solution :)

Using the layout-id and codec-id that you gave me, when I booted with the LegacyHDA that came in the SLPackV3.zip/Extra/Extensions/ folder I saw no audio devices in sysprefs.

When I removed that LegacyHDA, replaced it with LegacyHDA from SLPackV3.zip/DSDT Stuff/How to Patch DSDT/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3outs2ins regular headphone/ and rebooted (still using your codec-id and layout-id), I now have:

External Microphone: Built-in Output

Line Out: Built-in Line Output

Digital Out: Built-in Digital Output

(None): Built in Microphone

Line In: Built-in Line Input

Digital In: Built-in Digital Input

as my in/out devices.

I'm sure this isn't perfect since I'm not exactly sure how a microphone can be an output, and I haven't actually tested analog output on my green jack. I guess I should, but I'm just happy digital is working. I might try a different layout-id when I'm feeling more adventurous, but for now I'm just enjoying playing movies and such :)

Again, thanks for all your help!

Martytoff:

Thank you for the details, that's where the devil or god or someone or something always resides, eh?

"(None)" and other names can be changed with a simple plist and without much fuss. There's a thread somewhere about just that issue.

So you have the original AppleHDA and a LegacyHDA? I would wager if you remove the LegacyHDA you installed you will have the same sound outcome. That is my setup, just the layout-id in the DSDT and an untouched Snow audio: no LegacyHDA or kexts or anything, just the layout-id. Removing the other one was the key in allowing the layout-id to function. Could you please try removing just the 3outs2in LegacyHDA you installed, delete the extensions.mkext, clear the caches and reboot? In other words, revert to the vanilla snow audio. You have 3outs3ins just like I do with the vanilla audio, not the 3outs2ins the LegacyHDA should produce. It's not doing anything. With this layout-id and no LegacyHDA the song should remain the same.

My green jack produces analog and I'm sure yours does too; there's no need to test it. It's great to know the digital out works with this layout-id, though I suspected as much since the light is on. Thank you for the response.

Thank you, Eliade. Is this for x64? I probably should have specified that in this post, but I did in my earlier one. x32 works almost perfectly. I have 10.5.8 running from 500gb sata and 10.6.0 running from 80GB IDE

this mkext was compiled in 64bit mode,

but my computer works just as well in 32bit with the same mkext

but if your SL is running in 32 I don't understand why not in 64bit, in that case I don't think the mkext will do a difference, but I suppose you do absolutely need one, and probably had one

you can compile a new one just by running kext utility it will make one just for you ion the Extra folder

Well i'm booted into snow leopard now for the first time. Thanks to your guide. I have a DFI Infinity 975x board.

I'm just using your DSDT file even though my board is different. Just to see if it would even boot and it did. Ethernet has always worked for me out of the box no matter which version of OSX i've installed so that's never been an issue.

I don't have audio working. Typically I just use the apple azalia audio.

My video card isn't working. Well I do get a display but I can't change the resolution. Card is a Nvidia 9800GTX. Typically when installing leopard I just use efi studio and add the efi string. Just as your guide says to do and I did that but still it doesn't work.

Once booted into Snow Leopard I also tried to use efi studio to add it to the com.apple.boot.plist and still no luck.

Also, about this mac is not working. It just resets the desktop.

It also won't recognize my keyboard. Which just happens to be the apple aluminum keyboard!

So it seems I still have more work to do. But at least i'm booted into snow leopard.

GREAT

run kext utility (in the pack)

then it should not crash anymore due to permission, well it all depends what method you used to install it

no matter the method run that utility anyway

good luck

LOL tried to but snow wont accept the admin password which I set 2 mins ago, tried to boot the DVD and reset the password through there. it said that it did it but it didn't work so I erased the HD and i'm doing it all over again. almost though the install now

LOL tried to but snow wont accept the admin password which I set 2 mins ago, tried to boot the DVD and reset the password through there. it said that it did it but it didn't work so I erased the HD and i'm doing it all over again. almost though the install now

LOL, I went through the install process of Snow Leopard probably over ten times.... :)

I would wager if you remove the LegacyHDA you installed you will have the same sound outcome. That is my setup, just the layout-id in the DSDT and an untouched Snow audio: no LegacyHDA or kexts or anything, just the layout-id. Removing the other one was the key in allowing the layout-id to function. Could you please try removing just the 3outs2in LegacyHDA you installed, delete the extensions.mkext, clear the caches and reboot? In other words, revert to the vanilla snow audio. You have 3outs3ins just like I do with the vanilla audio, not the 3outs2ins the LegacyHDA should produce. It's not doing anything. With this layout-id and no LegacyHDA the song should remain the same.

I'll give that a test in 20 or so minutes when this Handbrake encode finishes. I'm putting the machine through its' paces by encoding a few DVDs I've got lying around. I'd be pretty stoked if this ran without anything on stock Apple kexts, just one less thing to worry about when/if I need to rebuild at some point :)

strange but true

before the "hack", my other hackintosh (shuttle 45 running 10.5.8) could see the UD3R perfectly well

after the hack now the UD3R sees the shuttle k45 very well, but the shuttle doesn't see the UD3R anymore

but the UD3R being my main machine I'll keep the hack

well I guess I'll have to find another route for bonjour someday

Au contraire, I see it as working perfectly on my end between a real iMac and my "Mac Pro" Hack Pro

2hia0s3.png

2jg2hya.png

I can authenticate, browse all files/folders, copy files across in both directions, on both machines. They're both plugged into the same switch, so there's no complex routing going on. I'll flip the switch on my MDD G4 tomorrow and see if it can see/mount the same.

what os is on the imac, snow leopard ?

2hia0s3.png

2jg2hya.png

Martytoff:

I could be wrong on this one in a way. Don't have the retail version yet, still running an earlier iteration. Had the one way Bonjour issue in 10.5.8 with the DSDT enabled LANs on my UD3P build, and it persisted through the various Snow iterations. Enabling promisc mode did not resolve it. It might resolve with the installation of the retail release. I'll know tomorrow when I get my retail disc, and edit my post accordingly. I don't want to publish erroneous information.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My experience might be idiosyncratic.

Ok looks ok, anything else to note? I heard about some KP after update or something like that? (I read the entire 20 page topic before posting)

some people did, I never had any issues with that, just try it you'll see

issues I had and someone else did too

is itunes running fine in one mode but would ask for the agreement on the other mode all the time...

after another install of SL here is what I did I don't know if that fixed it, but I don't have the problem

don't transfer any music to the itunes folder yet (which is what I had done when it didn't work well), don't connect any ipod....

start in 64bit mode, run itunes, accept agreement etc.... let it breath for a minute

then quit itunes (actually quit it, which I didn't do when I had the problem), start it again let it breath 10second and quit it (maybe during shutdown itune didn't quit well before, so now at least it's off before you shutdown your computer)

reboot in 32bit, itunes just started without trouble

I restarted in 64 bit mode and only then I transferred my itunes folder with my music and libraries, then connect my ipod

at least now itunes runs great in both 32 and 64, wether itunes is running or not during shutdown doesn't matter afterwards

and little snitch may kernel panic your system, haven't tried again yet

Hey Eliade,

Thanks again for your help. I had the identical smbios file as you except for my UUID and specific speed settings. It looked like it might have gotten hung up on firewire so I rebooted and tried that, but it just omitted that and still waiting for root device.

I may get brave enough here to install on my main SATA drive, and see if I get the same thing.

what mods did you do to your dsdt

in your case I would boot leo generate a new dsdt, fix that RTC and that's it ... to minimize any problem you may have related to a dsdt

I suppose you have the good chameleon loading at boot with the SL kext, right?

then I would believe this is due to your nforce chipset, try to find a thread dealing with a nforce 7xx chipset and see where they are at in term of SL, you may need a modified kernel

I don't know if your hardware is fit to run the vanilla kernel

in Leo do you know if you are running a vanilla kernel pr a modified one?

No mods, but I'm using the chameleon from the pack d00m put up [very nice looking, lol].

What I did [as a test] was I made a backup of my extensions folder [on the SL partition], and copied all ATA drivers from my current Leo install. booted with "-v -f -x32" and it booted with the intro video being extremely jumpy. I got to the initial OS setup, and got a kernel panic referencing the kextcache, I'll post a pic tomorrow, it's crazy late here.

As for vanilla kernel...not sure, on the iPC install, I was told to select "Voodoo" so I did and I'm using the Voodoo bootstrap or somethn' that Voodoo requires.

-=EDIT=-

screw it, I'm here, lol:

Photo0235.jpg

[lol, in Win7 I was hitting "WinKey+C" to copy XD]

If my ATA drivers worked....chances of my graphics drivers working? I think that's what caused the jumpiness in the "Welcome" video. Also My mouse blinked for quite a bit and lagged once I got mouse control, not sure what it could be [gfx drivers? *shrug*]

strange but true

before the "hack", my other hackintosh (shuttle 45 running 10.5.8) could see the UD3R perfectly well

after the hack now the UD3R sees the shuttle k45 very well, but the shuttle doesn't see the UD3R anymore

but the UD3R being my main machine I'll keep the hack

well I guess I'll have to find another route for bonjour someday

what os is on the imac, snow leopard ?

Eliade:

Have you tried enabling promisc mode on the shuttle? Is the shuttle running R1000 or using the DSDT approach?

I've been trying various tacks with my similar two hack setup with no success. Strangely our situations are not consistent. My UD3P with Snow can't see the shares on my other machine with 10.5.7, while your UD3R with Snow can't be seen by your shuttle with 10.5.8, so I don't think it an issue with Leopard iterations, unless, as you suggest, Snow needs to be on both machines and both machines have to be in promisc mode? Some apps automatically put the machine into promiscuity mode. Curious. Thanks for reporting your results.

I followed this guide on my P35-DS3P and it worked perfectly. So far everything (sleep, restart, shutdown, ethernet, graphics) is working apart from sound. But I'm sure that will be easy to fix :D

Thanks!!!!!

Has anyone got soft RAID working? I've tried it a few different ways but no luck. I'm guessing PC EFI v10.1 doesn't support soft raid? I've got my 10.5.8 install working great with soft raid and Chameleon 2rc1 but 2rc1 doesn't work with Snow right?

Eliade:

Have you tried enabling promisc mode on the shuttle? Is the shuttle running R1000 or using the DSDT approach?

I've been trying various tacks with my similar two hack setup with no success. Strangely our situations are not consistent. My UD3P with Snow can't see the shares on my other machine with 10.5.7, while your UD3R with Snow can't be seen by your shuttle with 10.5.8, so I don't think it an issue with Leopard iterations, unless, as you suggest, Snow needs to be on both machines and both machines have to be in promisc mode? Some apps automatically put the machine into promiscuity mode. Curious. Thanks for reporting your results.

no I'll try the promisc mode on the shuttle, shuttle has a dsdt but only to have graphic acceleration (all the kext for GMA950 Desktop version were messed up, dsdt fixed it)

for ethernet I only have to use ionetworkingfamiliy

bonjour works great on this machine cause it will see my ipod touch through wifi (when ssh in enabled)

both itunes library can see the other, shuttle can still see UD3R itunes library and other way around too

edit: turning promisc on, on the shuttle, didn't any behavior anywere

Just a quick question. If the Realtek1000 kext makes bonjour work, why not just use that instead of the ifconfig hack?

Is the Realtek kext not 64bit or something?

no it's not 64bit, and it was suggested that even the 32bit version isn't that great, don't know much more (maybe I will go back to using that, which I did in leopard)

there's a64bit version but very unstable and may screw up your LAN <-> Bios relationship, LAN not being seen by the bios anymore (CMOS reset will fix that in case if it happens, haven't experienced it myself but read it on the forum)

Has anyone got soft RAID working? I've tried it a few different ways but no luck. I'm guessing PC EFI v10.1 doesn't support soft raid? I've got my 10.5.8 install working great with soft raid and Chameleon 2rc1 but 2rc1 doesn't work with Snow right?

chameleon 2 rc1 can be installed, but you'll need to replace the boot file, probably the same boot file included in this SL pack through the installer

Regarding LAN issues, does anyone know of a network card that works 100% in SL? I'm not really opposed to just spending the $50 or so for a card if it eliminates LAN issues.

Also, looks like my speed issue was not SL related after all. I rebooted my server and it was fine. (It was Windows' fault, go figure! lol)

WHO WANTS BONJOUR AT BOOT automatically (32bit and 64bt) using the fix I found earlier (for those that don't have bonjour working by default like me, I'm sure it's most of you)

so there goes

download ifconfig:http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/

or direct link: http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/ifconfig.tgz

if you don't want to run the command line manually, having it at boot without any prompt

place ifconfig anywhere you want

(I created a bonjour directory in the Extra folder for organization sake)

then add this script where every you want ifconfig.command.zip

(have mine again in that same bonjour directory)

modify it with textedit or whatever to point to your ifconfig

mine is set to be in /Extra/Bonjour/ifconfig

then open the terminal and paste this, well change the path to the script wherever you want it to be

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Extra/bonjour/ifconfig.command

type your password at prompt

now reboot, bonjour works at boot without further intervention

ENJOY

You are, indeed, THE MAN! Such a simple and elegant fix. Now I have my shared libraries in iTunes and can print from my AX printer. I'm 100% working. I bow down to you! ;)

I have a GA-P35-DS4 board, which has ALC889a audio and Realtek 8111B ethernet. Following this guide, almost everything works except the ASUS WL138g V2 wireless card.

In Leopard, ASUS WL138g V2 wireless card works out-of-box and is detected as Airport.

In Snow Leopard, however, it is only detected if DSDT.aml is removed from /Extra.

I have tried various possibilities:

1) DSDT.aml with only RTC fix

2) DSDT.aml with only sound fix

3) DSDT.aml with only ethernet fix

Otherwise, with DSDT.aml, RTC/sound/ethernet works perfectly.

Booting with kernel flags arch=i386 or -x32 did not help.

Anyone has similar problem and would like to share your experience? Thanks!