10.5.7 Released

425 posts in this topic

To all with wrong info in System Profiler and About This Mac - install Chameleon 2.0 and use smbios.plist in /extra. Make sure you have a clean, unmodified AppleSMBIOS.kext from 10.5.7, and that you have no SMBIOS Injectors installed, also check that your com.apple.Boot.plist in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration is clean, like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

With Chameleon 2.0 installed, you'll want to be using com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra.

I'm guessing that your info is wrong on 10.5.7 because the update overwrote your patched AppleSMBIOS.kext or other patched files you were using to fix it.

Here is my smbios.plist, currently set up as iMac9,1. Edit as needed.

You can find memory serial numbers and info with CPU-Z in Windows. The _1 and _3 denotes memory slot, memory type 19 is DDR2, 18 is DDR. DDR3 must be 20 then, I guess.

Be sure to edit RAM info, CPU and bus frequencies to match your hardware. Also, other Mac models may need different string values. Use google or the forum search to find them, if you don't want your frankentosh to be an iMac9,1.

Some information here, courtesy of OSx86 superhero David F. Elliott: http://pastie.org/333621.txt - search with google for proper Apple serials if you want one.

Note of the odd spelling of 'manufacturer', it must be spelled 'manufacter' for the settings to take, and the capitalization must match, ie SMxxxxx.

Copy and paste the whole thing into textedit or whatever, make your modifications and save it as smbios.plist in /extra.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>SMbiosvendor</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>
 <key>SMbiosversion</key>
 <string>IM91.88Z.008D.B00.0901142258</string> (this must match your SMproductname)
 <key>SMmanufacter</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>
 <key>SMproductname</key>
 <string>iMac9,1</string>
 <key>SMsystemversion</key>
 <string>1.0</string>
 <key>SMserial</key> (I don't know if there are other possible values than 1.0)
 <string>nnnnnnnnnnn</string> (insert valid 11 character serial here if you have one)
 <key>SMfamily</key>
 <string>Mac</string> (this must match your SMproductname)
 <key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>  (put Apple Computer, Inc. if you're setting MacPro values)
 <key>SMboardproduct</key>
 <string>Mac-F2218EC8</string> (this must match your SMproductname)
 <key>SMexternalclock</key>
 <string>200</string> (your true CPU FSB, ie non-"quad pumped")
 <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
 <string>3400</string> (CPU freq in MHz)
 <key>SMmemtype</key>
 <string>19</string>
 <key>SMmemspeed</key>
 <string>800</string> (RAM freq in MHz)
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
 <string>Kingston Technology</string> (OCZ, Geil, whatever, the name of your cat, dog or parrot..)
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
 <string>Kingston Technology</string> (...pet rabbit names causes system crashes, use with caution!)
 <key>SMmempart_1</key>
 <string>KHX8500D2/1GN</string> (your RAM manufacturer will have this info on their website...) 
 <key>SMmempart_3</key>
 <string>KHX8500D2/1GN</string> (...for example in a .pdf datasheet for your RAM)
 <key>SMmemserial_1</key>
 <string>nnnnnnnn</string> (insert valid serials here if you have them)
 <key>SMmemserial_3</key>
 <string>nnnnnnnn</string> (You can get the serials with CPU-Z under Windows)
</dict>
</plist>

100 % agree !

I used before Chameleon 2 RC the injector ways or modded SMBIOS.

Now with CHameleon / smbios.plist in /Extra i am much more happy !

Netkas hint: Dont use MacPro#,1 Modell Names, can make problems if your CPU isnt really an i7 family CPU member.

Also be sure (for best compatibility) dont change only Model name, all must fit together with the other values, means SMBIOS Table + Modelname must fit as some other values too, MacPro or MacBook has an different smbios table as iMac !

I used iMac5,1 and all is OK. Also geekbench & Co.

i attached my smbios.plist for chameleon to look in /compare.

attached: my iMac5,1 smbios.plist (CPU Speed : 2.8, FSB 266 MHZ, RAM 800 MHZ DDR2: edit with your vales)

Attached File(s) zip.gif smbios.zip ( 2.17K )

Thank you for your enlightment.

btw, string value for DDR3 is 24 (not 20)

I've also posted some custom smbios.plist & guide @ Chameleon with SMBIOS patching

z0r-OSX1057_sysprop.png

z0r-PlistEdit1.png

z0r-OSX1057_geekbenchx64.png

Checkout the safe update:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167173

DISCLAIMER: EVERY STEP PROVIDED HERE ON HOW TO UPDATE YOUR MAC IS ONLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE UPDATE AND/OR FOR WHOM CREATED IT AND NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CRASHES THAT OCCUR AND I ASK THE UPDATER TO DELETE IT AFTER THE UPDATE FINISHES.

Alright. How are you doing? Hope you're doing well.

The following are the steps on how to update your Mac to 10.5.7:

*Note: Make sure that you have done a backup using Time Machine.

1- DSDT has to be patched. Download the patcher here.

2- If your Mac does not have the EFI v9 bootloader, download it here.

3- Two files MUST be installed in a mac system that has to be updated into 10.5.7, and they are:

a- dsmos.kext. Download from here.

b- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. Download here.

* Note: their installation is as any other kext. Google for how to install kext file if you didn't how, and don't forget to reboot after installation.

4- Get the 10.5.7 update:

a- Delta: if you are updating from 10.5.6. Found here.

b- Combo: if you are updating from 10.5.6 and older versions. Found here.

Update AND DON'T RESTART WHEN IT ASKS FOR!!!!!!!!!!

Continue to the next step.

5- Postinstallation: most problems reside in this stage. However, a repair tool is present for that. Download it here. Once downloaded, run the repair installation and choose what fits your PC.

6- Now, you can restart your PC.

Enjoy!

DON'T FORGET TO REPORT THE RESULTS.

It was tested on iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 package and went successful.

Source: www.3rr0rists.com

I updated to 10.5.7 via Software Update and it bricked mu Hack.

Now it wont boot. First it was saying "still waiting for root device" (it was set to RAID and working that way before update) but now I changed it to AHCI and sez something about imediate dependencies. I did not have time to write that down, it restarted pretty quickly.

Is there any way to fix this, or I must reinstall? I would like to fix it, since I have some things on OS X boot drive :)

I updated to 10.5.7 via Software Update and it bricked mu Hack.

Is there any way to fix this, or I must reinstall? I would like to fix it, since I have some things on OS X boot drive :unsure:

I thought I answered this but you have to remove the Don't Steal This Software.kext and the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and make sure you have dsmos, appledecrypt and appleintelcpupm disabler kexts installed. You can do this in Single User mode or Terminal from the install CD.

Guest ѕиоѡ

Everything seems to be in order after the update except that system profiler crashes now when trying to view the video/monitor tab.

Also, some Photoshop projects seem to have texture corruption in the background (canvas)

Does anyone else experience this?

I thought I answered this but you have to remove the Don't Steal This Software.kext and the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and make sure you have dsmos, appledecrypt and appleintelcpupm disabler kexts installed. You can do this in Single User mode or Terminal from the install CD.

I sure didn't remove Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext (which for your info is DSMOS) and kextstat shows that it is loaded, so why should you/he?

Also, there should be no need to remove AppleTyMCEDriver.kext because it usually only hangs when you use "MacPro4,1" instead of say: "MacPro3,1", which works just fine for me BTW.

And with "appleintelcpupm disabler kexts" you probably mean disabler.kext

@miki88:

I would go back to the RAID setup (which you said to have worked for you) and fix permissions with Disk Utility (boot from the install DVD) and do a

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

before you reboot. And if that doesn't work anymore, take other/nessecary action(s) to fix this issue; starting with booting with -x (safe) -s (single user) or -v (verbose) mode.

Hey guys, I just updated via Software Update to 10.5.7 and now have this problem. The installation I had was a Retail Leopard 10.5.6 with Chameleon Boot Loader.

My configuration is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 
Chipset: Intel Bearlake G31/G33/P35 
Processor: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3.0Ghz 
RAM: Kingston 4GB
Video: NVidia GeForce 8600GT 
Display: LG Flatron W2241S 22" Widescreen
Sound: Realtek ALC885 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

I think I have a problem with some of my kexts because I can boot into safe mode. Do you have any ideas how to fix this kernel panic?

PS. Here's a list of all my kekxts. I got them all packed in a mkext file, because the audio just wouldn't work before that.

Hey guys, I just updated via Software Update to 10.5.7 and now have this problem. The installation I had was a Retail Leopard 10.5.6 with Chameleon Boot Loader.

My configuration is:

I think I have a problem with some of my kexts because I can boot into safe mode. Do you have any ideas how to fix this kernel panic?

PS. Here's a list of all my kekxts. I got them all packed in a mkext file, because the audio just wouldn't work before that.

You have to remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/, this is the extensions that panics.

My configuration is:

You do not need all those extra kexts! A proper DSDT.aml file will replace HDAenabler. EFI string (or DSDT.aml) can replace the Natit.kext. You will need a patched AppleHDA.kext though.

kulos

i do need some airport help after update.

I did update my brother system from 10.5.5 to 10.5.7 (he is like me on an iATKOS v5I install).

The update went fine and all works fine except that the airport extrem card is not found by the system

anymore. The system says no card installed. The card was working fine under 10.5.5.

He is on a dual boot with vista and the card is working there.

It is strange bacause the airport card should be picked up by the system nativly. I do use the sam ecard with no update problems.

I did replaces the airport kext from 10.5.7 with the one from 10.5.5 but no luck

The ethernet 82562v connection does not work either but it did not work before so i dont think it matters.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this or has an working kext. to make the ethernet 82562V work (id did not find any working solution)

Thnaks a lot.

Hi.. can't help with Airport.. don't have any experience with it. I guess it has nothing to do with 82562 not working but, you never know..

Check this thread: Intel 82562v LAN driver - InsanelyMac Forum

I have 82562 PHY but it's Intel Pro/100 VE.

Updated from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 through 'Software Update' with 2 simple problems.

1.) Audio didn't work at first. Showed as having no hardware being available. Had to Reinstall Audio Kexts. Works now.

2.) Screen Resolution doesn't have previous 1366 x 768 resolution anymore. Only non-clear interlaced resolutions available. Still haven't been able to fix.

Otherwise, it was a flawless update. 1 auto-reboot and it booted normally with the 2 exceptions noted above.

Anyone know how I can restore my resolution back? My specs below:

iDeneb 10.5.6 Install (originally)

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L v.2

4 GBs Corsair RAM

Nvidia GeForce EVGA 9600 GT 512MB DDR3

Raptor 10,000RPM HDD

Installation worked fine on my vanilla config, just with Software Update.

Just had to re-install audio 889a driver in order to get audio back.

Only one issue : my second 24" monitor is now stuck in 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200.

I think OSX believes it's a HD TV.

If anyone has a solution...

Try using short DVI cables instead of VGA

Hi.. can't help with Airport.. don't have any experience with it. I guess it has nothing to do with 82562 not working but, you never know..

Check this thread: Intel 82562v LAN driver - InsanelyMac Forum

I have 82562 PHY but it's Intel Pro/100 VE.

thanks Azimut,

well i will try with the solution for the ethernet connection, but rather would prevour to

get the airport working.

anyone else has an idea on how to fix the airport connection. The card working would not

even recognized anymore under 10.5.7

please

Portable Computers LG LS70 express update from Retail Leopard 10.5.6 and Voodoo kernel 9.5 to 10.5.7 almost everything is working (even the keyboard and mouse Touchpad using VoodooPS2Controller) except sound card C-Media CMI9880

Also video card ATI mobility X600 QE/CL not supported.

Anyone can help me to define the sound card?

Attached codec_dump.txt

Thanks.

Sound card working using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (only output working) but cannot change the Volume slide...

Any help it will be welcome…

Thanks.

Something wrong with either one of the extensions listed or the new graphics drivers within 10.5.7 in general. Can try downloading the 10.5.6 combo update and using pacifist to install the 10.5.6 nvidia drivers, and / or the extensions listed.

Also check in the System Profiler to see if your Quartz Extreme is supported. If not, you may have to resintall nvinject / nvkush again.

I tried installing some of the kexts listed that I was using in 10.5.6 but that simply wouldn't let me boot up.

I've started a new topic here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168157 to see if I can get any help on it. It's killing me!

I wonder if one encounters the problem in repairing permission. I notice the time to complete this taking a very long time than before. In the past, I can complete this with a full backup of the boot partition (14GB) in about 40 min. Now in 10.5.7, it takes more than 1.5 hours.

Did the 10.5.7 update through the Software Updater on my FrankenMac.

Here's what I ended up with.

(image deleted)

What'd I screw up and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

I had the same problem. I am running a low-profile NVidia 8400 GT GS on a DP35DP Intel board.

I had to ssh in and reinstall previous version of AppleHDA.kext, and HDAenabler.kext. Also removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManager.kext which had gotten re-installed.

Now I can see my screen, but do not have Core Image or QuartzExtreme enabled, nor OpenGL. Also: no sound, so I have to re-install that.

I think that's all I did. I'm a noob at this, and don't have a recovery methodology down yet.

Good luck.

Finally I´m back on 10.5.6, I´m lucky I made a CCC on my old 10.5.6 install. Was´nt a piece of cake to get everything back to normal, took some time but now pretty much all is good again. Had to boot it with the 132 disk first and then reinstall chameleon, 10.5.6 mach kernel, system.kext, seatbelt.kext, clear chashes, repair permissions and reboot. I copied everything I had added to the 10.5.7 install so next few days I´ll be going throught that stuff see what I want to keep so there´s still some work to do though. And all the verification and installationcodes for all my musicsoftware man that alone will take some time to get them all up running again but it´s worth it. 10.5.6 is the best so far so stick with it.

Quick follow-up:

I fixed the CI/QE problem by re-installing the Leopard Graphics 1.0 update. Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I then installed the Graphics Update 2009001 package, and that gave me a black screen, and I had to roll everything back by restarting as single user.

Now graphics are working, but I don't have the login screen's "fade-in" effect that seems to be new with 10.5.7. I can live with that. I also think this solution is 8xxx specific: It did not work for a friend's 9500 based board.

The only other problem seems to be that my audio is not coming back after re-installing ALCinject and AppleHDA kexts and running AppleHDAPatcher 1.20. Still investigating this one.