[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Finally...everything seems to be up and running.

I do have a few questions, though:

1. My RAM shows up @ 1600MHz and the Processor at 3.2GHz. I have made no changes in the BIOS to overclock (yet)...any ideas on why this might be? (I would naturally expect 2.66GHz/1066MHz)

2. All cores are recognized, but they run quite hot (~46-50C). I am running in a Lian Li PC-B10 (which might increase temps a bit in exchange for noise), but also have a thermalright true black 120. Is this temperature (at stock settings...unless something screwy is going on with 1) consistent with what others are seeing?

3. I have a PCI 802.11N card installed, but system profiler doesn't see any PCI cards...I looked through the BIOS, but there is nothing there in terms of PCI activation or anything...any ideas? The card is the Encore ENLWI-N and it apparently works like an ethernet port which then opens a utility to connect to wifi networks. I am still using the macbook to provide my computer with an internet connection. I would like sever the umbilical and use the machine on its own.

I'll keep on playing with the machine...

In case this helps anyone, the steps I took to get the machine up and running with a GTX card are as follows:

1. Delete kexts in graphics folder of DD's script, Install normally.

2. Follow instructions on post 198 here and create EFI string.

copy plist to /Extra.

3. Install nVIDIA drivers; repair permissions; reboot.

Thanks for all the help over the last few days!

Well I can answer the first 2.

You need to go into plists in the package, you will see that the cpu speed is set to 3400 i think. you can change that to 2667. It also list 4 sticks of ram at 1600mhz by default. You need to change that to 1066 and remove all references to a fourth stick if you have 3, or remove to 2 if you have 2.

Also in there it says "mem type 24", mine is 1333mhz and type 23, yours is type 22. Change speed and type.

When you change that run steps 5, 6, 7 and reboot.

As for type 22, that is a guess, i looked high and low, and nowhere could i find mem types.

So 1600 being 24, i figured 1333 was 23, i was right. so i figure the next speed of ddr3 is 22.

My cpu temp is around the same as your's.

Could you please tell me , does front audio work for you, thanx.

what about efi strings? try that...

ATI card and EFI strings in Snow Leopard doesn't seem to be a good combination. I've spend alot of time finding the correct EFI string, but without succes so far :(

Ok,

I got through the installer by booting in safe mode however when I try to boot into my retail install I just get a quick flash of white and then the signal from the computer stops and it boots up again.

What can be causing this?

If I look at the HD that I'm trying to install it on in finder it does not look at all like a normal mac install. The folders all look blank. For example the applications folder doesn't have that embossed A on it. What could be causing this? I also don't have any of the usual folders like Library, Music, Movies, etc. Is this a disc problem?

Working Sleep Solution

for all of you with Sleep problems in 10.5.8 go to this thread and download pista7 new

Sleepenabler.kext (it has to be installed with IntelcpuPmDisabler)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8468&st=200

there is also 64bit version version of the kext for the guys who run SL (nullcpupowermanagement hast to be installed with it)

Both work perfectly (though no autosleep on my rig)

thanks pista7

I hope this did not double post. If it did sorry.

I am using the ud4p with digital dreamer's script, all works well except for sleep, but that is related to having the 4870 vid card.

All I want to know is, does the front audio work for other's.

I have looked everywhere and don't know if I am looking for a solution that does not exist.

Thank You

Same thing here. I am using EX58-UD4P, everything works great with dd's script except sleep (on ATI HD4850) and front speaker/mic audio port doesn't seem to work.Has anyone tried updating to 10.5.8 yet? how the update should be done?

Hi StrokeMidnight,

Finally, a Mac specific question I may be able to answer. The folder icons of which you speak are only displayed on the active boot volume. The only exception would be if you manually pasted custom icons on those folders.

The "usual" folders, which I'm assuming you are looking for in /Users/yourhomefolder/ don't exist until after the first successful boot and completion of the setup "wizard."

Sorry I can't help with the boot problem.

Regards,

Ok,

I got through the installer by booting in safe mode however when I try to boot into my retail install I just get a quick flash of white and then the signal from the computer stops and it boots up again.

What can be causing this?

If I look at the HD that I'm trying to install it on in finder it does not look at all like a normal mac install. The folders all look blank. For example the applications folder doesn't have that embossed A on it. What could be causing this? I also don't have any of the usual folders like Library, Music, Movies, etc. Is this a disc problem?

I hope Digital_Dreamer doesn't mind that I editted his script a bit to work with Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432. If so, please let me know and I'll remove the link!

[...]

Hello,

I thought I should share my experience with this script. I already had a working Snow Leopard partition (A421) so I installed A432 on another partition (on the same drive). PCEFI was already setup as the bootloader on the first partition where my working SL (A421) was. After the new OS installed completed, I simply copied my /Extra folder (using sudo cp in the terminal) from my working A421 to my new A432 (this effectively migrated my working smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist and DSDT.aml to the new setup). I then removed all kext from the Extra folder on the new A432 and ran your version of the script from my working Snow A421 (this enabled me to updated all the boot caches without having to reboot in safe mode).

I then rebooted without any issues.

What works:

- nvidia GTX285 via same EFI string as 10.5 and Snow A421

- Network (using Apple USB Ethernet adapter)

- 64-bit

- Restart (didn't try sleep yet but will soon)

All drive were showing as external hard drives so I had to add IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra/Stored_Kext and rebuild the boot caches. Once I did that, everything went back to normal.

Looks like Snow Leopard support will not be too difficult on these boards after all...

EDIT: Sleep does not work. Screen and optical mouse shut off but all fans keep spinning. Computer does not wake.

Colddiver

Hello,

I thought I should share my experience with this script. I already had a working Snow Leopard partition (A421) so I installed A432 on another partition (on the same drive). PCEFI was already setup as the bootloader on the first partition where my working SL (A421) was. After the new OS installed completed, I simply copied my /Extra folder (using sudo cp in the terminal) from my working A421 to my new A432 (this effectively migrated my working smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist and DSDT.aml to the new setup). I then removed all kext from the Extra folder on the new A432 and ran your version of the script from my working Snow A421 (this enabled me to updated all the boot caches without having to reboot in safe mode).

I then rebooted without any issues.

What works:

- 64-bit

All drive were showing as external hard drives so I had to add IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra/Stored_Kext and rebuild the boot caches. Once I did that, everything went back to normal.

Looks like Snow Leopard support will not be too difficult on these boards after all...

EDIT: Sleep does not work. Screen and optical mouse shut off but all fans keep spinning. Computer does not wake.

Colddiver

What are your openGL scores like with that 285?...

What are your openGL scores like with that 285?...

Using the OpenGl Extension Viewer at a resolution of 1920 x 1200 x 32 bpp, I get the following:

- 1.1 = 3798 fps

- 1.2 = 3844 fps

- 1.3 = 3758 fps

- 1.4 = 3748 fps

- 1.5 = 3759 fps

- 2.0 = 3557 fps

- 2.1 = 174 fps

This was tested with Leopard 10.5.7.

Colddiver

I can't seem to run Mac with two sata hard drives one with Mac OS and the other is just Media stuff. It just hangs on verifying DMI pool... and I did rearrange the boot order.

Sounds like you just need to setup the bios to boot from the correct HDD - Right now your PC is trying to boot through the DATA Hdd.

Change the BIOS - or just test around with F12 Key during boot - to enter boot device manager.

Hope that helps!

What works:

- 64-bit

Good to see you have succes (also 64-bit)!

I'm still hoping for a way to get my ATI Radeon HD 4870 to work with EFI-Strings of with an ATY_init 64bit driver. Then I'll be ready for 64 bit also :)

Hi StrokeMidnight,

Finally, a Mac specific question I may be able to answer. The folder icons of which you speak are only displayed on the active boot volume. The only exception would be if you manually pasted custom icons on those folders.

The "usual" folders, which I'm assuming you are looking for in /Users/yourhomefolder/ don't exist until after the first successful boot and completion of the setup "wizard."

Sorry I can't help with the boot problem.

Regards,

Thanks for the response, at least that puts my worries to an end about having a faulty disc.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't boot into the install?

Could you please tell me , does front audio work for you, thanx.

Front Audio (at least the headphone output) works properly if the correct output is selected in system preferences.

You can select your output device by going to system preferences/sound/output and selecting the correct line out.

Interestingly enough, I started up to a kernel panic when I left the headphones plugged into the front of the case.

Also the activity lights don't seem to properly work...

Using the OpenGl Extension Viewer at a resolution of 1920 x 1200 x 32 bpp, I get the following:

- 1.1 = 3798 fps

- 1.2 = 3844 fps

- 1.3 = 3758 fps

- 1.4 = 3748 fps

- 1.5 = 3759 fps

- 2.0 = 3557 fps

- 2.1 = 174 fps

This was tested with Leopard 10.5.7.

Colddiver

Woww, kicks the pants off the 9800GTX+ lol it only got an 1.1 = 2758. Thanks for the info, i'm definitely considering the investment :D

Hi,

I've been reading this thread, and have a GA-EX58-UD5 based system on order. On quick question I can't find the direct answer to here.

Can I run Digital dreamers install script, from my mac book pro onto an attached sata drive using a retail copy of leopard. if i then put the drive in my new pc will it boot, or will i need to do something else with boot loaders on the PC?

Thanks

Jon

Woww, kicks the pants off the 9800GTX+ lol it only got an 1.1 = 2758. Thanks for the info, i'm definitely considering the investment :whistle:

I can say I am very happy with this card. I got a good deal on it on Newegg and, so far, it has worked flawlessly with Mac OS X (Leo + Snow Leo). It will be interesting to see if OpenCL will be supported on it with Snow. If this tool is right, looks like it will because it the card gets recognized as an OpenCL device...

Colddiver

Hi,

I've been reading this thread, and have a GA-EX58-UD5 based system on order. On quick question I can't find the direct answer to here.

Can I run Digital dreamers install script, from my mac book pro onto an attached sata drive using a retail copy of leopard. if i then put the drive in my new pc will it boot, or will i need to do something else with boot loaders on the PC?

Thanks

Jon

Should work fine. Don't apply the DSDT patch from your MacBook, but everything else should work.

Thanks. Do I need do that after I've put the drive into the PC?

Probably not. I had to use DSDT with 10.5.8 to get sleep to work properly, but using the 10.5.7 kernel with 10.5.8 did not require DSDT for sleep to work.

I have to use a patched DSDT with Snow Leopard or else my CMOS gets corrupted.

I have an GA-EX58-UD5

Probably not. I had to use DSDT with 10.5.8 to get sleep to work properly, but using the 10.5.7 kernel with 10.5.8 did not require DSDT for sleep to work.

I have to use a patched DSDT with Snow Leopard or else my CMOS gets corrupted.

I have an GA-EX58-UD5

Quick question, how did you patch your DSDT? My CMOS gets corrupted too.