[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I've been trying to reinstall OSX but I keep getting the "restart your computer" 3/4 of the installation. I'm thinking and I'm hoping someone can answer this. I have kaly installed on a MBR ATA drive, because I'm installing from that ATA drive is that what is causing complications to install to a SATA drive? or perhaps maybe disk position?

I have a little problem myself: I keep getting kernel panics 85% of the way through the installation.

Is it the fact that I'm trying to install from a PATA drive to a SATA drive? What could possibly be causing this!?

I'm thinking this is a issue with the JMicron controller, the infamous >4GB KP bug. But, I would think that the Kalyway system would have that fix installed.

I don't have experience with dealing with this bug, but we could try several things:

1. Try "maxmem=2048" without the quotes at the bootloader prompt or include it as a kernel flag in your boot.plist

2. You could pull a stick of your RAM.

3. Use a SATA drive.

4. Install the later Kalyway distro, as you are doing.

MAJ

Cool, thanks!

CONFIRMED: I pulled out a stick, and it installed fine. Since I'm only using the PATA drive for rescue/installation to a SATA drive, I'm comfortable with simply adding maxmem to my boot.plist

So there you have it. You can't install from a PATA drive with >4GB RAM. Either use maxmem on your PATA installation, or pull out a stick when installing.

Try to search the entire thread next time, before posting. It's tedious, it's boring, but it keep the thread length down, making it that much easier to find information.

Hello all,

This thread is really getting long. It is getting extremely hard now to find specific info on this long thread. Somebody started a wiki to have the critical information quickly available. The wiki is available here. I just made some contributions. I would like to encourage everybody to do the same...

Colddiver

I'm thinking this is a issue with the JMicron controller, the infamous >4GB KP bug. But, I would think that the Kalyway system would have that fix installed.

I don't have experience with dealing with this bug, but we could try several things:

1. Try "maxmem=2048" without the quotes at the bootloader prompt or include it as a kernel flag in your boot.plist

2. You could pull a stick of your RAM.

3. Use a SATA drive.

4. Install the later Kalyway distro, as you are doing.

MAJ

Cool, thanks!

CONFIRMED: I pulled out a stick, and it installed fine. Since I'm only using the PATA drive for rescue/installation to a SATA drive, I'm comfortable with simply adding maxmem to my boot.plist

So there you have it. You can't install from a PATA drive with >4GB RAM. Either use maxmem on your PATA installation, or pull out a stick when installing.

Try to search the entire thread next time, before posting. It's tedious, it's boring, but it keep the thread length down, making it that much easier to find information.

It can be a bit tedious searching through 100+ pages, but I understand and I do greatly appreciate the help :-) will retry this later. Rep+

Hi,

I would get a KP at the boot up see attached.

post-56134-1250901564_thumb.jpg

What I did was run the script on my iMac, I stopped at "update boot caches" and also tried at "run DSDT patcher" both would give me tthe same KP.

Any comments on where the cause of the problem is?

cheers

alvin

I friggin can't get Time Machine to work. Keep sayings there an error.

IT says its "Unable to complete backup. An error occured while copying files to the backup volume."

I did update the EFI string with the Ethernet one from OSX86tools, which enabled me to select the Time Capsule hdd, but I keep getting the error when backing up.

Does anybody use the image I posted? Because I made a new version (with fakeSMC and without dsmos.kext) which works pretty sweet also. But if nobody uses it anyway, then there's no need for posting it :)

Does anybody use the image I posted? Because I made a new version (with fakeSMC and without dsmos.kext) which works pretty sweet also. But if nobody uses it anyway, then there's no need for posting it :unsure:

Cybex, I'm a total noob (first-time hackintosh builder who just assembled my rig on Thursday) but I'd love to give your new image a shot, so please post it! :) I'll let you know how it goes.

I am totally lost :mellow:

Have tried to follow this guide 4 times, but I'm still not able to boot on my new GA-EX58-UD5.

Right after boot, where the white screen with the apple should be displayed, my system reboots

(exectly like when trying to boot from iPC or iAtkos without the busratio=20).

1: I installed iPC 10.5.6 onto my external USB drive (using boot: busratio=20).

2: Ran disk utility to Partition my internal drive (GUID, 1 Partition)

3: Extracted the zip with the script installer onto my desktop.

4: Ran the script, selected first option to run from 2-7 (and it runs successfully).

5: Tried both Chameleon v1 and v2

Have tried the busratio=20 at startup but it still reboots.

I've also tried IAktos v7 installed onto the USB as "source OS", but it ends up with the same result

rebooting.

What have I missed?

GA-EX58-UD5, i7 920, 6GB Corsair Dominator DHX+ (1600Mhz), Asus GeFrce 9600GT 512Mb (Silent), Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S, Samsung F1 1TB, Corsair HX 620w PSU, Noctua NH-U12P SE CPU cooler

I am totally lost :unsure:

Have tried to follow this guide 4 times, but I'm still not able to boot on my new GA-EX58-UD5.

Right after boot, where the white screen with the apple should be displayed, my system reboots

(exectly like when trying to boot from iPC or iAtkos without the busratio=20).

1: I installed iPC 10.5.6 onto my external USB drive (using boot: busratio=20).

2: Ran disk utility to Partition my internal drive (GUID, 1 Partition)

3: Extracted the zip with the script installer onto my desktop.

4: Ran the script, selected first option to run from 2-7 (and it runs successfully).

5: Tried both Chameleon v1 and v2

Have tried the busratio=20 at startup but it still reboots.

I've also tried IAktos v7 installed onto the USB as "source OS", but it ends up with the same result

rebooting.

What have I missed?

GA-EX58-UD5, i7 920, 6GB Corsair Dominator DHX+ (1600Mhz), Asus GeFrce 9600GT 512Mb (Silent), Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S, Samsung F1 1TB, Corsair HX 620w PSU, Noctua NH-U12P SE CPU cooler

Did you install the 10.5.7 update after the Mac OS X install finishes?

Hi Guys,

I finally got my rig today and used DD's script to install Retail + 10.5.7 Combo Update. Did not run option 7 as the hard disk was not in my i7 build. Chameleon loads ok, I select osx and during boot, I get the dreaded grey wipe that tells me I need to restart my computer by holding the power button.

I thought I missed a step so I reinstalled again but same error. Updated the bios to F8e, still no luck. Can anyone please tell me what the heck I am doing wrong? :( :censored2: lol

I run in verbose mode and it gets stuck, see attahced image.

post-371855-1250971365_thumb.jpg

My specs are

GA-EX58-UD5 Core i7 @ 2.66 Ghz

12Gb Ram DDR3 Trichannel @ 1333Mhz

Pioneer Bluray DVD combo

Zotac GTX 285 1Gb Ram

2 X Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb

I used the same bios settings as DD's picture in his install guide...

Please Help

Hi Guys,

I finally got my rig today and used DD's script to install Retail + 10.5.7 Combo Update. Did not run option 7 as the hard disk was not in my i7 build. Chameleon loads ok, I select osx and during boot, I get the dreaded grey wipe that tells me I need to restart my computer by holding the power button.

I thought I missed a step so I reinstalled again but same error. Updated the bios to F8e, still no luck. Can anyone please tell me what the heck I am doing wrong? :( :censored2: lol

I run in verbose mode and it gets stuck, see attahced image.

post-371855-1250971365_thumb.jpg

My specs are

GA-EX58-UD5 Core i7 @ 2.66 Ghz

12Gb Ram DDR3 Trichannel @ 1333Mhz

Pioneer Bluray DVD combo

Zotac GTX 285 1Gb Ram

2 X Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb

I used the same bios settings as DD's picture in his install guide...

Please Help

You mentioned you used the 10.5.7 combo update. I assume you're using the 10.5.6 retail DVD to install? I would try the 10.5.7 update and not the combo update. See what happens...

You mentioned you used the 10.5.7 combo update. I assume you're using the 10.5.6 retail DVD to install? I would try the 10.5.7 update and not the combo update. See what happens...

Whats the difference betwen the 2 updates, I followed DD's directions explicitly...downloading the update now

Whats the difference betwen the 2 updates, I followed DD's directions explicitly...downloading the update now

The combo update allows you to upgrade from any 10.5 to 10.5.6 version to 10.5.7. The smaller update is only for updating from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. I had problems with this before so its worth a try.

The combo update allows you to upgrade from any 10.5 to 10.5.6 version to 10.5.7. The smaller update is only for updating from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. I had problems with this before so its worth a try.

Ok, DVD was 10.5.6 so I will give it a try and see what happens...will post success or failure

Hi again Tek,

No go, same error :-( , do you have more suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi again Tek,

No go, same error :-( , do you have more suggestions?

Thanks in advance

That is a Mac error and may be due to your hardware. Try unplugging the Blueray player and see if that does anything. Just a thought.

That is a Mac error and may be due to your hardware. Try unplugging the Blueray player and see if that does anything. Just a thought.

Still a no go :) . Its weird how some ppl can run DD'sscript and not have any problems. Anyways, I am fetching iAtkos V7, will install on my first HD and then try the retail install again on the second HD, maybe that might fix the problem

Cruisar, your problem is in GTX 285 1Gb Ram. Delete all graphics kext from script and than run script

Thanks a million, i did exactly what you said and was able to boot and after installed the kext for the GTX 285. I now have full retail install updated to 10.5.8, I however cant put the rig to sleep, it wakes up the moment I put i to sleep, any ideas?

Thanks again

Does anyone have a problem with KP after the relase Snow 432

(in yellow

unable to load extension com.apple.driver.appleacpiplatform

and second

unable to load extension com.psystar.driver.openhaltrestart) 

installed by Cybex@dd script

Thanks a million, i did exactly what you said and was able to boot and after installed the kext for the GTX 285. I now have full retail install updated to 10.5.8, I however cant put the rig to sleep, it wakes up the moment I put i to sleep, any ideas?

Thanks again

10.5.8 has sleep issues with our setup. This is a known problem. Better to stick with 10.5.7 until an easy fix becomes available if you need sleep.

Colddiver

10.5.8 has sleep issues with our setup. This is a known problem. Better to stick with 10.5.7 until an easy fix becomes available if you need sleep.

Colddiver

I added SleepEnabler.kext (attached below) to my /Extra/Stored_Kexts and rebuilt my boot cache. Both manual and automatic sleep are working in 10.5.8. So far so good.

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

I added SleepEnabler.kext (attached below) to my /Extra/Stored_Kexts and rebuilt my boot cache. Both manual and automatic sleep are working in 10.5.8. So far so good.

Sweet, now my sleep works as well... I have two last Q's to ask though, is there a way I can get my bootloader + when osx is booting to fill up the monitor. they both uses only 1024 X 768. I have a full HD 23 inch monitor, 1920 X 1080. WHen I boot into windows using Chameleon, my clock is set 2 hrs back, it is correct in osx though

Thanks

Hello all,

Does anyone have a dsdt file for an MSI X58M mobo + i7 920? I can't boot into the system without boot arguments 'cpus=1' (anything else causes an immediate reboot before I can even get to the console). When I do boot with 'cpus=1' and use fassl's dsdt patcher , I don't think it creates a valid dsdt file because when I use it, it kernel panics early with an error message "Should have 2 Threads, but only found 1 for Core 2..."

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas? Otherwise I'm considering booting into ubunto and generating a dsdt from there.