[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I tried to use your latest script for my EVGA mobo, but it won't boot showing only abrupt rebooting on and on...

Before your latest script, I think I was using your March version without no trouble.

So, I edited com.apple.boot.plist with "busratio=20" with the latest kernel with 10.5.8.

It works good. I've got a help of "ihaveredcouch's guide."(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172548&st=20&gopid=1217699entry1217699)

Could you kindly tell me what this means;

See, I'm running on 10.5.8 vanilla kernal with retail install, but only thing different from your guide is still using "busratio=20."

I thought once we updated to 10.5.7, "busratio=20" no longer needed.

Would this flag is to lose some performance in i7?

As a noobie, I don't have trouble using my system, but just curious...

Thanks and Have a good day!

(I'm assuming that you're saying that your system only worked with the busratio flag.)

The only reason "busratio=20" is working for you is because you must have a modified kernel installed. Additionally, since you were able to upgrade to 10.5.8 and still require this kernel flag, it must mean that the modified kernel is named other than "mach_kernel," otherwise it would have gotten overwritten by the new kernel update. It's probably "mach_kernel.voodoo" and, if so, your boot plist clearly reflects that name.

I'd type the following in Terminal and see if you have two kernels installed.:

ls -l /

(that's a lower-case "L")

If you want to run the vanilla kernel, try changing your kernel name in the boot plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

If this works, then you can delete the modified kernel in your boot volume:

sudo rm -f "/Volumes/YOUR_BOOT_DRIVE/mach_kernel.voodoo"

or whatever the name of that kernel is.

You're correct that the flag is not longer needed when running the vanilla kernel. However, I include it in case one wants/needs to install a voodoo-based kernel. That way I won't hear any complaints about someone's system being in a reboot loop. ;)

The busratio flag is meaningless to the vanilla kernel and is, therefore, ignored. No ill effects can come from using it.

regards,

MAJ

Digital_Dreamer, you are a genius. I'm really looking forward for your script to install Snow Leopard (and EFI install).

Digital_Dreamer, your script is the world's most advanced hackintosh install script, and now, it will be finely tuned for Snow Leopard xD.

Just remember, your work is very appreciated and this script really is a milestone for the hackintosh community.

Digital Dreamer, do you think you could update the tread for the 10.5.8.

I mean maybe a new script with 9.8.0 Kernel , ... as well as as some infos on the files that need to be fixed (such as sleep), changed or upgraded

Thank you

Anything new on audio for the EX58-UD3R? Still had no luck getting it working any better. Maybe I'll just buy a USB dongle thing.

YES!

It turns out that the Asus P6T SE board has ALC888 sound with ICH10 controller, just like the EX58-UD3R. I tried the audio kexts posted in this thread, post #35. I put the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts in Extra/For_System, updated my boot caches and viola, it worked. I only get stereo, but line out, s/pdif optical, and heaphone out all work dandily. I had been using voodooHDA, but I would get occasional crackling when audio would first start and the outputs were labeled weird in sound preferences.

Let me know if it works for you!

Ryan

Hi. UD5/920/12G/4890 setup with Vertex SSD drive here.

Let me tell you, Snow leo works like a charm! Finally two DVI's out of my video card with hardware acceleration working (netkas' aty_init + exotic kexts).

I have sound (analog onboard, digital (optical) onboard - tried both DTS and PCM sound , my diy USB DAC). Have not tested the mic yet.

One problem tho! My network is not working for some reason! It detects only 1 ethernet and it says cable is not connected (yes, I checked the cable). The kext just doesn't want to load. Am I missing something?

Let me tell you, Snow leo works like a charm! Finally two DVI's out of my video card with hardware acceleration working (netkas' aty_init + exotic kexts).

I have sound (analog onboard, digital (optical) onboard - tried both DTS and PCM sound , my diy USB DAC). Have not tested the mic yet.

One problem tho! My network is not working for some reason! It detects only 1 ethernet and it says cable is not connected (yes, I checked the cable). The kext just doesn't want to load. Am I missing something?

did you try powering down and unplugging the power cord for 10 seconds and then pluggin it back in and rebooting? This has been covered various times in this thread but given the length of the thread I can understand you may have missed it. Also... your issue may be different. But a lot of ethernet problems are solved by doing the powerdown and unplug. You need to stay unplugged until the internal motherboard lights go off.

I know this is probably hoping for too much but does the TV-out also work in addition to both of the DVI ports?

mangopeach, thanks for the idea. I tried but didn't help. I ended up downloading the latest kext from sf.net and it worked! No idea what happened. Maybe the shutdown worked... Finally all working properly.

knightprozac: TV out doesn't seem to work. Sorry

YES!

It turns out that the Asus P6T SE board has ALC888 sound with ICH10 controller, just like the EX58-UD3R. I tried the audio kexts posted in this thread, post #35. I put the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts in Extra/For_System, updated my boot caches and viola, it worked. I only get stereo, but line out, s/pdif optical, and heaphone out all work dandily. I had been using voodooHDA, but I would get occasional crackling when audio would first start and the outputs were labeled weird in sound preferences.

Let me know if it works for you!

Ryan

So wait, you put both of the kexts in S/L/E? I was under the impression HDAEnabler always went in the Extra directory. But that's great though, thanks a lot. Can't try it 'til later though.

Sweet, now my sleep works as well... I have two last Q's to ask though, is there a way I can get my bootloader + when osx is booting to fill up the monitor. they both uses only 1024 X 768. I have a full HD 23 inch monitor, 1920 X 1080. WHen I boot into windows using Chameleon, my clock is set 2 hrs back, it is correct in osx though

Thanks

I'd also like to know if it's possible to display Chameleon v2 RC2 and Boot image in 1920x1080 resolution. I added a boot flag with 1920x1080x32, but it's still too small and does not have correct format (which would be 16:9)

Concerning the clock problem I found a solution long ago, but it's still working. Don't know who made this fix, however. I uploaded the time fix below, just install and you'll be fine. I hope someone will port that to snow leo!

Leopard Time Fix

So wait, you put both of the kexts in S/L/E? I was under the impression HDAEnabler always went in the Extra directory. But that's great though, thanks a lot. Can't try it 'til later though.

yeah, I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just threw them in there and they worked. I'm gonna play around later to see if I can put either or both in /Extra...or maybe I'll just let it be and be grateful it's working.

Ryan

yeah, I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just threw them in there and they worked. I'm gonna play around later to see if I can put either or both in /Extra...or maybe I'll just let it be and be grateful it's working.

Ryan

Aha! Just tried it and it works amazingly, thanks so much! Finally got some decent sound.

Hi All

I build this RealtekR1000.kext for Snow Leopard, it's 32/64-bit universal and verified working with 32/64-bit Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard 10A432 (Gold Master).

Since it works out of box with RTL8111D of my GA-EX58-UD4, i think it should work with GA-EX58-UD5.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

just simply: Great!

:)

Hello

I'm speccing a new machine to install using this guide :)

Please can someone recommend a compatible Nvidia graphics card with passive cooling (without a fan) ?

I don't need the ultimate 3D performance - the machine will be used for pro audio. I just need DVI outs - don't need HDMI/VGA etc.

Hello

I'm speccing a new machine to install using this guide :police:

Please can someone recommend a compatible Nvidia graphics card with passive cooling (without a fan) ?

I don't need the ultimate 3D performance - the machine will be used for pro audio. I just need DVI outs - don't need HDMI/VGA etc.

I have an Asus nVidia 9600GT Silent that has worked well for me. NVEnabler.kext works better than an EFI string if you go with it. It has two DVI ports and comes with an HDMI adapter. What audio software will you be using?

Ryan

post-397873-1251306484_thumb.jpg

It appears the computer data after upgrading to MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.

After the update I tried to install the package X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer 3.7, with Darwin 9.7 and still the same.

Have a solution?

Greetings

This can happen if you're using an older bootloader (v1 or earlier) and vanilla kernel, like those commonly used on a boot from EFI partition.

EDIT:

Or, on the new bootloaders (Cham2) without the smbios.kext in /Extra.

MAJ

I have an Asus nVidia 9600GT Silent that has worked well for me. NVEnabler.kext works better than an EFI string if you go with it. It has two DVI ports and comes with an HDMI adapter. What audio software will you be using?

Ryan

Really appreciate the reply Ryan, the card sounds perfect. I'm going to be using Logic and Live. Probably with an RME PCI card (they wrote Intel PCI drivers, works great on my existing GA-EP45-DS3 quad-core).

Also thanks to D_D for this guide :)

One more update on snow leo using the 4.0b script from dd:

Looks like mdworker is crashing my system every once in a while, so I disabled it. Will see how stable it is now.

Not working:

microphone <- there is a 'None' name for Built-in Microphone entry in Sound but that's about it. dsdt not setup correct?

all drives are detected as external <- this one is a bit strange. I can change the icon to be external but still...

The last thing for me would be to make both video cards (4890 and 8600GT) work so I can have two LCDs on the ATI and use the nvidia's vga for my projector...

Thanks DD for the effort. I'm sure your SL script will be awesome!

Hi All

I build this RealtekR1000.kext for Snow Leopard, it's 32/64-bit universal and verified working with 32/64-bit Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard 10A432 (Gold Master).

Since it works out of box with RTL8111D of my GA-EX58-UD4, i think it should work with GA-EX58-UD5.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

Wouldn't work in my UD5. I slapped in a Tendnet gig E card with Realtek chipset and it worked just fine in 64 bit mode.

Thanks!