[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Mattrb here, someone hacked my account and insanelymac wont reactivate my account!

I got snow leopard working! This is the holy mega post.

Here is everything you need.

I got some links,

Get this snow leopard

All you need to do is get the muzzle/dd installer here

http://www.snowx86.com

Put fakesmb (from netkas.org), put sleepenabler (from here, http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself ) in the correct kext area of muzzle/dd script.

Here are more SL kexts if you need them:

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....rd?view=details

Also you need to edit platformUUID to match the UUID from your hard drive. Then enter boot-uuid=your uuid in boot.plist too

Guide for that is here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst.../post30796.html

You know how to setup sound, dont use voodoo, unless you want, use alc889a kext in cybex's boot.dmg from http://www.snowx86.com

Also use the GA-EX58-UD5 dsdt from cybex's boot.dmg too, unless you have another motherboard (it has the cmos reset bug fix, requires nasty dsdt editing, which is detailed in guide below)

Now you need to write down this on paper and enter it in single user (-s -x32) to fix the extension.mkext and not KP

chown 0:0 /
			  chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
			  chown -R 0:0 /Extra/AdditionalExtensions  # adjust path if you keep your extras somewhere else

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
			  # adjust path if needed, will give dependency warnings but that's ok
			  kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/AdditionalExtensions

Here is my primary reference guide http://heliacal.net/pmwiki/Main/SnowLeopar...tallationGuide2

Yet another guide http://www.teknojunkie.com/2009/08/guide-s...32-coming-soon/

Also go to finder preferences and go to show hard drive, they disable this on default.

Realtekr1000 does not work in 64 bit unless you disable DHCP. 64 bit is stupid anyway, the programs still run in 64 bit when in 32 bit mode. Apple says it best:

The 32-bit kernel fully supports 64-bit applications, all system libraries that 64-bit applications use are fully 64-bit, and 64-bit applications have a full 64-bit virtual address space of 16 exabytes available to them on Mac OS X. The primary benefit of a 64-bit kernel is to improve the efficiency of accessing over 32GB of RAM.

Do you have 32GB of RAM? Bet not, use 32 bit (-x32).

To add kexts in when already in Snow Leopard, use Kext Utility SL edition

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=996263

You will have it up in no time!

Personally at this stage I wouldn't want to be diving into SL beta since Apple have just announced the official version is being released on the 28th of this month.

All the work being done by people using SL beta is certainly going to prove quite useful though.

Snow Leopard final is out on Torrents, I used the final version, no beta.

Rest Assured Son.

Mattrb here, someone hacked my account and insanelymac wont reactivate my account!

I got some links,

Get this snow leopard

http://www.snowx86.com

Put fakesmb (from netkas.org), put sleepenabler (from here, http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself ) in the correct kext area of muzzle/dd script.

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....rd?view=details

Also you need to edit platformUUID to match the UUID from your hard drive. Then enter boot-uuid=your uuid in boot.plist too

Guide for that is here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst.../post30796.html

You know how to setup sound, dont use voodoo, unless you want, use alc889a kext in cybex's boot.dmg from http://www.snowx86.com

Also use the GA-EX58-UD5 dsdt from cybex's boot.dmg too, unless you have another motherboard (it has the cmos reset bug fix, requires nasty dsdt editing, which is detailed in guide below)

Now you need to write down this on paper and enter it in single user (-s -x32) to fix the extension.mkext and not KP

chown -R 0:0 /Extra/AdditionalExtensions  # adjust path if you keep your extras somewhere else

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Here is my primary reference guide http://heliacal.net/pmwiki/Main/SnowLeopar...tallationGuide2

Also go to finder preferences and go to show hard drive, they disable this on default.

Realtekr1000 does not work in 64 bit unless you disable DHCP. 64 bit is stupid anyway, the programs still run in 64 bit when in 32 bit mode. Apple says it best:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=996263

Nice work! But can you confirm that digital audio output works in SL? I could not make anything except analog output work. This is for my main HTPC so digital audio output is a requirement. I don't care if it's 32 or 64 bit.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will come in handy once I am ready to switch over permanently to Snow Leopard. My disc should arrive in the mail soon too! :thumbsup_anim:

Nice work! But can you confirm that digital audio output works in SL? I could not make anything except analog output work.

Did the digi out show up in the sound prefs? It shows up with legacy kexts, which is included from cybexs boot.dmg. As well it shows up with the Voodoosound kext. Check that out.

Did the digi out show up in the sound prefs? It shows up with legacy kexts, which is included from cybexs boot.dmg. As well it shows up with the Voodoosound kext. Check that out.

It did indeed show up, but no audio out from S/PDIF or optical connections.

I got some links,

Get this snow leopard

[url="

Put fakesmb (from netkas.org), put sleepenabler (from here, [url=" ) in the correct kext area of muzzle/dd script.

[url="

Guide for that is here: [url="

You know how to setup sound, dont use voodoo, unless you want, use alc889a kext in cybex's boot.dmg from [url="

Here is my primary reference guide [url="

[url="

Very cool! Can you post geekbench scores?

Question about the wireless PCI card is decent. IONetworkingFamily kext seems to interfere with alot of wireless PCI cards. So you can remove that kext to allow your PCI card to work (assuming your card works out of the box). Apparently you can extract the RealtekR1000 kext from the IONetworkingFamily and use that to prevent losing ethernet but I haven't tested my ethernet.

I tried to remove IONetworkFamily.kext so that my Encore ENLWI-N would be detected, but it didn't work. Does anyone else use this card with their setup and DD's script? And if so, how did you get it to work properly?

Thanks.

I tried to remove IONetworkFamily.kext so that my Encore ENLWI-N would be detected, but it didn't work. Does anyone else use this card with their setup and DD's script? And if so, how did you get it to work properly?

You need to do that in addition to whatever you need to do to make your card work on a hackintosh setup. Some cards will work without further steps, some require driver installation, some require an additional kext and some won't work at all. I'd suggest some google searching.

I've got the UD5 / I7-920 combo working great, and am afraid to touch it since it's my primary daily driver computer.

Will this thread be covering upgrading this setup to Snow Leopard? I followed the DD steps to get going initially, and I'm looking forward to Snow (just ordered tonight).

Thanks for everyone's efforts to make this such an easy install!

I didn't try in S/L/E, only the /Extra/Stored_Kexts folder. If you think it might make a difference, I will try that.

Thanks.

It works fine for me. I used the dsdt.aml from the boot image in RAS' post (this is essential). Then I put ALC889a.kext directly into S/L/E. I also used the two Legacy HDA kexts from the "more kexts" link in RAS' post, though I don't think these were factors in getting it working. Then, I added the "-x32" flag to my boot.plist (I don't know if it works with the 64-Bit kernel, but even the Mac Pro uses 32-Bit, so who cares!). Finally, I ran Kext Utility and rebooted.

The result: I have s/pdif out and in working perfectly (I have the gigabyte spdif-in bracket). FYI, it's supposed to say "The selected device has no output controls." That's how digital audio works on the Mac. It just sends the bits straight from your application to the target device. You can still control the volume from your applications and your target devices.

One more thing: These kexts are safe to install in S/L/E. These don't replace Apple's kexts, so you won't have any trouble with software update.

You need to do that in addition to whatever you need to do to make your card work on a hackintosh setup. Some cards will work without further steps, some require driver installation, some require an additional kext and some won't work at all. I'd suggest some google searching.

I had the drivers installed before and thought it would work as soon as I removed the kext and rebuilt boot caches, but it didn't. I uninstalled using the ralink drivers, restarted, installed the drivers, and restarted again. The whole utility is a bit clumsy, but it all seems to work fine and the Airport Express can go back its previous socket/home. Thanks for the help, kp.

I'll look into restoring the ethernet functionality next.

EDIT: Although, it seems that removing IONetworkingFamily.kexy kills Time Machine...sigh.

I've got the UD5 / I7-920 combo working great, and am afraid to touch it since it's my primary daily driver computer.

Will this thread be covering upgrading this setup to Snow Leopard? I followed the DD steps to get going initially, and I'm looking forward to Snow (just ordered tonight).

Thanks for everyone's efforts to make this such an easy install!

A new thread will be started for Snow Leopard, which will include a new script with:

• Boot from EFI partition support, including view EFI partition in Finder
  • EFI strings support - Automatic parsing/naming of device strings, add or remove individual device strings
  • Error checking of EFI strings - checks for corrupt string and checks if device tree(s) in string matches system in use
  • Extended DSDT patching - including CMOS reset fix, HDEF and LAN device additions

Still my goal to release it this week, but I'm behind.

regards,

MAJ

Yes removing it does kill time machine. Sorry but I've got no idea how to fix that. You should be able to get your ethernet back though by extracting the Realtek driver.

I'm looking forward to being able to run dual monitors in 10.6. After that I'll only need to find a sleep/shutdown fix for Jmicron and everything will be perfect.

A new thread will be started for Snow Leopard, which will include a new script with:

• EFI strings support - Automatic parsing/naming of device strings, add or remove individual device strings
  • Error checking of EFI strings - checks for corrupt string and checks if device tree(s) in string matches system in use
  • Extended DSDT patching - including CMOS reset fix, HDEF and LAN device additions

regards,

MAJ

Fantastic! what a guy. Should be be planning to use another drive alongside my 10.5.7/ Chameleon RC.

PS Is there a template for putiing my system details in my sig like you?

Thanks

Jon

A very good news! :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry... 2 very good news!

MAJ,

Kabyl is testing a recompiled RealtekR1000.kext which works in 64 bit. You should wait and incorporate it in your script.

No word on a release date though, but I have tested it and it worked on a ex58-ud5 and a ex58-extreme. Bonjour and DHCP too.

Mike

MAJ,

You should wait and incorporate it in your script.

Oh Shock :) , God forbid you have to copy and paste the new realtekr1000 into a folder. The important part of DD's gift is his scripting abilities. A new kext should not hold him back. If anything he could just add the new kext after he comes out. 64 bit is garbage anyway, who has 32gb of ram(64bit's main purpose), let me rephrase that, who has 32gb of mac apps.

Please add a note in the script after kext building is done to inform people who are running your script in old leopard that they need to kextcache in single user mode. This will avoid confusion for the uninformed masses. Also in the main tutorial page tell the uninformed masses that if they want Voodoo kernel then they need to enter kernel command: blacklist=0, boot.plist to allow fakesmc.kext (reboot/shutdown fixer) to work its magic which does not happen when voodoo kernel is blacklisting Don’t Steal…kext. Also can you add a note in relation to the EBios fix for Hard Drives >= 1TB, this is crucial. Link to note.

Greate News!! Thanks for your endless efforts with us!

Also, this is a side from snow, but I have a question!

I tried to use your latest script for my EVGA mobo, but it won't boot showing only abrupt rebooting on and on...

Before your latest script, I think I was using your March version without no trouble.

So, I edited com.apple.boot.plist with "busratio=20" with the latest kernel with 10.5.8.

It works good. I've got a help of "ihaveredcouch's guide."(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172548&st=20&gopid=1217699entry1217699)

Could you kindly tell me what this means;

See, I'm running on 10.5.8 vanilla kernal with retail install, but only thing different from your guide is still using "busratio=20."

I thought once we updated to 10.5.7, "busratio=20" no longer needed.

Would this flag is to lose some performance in i7?

As a noobie, I don't have trouble using my system, but just curious...

Thanks and Have a good day!

regards,

MAJ

You da man!