[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

For those of you with the EVGA X58 MOBO I got SL 432 running on mine and here are the files I used .(both 32 and 64 bit boot fine)

The DSDT.aml file has been edited to correct the cmos reset issue.

sound is working via voodoo HDA

Ethernet working

graphics add your GFX string in the com.apple.boot

sleep not tested.

BTW in Snow leopard how do you hide all the folders and aliases in your root dir. (other than applications, extra, library, system, and users)

EVGAx58_SL_files.zip

For those of you with the EVGA X58 MOBO I got SL 432 running on mine and here are the files I used .(both 32 and 64 bit boot fine)

The DSDT.aml file has been edited to correct the cmos reset issue.

sound is working via voodoo HDA

Ethernet working

graphics add your GFX string in the com.apple.boot

sleep not tested.

BTW in Snow leopard how do you hide all the folders and aliases in your root dir. (other than applications, extra, library, system, and users)

Yeah, I found it odd that those files/folders were visible, too.

You can try in Terminal:

chflags hidden "/Volumes/YOUR_BOOT_DRIVE/FOLDER"

I'm at work, so can't verify if it works. Let us know.

MAJ

Hello all

I am wondering has anyone tried installing SL on EX58-DS4? I have tried using rest assured son's modified script of DD's. It works except I get the orange external icons and the drive seems to be read only. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also I have a Ati 4850 graphics card with one dvi, vga, and hdmi. I also have a Geforce GTX 260 with 2 dvi ports. Which card would be the easiest to get working and what method would you use.

I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thank you

rx7boy

Hello all

I am wondering has anyone tried installing SL on EX58-DS4? I have tried using rest assured son's modified script of DD's. It works except I get the orange external icons and the drive seems to be read only. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also I have a Ati 4850 graphics card with one dvi, vga, and hdmi. I also have a Geforce GTX 260 with 2 dvi ports. Which card would be the easiest to get working and what method would you use.

I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thank you

rx7boy

In response to the cards I use the GTX 260 and also have a gtx 285, they are both very easy. To install with DD's script you need to delete all the kexts in the graphics folder before running the script and then follow this guide by Kasakka when you've successfully booted (if you dont clear the graphics folder then it will hang at boot or kp)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1178921

Another option is to use Netkas' injector but the efi string yields better results for most.

Edit: After adding the Efi string you need to install the nVidia GeForce drivers from either nVidia's website or Asus' and then reboot. You must do it in this order (create string... then install driver.. then reboot)

This is a bit of a newby question, but how are people installing SL? Is it just a case of inserting the SL install DVD instead of the normal Leopard one?

Also, are there any specific kexts that need to be changed if I'm going to be using SL? I'm wondering whether it's possible to use the purchasable upgrade disc to do it.

In response to the cards I use the GTX 260 and also have a gtx 285, they are both very easy. To install with DD's script you need to delete all the kexts in the graphics folder before running the script and then follow this guide by Kasakka when you've successfully booted (if you dont clear the graphics folder then it will hang at boot or kp)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1178921

Another option is to use Netkas' injector but the efi string yields better results for most.

Edit: After adding the Efi string you need to install the nVidia GeForce drivers from either nVidia's website or Asus' and then reboot. You must do it in this order (create string... then install driver.. then reboot)

So I would download the gtx 285 driver for my gtx 260? I am assuming it would include the GTX 260.

Did you have external orange drive icons in you intial SL setup also or were yours fine?

Did you just run DD's script or did you also right after the script boot in -s -x32 and do the kext stuff that 'rest assured son' did?

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

rx7boy

Yeah, I found it odd that those files/folders were visible, too.

You can try in Terminal:

chflags hidden "/Volumes/YOUR_BOOT_DRIVE/FOLDER"

I'm at work, so can't verify if it works. Let us know.

MAJ

MAJ

did some more searching and found the same thing. works great for files and folders. but not alias.

Anyway I did a clean install and now I only have the normal folders in the root just like a real mac. Also I was able to add all the KEXT to /Extra/Extensions and it works perfectly so far.

BTW I think the issue with the files/folders not being hidden is caused by the chameleon installer 431. The second time I did a fresh install noticed that before installing the boot loader it was normal looking. so I install chameleon manually and it worked fine.

Did you have any luck with HDA kexts I hate using this voodooHDA.kext. The legacy HDA files I was running in 10.5.7 dont work in 10.6

thanks

So I would download the gtx 285 driver for my gtx 260? I am assuming it would include the GTX 260.

Did you have external orange drive icons in you intial SL setup also or were yours fine?

Did you just run DD's script or did you also right after the script boot in -s -x32 and do the kext stuff that 'rest assured son' did?

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

rx7boy

I was merely responding to the question on graphics cards, and as I previously had issues with the card myself I thought I would share my experience (plus people are PM-ing me with the same issue).

The GTX 285 drivers support all the GTX cards in the series (possibly not 295 as its multi-cpu), the graphics string tells the machine how to handle the individual card properties such as VRam, the drivers enable quartz,dual screen and other necessities.

In response to SL I have not even attempted it yet, and as its not vital for me at the moment I can wait for DD to produce another wonder script. His original script gave me a fully working, not a single issue, mac on the first day of using it (bar graphics which took longer to find a solution).

I'd love to have such an easy time again with SL

Hi

If you can give us how you succeeded installing SL, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

JP

Hello JP

OK here it is. first off this is what I had installed and hardware specs.

OSX 10.5.7

EVGA x58 MOBO

i7 920

coolermaster v8

evga gtx 9800 GTX+ SC

OSC plat. 6 gig

1 TB western digital black

500 gig seagate

system OC to 3.9 ghz

geekebench score of ~13000

What you will need to install 10.6

10.6 image (I used build 432)

kexts I have included in this post

dsdt.aml

chameleon R431

chameleon v2 snow leopard support

usb drive with about 10 gig space.

start off by booting into your working osx drive.

Prep your second HD (USB or SATA ) usuall GUID and erase, name it snow leopard for now

mount osx 10.6 image

press command+shift+G and type the path /Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

At this path you will find OSInstall.mpkg run this.

run through the install and change destination drive to snow leopard, customize as needed.

When the install is finished run chameleon R431.pkg change destination drive to snow leopard all other options are default.

Then run chameleon V2 snow leopard support change destination drive to snow leopard all other options are default.

Copy the dsdt.aml to your root in snow leopard.

ok the zip file I included in this post is my entire /EXTRA folder. you can replace the one your chameleon made with the exception of GFX (my GFX string is for a EVGA GTX+ 9800 if you have the same card leave it) and UUID (replace your UUID with the one I have in com.apple.boot )

Once your have done this your ready to boot.

restart and press esc at boot for boot selection and select your snow leopard drive.

Good Luck

Extra.zip

Hi Airwalk776

thanks a lot!!!

I'm going to try right away.

By the way, did you have any trouble using SL?

I heard many people saying that permission problem is there when installed directly form Leopard HDD to new SL HDD.

So, they were doing like booting with Snow HDD and reinstall Snow again...I actually didn't understand this fully.

I have about the same spec as you have except VGA (3870). That shouldn't have problem.

Anyway, I will try and give you feedback.

Thanks again.

Hi Airwalk776

thanks a lot!!!

I'm going to try right away.

By the way, did you have any trouble using SL?

I heard many people saying that permission problem is there when installed directly form Leopard HDD to new SL HDD.

So, they were doing like booting with Snow HDD and reinstall Snow again...I actually didn't understand this fully.

I have about the same spec as you have except VGA (3870). That shouldn't have problem.

Anyway, I will try and give you feedback.

Thanks again.

the method of installing kexts has changed a little bit. Right now the only automated way is to use KextUtility2.3.2

added to this thread. Just drag the kext you want to install in /S/L/E on top the of KextUtility icon and it will install it.

If you want to update the /extra/extensions boot mkext drag the /extra/extensions folder ontop of the kextutiltiy icon and it will make a new mkext in the /Extra folder.

Note this is only after you boot into SL

KextUtility.v2.3.2.full.Snow.Leo.x64.ready.by.cVad.dmg.zip

Hi

Thanks for quick reply...

I guess I'm going to face some trouble with my 3870...

Let' see!

Thanks

Hi again

Just quick question...

Did you just use your 10.5.8 DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard without editing at all?

And, since I followed ihaveredcouch's guide, on my com.apple.boot.plit, I see the boot flag, "busratio=20" still there, can I just copy this into the extra folder of Snow Leopard?

Sorry to bother you. If you have any idea, let me know.

Thanks

the method of installing kexts has changed a little bit. Right now the only automated way is to use KextUtility2.3.2

added to this thread. Just drag the kext you want to install in /S/L/E on top the of KextUtility icon and it will install it.

If you want to update the /extra/extensions boot mkext drag the /extra/extensions folder ontop of the kextutiltiy icon and it will make a new mkext in the /Extra folder.

Note this is only after you boot into SL

You didnt really answer his question. He wanted to know about installing from old leopard initially. He needs to use the kextcache command in single user mode as present in all the snow kitty tutorials.

Hello JP

OK here it is. first off this is what I had installed and hardware specs.

OSX 10.5.7

EVGA x58 MOBO

i7 920

coolermaster v8

evga gtx 9800 GTX+ SC

OSC plat. 6 gig

1 TB western digital black

500 gig seagate

system OC to 3.9 ghz

geekebench score of ~13000

What you will need to install 10.6

10.6 image (I used build 432)

kexts I have included in this post

dsdt.aml

chameleon R431

chameleon v2 snow leopard support

usb drive with about 10 gig space.

start off by booting into your working osx drive.

Prep your second HD (USB or SATA ) usuall GUID and erase, name it snow leopard for now

mount osx 10.6 image

press command+shift+G and type the path /Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

At this path you will find OSInstall.mpkg run this.

run through the install and change destination drive to snow leopard, customize as needed.

When the install is finished run chameleon R431.pkg change destination drive to snow leopard all other options are default.

Then run chameleon V2 snow leopard support change destination drive to snow leopard all other options are default.

Copy the dsdt.aml to your root in snow leopard.

ok the zip file I included in this post is my entire /EXTRA folder. you can replace the one your chameleon made with the exception of GFX (my GFX string is for a EVGA GTX+ 9800 if you have the same card leave it) and UUID (replace your UUID with the one I have in com.apple.boot )

Once your have done this your ready to boot.

restart and press esc at boot for boot selection and select your snow leopard drive.

Good Luck

Woot! You need to post this in a seperate thread sir, i was about to make one but this guide is much better. How's that sleepenabler.kext work? I'm at work right now and cant try it out. I got snow on my notebook.

And from my research you dont need the disabler.kext if you have nullcpupowermanagement.kext. Also you can remove dsmos.kext and install the latest fakesmc.kext it'll enhance your boot times. Your system recognizing correctly? 4,1?

Woot! You need to post this in a seperate thread sir, i was about to make one but this guide is much better. How's that sleepenabler.kext work? I'm at work right now and cant try it out. I got snow on my notebook.

And from my research you dont need the disabler.kext if you have nullcpupowermanagement.kext. Also you can remove dsmos.kext and install the latest fakesmc.kext it'll enhance your boot times. Your system recognizing correctly? 4,1?

yeap Its working at 4,1

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro 4,1

Processor Speed: 3.86 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 756 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.00C1.B00

I still have to try all the little tweaks like the fakesmc and the sleep fix

I'll try it tonight and let you know how it goes.

BTW what are you using for audio on you evga mobo? Mine works with the voodooHDA but I would much rather use he appleHDA

I'd also like to know if it's possible to display Chameleon v2 RC2 and Boot image in 1920x1080 resolution. I added a boot flag with 1920x1080x32, but it's still too small and does not have correct format (which would be 16:9)

Concerning the clock problem I found a solution long ago, but it's still working. Don't know who made this fix, however. I uploaded the time fix below, just install and you'll be fine. I hope someone will port that to snow leo!

Leopard Time Fix

could you post another link to that time fix?

yeap Its working at 4,1

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro 4,1

Processor Speed: 3.86 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 756 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.00C1.B00

I still have to try all the little tweaks like the fakesmc and the sleep fix

I'll try it tonight and let you know how it goes.

BTW what are you using for audio on you evga mobo? Mine works with the voodooHDA but I would much rather use he appleHDA

Sweet, looks good. I purchased an usb audio adapter with an in/output jack works perfectly for less than 5 dollars lol. I also have the logitech zcinema speakers and they're usb as well so i've never had a problem with audio.

A new thread will be started for Snow Leopard, which will include a new script with:

• Boot from EFI partition support, including view EFI partition in Finder
  • EFI strings support - Automatic parsing/naming of device strings, add or remove individual device strings
  • Error checking of EFI strings - checks for corrupt string and checks if device tree(s) in string matches system in use
  • Extended DSDT patching - including CMOS reset fix, HDEF and LAN device additions

Still my goal to release it this week, but I'm behind.

regards,

MAJ

Can't wait for this to happen! I am in the same boat having everything up and running with previous DD script. Can't wait for snow leopard.

...I'm also assuming that your booting snow from an usb drive? My sata drivers arent kicking in with this method

I did the 1st install on my usb drive and repeated the process on the sata drive.

One thing to check is make sure your sata drives are set for achi and you are using the intel controller.

FYi.. by defaut for some reason Apple decided not to show hard drives on the desktop. got o finder preferences and put a check mark in Hard disks under "show these items on the desktop:"