[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Finally...everything seems to be up and running.

I do have a few questions, though:

1. My RAM shows up @ 1600MHz and the Processor at 3.2GHz. I have made no changes in the BIOS to overclock (yet)...any ideas on why this might be? (I would naturally expect 2.66GHz/1066MHz)

2. All cores are recognized, but they run quite hot (~46-50C). I am running in a Lian Li PC-B10 (which might increase temps a bit in exchange for noise), but also have a thermalright true black 120. Is this temperature (at stock settings...unless something screwy is going on with 1) consistent with what others are seeing?

3. I have a PCI 802.11N card installed, but system profiler doesn't see any PCI cards...I looked through the BIOS, but there is nothing there in terms of PCI activation or anything...any ideas? The card is the Encore ENLWI-N and it apparently works like an ethernet port which then opens a utility to connect to wifi networks. I am still using the macbook to provide my computer with an internet connection. I would like sever the umbilical and use the machine on its own.

I'll keep on playing with the machine...

In case this helps anyone, the steps I took to get the machine up and running with a GTX card are as follows:

1. Delete kexts in graphics folder of DD's script, Install normally.

2. Follow instructions on post 198 here and create EFI string.

The string will be copied to the com.apple.Boot.plist in Library/Preferences/Systemconfigurations. Copy the string from that location. Be sure to include "key>device-properties/<key" in your copy.

copy plist to /Extra.

3. Install nVIDIA drivers; repair permissions; reboot.

Thanks for all the help over the last few days!

Alright, so far it seems ok, but I have two problems maybe you guys can help me with.

I have a problem with restarts. The screen keeps turning grey during the install process and tells me to hold the power button down and restart. For example it will get to 20% and then tell me to restart. When I restart I'll have to reinstall up to 20%, but it will get further, let's say 40%. Then I'll have to restart and reinstall up to 40%, but it will get to 60%, and so on. Has anyone had this?

Also, I have 2 320GB Hard drives, but Kalyway is only showing 2 128GB hard drives. Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

Alright, so far it seems ok, but I have two problems maybe you guys can help me with.

I have a problem with restarts. The screen keeps turning grey during the install process and tells me to hold the power button down and restart. For example it will get to 20% and then tell me to restart. When I restart I'll have to reinstall up to 20%, but it will get further, let's say 40%. Then I'll have to restart and reinstall up to 40%, but it will get to 60%, and so on. Has anyone had this?

Also, I have 2 320GB Hard drives, but Kalyway is only showing 2 128GB hard drives. Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

I had the identical problems. The gray screen is a kernel panic. Go into settings, energy settings, and disable sleep and hard disk sleep. I got mine installed through kalyway but had to move the mouse and windows a lot to keep it from locking up. It went slowly too.

The hard drives are not configured correctly in bios. At the end of the instructions for using the script there are bios screenshots you need to look at and match. You basically just need to set the SATA mode to AHCI.

Hope this helps!

Wow so many questions lately that can be answered with just a little bit of google searching and they aren't even relative to this thread.

I know for a fact that dual monitor doesn't work on the 4890. Apparently it does get dual monitor function in SL. I heard that the 4870 can in 10.5.7 but I'm not 100% sure. Don't know anything about GTX 285 you will have to do your own research.

About This Mac doesn't display correct information unless you use some work around. It doesn't effect your performance but if you want to fix it for aesthetics then the question has been asked, and answered, time and time again in this thread.

There's been some posts discussing Core Temperatures in the last couple of pages of this thread. Check them for info.

Question about the wireless PCI card is decent. IONetworkingFamily kext seems to interfere with alot of wireless PCI cards. So you can remove that kext to allow your PCI card to work (assuming your card works out of the box). Apparently you can extract the RealtekR1000 kext from the IONetworkingFamily and use that to prevent losing ethernet but I haven't tested my ethernet.

For setting up RAID you will either need to use a RAID controller or the White Jmicron SATA ports. Using Jmicron currently prevents Mac OS X from being able to enter sleep. I've made posts on RAID 0 in the past in this thread so you can look them up for more info. In regards to being able to clone I think it should be possible but you'd still need to do the Chameleon install first (step 2 of the script). I'm not a 100% sure though so you might want to do some google searching to see if anyone has done it before.

Just a word about HyperThreading on the i7.

Yesterday I updated the bios of my EX58-UD5 from F5 to F8 (latest stable bios just released by Gigabyte)

Everything went fine, and the boot sequence is much faster than before.

Then just for fun, I tried to disable HyperThreading (HT) in the bios. Just to see how OS will behave with 4 cores instead of 8.

I then spotted that the machine was much faster in this configuration!

I was playing with FCP7 and Color 1.5 (sending a sequence from FCP to Color, then balance the colors, render a new sequence and return it to FCP):

With HT on:

the encoding of my sequence within color was slow (~8 frames/sec) and my CPU was getting hot (more than 70°C/158°F as the motherboard CPU alarm beeped a couple of times)

With HT off:

the encoding is almost 4 times faster (30 frames/sec) and the CPU a little bit cooler (The peak temperature was 65°C/149°F)

I need to perform further tests, but it seems that HT dramatically slows down performances.

Did some of you noticed better performances with HT off ?

It may depend on the application, but I am surprised to see that the latest version of pro softwares from Apple does not use a feature available on the lastest mac pro

That Hyperthreading Stuff is interesting. Although I'm just guessing I expect hyperthreading will perform much better in SL.

I certainly would of expected Color 1.5 to make proper use of hyperthreading but maybe you could try x264 encoding with handbrake. I've seen people say they get better performance with HT using handbrake. You could also run iStat Menus and look at the CPU usage while using Color 1.5

You should also be able to overclock a bit higher with HT turned off. Don't forget that if you get near 100°C for any of your cores your CPU will be throttled down and to keep temperature at safe levels.

Just a note on the sleep fix.

It appears to be a fix for people who had sleep working with 10.5.7 but can't with 10.5.8. From what I understand it won't help anyone else.

With HT off: the encoding is almost 4 times faster (30 frames/sec) and the CPU a little bit cooler (The peak temperature was 65°C/149°F)

I'm still on bios version F5 and my experience is that encoding h264 video with handbrake 0.9.3 with HyperThreading enabled is 23 % faster than with Hyperthreading off.

My guess is that FCP may not be properly optimized for multicore operation, and gets confused when there are too many cores.

Hi, I thought I'd ask this question in this thread since I used the info here to build my latest system...slightly different mb...but pretty much the same.

I'm totally befuddled by this situation. I've found it pretty easy to set up all my Chameleon setups for my different systems. When I built the no. 1 system under my sig (ga-ex58-ud4p) I basically used the same Chameleon kexts etc. as I did the my dq6 system. Just had to change my video card efi string for my com.apple.Boot file. Everything is loaded and works great. Only sleep (which I never use anyway) doesn't work.

A buddy of mine bought this same mb and I invited him to come down and I'd show him how to build his system. I installed OSX v10.5.8 vanilla on a non-i7 system and tested it out on my own i7 system with a USB Chameleon stick...worked perfectly.

When I tried it in my friend's system we got the dreaded gsod (gray screen of death). He has several pci cards that I don't have so we pulled all of them out. He also has a mixture of ide and sata drives, so we pulled all them out too, except for the sata OSX disk...still get the gsod. His gfx card is a bfg nVidia 9800GT...mine is a Gigabyte 9800GT. I didn't really want to pull my card, but I have 2 other nVidia card that I know work under OSX (I just pulled them out of working systems). Both the 7600GS and 7050GT got the same gsod.

His ram is OCZ 1600mhz...mine is OCZ 1333mhz...both are ddr3. Both of us set our bios as auto so they show as 1066mhz and again he gets the gsod. The only differences are the ram, the gfx card, and the psu. Also, I'm using an i7-950 and he's using a i7-920. Could any of them be the problem? I should add that the Chameleon bootloader v2 rc2 USB stick works on his system and Windows 7 does work when we re-installed the removed drives.

In case you ask, we checked that we both have the same bios revisions and we set the bioses identical to the way mine is set up that works. There's probably something we're just missing, but as I said in the beginning, I'm now befuddled about this. Any possibilities would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys.

I have this exact MOBO and even the same CPU as Digital Dreamer.

The problem is, I can't get to part where I have a running MAC OS.

Therefore I can't edit my initrd.img.

I've been looking forever on how to edit this little thing outside on a running MAC OS,

but I couldn't find an answer.

What should I do?

Surely there's a way to perform this boot-132/vanilla installation without already using a patched kernel...

Hi guys.

I have this exact MOBO and even the same CPU as Digital Dreamer.

The problem is, I can't get to part where I have a running MAC OS.

Therefore I can't edit my initrd.img.

I've been looking forever on how to edit this little thing outside on a running MAC OS,

but I couldn't find an answer.

What should I do?

Surely there's a way to perform this boot-132/vanilla installation without already using a patched kernel...

Friendly advice: make you life simple, do not attempt a boot132 type install on an i9xx processor board. Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done easily? No. The major hurdle to boot132 on i9 is getting a MacOS Retail DVD that contains 10.5.7.

Get a second HD and one of the distro OSes, iATKOSv7 is one of the easiest to get to run. Once you have a running MacOS on your machine, use DDs script to create a vanilla install on the other HD. You can be done in an hour or so once all the pieces of hardware are gathered together and you are using DDs method. Trying boot132 with the normal MacOS Retail at 10.5.5 or less and you are in for an interesting several days of "fun"

Hey everyone,

Decided to take the plunge to 10.5.8 today, just one little problem.....Update went fine, restarted then KP....... Booted into Kaly recovery drive, re-applied patch, restart, kp......

But now when i boot into kaly, it wont mount the leopard drive at all, nor does it have an associated block device in /dev. I've tried almost all i can think off, including a total re-install of kaly but to no avail. If I can just get kaly to see the drive im sure i could fix the KPs.

Any help would be greatly appriciated,

DarkD

Edit: nvm, seems to have fixed itself. Tried Kaly install disk for terminal or diskutil and nothing. Then tried to boot into my fedora usb. Somehow it booted into my kaly usb (dont know, was sure i selected the fedora one) and now it can see it?!?!?! Don't really know what happened........blaming it on the only safe suspect........ starscream! ^_^

Just a word about HyperThreading on the i7.

<SNIP>

That's not too surprising.

For code that is well optimized, multi-threaded, and is running short compute loops on lots of data, HT gets in the way. For lots of other code that is not optimized or is even poorly written, that can be split up in independent paths during run time, HT can really help out.

For those that would know, is there any thoughts on implementing CPUs with HT that can be enabled/disabled via software flags? I'd think a smart compiler/programmer would enable/disable HT depending on whether code would benefit.

MAJ

MAJ,

I've just got the latest build of Snow Leopard (10a432) the supposed "GM" build.

I've been trying to boot it using your 4b script and associated instructions but I'm having no joy (kernel panic on startup). Haven't investigated too much yet although I notice that it always knocks out the ethernet ports - requiring a CMOS reset after.

Before I lose a weekend troubleshooting, is there a possibility something has changed with this latest build that makes the 4b script/kexts malfunction?

It's probably unlikely but just thought I'd see if anyone has had any issues/success.

thanks

k/

I hope Digital_Dreamer doesn't mind that I editted his script a bit to work with Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432. If so, please let me know and I'll remove the link!

Install Mac OS X Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432 (final build) in 32 bits mode on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5:

Download the editted X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer_BETA (originally from digital_dreamer) here: link.

Enter your password and choose the harddisk to install Snow Leopard to.

Run the entire install sequence, press 1

Choose "Chameleon v2 RC2" as your bootloader!

Once you are done with the installation, boot from the harddisk you used to install Snow Leopard.

ATTENTION!

Don't boot into Snow Leopard yet, but go to Single User mode by typing:

-x32 -s

When you are in the console, type this:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

The last step will rebuild the Extensions.mkext cache while booted in Snow Leopard (it won't work when booted in Leopard).

Reboot the computer and boot Snow Leopard!

Hope it works for you!

EDIT: This is 32bit, because 64bit isn't working for me yet. Perhaps somebody else succeeds in this?

I had the identical problems. The gray screen is a kernel panic. Go into settings, energy settings, and disable sleep and hard disk sleep. I got mine installed through kalyway but had to move the mouse and windows a lot to keep it from locking up. It went slowly too.

The hard drives are not configured correctly in bios. At the end of the instructions for using the script there are bios screenshots you need to look at and match. You basically just need to set the SATA mode to AHCI.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately nothing changed :D. Disabling sleep mode means dragging the slider to never correct? I still get the grey screen when I get to installing AdditionalSpeechVoices. One thing I realized is that when I installed Kalyway I did not check the Vanilla Kernel install box. How can I add vanilla kernel and could that be causing the problems?

Should I try another distro such as iATKOS?

Is there a way I can check my disc to make sure that it's not scratched or the data is not corrupt?

Also, I have the problem where the drop down menus are blank. I'm using the EVGA 9800GTX+ Superclocked graphics card with 512MB. Can anyone tell me a fix to this?

MAJ,

I've just got the latest build of Snow Leopard (10a432) the supposed "GM" build.

I've been trying to boot it using your 4b script and associated instructions but I'm having no joy (kernel panic on startup). Haven't investigated too much yet although I notice that it always knocks out the ethernet ports - requiring a CMOS reset after.

<SNIP>

Did you install the decrypted files or new decryptor?

Solar and Netkas has released a updated dsmos.kext that works with 10A432 and 10A421. Doesn't require the decrypted files or supporting scripts like the previous solution.

I hope to release another beta of my script with these new kexts for SL in a few days.

Cybex,

Yes, building the boot cache in single-user mode is definitely a way to jump-start booting into SL. This is a major challenge, as building a boot cache with x86_64 kexts is not possible in Leo. You can also rebuild with both the /Extensions and /Extra kexts together:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/ /Extra/Stored_Kexts

It can be a bit disconcerting typing all that at the prompt with the word wrapping overwriting what you previously typed. But, remember, everything typed is retained, so don't be bothered by what you see.

regards,

MAJ

Did you install the decrypted files or new decryptor?

I only used the files included with your script and followed your instructions which specified to install dsmos.kext into S/L/E.

I hope to release another beta of my script with these new kexts for SL in a few days.

I think I'll wait for this :D

Thanks MAJ

I hope this did not double post. If it did sorry.

I am using the ud4p with digital dreamer's script, all works well except for sleep, but that is related to having the 4870 vid card.

All I want to know is, does the front audio work for other's.

I have looked everywhere and don't know if I am looking for a solution that does not exist.

Thank You

Unfortunately nothing changed ;). Disabling sleep mode means dragging the slider to never correct? I still get the grey screen when I get to installing AdditionalSpeechVoices. One thing I realized is that when I installed Kalyway I did not check the Vanilla Kernel install box. How can I add vanilla kernel and could that be causing the problems?

Should I try another distro such as iATKOS?

Is there a way I can check my disc to make sure that it's not scratched or the data is not corrupt?

Also, I have the problem where the drop down menus are blank. I'm using the EVGA 9800GTX+ Superclocked graphics card with 512MB. Can anyone tell me a fix to this?

That's odd. I literally had to sit by the computer and move the installer window around every few minutes to stop it from giving me a kernel panic. I hope you fixed your hard drive problem though. Did you uncheck the 'put the hard disk to when possible' box? I'm not sure if it was that or sleep that caused the problem for me. Don't mess with vanilla anything. X58 chipsets can't boot anything vanilla until 10.5.7 when they added support for the Nehalem core. I don't know how to tell you if your disk is scratched or bad, but I doubt that's the problem. You could try a different distro if you want. Many must be booted with the busratio=20 flag and a voodoo kernel. I haven't tried any other distro. Maybe you could also try installing it through Kalyway in safe mode.

I have a question about sleep in 10.5.7. Sleep worked great for me 90% of the time with my old graphics card, but 10% of the time would come back with a black screen. I'm fairly certain it's a graphics issue as that's the only non-vanilla stuff on my install. However, when I overclocked my machine to 3.6 Ghz sleep almost never works, I consistently get a black screen. My overclock settings might be wrong, I'm not great at doing this. Right now I have my core voltage (CPU vcore) at 1.17500V and my QPI/VTT voltage to 1.36V. Is this too low for the overclock? I'm trying to keep temperatures down as it currently idles at around 43º with these settings.

How do I enter Kalyway in safe mode? And what is that busratio flag?

Do I really need to do a retail install? If I can get Kalyway to register all 4 cores then I think I'll be fine with that. Right now Kalyway is running great and is recognizing all my audio devices, so if there is no speed advantage to a retail install I don't need to.

That's not too surprising.

For code that is well optimized, multi-threaded, and is running short compute loops on lots of data, HT gets in the way. For lots of other code that is not optimized or is even poorly written, that can be split up in independent paths during run time, HT can really help out.

For those that would know, is there any thoughts on implementing CPUs with HT that can be enabled/disabled via software flags? I'd think a smart compiler/programmer would enable/disable HT depending on whether code would benefit.

MAJ

HT isn't a flag to enable in a program unless you're dealing with a cpu hogging program in which case, your code writing skills have to be nothing short of amazing else you get a software like "Windows" :( if i recall correct the compiler decides based on your source. and usually in low/entry level programing (assembly style).

i think.

I hope Digital_Dreamer doesn't mind that I editted his script a bit to work with Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432. If so, please let me know and I'll remove the link!

Install Mac OS X Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432 (final build) in 32 bits mode on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5:

Download the editted X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer_BETA (originally from digital_dreamer) here: link.

Enter your password and choose the harddisk to install Snow Leopard to.

Run the entire install sequence, press 1

Choose "Chameleon v2 RC2" as your bootloader!

Once you are done with the installation, boot from the harddisk you used to install Snow Leopard.

ATTENTION!

Don't boot into Snow Leopard yet, but go to Single User mode by typing:

-x32 -s

When you are in the console, type this:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

The last step will rebuild the Extensions.mkext cache while booted in Snow Leopard (it won't work when booted in Leopard).

Reboot the computer and boot Snow Leopard!

Hope it works for you!

EDIT: This is 32bit, because 64bit isn't working for me yet. Perhaps somebody else succeeds in this?

64bit won't load without EFI, you can be sure of that, and you'll need all the kexts in 64 bit also else it just doesn't load them...

64bit won't load without EFI, you can be sure of that, and you'll need all the kexts in 64 bit also else it just doesn't load them...

I know, that's why it's loading 32 bit only now :)

All kexts in that package are 64/32bits, but ATY_init is 32bit only for now...