[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I used EFI Studio. You will need to copy the hex string and paste it into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist between the following tags:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE_HERE</string>

WARNING: If you already have a hex string there then the process is way more complicated. You will actually need to generate one device plist containing all your devices (Graphics, Ethernet, Audio) and then convert it to a single hex string prior to copy and pasting.

Here some clues to the 10.5.8 sleep problem. I removed disabler.kext and sleep started working. Now before you try doing that please keep in mind the following:

1) My idle temperature rose to 67 C

2) I have a heavily modded DSDT (I've been reading this blog http://aserebln.blogspot.com/)

3) I KPed at shutdown

Basically what I'm saying is don't do it. I just thought that this information might give some insight into the problem and help precipitate a fix somehow. I'll be sticking with 10.5.7 until a remedy can be sorted out.

Hi FU1L1TY,

If you are using my dsdt patch for audio remove any efistring realted to audio. Efistudio for audio string did not work on my install. did you edit the device path manually with gfxutil. Are you using AZAL or has your dsdt HDEF?

Thanks Al

That DSDT patch for Audio on the previous page is for 10.5.8. It doesn't work for 10.5.7. I'm not sure if it requires an EFI string for the audio to work. The post never mentions an EFI string. I would remove it to see if that makes a difference.
Yes, I have a working edited DSDT patch for audio in 10.5.8 based on aschar1's instructions.

However, now I have removed the DSDT patch, rebooted, and am trying to use an EFI string instead.

What EFIStudio gives me doesn't work (xml included in previous post).

Did you edit the xml, or do anything else to make audio work on the GA-EX58-UD5

@aschar1: The DevicePath that gfxutil gives you is the same as that which EFIStudio gives you.

Yes, I have a working edited DSDT patch for audio in 10.5.8 based on aschar1's instructions.

However, now I have removed the DSDT patch, rebooted, and am trying to use an EFI string instead.

What EFIStudio gives me doesn't work (xml included in previous post).

Did you edit the xml, or do anything else to make audio work on the GA-EX58-UD5

@aschar1: The DevicePath that gfxutil gives you is the same as that which EFIStudio gives you.

For me EFI Strings did no work either . I already checked gfxutil and EFIStudio : But thanks for the advice

Hello,

I hope this is the right place for asking these. I'm trying to install Mac OSX to my system and I couldn't even see the Mac OSX desktop yet.

I'm using iAtkos v7 DVD. I don't know what an EFI install method is. I just follow the instructions of MacOSX iAtkos 10.5.7 install on according to its tutorial.

First my system specs are:

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Mainboard

Zotac Nvidia 295 GTX VGA Adaptor

3x2GB Corshair 1600 MHZ Ram

1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

DVD Rom Drive

Etc...

I have 3 partitions on my harddisk. The first one is Vista installed partition. The second one is the one that I created after booting from iAtkos DVD. (Journaled)

By the way, the first time I tried to boot from DVD the computer kept resetting itself while trying to get into apple logo just after the boot. So I entered the command mach_970. This time it worked.

After getting into the install screen I selected the partition and erased it to get ready for install.

Then I entered in customize section and selected different drivers and packages. (I had several install attempts with different options.) Copying files and until the reboot prompt everything went ok.

After reboot I ejected the DVD and waited to the install process continued. But after it rebooted the screen froze at the gray apple logo. There was no any activity on my harddrive either.

Well the best thing to do is to reboot by entering -v.

I entered -v and it started to load a lot of things... But of course there i s a point it stopped.

I tried different settings. I get AHCI dependencie errors when the hard drives are set to AHCI mode in BIOS. I get firewire secure errors and it says full secured. I disable it from BIOS and that error dissappears too.

I got some of the following errors too in different attempts:

"USB Notification: The device "EHCI Root HUB Simulation" @ 0xfd000000 has caused an overcurrent dondition. The hub it is attached to has been desabled. "

"warning: invalid kernel ip, won't attempt to handle trap

panic(cpu 3 caller 0x001AC599): Kernel trap at 0x0013e7bf, type 14=page fault, registers:"

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI(3.4.3)@...........

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(3.4.4)@0x813df000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(9.9.9)@0x78157000

"

And I also got still waiting for root error...

I'm trying to follow this guide here but I don't understand too much. Because I don't know what a running script is? Or I don't know how to manage the kext files and which to manage... I can't even get on the desktop either.

For the last time I wanted to write here. If I can't get to install it I'll give up trying this.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

So you are running 10.5.8 fine? I upgraded to Chameleon v2 RC2 and same thing with the Kernel panics. I have the JMicronATAInjector.kext.

The panic displays:

"Backtrace coninues....

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace...

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA(1.7.1a2).....

dependancy: com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib(1.7.1a2)...

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily(1.7.1a2)...

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.9fc5)...

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.9fc5)...

dependancy: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.1)..."

Kernel version is new. 9.8.0. It seems to be an audio driver issue for me.

I had a similar panic after updating to 10.5.8 on a GA-EX58-UD5 when using the following audio kexts;

HDAEnabler.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

The line out cable was plugged into the black rear speaker out jack at the time, because I had previously tried enabling audio with an edited DSDT.aml which only works on this jack.

I changed the cable to the green line out jack and successfully rebooted without a panic.

I had a similar panic after updating to 10.5.8 on a GA-EX58-UD5 when using the following audio kexts;

HDAEnabler.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

The line out cable was plugged into the black rear speaker out jack at the time, because I had previously tried enabling audio with an edited DSDT.aml which only works on this jack.

I changed the cable to the green line out jack and successfully rebooted without a panic.

Well for my part I'd rather wait until there might be an updated 10.5.8 script from DD. After all, my 10.5.7 is running very smoothly.

Since we will be working all soon with SL, why bother at all with an additional update???

Cheers, Mike

Well for my part I'd rather wait until there might be an updated 10.5.8 script from DD. After all, my 10.5.7 is running very smoothly.

Since we will be working all soon with SL, why bother at all with an additional update???

Cheers, Mike

Are you certain that this is a problem specific to 10.5.8?

When I was running 10.5.7 I had the cable plugged into the green line out jack, and never tried booting with it plugged into the black one.

Hi all, ive used the x58installer script to add chameleon, kext's etc onto a usb stick that i can startup from and everything is working great except for a few small boot related issues.

1) time machine logo is re-appearing in the menu bar after i've removed it after every boot

2) logic and final cut are asking me to re-enter my serial numbers after every boot

im thinking its something in the com.apple.boot.plist or the smbios but im just beginning to understand how all of this works. any help would be awesome. thanks

ok i ran digitaldreamers scripts, I have a working 10.5.7 install. In order to get wireless working I bought a Belkin Wireless USB adaptor (F5D8053) and used drivers from totallybonkers (who modified Ralink drivers). This worked on my iatkos v7 installation, but not on this one. So I grabbed the IONetworkingFamily.kext from iatkos and now I have wireless.

one problem so far:

when trying to set up time machine and select my drive i get this error:

"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

Any ideas appreciated, thanks a lot

Hi all, ive used the x58installer script to add chameleon, kext's etc onto a usb stick that i can startup from and everything is working great except for a few small boot related issues.

1) time machine logo is re-appearing in the menu bar after i've removed it after every boot

2) logic and final cut are asking me to re-enter my serial numbers after every boot

im thinking its something in the com.apple.boot.plist or the smbios but im just beginning to understand how all of this works. any help would be awesome. thanks

It sounds like your UUID has changed or does not exist anymore. Be sure you are using UUID.kext in your /Extra/Stored_Extensions folder. You should also remove <SMUUID> from smbios.plist. I found that not to be reliable 100% of the time. To find out what your UUID used to be go to /Users/[YOURUSERNAME]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/. You should see a bunch of file names followed by long hex strings. Take that long hex string and compare it to what is stored in UUID.kext in a file called info.plist. You can change it if you need to. That should fix the problem.

Hi FU1L1TY,

If you are using my dsdt patch for audio remove any efistring realted to audio. Efistudio for audio string did not work on my install. did you edit the device path manually with gfxutil. Are you using AZAL or has your dsdt HDEF?

I edited my DSDT to change AZAL to HDEF and then recompiled. That's the only audio related change I made to DSDT. I created an HDEF EFI string using EFI studio. I am currently using 10.5.7. My onboard sound doesn't actually work but at least MainStage 2 will launch. Before i installed the string, I could not use MainStage 2.

Removing any Disabler (NullCPUPwoermanagement.kext) for AppleIntelCpupowermanagement on Snowy enables Sleep. Same as with 10.5.8

This is not a solution yet! Your CPU gets overheated and causes System Performance decrease.

Benchmarks will go down remakably Geekbench64 drops from 11500 to 10400. Xbench from 240 to 180.

In 10.5.8 and 10.6 you will have to live without sleep for the moment. Loading AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement is just a hint for the devs to find a solution. A modified kext or a possibility to inject P-States into the Powermanagement like Apple does.

@DD, Thanks for all your help with this thread. I just built my third system today, using the #1 system in my sig and I put it in a Thermaltake Spedo case. I tried this using Chameleon v2 RC2 using the same kexts in my GA-EP45-DQ6 mb and it worked great. I did have to change my EFI gfx string. Even though I used a Gigabyte 9800 GT in both systems 1 and 2, they were different models. I'll check out the sleep mode tomorrow. Hope snow is just as easy.

Thank you fut1ility totally worked. My ByHost folder had a bunch of duplicates with different UUID's so i got rid of them leaving the originals intact. After that I changed the info.plist string inside of the UUID.kext to match and everything is now straight. much appreciated.

Thank you fut1ility totally worked. My ByHost folder had a bunch of duplicates with different UUID's so i got rid of them leaving the originals intact. After that I changed the info.plist string inside of the UUID.kext to match and everything is now straight. much appreciated.

Hi Kydicarus, I've got the same mb as you do and I see that you are using RC2 on a USB stick. I used RC1 on a USB stick and it worked fine, but with RC2, I keep getting error that says I can't find the kernel.

I've successfully used that same RC2 USB stick to install Chameleon to my EFI partition and that works great. I'd just like to have in on USB for testing/emergency purposes. I've tried re-downloading the pkg a couple of times to see if that was the problem, but have the same results. Again, RC1 works perfectly on a USB stick in this same system...just a problem with RC2. Thanks.

p.s. BTW, I have these same issues with my GA-EP45-DQ6 and BadAxe2 motherboards. RC2 works if I use it to install it on my EFI partition, but not on the USB stick.

Hi, I have followed all the steps in the install and everything seems to be working except after the White Apple Logo screen it fades to blue and the display goes black and my monitor displays that its going into power saving mode.

I am using a Sapphire 4850 1GB with HDMI, DVI, VGA ports. I have tried rebooting using all the ports and still no luck. It sounds like its booted into OSX.

I installed using the first method from my MacBook but have not had a chance to install the DSDT Patch because I can't see anything.

Any ideas?

Hi, I have followed all the steps in the install and everything seems to be working except after the White Apple Logo screen it fades to blue and the display goes black and my monitor displays that its going into power saving mode.

I am using a Sapphire 4850 1GB with HDMI, DVI, VGA ports. I have tried rebooting using all the ports and still no luck. It sounds like its booted into OSX.

I installed using the first method from my MacBook but have not had a chance to install the DSDT Patch because I can't see anything.

Any ideas?

Try again but use Natit.kext for _Graphics ( move ATY_init.kext to _repository folder and move Natit.kext from _repositary/DEFAULT (Motmot) Radeon 2x00, 3x00, 4870, 4850/ to replace it )

ATY_init.kext is not all solution for all Radeon or all nVidia.

( I installed Leopard 10.5.7 on GA-EX58-UD5 to 1TB HDD by use iAtkos v7 system from another HDD , it was very easy method for me because I known preferred driver for my system from try and error . I'd known that ATY_init.kext was not suitable for my Asus EN-9800-GT Top and NVEnabler is the best for my system .

About your problem . I had experienced on Asus P5K-E and Asus EAH3650 when I tried to install iPC 10.5.6 and could not choose suitable kext for my EAH3650 . Final result , new nVidia graphic card --> happiness became. )

Any ideas?

Hi Vash82,

I had the same issue (with a Gigabyte 4850 1Gb) on 10.5.7 installed following this guide. I fixed it by installing the Natit.pkg from Netkas.org, as well as the patched framebuffers. See http://netkas.org/?p=101 for how to obtain them via IRC.

I however still have problems with sleep - upon waking up the screen is garbled. There might be other solutions now that also work with sleep - I'd be keen to know.

I have my GA-EX58 UD5 running fine for about two months now.

Only two minor issues: I get a kernel panic when it wakes from sleep (so I disabled sleep) and only one network port worked (incompatible I think, one of the guides said to ignore). Otherwise a great system!

However, I now realise I have a problem with the built-in ethernet port (I believe it's the Marvell one, as the other wouldn't work). Occasionally (happened twice now and usually if left system on) it refuses to obtain an IP address from my router (ethernet) - stating it's a self-assigned IP. It detects the cable being disconnected and reconnected though.

It happened again last night, and I can't get it to refresh the IP. I tried adding a new network 'location' but that seemed to cause the control panel to partly hang. I'm now left with both ethernet ports not detecting a cable is present, so I have no network abilities.

I have a MacBook too, which connects fine to the router via ethernet.

Whats the best way to remove the existing network kext's and prefs and reinstall them? Or am I better off saving my data and reinstalling from scratch?? (currently running 10.5.7 + chameleon RC1)

post-397873-1249901440_thumb.jpg

;):D:D:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Failure. help please.

Details, please, like what changes have you made? :-)

If you're running 10.5.7, I'd get rid of the AnV Voodoo-based kernel and use the vanilla version.

However, I now realise I have a problem with the built-in ethernet port (I believe it's the Marvell one, as the other wouldn't work). Occasionally (happened twice now and usually if left system on) it refuses to obtain an IP address from my router (ethernet) - stating it's a self-assigned IP. It detects the cable being disconnected and reconnected though.

It happened again last night, and I can't get it to refresh the IP. I tried adding a new network 'location' but that seemed to cause the control panel to partly hang. I'm now left with both ethernet ports not detecting a cable is present, so I have no network abilities.

I have a MacBook too, which connects fine to the router via ethernet.

Whats the best way to remove the existing network kext's and prefs and reinstall them? Or am I better off saving my data and reinstalling from scratch?? (currently running 10.5.7 + chameleon RC1)

The built-in Ethernet is the Realtek 8111D, IIRC.

Ethernet issues on the UD5 are rather common during reboots, unfortunately. You'll need to clear the CMOS for the BIOS to get them back. Make sure you have your BIOS settings saved for retrieval.

Can anyone tell me how to take a system installed following DD's script (running perfectly) and convert it to run from a USB efi boot stick? I want to be able to boot into a completely stock Apple drive so I can boot the same drives with my hackintosh and my Mac Pro.