[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I installed 10.5.8 onto a backup drive using the Combo Updater running from my main drive. I figured I would try it first before messing with my perfect install.

First the good news:

It booted. Everything appears to work. One added bonus of the new AppleHDA.kext is onboard UD5 sound now works without any additional kexts, injectors, or enablers if the following conditions are met:

1) You have an EFI hex string for your audio in your com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder

2) You select line-out in the sound control panel for your output

3) You use the black (not green) audio connector on the back

I have no idea if the digital outs work or not. If you only need stereo analog out this might be the way to go.

And now the bad news:

Sleep appears to be broken. I slept my machine manually and the display, keyboard, and firewire went to sleep. My motherboard however stayed lit and all the fans kept running. Usually everything turns off completely. Then I was unable to wake my machine up via mouse or keyboard. I had to use the reset button. Is anyone else having this problem?

In summary, I will upgrade when the sleep problem has been sorted out. I'm looking forward to having my onboard sound back.

I installed 10.5.8 onto a backup drive using the Combo Updater running from my main drive. I figured I would try it first before messing with my perfect install.

First the good news:

It booted. Everything appears to work. One added bonus of the new AppleHDA.kext is onboard UD5 sound now works without any additional kexts, injectors, or enablers if the following conditions are met:

1) You have an EFI hex string for your audio in your com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder

2) You select line-out in the sound control panel for your output

3) You use the black (not green) audio connector on the back

I have no idea if the digital outs work or not. If you only need stereo analog out this might be the way to go.

And now the bad news:

Sleep appears to be broken. I slept my machine manually and the display, keyboard, and firewire went to sleep. My motherboard however stayed lit and all the fans kept running. Usually everything turns off completely. Then I was unable to wake my machine up via mouse or keyboard. I had to use the reset button. Is anyone else having this problem?

In summary, I will upgrade when the sleep problem has been sorted out. I'm looking forward to having my onboard sound back.

I have the same board and have never had a problem with sound using DD's script. What kind of problems did you have?

I have the same board and have never had a problem with sound using DD's script. What kind of problems did you have?

Yes, of course the audio kexts installed by the script worked. The kexts did however cause some undesirable side-effects in one of my very important audio applications so I had to get rid of them. If you are not experiencing any problems like most people, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was however excited by the fact that onboard sound was working (albeit in a limited fashion) without any kexts in 10.5.8 which is somewhat fortuitous. Early reports say that the HDAkexts in /Extra are causing KPs and boot failures.

Sound Solutions for SL (32bit and 64bit):

Hi Digital Dreamer,

for SL there are 3 working audio solutions ( 32bit and 64bit mode) on our mobo GA X58 UD5 (ALC889a). they might work on other mobos with 889a too- just try it:

A. VoodooHDA.kext (64bit) http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uoztjniwylm

Sound quality is crappy

B. patched HDAEnabler 64bit with patched AppleHDA.kext from Taruga.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkydtorji3z/...nabler.kext.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?j3yzzylnzgw (AppleHDA64bit -889a)

Install goes in S/L/E

Sound quality is good (Analog and Digital out + Headphones) . Microphones and 5.1 not tested

Best Solution for me is the following:

C. patch DSDT (works with stock AppleHDA.kext - (remove HDAEnabler!) works at least on my board Bios 8E

put your DSDT.aml on program icon of iaslme ( http://www.mediafire.com/?jchmtymqlmd) - results in DSDT.dsl, which you can edit with textedit . Just drop after you edited the DSDT.dsl on icon of iaslme again and you have your patched DSDT.aml

It´s easy

Now the exact patch

1. replace all entries AZAL with HDEF

(there are 2) use search

2. replace the entire Device (HDEF) entry with the following:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x08)

{

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x11)

{

"ALC889a"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (0x28)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x50, 0x70, 0x21, 0x01, 0x40, 0x01, 0x13, 0x90,

/* 0008 */ 0x20, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x41, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01,

/* 0010 */ 0x30, 0xE0, 0xC5, 0x01, 0x60, 0xE0, 0x45, 0x01,

/* 0018 */ 0x0F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40, 0x0F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40,

/* 0020 */ 0x10, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x90, 0x11, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x90

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

}

Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IRQ (Level, ActiveLow, Shared, )

{3,4,5,6,7,9,10,11,12,14,15}

})

Name (BUFB, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IRQ (Level, ActiveLow, Shared, )

{}

})

CreateWordField (BUFB, One, IRQV)

Device (LNKA)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0F"))

Name (_UID, One)

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)

{

And (PIRA, 0x80, Local0)

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x80))

{

Return (0x09)

}

Else

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Method (_PRS, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (BUFA)

}

Method (_DIS, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Or (PIRA, 0x80, PIRA)

}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)

{

And (PIRA, 0x0F, Local0)

ShiftLeft (One, Local0, IRQV)

Return (BUFB)

}

Method (_SRS, 1, NotSerialized)

{

CreateWordField (Arg0, One, IRQ1)

FindSetRightBit (IRQ1, Local0)

Decrement (Local0)

Store (Local0, PIRA)

}

}

Thanks for this DSDT Patch goes to Solar. Sound quality is good analog stereo although ahs several sound assertions at boot.

You have to use Line Out for analog Output (black plugin)

Edit: This DSDT patch works also on 10.5.8 but not on 10.5.7.

2nd Edit: For Snow Leo proengin´s solution (see next post) is the better solution

- not as many sound assertions on boot

- more working outputs including headphones

- you do not have to replug your speaker into green port in windows 7

Hi Aschar,

Very good summary. In order to keep my SL (421a) as much vanilla as possible (ie. not installing any additional kexts for audio,network and video in /S/L/E), and run everything in x64 mode, I found a 4th solution to get stereo (2 channel) sound through the rear green jack although not as elegant as DSDT only solution. Here is what you need to do:

1. Modify the HDEF patched dsdt.dsl as follows:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x0A)

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x11)

{

"ALC889a"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

}

Recompile the modified dsdt.dsl to dsdt.aml and place it in /Extra or root folder depending on what efi bootloader you use.

2. Grab the member downloadable legacykexts.zip contributed by ffosilva at Taruga's site and place them in /Extra/Extensions (or pack them into your .mkext in Extra):

http://forum.osx86tuga.com/showthread.php?...;pid=166#pid166

3. Reboot - you will find 2 assertion errors during boot well before you reach desktop screen.

4. In Sound perference pane, you will find the following outputs and inputs

i. Internal Speakers (rear Green Jack works),

ii. Headphone (not tested yet),

iii. Line Out (rear Black Jack works),

iv. Digital Out (not tested yet),

v. Internal microphone (rear Pink Jack works),

vi. Line in (not tested yet),

vii. Digital in (not tested yet).

I've not tried this on 10.5.8 but I guess it would also work based on peoples reports on the newer AppleHDA.kext.

I believe if can reverse the pinconfig codes in the LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and inject into the dsdt, we can at least get 2 channel analog sound via Green Jack from vanilla AppleHDA.kext without even any plist kexts in E/E.

Hi proengin,

I think your idea is the right way to go.

My DSDT patch works the same in 10.5.8 . I have just read that it is also possible to use EFI String for audio in 10.5.8. Will try that also

With 10.5.8 Sleep is no longer working, as others reported. Same as in SL

Maybe this is caused by the new AppleHDA or something else.

Hi proengin,

I think your idea is the right way to go.

My DSDT patch works the same in 10.5.8 . I have just read that it is also possible to use EFI String for audio in 10.5.8. Will try that also

With 10.5.8 Sleep is no longer working, as others reported. Same as in SL

Maybe this is caused by the new AppleHDA or something else.

it may be helpful netkas.org -> Update to 10.5.8

I doubt that dsmos will fix sleep problem

Did you try netkas new dsmos where did you load it. I have tried his disabler and dsmos from Extensions.mkext in /E -no boot .Numerous errors dsmos not loading. It probably has to go in S/L/E

Hi,

same issue here,

no sleep after updating to 10.5.8!

Tried already the kexts from netkas, with the disabler.kext from netkas there are mouse issues if itunes is running...

I also installed new Netkas dsmos in S/L/E now - works but does not fix sleep issue

No Mouse issues here with Itunes running. this is probably related to your graphic card

So you are running 10.5.8 fine? I upgraded to Chameleon v2 RC2 and same thing with the Kernel panics. I have the JMicronATAInjector.kext.

The panic displays:

"Backtrace coninues....

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace...

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA(1.7.1a2).....

dependancy: com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib(1.7.1a2)...

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily(1.7.1a2)...

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.9fc5)...

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.9fc5)...

dependancy: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.1)..."

Kernel version is new. 9.8.0. It seems to be an audio driver issue for me.

I get such an error when booting 10.5.7 with something connected to front audio... Maybe you just forgot that there is something plugged in?

I doubt that dsmos will fix sleep problem

Did you try netkas new dsmos where did you load it. I have tried his disabler and dsmos from Extensions.mkext in /E -no boot .Numerous errors dsmos not loading. It probably has to go in S/L/E

Sorry I wrote that it is not .... 

not installed 10.5.8 yet ... morning I found info on a fast on a netkas webside.

How did you create the audio efi string?

Thanks.

I used EFI Studio. You will need to copy the hex string and paste it into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist between the following tags:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE_HERE</string>

WARNING: If you already have a hex string there then the process is way more complicated. You will actually need to generate one device plist containing all your devices (Graphics, Ethernet, Audio) and then convert it to a single hex string prior to copy and pasting.

Here some clues to the 10.5.8 sleep problem. I removed disabler.kext and sleep started working. Now before you try doing that please keep in mind the following:

1) My idle temperature rose to 67 C

2) I have a heavily modded DSDT (I've been reading this blog http://aserebln.blogspot.com/)

3) I KPed at shutdown

Basically what I'm saying is don't do it. I just thought that this information might give some insight into the problem and help precipitate a fix somehow. I'll be sticking with 10.5.7 until a remedy can be sorted out.

I ran into a great problem yesterday, my graphic card was never fully set up because I didn't have the monitor I wanted until this week. For some odd reason yesterday my limewire didn't want to open, even after a fresh install. I opened up OSX86 Tools to fool around a bit, carelessly not knowing what I was doing I hit a couple of buttons and things we're fine. LimeWire still never opened but once I restarted the computer I was no longer able to boot into Apple. I can still access the files from an alternative HDD but can't log in. Which steps should I do over to clean up any potential file overwrites?

Thanks for any assistance, its greatly appreciated.

So if we currently have 10.5.7 how do we go to 10.5.8? Some people are saying there system is not even booting while others are saying it is but no sleep. I am just confused on how to do it.

Thanks!!

Same here, would appreciate any help on this.

So if we currently have 10.5.7 how do we go to 10.5.8? Some people are saying there system is not even booting while others are saying it is but no sleep. I am just confused on how to do it.

Two words: Back Up. I sleep better with Time Machine.

I find it useful to have spare "test mule" disk.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner (or similar utility) to create a bootable clone of your current working system. After verifying that it works - update to 10.5.8. Worst case scenario - it's toast - erase and start over.

Could someone help me? I am getting the constant restart. I used the 3.9 and 4.0 Beta Versions to create my system. It gets to bootloader (grey screen) and then restarts. I have UD3R version, 7600GT GPU, I7-920. I have attempted to read everything about this mobo, but cannot get it.

Is IATKOS V7 and that was fine.

I used EFI Studio. You will need to copy the hex string and paste it into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist between the following tags:

Do you edit what EFIStudio gives you for AZAL, or do anything else?

I have the same MB, but after reboot I have no audio in `About This Mac' nor in the Sound preference pane.

The hex is correct, as I have both the AZAL and my Display in the device-properties string, and the Display is working correctly.

I got Display from http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509.

I'm currently using an edited DSDT.aml for my audio from information from a few posts back, but I would like to simplify this into my device-properties string instead.

Thanks.

Here's what I converted to hex (AZAL is the first key);

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>PinConfigurations</key>

<string></string>

<key>built-in</key>

<string>0x00</string>

<key>layout-id</key>

<string>0x0000000c</string>

<key>revision-id</key>

<string>0x00000001</string>

<key>subsystem-id</key>

<string>0x0000a002</string>

<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>

<string>0x00001458</string>

<key>vendor-id</key>

<string>0x00008086</string>

</dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>@2,#adress-cells</key>

<string>0x01000000</string>

<key>@2,#size-cells</key>

<string>0x00000000</string>

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,gpu-diode</string>

<key>@2,hwctrl-params-version</key>

<string>0x02000000</string>

<key>@2,hwsensor-params-version</key>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>sensor-parent</string>

<key>@2,reg</key>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>AAAAQA==</data>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>3172a</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Do you edit what EFIStudio gives you for AZAL, or do anything else?

I have the same MB, but after reboot I have no audio in `About This Mac' nor in the Sound preference pane.

The hex is correct, as I have both the AZAL and my Display in the device-properties string, and the Display is working correctly.

I got Display from http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509.

I'm currently using an edited DSDT.aml for my audio from information from a few posts back, but I would like to simplify this into my device-properties string instead.

Thanks.

That DSDT patch for Audio on the previous page is for 10.5.8. It doesn't work for 10.5.7. I'm not sure if it requires an EFI string for the audio to work. The post never mentions an EFI string. I would remove it to see if that makes a difference.