›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Hi There

First of all this kernel is amazing, Thanks to develop Team!!!

I have a minor problem.

In the system profiler when I shoud see This (The info about my hardware):

Voodoo_950_10.png

I Get a error message:

There was an error while gathering this information.

Any one knows what is happening wrong?

Regards

Cesarium

@cesarium: what AppleSMBIOS you are using? try AppleSMBIOSEFI by AnV

Note: Set under /Library/Prefences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Under the kernel boot arguments:

set:

macmodel=MacPro3,1

or

macmodel=MacPro2,1

That will set it back to Mac Pro...

You can use this override to override to any model...

As long as it is an original Mac Model Name, it will work just great... ;)

I'm speechless ;)

AnV960_MP.png

Hi guys. I would like to update up to 10.5.6 or 10.5.5 and use Voodoo XNU kernel after. What is the safest way and the sequence to do it (combo update etc..). I currently use Zephyroth 10.5.2 AMD and during boot I have this post-180692-1234886806_thumb.jpg. Do I need Chameleon for EFI or that I have is enough? Thanks in advance

Hi, I installed in my AMD, I also installed the video kext, sound and network....

but some things hurt pendants ....

But, he detects like Intel Core Solo, SB didn't work and nor PS2...

Do I have to carry more some kext??

my hardware is:

ASUS A8N-SLI SE

A64 3500+ Venice

2GB ram ddr 400mhz

SATA 250Gb seagate

Geforce 7300Gt

thank you

To Voodoo (+AnV) Team (not much urgent :) )

Do you think it can does some advantage to compile with different compilers / optimizastion settings (GCC 4.2, different opti settings like SSE3 + SSE3 sublemental enabled, .... ) ?

How does Voodoo Team and Apple compile its kernels ?

Would it be also an difference compile kernel with Intels high optimized compiler (i forgot the name) ?

To Voodoo (+AnV) Team (not much urgent :) )

Do you think it can does some advantage to compile with different compilers / optimizastion settings (GCC 4.2, different opti settings like SSE3 + SSE3 sublemental enabled, .... ) ?

Would it be also an difference compile kernel with Intels high optimized compiler (i forgot the name) ?

Well, I build the dynamic linker + stuff needed for dynamic linker, tools needed to build kernel with llvm gcc/g++ 4.2.

The dynamic linker in my case has highly optimized compiler options (done by patching xcode project) for running fast but without (supplemental) SSE3 instructions used since these don't work fast for all.

Since it is at current impossible to build the kernel with llvm gcc/g++ 4.2 (it won't link...) I tend to use regular gcc/g++ 4.2 for that.

It is my impression that this generates better and faster compiled code.

I've recently tested -force64 on my friends AMD Athlon64 1st gen.

It didn't load out the SSE3 emulator in 64bit mode and rebooted...

Would there be any way of also getting 64bit on SSE2 only AMD's?

Well, I build the dynamic linker + stuff needed for dynamic linker, tools needed to build kernel with llvm gcc/g++ 4.2.

The dynamic linker in my case has highly optimized compiler options (done by patching xcode project) for running fast but without (supplemental) SSE3 instructions used since these don't work fast for all.

Since it is at current impossible to build the kernel with llvm gcc/g++ 4.2 (it won't link...) I tend to use regular gcc/g++ 4.2 for that.

It is my impression that this generates better and faster compiled code.

Thanks for answer of the background question.

Happy to get such dev things known.

We use gcc 4.0.1 with the same compiler options as stock xnu, to compile Voodoo. Policy is: don't fix it if it ain't broke.

People are free to try out different compiler settings, but please remember: "impression" doesn't matter. Placebo effect optimization is useless. Please benchmark. Here is an example. More often than not, you will find actually measuring performance changes gives a totally different perspective. We used it when designing the SSE3 emulator, and found out what we were trying to optimize initially was useless effort.

I've recently tested -force64 on my friends AMD Athlon64 1st gen.

It didn't load out the SSE3 emulator in 64bit mode and rebooted...

Would there be any way of also getting 64bit on SSE2 only AMD's?

No. The SSE3 emulator is 32-bit only. Please run the kernel in 32bit mode if the CPU is SSE2-only.

Thanks !

As always: very nice background informations of your work here !!!

Little off topic but very system deep / kernel near question:

Since i have PC_EFI 9 / chameleon 12 installed i think i have an problem of waking up.

Sleeps=OK but than wakeup=reboots. No other changed i made (using chameleon V11 all ok).

PCEFI V9 has some "-nowake" option - does voodooteam knows whats that -nowake make excatly ?

I have susped to RAM (S3), not to an file (i have hibernate mode = 0, i checked that by pmset command )

I ask here, because i didnt get an answer to my question at the netkas board.

Hi,

I've got this kernel panic a few times this week, generally, they do not associate with any specific tasks I performed at the moment.

My system:

Asus P5K-VM motherboard

4gb RAM

nVidia 7300GT 256mb

3 SATA drive, 1 ATA DVD, 1 SATA DVD

XxX 10.5.6 installed with VooDoo 1.0

Here is a screenshot of the kernel panic. How can I fix it? It seems to appear even when I'm not doing anything with the system (Transmission is always on and seeding though)

IMG_1854.JPG

Thanks guys

Hi,

I've got this kernel panic a few times this week, generally, they do not associate with any specific tasks I performed at the moment.

My system:

Asus P5K-VM motherboard

4gb RAM

nVidia 7300GT 256mb

3 SATA drive, 1 ATA DVD, 1 SATA DVD

XxX 10.5.6 installed with VooDoo 1.0

Here is a screenshot of the kernel panic. How can I fix it? It seems to appear even when I'm not doing anything with the system (Transmission is always on and seeding though)

IMG_1854.JPG

Thanks guys

This kind of error related to mismatching seatbelt.kext, system.kext to Kernel. Check the seatbelt.kext and system.kext version it has to be the same as Voodoo kernel 9.5.0. You can try to replace them with 9.5.0 ver, don't forget to backup first.

Hi. I have Kernel panic KernelPanic.rtfon some applications COD 2,Civ IV,Palm Desktop etc, after update from Zephyroth 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 (Amd Patcher 0.31).Didn't have those probs in 10.5.2. Using Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 now. Did anybody experience those KPs on AMD? Thanks

HP xw9300

2xOpteron 2.6Ghz

Nvidia 7300GT

This kind of error related to mismatching seatbelt.kext, system.kext to Kernel. Check the seatbelt.kext and system.kext version it has to be the same as Voodoo kernel 9.5.0. You can try to replace them with 9.5.0 ver, don't forget to backup first.

How would I go about doing that? Here are my three files, are they the right version? In the VooDoo package, I cannot find Seatbelt.kext to replace if I have to though.

system.kext.png

seatbelt.kext.png

mach_kernel.png

Big Thanks

Hi. I have Kernel panic KernelPanic.rtfon some applications COD 2,Civ IV,Palm Desktop etc, after update from Zephyroth 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 (Amd Patcher 0.31).Didn't have those probs in 10.5.2. Using Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 now. Did anybody experience those KPs on AMD? Thanks

HP xw9300

2xOpteron 2.6Ghz

Nvidia 7300GT

Mac OS X 10.5.6 updated through Zephyroth's patcher?

Did you restore seatbelt.kext to the one of 10.5.5?

Without that you will get KPs when e.g. mounting disk images (.dmg files).

Restore either 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext or use my 10.5.6 kernel...

How would I go about doing that? Here are my three files, are they the right version? In the VooDoo package, I cannot find Seatbelt.kext to replace if I have to though.

system.kext.png

seatbelt.kext.png

mach_kernel.png

Big Thanks

Get the Apple Mac OS X 10.5.5 update from http://www.apple.com (under downloads).

Use Pacifist to Extract System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext.

Install it under /System/Library/Extensions (remove old seatbelt.kext first...).

Reboot.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 updated through Zephyroth's patcher?

Did you restore seatbelt.kext to the one of 10.5.5?

Without that you will get KPs when e.g. mounting disk images (.dmg files).

Restore either 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext or use my 10.5.6 kernel...

Thanks for reply. Yes I did update by single updates not a combo update from Zephyroth 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 with Zethyroph's patcher v0.31. My system had same applications crashes with Toh 9.2 kernel and no sound in 10.5.5. I installed Voodoo 1.0 received sound but same crushes with some applications, updated to 10.5.6 with same Zeph 0.31. I have seatbelt.kext and system.kext restored from 10.5.5, tried yours 10.5.6 kernel with same results. System was rock solid before updates and kernel manipulations... :angry:

Thanks for reply. Yes I did update by single updates not a combo update from Zephyroth 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 with Zethyroph's patcher v0.31. My system had same applications crashes with Toh 9.2 kernel and no sound in 10.5.5. I installed Voodoo 1.0 received sound but same crushes with some applications, updated to 10.5.6 with same Zeph 0.31. I have seatbelt.kext and system.kext restored from 10.5.5, tried yours 10.5.6 kernel with same results. System was rock solid before updates and kernel manipulations... :P

My kernel package has System.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6 included.

If that is not the issue the problem lies probably in the updates.

Try letting Marvin's AMD Utility probe for cpuids + encrypted binaries just to check if they have been patched properly. (Just an idea, both Voodoo 9.5.0 as well as my 9.6.0 kernel have on-the-fly cpuid patcher but still... thx go to the Voodoo team for this...)

My kernel package has System.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6 included.

If that is not the issue the problem lies probably in the updates.

Try letting Marvin's AMD Utility probe for cpuids + encrypted binaries just to check if they have been patched properly. (Just an idea, both Voodoo 9.5.0 as well as my 9.6.0 kernel have on-the-fly cpuid patcher but still... thx go to the Voodoo team for this...)

Well, I was running Murvin's AMD utility and found 49 files for patching. Did the patching with same result "The Application ... quit unexpectedly."(kernel panic). It happening with just few applications on my system COD2,COD4,CiV IV,Palm Desktop rest of them like FC2,CS3,Microsoft Office etc are OK. Tried reinstall applications with no luck.