[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

This forum has been amazingly useful and I thank you all for your efforts. I can successfully and easily install a Retail 10.5.6 leopard dvd with my asus p5ql mobo using the specific bios rev and boot 132 disk that were specified in the asus p5q thread. much simpler install then that thread details however.

As for this topic, once I have the install done I follow Munky's instructions but end up with:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

boot1: error

at boot up.

I've looked these errors up but it is still unclear to me what is going on. I have a gparted live cd and can confirm that the boot flag is set on the EFI partition. Did I copy the bootx files incorrectly or something? The error implies that boot0 was ok but that boot1 in the EFI partition did not boot ok?

There are a few items of note during Munky's procedure. (full log below) I got the message

'unable to determine uuid for host' when I got the list of drives in diskutil. I assumed this message or messages were due to the presence of an NTFS hard drive with a few windows partitions (separate hard drive entirely, not really part of this procedure at all. I get the boot error whether it is present or not). The troubling part is that I got the uuid messages when I formatted the EFI drive with HFS+. I specified the drive and partition for that operation so maybe it isn't the NTFS drive throwing those messages…Either way, the format appeared to succeed.

For the fdisk operation I get a "Device could not be accessed exclusively" you must reboot. Is this normal? Like I said I double checked the flags with gpart.

Just to clarify, my hard drive is an IDE hard drive formatted with one single HFS+ partition via the installer disk utility and then modified word for word from the instructions above. The install comes up just fine when I use my boot 132 cd. The NTFS drive is a SATA drive that has Vista on it. When I boot from boot-132 cd I can specify 80 for my IDE or 81 for the SATA. (I can swap their order in the bios too) When I choose 80, I only see the one MacOSX partition. I do not see the EFI partition. Not sure if I should.

I received similar errors when I tried MacInized's method of explicitly creating a separate 200mb partition.

Any suggestions would be handy, I'm very pleased to have made it this far though. :rolleyes:

Here is the complete terminal log of Munky's process:

bash-3.2# diskutil list
 2009-02-27 05:22:53.765 diskutil[366:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:22:53.930 DiskManagementTool[367:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 /dev/disk0
 #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
 0:			   GUID_partition_scheme		  *19.0 Gi	  disk0
 1:						   EFI						 200.0 Mi	 disk0s1
 2:				  Apple_HFS MacOSX			  18.7 Gi	 disk0s2
 /dev/disk1
 0:	   FDisk_partition_scheme				   *149.1 Gi	disk1
 1:			   Windows_NTFS						 28.0 Gi	disk1s1
 2:			   Windows_NTFS						 60.5 Gi	disk1s5
 3:			   Windows_NTFS						 60.5 Gi	disk1s6

bash-3.2# diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1
 2009-02-27 05:26:15.556 diskutil[370:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:26:15.576 DiskManagementTool[371:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 Started erase on disk disk0s1
 Erasing
 Mounting disk
 Could not mount disk0s1 with name  after erase
 [ + 0%..10%..20%..30%..40%..50%..60%..70%..80%..90%..100% ]
 Finished erase on disk disk0s1
 bash-3.2# cd Documents/
 bash-3.2# cd efi_boot_v6.1/
 bash-3.2# ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
 bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
 2+0 records in
 2+0 records out
 1024 bytes transferred in 0.000568 secs (1803093 bytes/sec)
 bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot
 bash-3.2# cp update.sh /Volumes/EFI/
 bash-3.2# ./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
 fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
 Enter 'help' for information
 fdisk: 1> f 1
 Partition 1 marked active.
 fdisk:*1> w
 Device could not be accessed exclusively.
 A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
 Writing MBR at offset 0.
 fdisk: 1> q
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd
 bash-3.2# touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log
 bash-3.2# cd ../Extra/Extensions/
 bash-3.2# ls
 .DS_Store				 AppleDecrypt.kext			Disabler.kext
 ACPIPS2Nub.kext				ApplePS2Controller.kext			OpenHaltRestart.kext
 AppleACPIPlatform.kext			AppleSMBIOS.kext
 AppleAPIC.kext				   AppleVIAATA.kext
 bash-3.2# cp -R *.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/
 bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# ls
 .fseventsd			Extensions			System					 boot				update.sh
 bash-3.2# chmod +x update.sh
 bash-3.2# sudo ./update.sh
 Updating EFI boot cache
 mv: rename /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext to /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext.previous: No such file or directory
 done.
 bash-3.2# umount /Volumes/EFI
 umount: unmount(/Volumes/EFI): Resource busy
 bash-3.2# umount -f /Volumes/EFI

after a few reboots I checked diskutil list again. Not sure if it's correct. Shouldn't the EFI partition say that it is HFS+?

bash-3.2# diskutil list
 2009-02-27 05:55:28.927 diskutil[180:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:55:29.036 DiskManagementTool[181:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 /dev/disk0
 0:				 GUID_partition_scheme		 *19.0 Gi	disk0
 1:							EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
 2:				   Apple_HFS MacOSX			 18.7 Gi	disk0s2
 /dev/disk1
 0:				FDisk_partition_scheme		 *149.1 Gi	disk1
 1:				   Windows_NTFS					28.0 Gi	disk1s1
 2:				   Windows_NTFS					60.5 Gi	disk1s5
 3:				   Windows_NTFS					60.5 Gi	disk1s6

This forum has been amazingly useful and I thank you all for your efforts. I can successfully and easily install a Retail 10.5.6 leopard dvd with my asus p5ql mobo using the specific bios rev and boot 132 disk that were specified in the asus p5q thread. much simpler install then that thread details however.

As for this topic, once I have the install done I follow Munky's instructions but end up with:

at boot up.

I've looked these errors up but it is still unclear to me what is going on. I have a gparted live cd and can confirm that the boot flag is set on the EFI partition. Did I copy the bootx files incorrectly or something? The error implies that boot0 was ok but that boot1 in the EFI partition did not boot ok?

There are a few items of note during Munky's procedure. (full log below) I got the message

'unable to determine uuid for host' when I got the list of drives in diskutil. I assumed this message or messages were due to the presence of an NTFS hard drive with a few windows partitions (separate hard drive entirely, not really part of this procedure at all. I get the boot error whether it is present or not). The troubling part is that I got the uuid messages when I formatted the EFI drive with HFS+. I specified the drive and partition for that operation so maybe it isn't the NTFS drive throwing those messages…Either way, the format appeared to succeed.

For the fdisk operation I get a "Device could not be accessed exclusively" you must reboot. Is this normal? Like I said I double checked the flags with gpart.

Just to clarify, my hard drive is an IDE hard drive formatted with one single HFS+ partition via the installer disk utility and then modified word for word from the instructions above. The install comes up just fine when I use my boot 132 cd. The NTFS drive is a SATA drive that has Vista on it. When I boot from boot-132 cd I can specify 80 for my IDE or 81 for the SATA. (I can swap their order in the bios too) When I choose 80, I only see the one MacOSX partition. I do not see the EFI partition. Not sure if I should.

I received similar errors when I tried MacInized's method of explicitly creating a separate 200mb partition.

Any suggestions would be handy, I'm very pleased to have made it this far though. :)

Here is the complete terminal log of Munky's process:

bash-3.2# diskutil list
 2009-02-27 05:22:53.765 diskutil[366:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:22:53.930 DiskManagementTool[367:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 /dev/disk0
 0:			   GUID_partition_scheme		  *19.0 Gi	  disk0
 1:						   EFI						 200.0 Mi	 disk0s1
 2:				  Apple_HFS MacOSX			  18.7 Gi	 disk0s2
 /dev/disk1
 0:	   FDisk_partition_scheme				   *149.1 Gi	disk1
 1:			   Windows_NTFS						 28.0 Gi	disk1s1
 2:			   Windows_NTFS						 60.5 Gi	disk1s5
 3:			   Windows_NTFS						 60.5 Gi	disk1s6

bash-3.2# diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1
 2009-02-27 05:26:15.556 diskutil[370:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:26:15.576 DiskManagementTool[371:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 Started erase on disk disk0s1
 Erasing
 Mounting disk
 Could not mount disk0s1 with name  after erase
 [ + 0%..10%..20%..30%..40%..50%..60%..70%..80%..90%..100% ]
 Finished erase on disk disk0s1
 bash-3.2# cd Documents/
 bash-3.2# cd efi_boot_v6.1/
 bash-3.2# ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
 bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
 2+0 records in
 2+0 records out
 1024 bytes transferred in 0.000568 secs (1803093 bytes/sec)
 bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot
 bash-3.2# cp update.sh /Volumes/EFI/
 bash-3.2# ./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
 fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
 Enter 'help' for information
 fdisk: 1> f 1
 Partition 1 marked active.
 fdisk:*1> w
 Device could not be accessed exclusively.
 A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
 Writing MBR at offset 0.
 fdisk: 1> q
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
 bash-3.2# mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd
 bash-3.2# touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log
 bash-3.2# cd ../Extra/Extensions/
 bash-3.2# ls
 .DS_Store				 AppleDecrypt.kext			Disabler.kext
 ACPIPS2Nub.kext				ApplePS2Controller.kext			OpenHaltRestart.kext
 AppleACPIPlatform.kext			AppleSMBIOS.kext
 AppleAPIC.kext				   AppleVIAATA.kext
 bash-3.2# cp -R *.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/
 bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
 bash-3.2# ls
 .fseventsd			Extensions			System					 boot				update.sh
 bash-3.2# chmod +x update.sh
 bash-3.2# sudo ./update.sh
 Updating EFI boot cache
 mv: rename /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext to /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext.previous: No such file or directory
 done.
 bash-3.2# umount /Volumes/EFI
 umount: unmount(/Volumes/EFI): Resource busy
 bash-3.2# umount -f /Volumes/EFI

after a few reboots I checked diskutil list again. Not sure if it's correct. Shouldn't the EFI partition say that it is HFS+?

bash-3.2# diskutil list
 2009-02-27 05:55:28.927 diskutil[180:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 2009-02-27 05:55:29.036 DiskManagementTool[181:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
 /dev/disk0
 0:				 GUID_partition_scheme		 *19.0 Gi	disk0
 1:							EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
 2:				   Apple_HFS MacOSX			 18.7 Gi	disk0s2
 /dev/disk1
 0:				FDisk_partition_scheme		 *149.1 Gi	disk1
 1:				   Windows_NTFS					28.0 Gi	disk1s1
 2:				   Windows_NTFS					60.5 Gi	disk1s5
 3:				   Windows_NTFS					60.5 Gi	disk1s6

Hmmmm. Well here is my diskutil list output (for my Mac HD)

/dev/disk3

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *372.6 Gi disk3

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 372.3 Gi disk3s2

The EFI partition is listed as "EFI" not "HFS+", so don't worry about that one. What HD is set to boot first in your bios? Your output from the munky method install appears ok. Your issue may be P5Q specific... I have a P5K-D and it works flawless using the same method....

Hmmmm. Well here is my diskutil list output (for my Mac HD)

/dev/disk3

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *372.6 Gi disk3

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 372.3 Gi disk3s2

The EFI partition is listed as "EFI" not "HFS+", so don't worry about that one. What HD is set to boot first in your bios? Your output from the munky method install appears ok. Your issue may be P5Q specific... I have a P5K-D and it works flawless using the same method....

Thanks for the feedback. I have the bios set to boot the ide hdd first, and like I said I've disconnected the sata drive in my testing as well. You may be right about this being a motherboard specific thing. I'll keep toying until I get something working.

And for the sake of completeness I should mention that the uuid stuff was solved by using smbiosresolver.kext.

Hey munky, can you shoot me over the com.apple.Boot.plist you used on your pre c2d system? I have a P4 HT machine. I got it booting from the hidden efi partition, thanks again, but I'm over typing in the commands at every boot. This is what I'm typing if you need it.

bt(0,0)mach_kernel.voodoo rd=disk0s2

Where would I put that in the boot.plist file? I also have my uuid noted if that would be easier/better. Thank you in advance for your help and all your work.

Danny

Interesting. The boot1: error problem I described earlier doesn't happen when Mac OS X is installed on a SATA drive instead of an IDE drive. Everything else is unchanged. How irritating.

Hope that helps someone else banging their head against the wall. Still don't know if it is something peculiar to this mobo or not. (asus p5ql)

Thanks so much Munky, this method really is very effective and simple.

efistudio update is superb man - thanks a TON

this means - its supereasy for people to use this method now !

i updated my p5w guide with these news http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156057

one tiny suggestion if i might:

it would be cool if i could CHOOSE my extensions folder instead of having to copy my extensions folder to this ONE efistudio folder

same thing for the boot.plist

so i could have a folder with various different selections for my mobo and test easily

also

the ability to boot windows on the same harddrive would be great

i dont have room for a second hdd in my case (slim)

any news on the cameleon release ?

hello,

today i added EFI Boot Partition Installer to EFIStudio.

EFIStudio 1.1 Download

all thanks goes to munky for making this possible. :)

please post comments or any bugs you found.

so long

inside

Great Man!!! I go to try it...

hello,

today i added EFI Boot Partition Installer to EFIStudio.

bild2a.png

EFIStudio 1.1 Download

all thanks goes to munky for making this possible. ;)

please post comments or any bugs you found.

so long

inside

How to add plists into directories?

thx

Hey munky, can you shoot me over the com.apple.Boot.plist you used on your pre c2d system? I have a P4 HT machine. I got it booting from the hidden efi partition, thanks again, but I'm over typing in the commands at every boot. This is what I'm typing if you need it.

bt(0,0)mach_kernel.voodoo rd=disk0s2

Where would I put that in the boot.plist file? I also have my uuid noted if that would be easier/better. Thank you in advance for your help and all your work.

Danny

it seems that it should be inserted in kernel flags

it seems that it should be inserted in kernel flags

Yes, but better as follow:

<key>boot-uuid</key>

<string>35239863-A2B5-3E51-B513-0A8D9AE61E00</string>

after timeout or kernel flags

Don't use rdiskX as it may change, sometime, if you have other disks attached.

Question. I've installed 10.5 retail using a pretty standard burned BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso + dsmos.kext just fine on a GUID Harddisk with just one big HFS+ partition for OSX. Then I ran the EFI Boot Partition Installer without any errors. Restarted the system but this time removing my BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY CD from the drive. But it happens NOTHING. Did I miss something? (I've checked with Gparted and the hidden EFI 200 MB partition has the "boot" flag)

Thank you very much for EFI Studio 1.1.

This makes it Super easy & FAST to install the boot-loader on EFI partition.

This is not only usefull for a resgular install, but for backup/disaster recovery purposes.

What I did:

- Broke out my E-SATA drive.

- Used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my current XxX 10.5.6 install which is working great, to the E-SATA drive (which was already formatted with GUID).

- Then used EFI Studio 1.1 to install the boot-loader to the EFI partiton of my E-SATA drive, along with my custom boot.plist and vanilla 9.6 kernel.

Works great as an insurance drive for backup puposes since I'm always mucking around with my main install. ;)

I'm such a noob at this. I have a retail 10.5.6 install all ready to go on my P5W DH - it works but needs altered so it can boot without the bootdisc, and get sound etc.

Can anyone tell me briefly how to use this program for setting up my P5W with the appropriate kexts etc? I think I vaguely get the kexts business but not the boot.plist stuff :)

It's annoying as I have such a common motherboard and components for doing this, people must be doing exactly what I need to do hundreds of times a day!

Can anyone tell me briefly how to use this program for setting up my P5W with the appropriate kexts etc? I think I vaguely get the kexts business but not the boot.plist stuff :D

It's annoying as I have such a common motherboard and components for doing this, people must be doing exactly what I need to do hundreds of times a day!

it helps if you read a bit

a few posts above yours i linked to a p5w step by step guide with all the needed files

its also linked on the wiki for this board

and there is a post install thread for this board with this method

so you should be more than good

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...tle=Asus_p5w_dh

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156057

Does anyone use EFIStudio to put efi-string into boot.plist and boot sucessfully? I got "Error parsing plist fileLoading" message, after I put the efi-string for ATI video card.

I guess this is because of the large size of your device-properties node. Is that more than 4096 bytes long at the moment?

You can adjust the max node size (IO_CONFIG_DATA_SIZE) here: i386/libsaio/legacy/configTablePrivate.h

Chameleon uses 16384 bytes for this constant.

Btw, i've 'ported' the foreign OS support on GPT disks for the new Chameleon codebase so we're getting closer again to a new release.

So, since the next Release of Chameleon takes time i ask again if Munky or anyone else could please adjust this Value to get EFI-Strings working with booting from EFI-Partition?

So, since the next Release of Chameleon takes time i ask again if Munky or anyone else could please adjust this Value to get EFI-Strings working with booting from EFI-Partition?

Yes, new radeonHD takes about 8 k for a ...Boot.plist w/ ATI-3870HD EFI string, so DON'T work for us!

Error parsing plist.... always displayed!

I still have to patch video with LastExile installer (works perfectly!!)

I'm waiting some good news too.

Ciao!

it would be super if i could boot win7 and osx from one harddrive

win7 uses that same hidden guid drive i think

does the new chameleon work for osx and win7 on one and the same disk ?

This method can use dual booting. Just read some post up. I have OSX and Vista64 bit on the same hdd

it would be super if i could boot win7 and osx from one harddrive

win7 uses that same hidden guid drive i think

does the new chameleon work for osx and win7 on one and the same disk ?

I read in another thread here about a boot loader that would allow you to boot as many OSs as you want, and works with Win7. Check it out:

EasyBCD

My system is built on an ASUS P5QL-Pro Mobo with an intel E2200 CPU

SATA 1: HDD 500gb Hitachi - XP SP3 [WINBLOWS/WINFI/MUSIC] (MBR - NTFS/NTFS/NTFS)

IDE 1: HDD 60gb Seagate - 10.5.6 Retail [MACOSX] (GUID - HFS) - returns the error.

IDE 2: HDD 40gb Seagate - 10.5.5 iDeneb [iDeneb] (MBR - HFS)

Pioneer DVD on SATA 2

Using the Slimbuild Boot CD I have now installed Leopard Retail 10.5.4 (9E25) and installed the 10.5.6 Combo update from apple.

I completed the Boot from EFI partition buisness exact >> see attached log Log_Of_EFI_buisness.rtf

But still i get this error everytime i try to boot the retail HDD.

I think its a problem with GUID. I had previously installed iDeneb using GUID, and that gave the same error. Its nothing to do with the order on bios boot - ive checked and re-checked. Ive seen this error around sites but nobody has an explination of whats going on.

Could someone please help?

Does anybody know why this may happen?

What does boot0 and boot1 do?

Why does munky talk about boot2 when i never had to copy one to the EFI partition?

Thanks, Andy

p.s. If I could understand whats going on, Id have a better chance of fixing the problem. So any info would help.

I don't know where to post this, so thought I would do it on this thread...

I have created a small patch from the v61_src.zip file attached to the first post of this thread, the purpose of the patch is to allow the bootloader to show NTFS formatted drives inside a Microsoft Basic Data Partition in a GPT formatted drive.

Essentially, I could not get the bootloader to boot, or even show, my Vista x64 installation... with this patch the drive now shows up in the list and is bootable. ;)

I have a single drive formatted with GPT: 200mb hidden EFI partition, 50gb OSX partition, 50gb Vista x64 partition (only to play LotRO), 150gb HFS+ and 215gb HFS+ partitions for apps and data.

The patch is simple and only changes a single file, once applied and recompiled the only file that needs to be replaced is the 'boot' file in the root of your EFI partition.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This code does NOT check if the filesystem in the MBDP is actually NTFS, it could be FAT32, or some other Microsoft format... this needs to be added, either by myself or by someone else as I still need to research how to read the filesystem type in the MBDP!

The bootloader will try to read the filesystem volume name as if it were NTFS, if it is not NTFS then the volume name will show up as "GPT HFS+" until more code is added to determine the correct name, or at least show the proper partition or filesystem type. As I said, right now this is a quick and simple hack to allow people to at least dual boot HFS+ and NTFS on the same GPT drive! :)

I have attached both the patch and the binary version of the boot file to this post... I hope it is useful even with the above caveat.

disk.c.patch.txt

boot.gz