[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Works great for me on Intel 945gntlkr mb. I started over and formated the EFI partition. Did a reinstall Munkys way. Then I followed this:

1. open Terminal

2. (Determine your install harddisk with)

diskutil list

3. sudo -s

(Enter password)

4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI

5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

(Do not forget to change _X with your harddisk number from step 2)

6. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra

6. (Download new Chameleon and put folder on your desktop)

7. (open the chameleon folder and cd to the subfolder i386 in Terminal- just type cd and Space and drag the i386 folder into Terminal)

8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)

9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)

10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI

11. (cd to the Extra Folder in your new Chameleon Folder (on your desktop) in Terminal)

12. cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

13. cp -R Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra

14. cd Volumes/EFI

15. cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra

16. cp com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

17. cd Volumes/EFI/System/booter

18*. cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra

19. umount -f Volumes/EFI

20. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

*Note before Step 18. If you have AppleSMBIOS or similar kext in your Extensions folder on your EFI Volume and you want to load smbios.plist - remove this kext form your Extensions folder and rebuild Extensions.mkext before copying this file to the Extra folder.

cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

rm-R AppleSMBIOS.kext

cd ..

sudo ./update.sh

I put the voodoo kernel in the OS partition and changed apple.boot.plist to reflect that. Make sure to put extensions.mkext in the extra folder.

Can a bootloader like EasyBCD running from disk 1 Windows boot Chameleon from a EFI HTFS formated partition, I thought it had to be FAT?

In the Chameleon zip.tar all I see is folder Optional Extras, not Extras as refered to in step 11. Where does DSDT.aml come from? I don't see it in the root, EFI, or Chameleon folders. Only see com.apple.Boot.plist in the OSX /root/Extras folder. Don't see /Volumes/EFI/Systembooter.

I am sure some sighes, but the Chameleon pkg installed as I mentioned before hangs on the EFI/Extra folder unless I use the Grub DFE .97 CD bootloader w/Darwin.

Kudos to munky for a great project.

I tried the Chameleon RC1 2.0 (EFI) but switched to your method for it is very stable in my system (GA-EP35-DS4, Gigabyte NV8600GT EFI). Combo updated from a Retail 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 without any hiccups nor hitches.

I know it's a tad late; congratulations and please continue onwards with this great project! A lot of OSX86 enthusiasts will benefit from your work.

Best regards!

Can a bootloader like EasyBCD running from disk 1 Windows boot Chameleon from a EFI HTFS formated partition, I thought it had to be FAT?

In the Chameleon zip.tar all I see is folder Optional Extras, not Extras as refered to in step 11. Where does DSDT.aml come from? I don't see it in the root, EFI, or Chameleon folders. Only see com.apple.Boot.plist in the OSX /root/Extras folder. Don't see /Volumes/EFI/Systembooter.

I am sure some sighes, but the Chameleon pkg installed as I mentioned before hangs on the EFI/Extra folder unless I use the Grub DFE .97 CD bootloader w/Darwin.

Maybe search the forum?

- DSDT.aml: You'll learn that you do not need it

- Regarding Optional Extras: They are optional. Create a folder "Extra" in EFI/Extra and put "Themes" in there. smbios.plist you don't need.

This is better than Chameleon right now!

Tried Chameleon 2rc1 but ended up reformatting EFI and putting Munky's EFI back in. Too many bugs with Chameleon now. First off is it shows all hard drives, bootable or not. It always defaulted to a non-bootable drive so no quiet boot with it. Also, the GUI is nice but I prefer original apple boot graphics (maybe these will be fixed in future).

MUNKY, I've read that the size limitation of the boot file has been increased? Is it possible to put the apple boot graphics back into this bootloader (like in v5.1)?

How?

What was the code you used?

Thanks...

Put the voodoo kernel named "mach_kernel.voodoo" (no quotations) in the root of your OSX partition.

Then change your apple.boot.plist.

Change

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

To

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

This is no secret - do a search.

I'm confused by many of the posts in this thread. Using the "Munky method" still uses boot132/chameleon. All you need to do is substitute the new Chameleon2 for the boot132/chameleon boot loader you had before. It's not that difficult.

You can still use the EFI partition to boot and store all of the hacked kexts while using the new Chameleon2 bootloader. Maybe there are some special cases that don't work. For everyone else - I really don't understand the problem.

Some of us do need it.

Asus P5Q series boards cannot boot retail if you don't patch DSDT to remove the CPU aliases.

You are right. I was not putting it clearly enough what I wanted to say: If one has no clue about DSDT.aml and they are using Munky's method, they likely don't need it.

I use one myself, even though I don't need it to boot.

I was just too lazy to explain things that could be found doing a search.

I'm confused by many of the posts in this thread. Using the "Munky method" still uses boot132/chameleon. All you need to do is substitute the new Chameleon2 for the boot132/chameleon boot loader you had before. It's not that difficult.

You can still use the EFI partition to boot and store all of the hacked kexts while using the new Chameleon2 bootloader. Maybe there are some special cases that don't work. For everyone else - I really don't understand the problem.

There are several problems. You just have to read the post above to know them :)

It always defaulted to a non-bootable drive so no quiet boot with it. Also, the GUI is nice but I prefer original apple boot graphics (maybe these will be fixed in future).

You can change the default boot partition by adding to your boot.plist:

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

That boots my 'Mac OS X' by default using also the timout feature:

<key>Timeout<key>

<string>5</string>

Finally, you can set it to not use the graphical bootloader and you are able yo create your own theme. Which in your case can be a replica of the offical boot graphics.

So, apart from the partitions that show up which I gues will be fixed in the future (remember it is a release candidate), I think that Chameleon is as good as the EFI method. And will continue to grow in popularity as well as features, but that is a topic for an whole other discussion.

would someone be knowledgeable & be kind enough to give (detailed) info about the following kexts that comes w/ chameleon 2.0 by default:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

tnx in advance.

would someone be knowledgeable & be kind enough to give (detailed) info about the following kexts that comes w/ chameleon 2.0 by default:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

tnx in advance.

I second the motion. Likewise thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm used munky method to install Leopard in my GA-x58-UD3r but I don't Have Sound or WIFI Support.

General Question:

1)Normally where I'm install the Kexts in the EFI or in the Install Partition?

2)Can I Simply Mount EFI (With EFI Mounter) Drop the New Kext in the Extension Folder and Run update.sh in Terminal and that's it?

Expecific for my Board:

3)Can Some one point Which Kext to use to Enable Audio? and Where to Install them in the EFI or in the Install Partition

Thanks

Andy

I copied all kext files to /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

do I have to do anything else than

sudo -s
cd path/to/kext
cp -R Blah.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
cd /Volumes/EFI
./update.sh

?

It tells me "failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI"

I read something about extensioncache or so?

and my second question is about the ATI x1950 driver...

the archive includes 4x kext, 3x bundle, 1x command files and one OpenGL.framework folder...

do I have to copy all the files into my /Extensions/?

Hi there. I've run into a problem on my second time around using this guide. When I turn on the computer, I am taken to this screen:

PICT0878.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image, my camera is pretty old.

My drive is partitioned in two. The Macintosh partition is where the Vanilla kernel is located. So, I press enter and wait for it to boot up. Then instead of this screen:

PICT0877.jpg

Which I get when booting up with the CD, I get a screen similar to it without the Apple logo. After 30-45 seconds, I get this message:

PICT0879.jpg

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm thinking I might have not copied over an important .kext that might be causing it. Anyways, thanks.

Earl

Hi, I'm used munky method to install Leopard in my GA-x58-UD3r but I don't Have Sound or WIFI Support.

General Question:

1)Normally where I'm install the Kexts in the EFI or in the Install Partition?

2)Can I Simply Mount EFI (With EFI Mounter) Drop the New Kext in the Extension Folder and Run update.sh in Terminal and that's it?

Expecific for my Board:

3)Can Some one point Which Kext to use to Enable Audio? and Where to Install them in the EFI or in the Install Partition

Thanks

Andy

Legacy AppleHDA, I think alc889a. check the x58 buying recommendation thread where x58 people are helped.

My drive is partitioned in two. The Macintosh partition is where the Vanilla kernel is located. So, I press enter and wait for it to boot up. Then instead of this screen:

Instead of just pressing enter, type "-v -f", then press enter. Those are kernel flags and you should read up on them (use search, there's a thread listing most of them).

The last screen is a Kernel Panic, read up on that one as well. Passing the "-v" flag will make sure that some text is displayed behind the panic screen. This text will enable other people to help you.

Thank you very much, indeed this was this simple yet best os X install for me so far. Boot times improved drastically around 10 - 15 sec from start, on the other hand ı just could not do 100 % retail install, I had some problem with legacy ich10 kexts from netkas, and apple HDA with enabler kexts, they did not worked when I install them in the EFI partitions, but when i install them into system / library /extension wolder they worked. Please comment. anyway, still this is the best install for me, thanks for good work.

Best regards,

Thank you munky it works like a charm ;)

EFI strings in com.apple.Boot.plist do support my Geforce 6600 also!

Is ther a Way to change the following:

Modell-Identifizierung: Must be filled by OEM

Boot-ROM-Version: XXXX.XXXX.XXX

Seriennummer: SOMESRLNMBR

Thanks in Advance