[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Just wondering.

In theory, if I have the same .kexts on my EFI as I have on my boot-132 CD I should be able to at least boot into the machine, right?

Or would the EFI partition need something else that's more hidden in a regular boot-132 or grub-dfe?

Hootch

I see other people getting it to work and seriously, I've wasted so much time - I just want it to work. I was able to get it to work a little over a year ago on the same machine, but now, for the life of me, I can't get it to work. PLEASE someone help me figure this out.

I have an HP dv9000t CTO with Intel T7200 CPU, nVidia GeForceGo 7600 w/512MB VRAM.

- Using retail OS X 10.5.4 DL DVD

- Installation method used: Munky; EFI v6.1

- Boot CD used (although now booting from hard disk) thanks to Munky method: BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY

nvinject.free.fr kext used:

NVinjectGo.0.2.0b_512.zip

Hi, i also got it to work( sorry to tell you so) in a prety near machine, dv9780ez.

I change nothing im my Bios not even for the other releases and just used BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.ISO + 10.5.4 and/ or

10.5.6, both retail.

I had to solve some things after ( like trackpad, sound, etc) but all goes ok.

try it...and good luck.

:whistle:

EDIT: I never used DSDT, it is useless for me and keeps me from seeing battery meter...

Hi Bladerunner thank you for helping me. I did try this but got within nano (after erasing the string) the message: system is read only.. cant write the file. Why is this? Didnt know how to solve it at that time ;(

After this I rebooted and got a boot0: error.. then I did a complete re install, again the boot0: error. I figured out it had to do something with my drive setup. I have 1 SATA drive with MACOS on it plus an extra IDE drive connected to the onboard JMicron JMB363 controller. Looking in BIOS in boot priority the SATA wasnt showing up at all (only floppy/cd and the ide drive were there) although in the main BIOS screen it was correctly shown as detected as SATA1! I then took the IDE cable off the IDE drive and looked again in BIOS and now my SATA drive DID show up in the boot priority list (and the IDE had gone out)! Very strange. Now I could boot right into MAC OS. I then re connected the IDE drive and everything was working as it should.

Now for my last questions:

I have another SATA drive with XP already on it..I wanna connect it too.. afraid to screw up..should it have the chain0 or other to function correct with one SATA being the MACOSX drive?

I also have the problem that sometimes (1 out of 3 boots) I dont have USB keyboard and USB mouse working...any ideas why?

Since I have only one internal sata drive I can't provide any help with the multi drive configuration issues.

I have never had a problem with making changes in single user mode. Did you do the mount command as I told you? If memory serves correctly, the command is "mount -uw /". I did tell you that there were instructions on the screen when you boot in single user mode that allow you to make changes. Did you read and follow them?

Haven't read all the posts in the thread, but:

Is there anyway to get the apple logo back into the bootloader? Copy from 5.1, or what? I mean it can't be THAT huge to take out. I want my apple logo damnit! It's a sexy boot process for a sexy OS. :P

For Audio..why can't I use the Taruga patch method? I followed everything and I do have SOUND now!!

you can. but if you use the kexts patched with Taruga's patcher you'll have to leave the kexts on S/L/E, and not in the hidden EFI partition, where they'll be safe from system updates.

The link I posted has kexts for audio that work from the EFI boot partition.

Haven't read all the posts in the thread, but:

Is there anyway to get the apple logo back into the bootloader? Copy from 5.1, or what? I mean it can't be THAT huge to take out. I want my apple logo damnit! It's a sexy boot process for a sexy OS. :)

Not easily. If you don't need DSDT patch then use 5.1. You need to understand that the stage 2 booter has to be 62KB in size to work currently, although Chameleon is working on breaking that limit. So to add the EFI and DSDT into this boot loader required sacrificing some other code to fit it all in, hence the logo is gone.

Hello, I'm noob.

If I have two separate SATA HDD drives, one for Leopard Retail and the other for Vista Ultimate 64bit, on which HDD drive should the bootloader resides?

If BIOS setting need to be changed between Windows and Leopard, does this mean that I have to manually load appropriate BIOS setting before proceeding to the bootloader?

Thank you.

Not easily. If you don't need DSDT patch then use 5.1. You need to understand that the stage 2 booter has to be 62KB in size to work currently, although Chameleon is working on breaking that limit. So to add the EFI and DSDT into this boot loader required sacrificing some other code to fit it all in, hence the logo is gone.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. That makes sense.

I'm investing money into a nice new OSX86 laptop, but I'm just trying to figure out the bridge of power. I could spend 850$ and get a Pangolin Performance (2ghz core 2, geforce 9300) or shell out somewhere around 350$ for a Dell Mini9 and use an Atom. Chat for another time, but thank you for clarifying the bootloader.

Since I have only one internal sata drive I can't provide any help with the multi drive configuration issues.

I have never had a problem with making changes in single user mode. Did you do the mount command as I told you? If memory serves correctly, the command is "mount -uw /". I did tell you that there were instructions on the screen when you boot in single user mode that allow you to make changes. Did you read and follow them?

I checked again and see why I couldnt...at that point in time I didnt understand how to do: /sbin/fsck -fy and the 2nd step should have been /sbin/mount -uw / Now I do.. I should have just typed the commands from the prompt but thought I could not..thought a program could only be executed when you start with typing a ./ thats why I didnt understand it and played around with the sudo command. Sorry for that Im learning more commands with the minute! ;p

Pity you cant help with connecting up my 2nd SATA with XP on it ...Ill do more research on this forum.

-------

Can you plze. also explain to me where the file com.apple.Boot.plist is used for? If I wanna change something in it (I read you can e.g. set a resolution in it/add strings) and since I am using EFI booting, do I need to change the file that resides in the EFI partition or the one on the root drive???

If I e.g. use the program OSX86util that is of course started from the GUI, I assume it then changes the com.apple.Boot.plist file on the root drive of the system and not on the hidden EFI and in this way Im screwing my system up?! I really like and need to understand this before I get into problems.

Same question I have for a kext file: do understand I need to put them on the EFI partition following this guide but what happens if they conflict or worse have the same name as the one used by the vanilla apple install itself under drive/System/L/E/...wont there be any conflicts arising when you reboot? Does the boot procedure solve this automatically or....? Can I just add any kext to my EFI and hope it will not conflict or do I need to erase the apple kext at the same time?

thxs again!

I checked again and see why I couldnt...at that point in time I didnt understand how to do: /sbin/fsck -fy and the 2nd step should have been /sbin/mount -uw / Now I do.. I should have just typed the commands from the prompt but thought I could not..thought a program could only be executed when you start with typing a ./ thats why I didnt understand it and played around with the sudo command. Sorry for that Im learning more commands with the minute! ;p

Pity you cant help with connecting up my 2nd SATA with XP on it ...Ill do more research on this forum.

-------

Can you plze. also explain to me where the file com.apple.Boot.plist is used for? If I wanna change something in it (I read you can e.g. set a resolution in it/add strings) and since I am using EFI booting, do I need to change the file that resides in the EFI partition or the one on the root drive???

If I e.g. use the program OSX86util that is of course started from the GUI, I assume it then changes the com.apple.Boot.plist file on the root drive of the system and not on the hidden EFI and in this way Im screwing my system up?! I really like and need to understand this before I get into problems.

Same question I have for a kext file: do understand I need to put them on the EFI partition following this guide but what happens if they conflict or worse have the same name as the one used by the vanilla apple install itself under drive/System/L/E/...wont there be any conflicts arising when you reboot? Does the boot procedure solve this automatically or....? Can I just add any kext to my EFI and hope it will not conflict or do I need to erase the apple kext at the same time?

thxs again!

Well, you tossed in a bunch of questions. I will try to cover a few of them.

First, the com.apple.Boot.plist file. You can make changes to either one of them. If you have only one osx partition on a given drive, I would suggest making the changes to the one in the EFI partition. If you update both of them and make conflicting changes I have no idea which will take effect. So, I would pick one and confine all my changes to that one.

Second, the kext packages. There can indeed be conflicts between the kext in the /S/L/E directory and the one in the EFI partition. You can have the same named kext in each location. OS X will load/use the newest one as identified by the version numbers. ~Galaxy provides a good explanation of the issue in this post in the Slimbuild thread

Hope it helps.

** DEPRECATION NOTICE: This functionality is coming to a Chameleon release very soon. Once Chameleon supports this approach, this project will be retired. Thanks to everyone who uses this bootloader, thanks for the support and the kind words ;) **

Munky, any news when this "very soon" is coming? Is this likely to be more noob-friendly as well? Looks like the perfect way for a Hackintosh but something that requires a little more experience than bunging Kalyway (or your fave distro) in...

Munky, any news when this "very soon" is coming? Is this likely to be more noob-friendly as well? Looks like the perfect way for a Hackintosh but something that requires a little more experience than bunging Kalyway (or your fave distro) in...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151429#

bye...

Sorry for not reading the entire post, but is it possible to install an existing release of chameleon onto the EFI partition? just wanting to see if i can get it to see my vista partiton which at the moment this does not.

EDIT: Also what does boot-turbo-munky.bin do or what does it have in it? could i make my own one of these that uses parts from chameleon?

:wacko: RAID MOD !!

thanks munky for this great loader. i modified it to be able to boot from soft RAID. setting up the efi partition works precisely as you described but there is one gotcha:

you need a "boot-uuid" or "Root UUID" entry in your plist on the EFI partition. that is needed because the disks in raid sometimes change their /dev/diskX names ...

it works by booting from the "Boot OSX" partition that mac os x appends to every raid slice.

tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :(

attached you my modified source and modified boot binary.

cheers and thank you again for this boot method.

EDIT: i noticed i {censored}ed up when uploading the source. so here is the source and a patch to apply to munky's original v61 source

efi_boot_raid.bin.zip

efi_boot_v6.1.zip

v61_src.zip

patch.txt

Wow, next ver of Chameleon implemented this

http://chameleon .osx86 . hu/articles/more-new-features-added-to-next-chameleon-version-part-2

EFI system partition booting support.

This is the method what Munky and Turbo introduced first. You can put your boot loader along with all /Extra stuff to this partition then can safely boot your untouched vanilla install. We have a new experimental FAT32 filesystem support with long file names.

Sorry for not reading the entire post, but is it possible to install an existing release of chameleon onto the EFI partition? just wanting to see if i can get it to see my vista partiton which at the moment this does not.

EDIT: Also what does boot-turbo-munky.bin do or what does it have in it? could i make my own one of these that uses parts from chameleon?

This is for new installs. If you have a empty or spare HD, you can do a retail install onto it. Or just erase your current install and do a retail install. Follow Munky's instructions in post 1 of this thread.

EDIT: If you know C/Obj C, download the source code and go from there (source code is linked in Post 1 of this thread)

I didnt found it in the thread yet, do this support a raid setup yet?

I tried copying everything, include the kext and my com.apple.boot.plist on both EFI patitions, like i installed the old bootloader for raid. Basically I did the whole process above two times, one time for each HD of the raid. Unfortunately i only get the 'com.apple.boot.plist not found' error and land at the startprompt (where you enter the 80, 81 etc for your HD) but of course the raid 'device' is not listed. I have the right boot-uuid in the boot.plist, so it should find the startdisk, right?

Anyway, HUGE thanks for this to all involved. This is really awesome and i got a clean Vanilla Install on a second single HD. Keep it comming, one day you will only see from the case that we dont have real Apple Hardware. :-)

My System:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R

Core2Quad Q9950 (3,2GHz)

4GB Ram

GeForce 8800 GTS 320

Good Work!

:) RAID MOD !!

thanks munky for this great loader. i modified it to be able to boot from soft RAID. setting up the efi partition works precisely as you described but there is one gotcha:

you need a "boot-uuid" or "Root UUID" entry in your plist on the EFI partition. that is needed because the disks in raid sometimes change their /dev/diskX names ...

it works by booting from the "Boot OSX" partition that mac os x appends to every raid slice.

tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :)

EDIT: i noticed i {censored}ed up when uploading the source. so here is the source and a patch to apply to munky's original v61 source

;) RAID MOD !!

tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :D

Hi fxtentacle, good work!

I will start to test your modded munky file, but I need light on some point:

1) I have to put efi_raid.bin on BOOT partition

AND

2) efi_boot_6.1 onto EFI partition

AND

3) edit boot.plist AND put it onto both BOOT partition and EFI partition?

Explaine better your method, please mate, point-point if possible, your work is very interesting for us!!!

Munky, Thank you... I just installed Leopard OSX 10.5 Retail DVD into my GA-EP45-DS3L and it BOOTS!

However, when I added kexts in /Extensions folder, I was getting appleacpiplatform errors, hence I removed them all completely and it boots fine. I guess, I'll plug required kext one by one into Extensions folder to filter out problematic ones.

It worked! Thanks again for the help. Here what i did:

First i made sure the disks of the raid were totaly clean. For that i deleted the raid and formated both disks to MS-DOS patition and than back to Apple GUID (I had trouble with just reformating the raid). Than i created a fresh raid0 from this disks.

After that i restored my old Install back to the raid, though a new install would work too of course. After the recover i booted into my other Leo (non raid) and installed the normal cameleon bootloader to the new raiddisk.

Than i did the steps from the first post on both raid disks, but with the bootfile from fxtentacle. Im not sure if it is necessery to install it on both, but since the space is not used anyway it cant hurt. :)

I rebooted into the raid and voila - OSX loaded. Already did the update to 10.5.6 and it work too.

I just have two smaller issues: On boot, i no longer have the apple logo. I get the spinning wheel in the lower part but the apple is missing. Second, after the update, my Harddisks show as external disks and the AHCI is no longer recocnised properly in systemprofiler. It load the kext from the harddisk since its never it seem. Delete it from HD help, but is not really elegant. :) Any ideas on this?

Thanks and greetings,

Hagbard

and installed the normal cameleon bootloader to the new raiddisk...

Is there a PCEFI v9?

Than i did the steps from the first post on both raid disks, but with the bootfile from fxtentacle

fxtentacle attach two files: efi_boot_raid.bin AND a zip efi_boot v6.1 wich have boot-turbo-munky.bin in it. Wich of these must be used?

...i no longer have the apple logo

munky deleted the apple logo to save space. V5.1 have it and you can switch to this, in regular install, of course, not raid, I'm afraid.

... my Harddisks show as external disks and the AHCI is no longer recocnised properly in systemprofiler

Try to put a flag -f to apple.com.boot.plist OR put IOAHCIBlockstorage.kext and AppleACHCIPort.kext in /Extra/Extension. You may also try some Legacy kext as per cyclonefr topic or take it from topic in my signature.

I will try some test soon as possible so let me know your "how to", please

Thank you!

First of all thanks very much to Munky for this nice mod.

For quite a few of us who has only one hard-drive available in the system and wants to dual boot OSX and Win32, there has been a problem that the bootloader wont detect NTFS partitions. With the public release of EasyBCD 2.0 beta, the problem has been solved.

1) Boot into Windows and install EasyBCD from here. Add a Mac entry, with EFI bootloader option

2) Put a copy of boot-turbo-munky.bin in the C:\NST directory, rename it to nst_mac.efi; or you can edit the lst file so it looks for boot-turbo-munky.bin; whichever way doesnt matter as long as you specify and provide the munky boot file.

3)At this point you should have the Win32 partition active, otherwise make it so.

Restart and enjoy your dual booting system

My Config:

X61T laptop

160G GPT

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN7 30.0 Gi disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Depot 68.4 Gi disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS OSX 50.2 Gi disk0s4