[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

:) RAID MOD !!

thanks munky for this great loader. i modified it to be able to boot from soft RAID. setting up the efi partition works precisely as you described but there is one gotcha:

you need a "boot-uuid" or "Root UUID" entry in your plist on the EFI partition. that is needed because the disks in raid sometimes change their /dev/diskX names ...

it works by booting from the "Boot OSX" partition that mac os x appends to every raid slice.

tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :)

attached you my modified source and modified boot binary.

cheers and thank you again for this boot method.

EDIT: i noticed i {censored}ed up when uploading the source. so here is the source and a patch to apply to munky's original v61 source

Huge thanks fxtentacle!!! Works fine!!!!

Thnks to hagbard for his inputs, too!!

This is what I've done:

same procedure, as per munky guide, for every slice disk: bootloader efi-boot-raid.bin by fxtentacle instead of boot-turbo-munky.bin;

Only if you must use com.apple.Boot.plist in EFI partition, you have to add raid uuid in kernel flags (boot-uuid=hexnumber).

I usually put my kext in /V/Ext and it works flawlessy!!!!

I only have same issues of hagbard:

kernel flag -f and EFI string are not charged at boot... I'working to this issue and I will appreciate every enlightment!!!

Great work, mates!!! Thanks to all of you!

@blackcorsair:

yeah that is precisely the procedure. thanks for describing it in normal words :)

i modified it a little bit further, this version does NOT have DSDT but has chameleons SMBIOS patching instead.

here's my boot plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>boot-uuid</key>

<string>0677E342-B20B-31E0-8EAD-25C9648CF71B</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>375</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3150</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W3465MMN0P2</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>

<string>Mushkin</string>

<key>SMmemserial</key>

<string>Unknown</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>Unknown</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>

<string>BANK 0</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>

<string>BANK 1</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_3</key>

<string>BANK 2</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_4</key>

<string>BANK 3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

gives me a Mac Pro in systemprofiler :) and i dont need a smbios enabler or applesmbios anymore :)

btw with my yukon2 as an efi string, timemachine works fine.

@hagbard

if you put a boot plist on your EFI partition, it will use that instead of the one on the Boot OsX partition and instead of the one in /System

there is a LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext which is basically just an Info.plist packaged as kext. that one makes your drives report as internal AHCI

as for the apple logo: they removed it to make room for the efi emulation. to keep the booter below 64K

boot.zip

Thank you mate. I go to try this new one...

But is right only "boot" your new file? Not "boot.bin"? I have to add .bin?

B.C.

ps. Have you an EFI string for my Marvell 88E8056? I can modify the plist easily, but... EFI string is more vanilla!

First of all thanks very much to Munky for this nice mod.

For quite a few of us who has only one hard-drive available in the system and wants to dual boot OSX and Win32, there has been a problem that the bootloader wont detect NTFS partitions. With the public release of EasyBCD 2.0 beta, the problem has been solved.

1) Boot into Windows and install EasyBCD from here. Add a Mac entry, with EFI bootloader option

2) Put a copy of boot-turbo-munky.bin in the C:\NST directory, rename it to nst_mac.efi; or you can edit the lst file so it looks for boot-turbo-munky.bin; whichever way doesnt matter as long as you specify and provide the munky boot file.

3)At this point you should have the Win32 partition active, otherwise make it so.

Restart and enjoy your dual booting system

My Config:

X61T laptop

160G GPT

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN7 30.0 Gi disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Depot 68.4 Gi disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS OSX 50.2 Gi disk0s4

Sounds very nice but will this also work if I have 2 harddisks? One is my XP drive and my 2nd hdrive holds the EFI plus MACOSX. Or..do I need to change somethings?

Sounds very nice but will this also work if I have 2 harddisks? One is my XP drive and my 2nd hdrive holds the EFI plus MACOSX. Or..do I need to change somethings?

In your case, its easier as you have many options:

1) If supported by BIOS, hit F12 to load different HDs

2) Boot from 2nd HD, hit ESC at darwin booter prompt, enter 80 (try 81 as well not sure), select XP partition

3) Boot from 1st HD, from EasyBCD menu choose MacOS. (Be sure to use the right disk# when add this MacOS entry.)

if you use my raid mod, you have 3 com.apple.Boot.plist locations:

-EFI

-Leopard disk

-BOOT OSX

use the one in efi and add a boot-uuid entry with the same value as the long Root UUID on your Boot OsX plist

the thing is, if there is a com.apple.Boot.plist present on the EFI partition, then all the other plists are ignored. and honestly, you dont want to modify the plist on the boot osx partition. it will get overwritten randomly because it is supposed to be only a copy of the "real" plist on your system partition. the plist on your system partition however is not readable by the bootloader since the bootloader does not know about your raid. so if you want to use efi strings and smbios patching, you need to use the plist on the efi partition. make sure to set the boot-uuid thingy or rd=... otherwise your booter might hand while trying to guess which drive to boot from.

Hi. Need Help on GA-965P-DS3, 7900 GS 256MB QE, CI hardware and ALC833 sound. Been reading threads and been at it for 3 long days already.

Munky's Boot-132 Method (Hidden Partition Method)

Boots: Yes

.ISO used, kexts installed in EFI hidden partition: Sabr's GA-965P-DS3 .iso (no sound or graphics kexts)

OSX DVD Retail: 10.4 upgrading to 10.6 if problems are solved

GA-965P-DS3 rev. 1.0 (ALC833 sound chip)

all SATA hardisk/s (only one is plugged at the moment) and DVD

7900 GS 256MB

BIOS: set to IDE instead of AHCI (tested fine with AHCI)

Lacking/Problems: no sound and QE, CI is software only

Requesting for:

help on finding a tested ALC833 kext (preferably 5.1) compatible with this method

help on finding a tested 7900 GS kext with QE and CI hardware compatible with this method

info if this method is compatible with Time Machine

help on fix: no restart, (minor problem. It shuts down fine though)

If there's no fix, requesting for:

2nd best method to install 10.5.6 (I've used Kalyway updated up to 10.5.5 before Munky's method), iPC perhaps or back to iAtkos, Kalyway, iDeneb and the other distros?

Thanks in advance.

SUCCESS on a asus p5w dh deluxe

it took me quite a while to figure out that the .mkext is not the best way to go and to unpack it first with the mkexttool and then copy it over to the extensions folder

maybe that deserves a note in the first post to save other people the hassle

mkext tool: http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=48

i used the mkext from aliab http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1041928

and natit.kext for my gf http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32427

i also changed the boot.plist (added the gpu and network) but i dont know if that makes a difference

this really is a great method

big up to munky

in gerneral it would be great if people who succeded with their hardware and have a working install also give a bit of info and links to the files they used

would save other people with the same hardware a lot of time

i for one was working 2 weeks on getting a new install (didnt follow the osx86 news for a year)

Hey Munky,

Thanks for the Great Guide...

I had few issues neither Chameleon not Pc_EFI worked on my OS X. So i tried ur method and

it worked Charmingly... Hell of Thnx for that... :D

But now have a lil problem everythin else is working smooth. BUT LOST AUDIO...

Plz help me out. b4 i was using Azalia for my ALC 888 S atleast it gave me 2 channel output.

But now i lost it all can u plz guide me i am *noob.

Thnx in Advance... :rolleyes: U just Rock...! :P

*** Special thanks to Turbo, Dense, dfe, zef and the rest of the chameleon team for making this possible... :D ***

** DEPRECATION NOTICE: This functionality is coming to a Chameleon release very soon. Once Chameleon supports this approach, this project will be retired. Thanks to everyone who uses this bootloader, thanks for the support and the kind words :) **

LATEST UPDATES:

- D'oh! v6 looks for DSDT.aml in the root partition, not EFI partition. v6.1 corrects this error.

- DSDT override patch now integrated (v6) (credit and huge thanks to mackerintel!), for 10.5.6 support.

- Source code attached. Didn't get round to commenting and cleaning up. Suffice to say, 99% of the work was done by dfe, turbo, zef and the team.

CHANGELOG:

- v6.1 corrects the bug whereby v6 looked for the DSDT.aml file in the root partition, not the EFI partition.

- v6 is a stopgap solution in case 10.5.6 hits before the new Chameleon is released. It supports DSDT.aml file in root of EFI partition.

- v5.1 fixes an error in the packaging - in v5, 'boot' was the v5 version, but 'boot-turbo-munky.bin' was still v4.

- v5 has updated FSB detection code from Chameleon

- Basic dual booting is possible. Just hit esc at darwin bootprompt and enter 81 for 2nd drive, 82 for 3rd...

- v4 now supports JMicron ATA

- v3 now supports Boot.plist on the EFI partition

- v2 now supports device-properties (aka EFI Strings) in com.apple.Boot.plist !

A *BIG* thank u to Chameleon team for sharing their great sources - porting was a cinch!

The release of dfe's amazing boot-132 loader was an eye-opener for many of us in the community. The fact we can boot the shrink-wrapped, unmodified retail Leopard DVD on modern Intel machines (and, it turned out, on any SSE2 or better Intel machine) means we have the ability to boot a totally unmodified OS X. (The install DVD of course boots into Mac OS X).

However, it seemed most people didnt realise the gravity of this, or simply thought 'oh thats nice, use retail to install. ok, back to hacking in /System/Library/Extensions....'.

This is, imho, the wrong approach.

The *right* approach is to leave /System/Library/Extensions alone, and apply patches and modifications to the system from a different vector, just like boot-132.

This is, in my humble opinion, the ultimate hackintosh install method.

What benefit does that give you?

* Well, how about trouble-free Software Update direct from Apple? Even on SSE2 Intels? (and AMDs when Voodoo 9.5.0 final comes out...)

* How about being able to completely erase and reinstall the OS without breaking ur carefully-assembled patches?

* How about being able to boot *the same disk* on a real mac and your hack?

* How about having a com.apple.Boot.plist completely outwith the installed OS?

all without losing the usual EFI strings goodness you've come to expect from a bootloader... (Thx to Chameleon team!)

So munky, where's the beef?

Well first, a little history...

When you format a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk in Disk Utility, there is always a hidden, 200Mb partition created as the first partition on the disk. This is supposed to be a 200Mb FAT-32 partition used for storing EFI drivers, and is mandated by the EFI / GPT specs.

Apple honours the specs and so puts the 200Mb partition there. However, (and this is the important part...) *Apple dont use it!*

So we can hijack it and use it for our own ends. :D

You're still not getting to the point...

Ok ok. So here goes. We repurpose the EFI system partition to hold our kexts (and, if necessary, kernels) so we dont have to change the main installation. AT ALL.

The nice thing is that Mac OS X and Disk Utility (at least the graphical version) will continue to hide the EFI partition, as you're not supposed to see it. But you also have the option to mount it if you need to make changes. And, of course, on ALL systems (currently Intel SSE2 and better), Software Update can be used without much chance (if any) of breakage.

Hmmm... ok i'm sold. So how do I do it?

Well, first grab the attached zip file. This contains a modified version of boot0 from chameleon, the unmodified boot1h from chameleon, and a fork of dfe's boot2. boot0 has been changed to look for the EFI system partition, and boot2 has been modified to load extra kexts from the EFI partition.

Warnings, Pre-Requisites

*** YOU'RE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK BTW. Dont {censored} at me if your computer explodes and kills your cat. ***

You are probably best to try getting your system to boot a retail disc with boot-132 before you attempt this method. Getting it to work with boot-132 is good practice for maintaining a 'patches-free' system, and will give you a good idea of the kexts you'll need for your particular system.

NB: YOU CANNOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A RETAIL DVD. Dont try a restore or drop-in disc, they WILL NOT WORK.

Another BIG NOTE: existing chameleon, pc-efi etc bootloaders can seriously mess this up. If you have problems please try with only one hd attached and make sure u *completely destroy* the existing partitions before install.

In the following guide, i've used the convention of diskXsY. Please understand, you should NEVER type diskX or diskXsY - X and Y are placeholders and need to be replaced with proper values. On most systems installed to the first hard disk, this will be disk0. Partition 1 on any GPT disk formatted by Disk Utility will be the 200Mb EFI partition. So in most cases, we'll be talking about disk0, rdisk0 and disk0s1.

Finally, please make sure you read and re-read this guide before starting. If you are unsure about any of the steps, then my advice is DONT DO IT. Wait for someone to turn these set of instructions into an easy-to-use installer or something.

Finally, the beef!

So, best practice is to use a boot-132 disc and install a fresh Leopard installation onto a GPT disk from retail. Lets call this 'Phase 0'. You find or create a boot-132 disc capable of booting to the installer from a retail Leo disc on your particular setup. Go into Disk Utility from the menu and partition one of your drives as GUID Partition Table type and create at least one partition big enough for Leopard. Look elsewhere for questions about boot-132 (like the links above). This guide assumes you can, and have, booted the retail Leo disc and installed to a GPT disk.

Once you've done that, boot into your new install via boot-132, and do the following:

Phase 1: Reformatting the EFI System Partition.

1) Open Terminal

2) sudo -s (and type in your password)

3) diskutil info / | grep Identifier - this tells you the values for diskXsY for '/', which is the currently-booted system. (If you're doing this on a disk other than the one you've booted from, you need to modify accordingly.)

4) diskutil list - diskXs1 should be called EFI. this is the hidden EFI partition on your target drive.

5) diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1 - now, be *VERY* sure this is the correct drive. this will format the EFI partition as HFS+. (NB After erasing it will try to mount it, but will fail with "Could not mount disk0s1 with name after erase". Ignore this).

Phase 2: Installing the modified bootloader.

1) Extract the attached zip file to a directory (Safari might do this for you).

2) in terminal, cd to that directory (the one containing boot0, boot1h, boot-turbo-munky.bin and fdisk)

3) ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - this puts the stage 0 bootloader onto the target disk

4) dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1 - this puts the stage 1 bootloader onto the target partition (EFI partition)

5) mkdir /Volumes/EFI

6) mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

7) cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot

8) cp update.sh /Volumes/EFI/

Phase 3: Make the disk bootable

This stage may not be necessary on some boards, but on my Intel board and Bad Axe boards it is. If you skip this step and your system wont boot, try doing it. That said, doing this on boards which DONT need it will do no harm so my logic is do it anyway.

Type the fdisk command and then each line as shown:

1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

2) f 1

3) w

4) q

Phase 4: Setup your new bootloader EFI partition

1) Setup directory tree:

mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter

mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd

2) touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log - this prevents the File System Events Daemon (fseventsd) from logging on this volume, which can cause the EFI partition to become unmountable.

3) copy necessary extensions into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions (eg:

cd <directory containing kexts>

cp -R *.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions)

4) if necessary, copy patched kernel into /Volumes/EFI/ (eg:

cd <directory containing the wonderful Voodoo kernel)

cp mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/EFI/

5) cd /Volumes/EFI

chmod +x update.sh

sudo ./update.sh - this will build a kextcache in /System/Booter. Please check update.log for any errors. (Dependency warnings are ok and normal - the dependencies will be available at boot time from /System/Library/Extensions).

6) umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI).

7) rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

8) If your machine cannot use the vanilla kernel, at this point you must take a note of your install's UUID. Open Disk Utility.app and click on the partition containing your fresh install. Click the blue 'I' information icon and look for Universal Unique Identifier. This should be a fairly long hex string. Write this down somewhere on a piece of paper. (not in a text file on the computer!)

You should be ready to boot at this stage.

Phase 5: Test boot!

So this differs slightly depending on whether you have a Core cpu or not - that is, whether you can (or choose to) run the vanilla kernel or a patched kernel.

If you boot the vanilla kernel, you should just have to press Return, as the bootloader should find your installed OS.

If you boot a patched kernel, the magic you need is this:

bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=<the install's uuid you wrote down earlier>.

With a bit of luck, you'll boot up into your nice shiny new Leopard install, and be able to use Software Update without worrying.

Phase 6: Post-Install - Kexts, EFI strings, Boot.plist, Troubleshooting

Kexts:

So you booted back up, but you maybe dont have gfx support, or are missing some nice LAN kext... To mount EFI:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

to install new kexts:

sudo -s

cd path/to/kext

cp -R Blah.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

cd /Volumes/EFI

./update.sh

EFI Strings and com.apple.Boot.plist:

v3 of the bootloader supports a com.apple.Boot.plist file located on the EFI partition. You can place this in either of these two locations:

/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist

-or-

/Volumes/EFI/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Its your choice, and it makes no difference. If you have both it will favour the one in /Library/Pref.....

This is, of course, the place to put EFI strings - aka device properties - strings. This bootloader supports EFI strings in the same format as Chameleon expects them.

Troubleshooting

If you ever get 'mount_hfs: Invalid argument' when trying to mount the EFI partition, do this to fix it:

fsck_hfs /dev/disxXs1.

*** Always unmount the EFI partition before rebooting, to stop this happening! umount /Volumes/EFI! ***

:)

Notes

On my system (a Pentium D920 currently, though after tomorrow it'll be a Core 2 Duo), there is actually one modification to the installed system, and that is the com.apple.Boot.plist file. I simply couldnt be bothered typing out the uuid every time I booted the machine, so I put my boot parameters into that plist file. v3 supports a com.apple.Boot.plist on the EFI partition :)

I also have a vanilla installation on a USB drive which I share between two real macs (my home MacBook Pro and my work MacBook Pro) as well as my hack. I have the necessary kexts and kernels on the EFI partition (remember, the real macs ignore this partition), and to boot it on my hackintosh, i just have to type in the correct parameters for booting, ie:

bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo boot-uuid=<blah>. v3 supports com.apple.Boot.plist on EFI. :)

One thing - you can actually use rd=diskXsY to specify the boot device. I prefer using boot-uuid because that wont break if I change the configuration of hard disks on my machine, whereas the diskXsY values could.

Another thing, for pre-Core users, please keep the relevant System.kext on the EFI partition for the kernel you wish to use. For example, my hackintosh has mach_kernel.voodoo (9.4.0 kernel for 10.5.4), and the 9.4.0 (10.5.4) System.kext in /System/Booter/Extensions.mkext. These are used in preference to the kernel and System.kext on the installation, which are both vanilla 9.5.0 (10.5.5) versions. This means USB mounting etc wont break.

Dual- Triple- Quadruple-.... Booting!

Since this bootloader is based on dfe, you can hit escape at the darwin boot prompt and enter a new bios device id to boot from. If you have a 2nd hard disk with Windows, you can hit esc, type 81 and enter, and it should show the darwin prompt with 'Foreign OS'. Hit enter to boot Windows ;)

Background Reading

If this stuff is new to you, or you're having trouble following, please read these threads first:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123841

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123313

Source Code

Now attached. Apologies for not having commented it all properly, or even doing basic cleaning up. All work by dfe, turbo, zef, chameleon team with a couple small bits and bobs from me.

Changelog and Downloads

v1 is the original bootloader, comprising Turbo's changes to the dfe bootloader. Deprecated by v2

v2 supports EFI strings in com.apple.Boot.plist. apply them in chameleon style - ie <device-properties> tag. Deprecated by v3

v3 supports a com.apple.Boot.plist on the EFI partition (in root or in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration), boots faster, and integrates the update.sh script :)

v4 supports JMicron and other 'troublesome' ATA

v5 adds the improved FSB detection code from Chameleon

v5.1 is a repackaging of v5 to correct a misnamed file. No other changes.

v6 supports DSDT override, and has apple boot logo removed (needed to save space :( )

v6.1 makes the bootloader look for DSDT.aml in root of EFI partition, not boot partition. D'oh!

v5.1 source attached.

Hey jjduro,

Thnx for the Response...

i tired using Chameleon all time it didnt work. So i am new to EFI partition n not much familiar with Terminal commands. Just didnt wanned to screw all my progress till date.

So was being Extra cautious. However, Thanku very much for guiding me to the Right place n will post Results.

*** Also do i need to erase Audio kexts (Azalia/Apple HDA) which i ve copied into EFI partition? if so plz can u KINDLY post me those "Terminal Commands" as i said i m not much familiar with Terminal commands. Help the needed.

Thnx once Again.... :lol:

before asking.. seach

alc888 digital output and 6 channel

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

Azalia screws up HDA and NEVER should be used at the same time.

to erase kexts from your EFI boot Partition use the following commands (be sure you know which is your boot partition e.g. disk0s1 <- that's mine)

Type (the commands are in bold):

sudo -s

(insert password)

mkdir /Volumes/EFI mount_hfs /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/EFI

cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

LS -> in lower case, to see the name of the kext you want to remove. It'll look like this in the Terminal: ls

rm -rf kext_you_want_removed.kext

(repeat the comand if necessary)

ls (to check if the kexts were removed)

cd /Volumes/EFI

./update.sh

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

and that's it

Hey jjduro,

Very kind of you this would be great help... I will use these commands n post u the Result.

Once again thanku very much for your Help this may also help others like me on this forum searching for Serious Help...

to erase kexts from your EFI boot Partition use the following commands (be sure you know which is yor boot partition e.g. disk0s1 <- that's mine)

sudo -s

(insert password)

cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions LS -> in lower case to see the name of the kext you want to remove. It'll look licke this in the Terminal: ls

cd /Volumes/EFI

./update.sh

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

and that's it

Thanks for your guide munky! Is there any way to make my OS X boot automatically without hitting ENTER at the command prompt?

Yeap,...

Just open up Terminal type this:

sudo nano Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist (Enter)

Enter your Password... (Enter)

Now find "Kernel Flags"

after that string add...

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Ctrl + O to save & Ctrl + X to exit

Reboot... Now it directly takes you to Apple Boot screen without any input from Keyboard.

BUT ul loose Apple logo on Grey Screen. It will be Blank Grey screen with Spinning circle...

Good Luck... :)

Ok I followed everythin... N Guess what it worked all credit goes to u for Guiding me...

BUT AGAIN... Though System Profiler shows all the info no SOUND output...

picture1o.png

w800.png

Above is the Image with all the info showing up in System Profiler...

I AM THAT CLOSE NOW PLZZZZ ONE LAST CLUE n ill find the TREASURE... CAN U help me... :(

to erase kexts from your EFI boot Partition use the following commands (be sure you know which is your boot partition e.g. disk0s1 <- that's mine)

sudo -s

(insert password)

cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

LS -> in lower case, to see the name of the kext you want to remove. It'll look like this in the Terminal: ls

cd /Volumes/EFI

./update.sh

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

and that's it

So.. you removed the audio kexts from the EFI partition?

Be sure to leave the one's I showed you on the EFI partition, and to remove azalia and HDA from S/L/E

and remove Extensions.mkext and the reboot

Yes, thats exactly what i did.

A small Noob question. add0 is what i used from stickpin's post. n does it have anythin to do with

ICH8 & ICH9? looks like my ALC 888 S belongs to ICH8 family... any idea's?

Is there anythin i can do to get my Audio out of those speakers?

Pls Advice.....

So.. you removed the audio kexts from the EFI partition?

Be sure to leave the one's I showed you on the EFI partition, and to remove azalia and HDA from S/L/E

and remove Extensions.mkext and the reboot

@flock44: Thanks for your reply: I found another solution, too.

I just added

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

and my PC is now booting right to my desktop.

@all: Could someone please create a "Disabler.kext" file or me that disables "AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext", "UptreamUserClient.kext" and the AppleHPET.kext or explain me how to do it myself.

Everything is working for me now except FireWire!

Another thing that is bothering me, is the missing Apple Boot Logo. I know that munky wrote that he had removed it due to space problems. Isn't there any possibility to add some code to the "boot" file so that the logo is loaded externally. So that we could just put an image file on our EFI partition that is being loaded by the boot loader.

I know Chameleon 2 is coming out really soon, but it would be nice to have the boot logo back. :angel:

Munky,

Thank you for all your info and everyone else on this forum. I am a compleate noob and with all the info on here by you and many others I finally finished my first build. I have everything working (for now at least) Sound (onboard) Graphics (Asus EN9800gt 512 Hybrid) (All resolutions,QE works) Sleep (wakes with mouse click) Shutdown (is working but we'll see) Havent tried Time Machine (cause I really dont use it) but I have the string from Uinstaller installed so it might.

I was gonna wait for the New Chameleon but it seems having all the parts I orders stitting around seemed to much for me so I gave it a shot.

I will briefly describe how I did it as it was a combination of many ways using Munky's method as a base. It starts off assuming you have already changed AICH in bios and have corectly partisioned your HD First off I am extremely dyslexic so playing around in terminal is very slow and risky as I have to read each entry multiple times to make sure it is right. Luckily for me Nameless2k made a program called epos 1 that automates Munky's set up with minimal terminal use that someone who has never even been on a computer could use. Now epos 1 supports slimbuild iso's so if you have one that works you can boot up run the program and pretty much be set. As for me I could never get Boot 132 to load up so I used Grub. No problem though cause Nameless2k in his infinite wisdom only matched by that of Munky, pcwiz and auzigog added folders for extensions and plists that you can drag and drop whatever kexts you need.

I had no problem at all getting this method to work to boot up through the efi partition but I couldn't with any combination kexts get it to give me sound and graphics support. (I am now sure this was my fault for accidentally putting in conflicting kexts, added with the fact I had no boot.plist on the partition) So here was the solution I came up with based completely on auzigogsblog.

1. Boot using grub.iso

2. Install OSX 10.5 Retail, install 10.5.6 update

3. Download from pen drive Epos I, auzigog's UD3P Package and Weaksauce's UD3P package.

(They both have different kexts so you can decide which ones you need.)

4. Add the basic kexts to the extentions folder of epos 1 once you unzip everything and follow directions to run it. (if you are not familiar with terminal you can drag the contents to your home folder and when you open up Terminal you simply type <sudo ./epos.sh> enter your password and thats it.

5. Use software update to grab any other updates then restart.

6. Open up pcwiz's Uinstaller from the Auzigog package and follow the instructions from his post.

7. Reboot and all should be working.

(note) I say basic kexts because in my set up I am pretty sure I'm using the osx boot.plist as there isnt one in my efi partison so it wont read them but I think they can interfere.

Its not 100 percent Vanilla but if an update were to erase anything it would be as simple as running Uinstaller with your already saved kexts to get it back to 100 percent. Also it dosent directly boot into OSX you have to select drive at the darwin prompt screen. (Not sure if you can boot directly into OSX though if you can please let me know as this feature has eluded me.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the info. If you just use the google search on the forum you can pretty much find out everything. Special thanks to Munky, Nameless2k, Weaksauce, pcwiz and Auzigog. They all have put so much time and effort into making all of this possible for noobs and go out of there way to help so many people that have problems.

By the way this is my first post so if it is in the wrong place I apologize also I am a noob so if I stated anything that was incorrect please let me know.

My Equipment

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

Q6600 2.4 intel quad core (Stock speed with stock cooler and thermal paste)

Asus EN9800GT 512 Hybrid (Reads as 8800gt) (Used 8800gt in Uinstaller 9800gtx didnt work)

OZC 4gigs 1066 Ram (reads as 800 in system profiler)

Corsair 650watt PowerSupply

Samsung 500gig internal HD

Samsung 22X DVD drive w/Lightscribe

Rosewill Tri Fan case

I tried no luck with Address 2... this time it shows only "Intel High Def Audio" and Blank nothin in Devices part. Adress 1 atleast showed some info....

Any Suggestions? :)

see if on stickpin's post there is a driver with adress 2. and try it

I tried no luck with Address 2... this time it shows only "Intel High Def Audio" and Blank nothin in Devices part. Adress 1 atleast showed some info....

Any Suggestions? :unsure:

That is only aestetical. It show's up because you are using HDAenabler. The Enabler is the thing that shows your devices.

it seems you have to use the "normal" kext and insert it into S/L/E. You can keep HDAenabler in the EFI partition.