[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Can someone point me to a guide that shows how to do the EFI Partition method using Chameleon 2.0?

Using search function and/or read through the thread isn't a bad idea, right?

Have a look at recipe in post #1280.

Didn't try it by myself (waiting for Chameleon's final release) but seems to work.

Didn't try it by myself (waiting for Chameleon's final release) but seems to work.

It does Work :)

And.. oh! Yes! There is a Search button here :)

Tried it. Didn't work. Search doesn't always work either: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry818350

And being a smart ass really helps. And really, who wants to read through 66 pages of {censored} to find one solution?

Shure! Take a look at my post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580

CoolEdit

Also, as in the first post of this topic and everything else I hear from people, Chameleon 2.0 is supposed to natively support booting from EFI partition. If this is true, why would i need a script to make it work?

First of all, I want to thank Munky for making this possible

If this is not the proper place for my question please accept my apologies but I have searched the forum and could not get an answer and since I'm using this method I thought of posting here.

I have a P4 3.0 Ghz system with a Microsoft usb/keyboard combo with 10.5.4 retail using voodoo 9.5 kernel running great, I updated it to 10.5.5 without problems so I decided to update to 10.5.6. After the update i no longer have access to my keyboard/mouse or to any usb device, my iPod or usb drives don't get recognized.

So if anybody has had this problem and found the solution I would be really grateful if they could share it so that I can also fix it. My motherboard has a VIA P4M800 / VT8237 chipset and my usb keyboard/mouse/drives/ipod get recognized during POST but after OSX loads they no longer work, so I can't even login into the OS.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

EDIT - The reason for updating to 10.5.6 is that I want to try iLife'09. Thanks Again

No matter what I do, after I update to Chameleon 2.0 Natit never seems to load from the EFI Partition. I always get a black screen with different colored vertial bars, and some times squares, on my screens. How can I fix this other than putting Natit on the ox partition?

HI to all,

I am trying to install in a Dell Latitude E4300.

The installation process went through ok and the first boot is successful.

After which I went ahead and copied the Extensions kext from the boot cd to the EFI partition.

After reboot using the EFI partition, my laptop keyboard and touchpad stop working.

Anyone has any idea how best to fix this?

thanks

I get to the point in Phase 4 - Step 5 where i enter;

sudo ./update.sh

...Once this is typed in I get the following message;

Updating EFI boot cache
mv: rename /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext to /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext.previous: No such file or directory
chmod: /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory
chown: /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext: No such file or direcotry
done.

Your guide then says to look at the 'update.log' file, this is what I see in there;

kextcache: ??5: couldn't get volume UUID
couldn't find any valid bundles to archive

From what I'm gathering the second line about finding no bundles to archive is because I copied no kexts to the Extensions folder.

As for the UUID message - I believe that's whats causing my problem... which is when I boot from the EFI partition it see's my Partition and I hit enter to boot, this is when my system immediately reboots, no matter what flags I try I get the same result.

UPDATE: I've gotten to the point to where if I interrupt the boot and type;

bt(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo rd=disk0s2

... the system will boot - I've tried putting this in the kernel flags section of my boot.plist located in the following directories;

/Extra/

/volumes/efi/

/volumes/efi/extra

/volumes/efi/library/preferences/systemconfiguration

...but this doesn't help, if I reboot and either wait for the timer to count down (8 seconds) - or hit enter to bypass it... it just reboots the system.

UPDATE 2: I was able to remedy my issue by copying the voodoo kernel to the root of the OS X partition as "mach_kernel"... but this means that I'm not using the actual mach_kernel.voodoo located on the in the root of the EFI partition. So I guess the question remains: is there a way to define the mach_kernel.voodoo from the EFI partition without having to manually type it in every time?

Your com.apple.Boot.plist should look like this. It will boot the voodoo kernel on the root of the EFI partition with your UUID designated partition. You'll have to edit the UUID and the graphics resolution.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=PLACE-YOUR-UUID-NUMBER-HERE</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>7</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Yes, you can.

But, note that it may not always be reliable, as the disk identifier can change when adding/removing drives.

Even if you just have a number of drives/partitions, some may be ready before others at boot time and, therefore, change the disk identifier order.

regards,

MAJ

But, note that it may not always be reliable, as the disk identifier can change when adding/removing drives.

Even if you just have a number of drives/partitions, some may be ready before others at boot time and, therefore, change the disk identifier order.

regards,

MAJ

Yes, it is better to put the UUID number on that line. Don't be lazy! ;)

ok finaly shhhhhhhh just want to report im up and running it took me a long time but i finally got it to work

im kinda afraid of terminal stuff, on this line,

1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

i was ,nt sure if i should put 1 or 0 so i use 1 not sure if thats right but im up and running so now im testing

and im just at page 22 of this forum will post back after testing,

thanks to everyone ive learned so much by just reading these threads irie man give thanks.

After a lot of problems with IDE hard drives, im finaly there! I have a fully working system except one minor thing, shutdown doesnt quite work propperly and restart has a similar problem (sleep works fine).

whats happening is when i shutdown, it exits Leopard and the screen goes black, but the power is not switched off, it just stays on forever. Restart is similar and sometimes just waits about 30 seconds in black screen before it actualy restarts.

in -v during shutdown and after some mount stuff that i read was normal it says "CPU Halted" and will stay like that untill I turn it off manualy.

im thinking its something to do with ACPI - one of / or both of the kexts being the incorrect one for this board.

Specs are now:

Asus P5QL-PRO ICH10/P43 Mobo

Intel E2200 2.2Ghz Pentium Dual Core cpu

2GB 667Mhz DDR2 ram

Gainward HD4850 (512MB) with Asus VH222H 21.5" @ 1920x1080 (native)

2x 500GB Sata Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 Drives

Sata Pioneer 20x DVD RW DL

I have leopard booting from the EFI partition and my kexts are installed in EFI/Extensions.

here is a list of the kexts currently installed:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext (Now i dont have any PS2 devices so can i delete this?)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext (this is what its named... is it right? or typo?)

AppleGenericPCATA.kext (I dont have any IDE drives can i delete this too?)

AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext (another PS2 mabe i dont need?)

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext (I think this one was to fix the USB conectivity)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (Orange Drive Icons Fix / SATA ICH10-R Controller)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (Orange Drive Icons Fix / SATA ICH10-R Controller)

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext (Lan)

[EDIT]

LegacyHDAController.kext (Onboard Audio)

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext (Onboard Audio)

HDAEnabler.kext (Onboard Audio)

[/EDIT]

so with my setup working perfect bar shutdown/restart, im against installing packages to fix it. Also the kexts for the on board sound dont work with the EFI partition method. Mabe the ACPI kexts arnt being loaded? anyone have any ideas? I can deal with my computer not shutting down fully, but ive come this far (kalyway 10.5.2, then iDeneb 10.5.5 and then my first attempts at Retail EFI Zero-Mod) and I dont want to give up, Im so close to 100% completion! Its stable, Fully updated and 100% usable as an everyday OS.

[EDIT]

Also with these new Audio kexts, im gettind Sound Assertion Errors, this doesnt affect the sound, just adds a second or two to boot up time.

[/EDIT]

Thanks to everyone who has made all this possible!

Andy.

P.S. just waiting for Chameleon Final to complete the setup. Currently using this topics original EFI method (v6.1)

Okay. I was finally able to get everything working properly on my main pc. However, I used this method on an AMD Semperon 1.8GHz and the board has the marvell yukon 88e801 network adapter. The skge.kext I found works, if installed to the system partition. I can't get it to work from the EFI partition. Also not able to get AppleAC97Audio.kext to load from EFI partition either ( AD1980 ). Any suggestions?

MEE TOO!! Anybody have a dual boot idea on this one?

currently it won't go to the windows partition that is installed already...

ps

chameleon screwed it up last time

so i'm paranoid of that one...

Hi,

I am trying to dual boot leopard using this installation method and vista. I read on this page link that I need to install Chameleon. However on the first post of this thread it says that we can't install chameleon or pc_efi otherwise it might mess things up. So should I install chameleon or not to dual boot with vista? I am not sure what Chameleon is and what it does, could someone please explain to me? I went to their website and still couldn't figure it out, is it another kind of bootloader like the dfe one we are using here? Can they co-exist?

Thanks!

p.s. I am using only 1 hard disk with GPT

Okay. I was finally able to get everything working properly on my main pc. However, I used this method on an AMD Semperon 1.8GHz and the board has the marvell yukon 88e801 network adapter. The skge.kext I found works, if installed to the system partition. I can't get it to work from the EFI partition. Also not able to get AppleAC97Audio.kext to load from EFI partition either ( AD1980 ). Any suggestions?

Be sure to use the kext in mkext format for audio to work. Some kext (for instance for my lan) need to be booted with -f or in /System/Library/Extensions for it to work. Not sure why, but it is the way it is...

MEE TOO!! Anybody have a dual boot idea on this one?

currently it won't go to the windows partition that is installed already...

ps

chameleon screwed it up last time

so i'm paranoid of that one...

Chameleon is nothing to be afraid of. It is a simple bootloader with options that you would use in combination with mac os x. You are able to use smbios.plist, kext, different kernel and a modified bios if you need one. The thing to understand is that you do not need anything from this post if you use chameleon. Imagine a new empty drive. Format it with three partitions (1st MacLoader 1GB, 2nd MacOSX >8GB, 3rd Windows >10GB). Now install Retail Leopard with your boot-132 cd top the MacOSX partition. Reboot with boot-132 cd into os x. Install Chameleon to the MacLoader partition and set boot flag to MacLoader. Add kext and the rest to MacLoader and reboot without boot-132 cd. If it all works well you can install Windows (though you may have to set or reset the boot flag to the MacLoader partition afterwards).

Haven't tried it on a existing installation yet, but I assume you can adjust the above as necessary.

I've used this method for about four months now. It gives a stable install, but it does NOT make your Hackintosh safe for Apple Software Update. That's nonsense. Installed 10.5.7 last night and my machine is toast. Back to square one...

I've used this method for about four months now. It gives a stable install, but it does NOT make your Hackintosh safe for Apple Software Update. That's nonsense. Installed 10.5.7 last night and my machine is toast. Back to square one...

The problem isnt this method, the problem is everytime apple updates the OS we need a different or updated drivers/kexts configuration. This method is the best thats available.

Ive just updated to 10.5.7 and it wouldn't boot right away. Ive had to remove a couple of kexts, and im now looking for more kexts to get it back to where I was at before I updated.

The good thing about this method is safe mode or boot132 cd will allways get u back up and running!

Imagine a new empty drive. Format it with three partitions (1st MacLoader 1GB, 2nd MacOSX >8GB, 3rd Windows >10GB). Now install Retail Leopard with your boot-132 cd top the MacOSX partition. Reboot with boot-132 cd into os x. Install Chameleon to the MacLoader partition and set boot flag to MacLoader. Add kext and the rest to MacLoader and reboot without boot-132 cd. If it all works well you can install Windows (though you may have to set or reset the boot flag to the MacLoader partition afterwards).

Haven't tried it on a existing installation yet, but I assume you can adjust the above as necessary.

At the risk of appearing noobish, but doesnt Windows need to be on the first partition (or at least is unhappy at being on 2nd or later partitions). And what formats the Macloader partition?

Hi,

I'm following this tutorial on the first side but i allways get stuck in Phase 4 step 3 when you should copy the extensions.

I put cd Desktop/extension but the reply is always "no such file or Directory" I checked several times that Desktop/extension is correct and i also tried other folder, too where I put the cd comand but I still get the same error.

can me please help anybody?

(i just used the comands in the tutorial)

Thanks

Hi,

I'm following this tutorial on the first side but i allways get stuck in Phase 4 step 3 when you should copy the extensions.

I put cd Desktop/extension but the reply is always "no such file or Directory" I checked several times that Desktop/extension is correct and i also tried other folder, too where I put the cd comand but I still get the same error.

Folder name is case sensitive in terminal. "no such file or Directory" error will appear if the directory is actually doesn't exist or it is misspelled.

kizwan

As an update to my recent post, I did a -v boot and noticed that it was grumbling about audio stuff. So I deleted AppleHDA.kext from /system/library/extensions, then put the AppleHDA from my backed-up 10.5.6 s/l/e folder in there. This is the method that is recommended elsewhere on the forums, but it didn't do it for me.

However, no one appears to have specified that you need to do a repair permissions in diskutil before rebooting. THEN it works fine.

Hope this helps someone else who may be struggling.

Discy