RELEASE 10.5.5

Lila

157 posts in this topic

Hey,

The most important Extensions that you must have in Extra folder to make it boot after update:

1- AppleIntelPMDisabler.kext.

2- DSMOS.kext or AppleDecrypt.kext.

3- Kext for your HDD like IOATAFamily for IDE and AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext for SATA.

4- Any essential kexts you need Natit or PS/2 kexts.

It worked for me like a Charm I didn't change any file and all is working and backup your extensions before anything. ;)

My /Extras/Extensions folder on my HDD's root currently has the following files:

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

dsmos.kext

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

That's it. And I checked my /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and I see AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext *AS WELL* as Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext's in there, and it's been booting fine all along, so am I safe to assume that those files in /Extras/Extensions ARE loading without a problem and I could go ahead and just update through Software Update? My graphics card is installed using just the String method, and my sound is patched but I could always patch it later. I tried booting with -v yesterday to see if I could see my system loading the .kexts from /Extras/Extensions, but the screen goes by too fast for me to see. But if those files are NOT on my /System/Library/Extensions, I would assume they are indeed loading from /Extras/... right?

Thanks for the help, fellas. I'm just writing my thesis and I want to avoid trashing my system (even if I have Time Machine running).

hi

I can't get to the desktop after log-in. Alert box keep popping up saying Spotlight crashed. Either clicking ignore or relaunch won't help. And I see that the hard drive is being accessed. But i still can't get to the desktop screen. Anyone know of this problem?

updated on a Kalyway 10.5.4. My mb is gigabyte p35-ds3p. And using/was using a modbin kernel.

Any help is very much appreciated. thanks.

Had an unfortunate FAIL on my popular Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, running Kalyway 10.5.4 Vanilla. Kernel panic around 75% into update. I didn't even try to boot it, no point. At least I had a image of my boot drive from two days ago ;) .

Thought this board was supposed to be "one of the most mac compatible"?

Kernel panic for me on Abit IP35. I have two Leopard installs so I booted into the other and installed 10.5.5 via Pacifist onto my main partition. Had to restore my SATA kexts also.

What is odd is that I had kernel panic about 75% with Installer, AND Pacifist. Seems like it tries to update something that is running on the system and the system doesn't like it...

looks like the finder isn't launching for me as it has an issue with spotlight. This is the error message that i have:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/QuickLook
Reason: no suitable image found.

Please if anyone know of this issue i would very much appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Edit: Fixed!

Bypassed the finder by going through the terminal.

Relaunch Leopard 10.5.5 updater.

Installed AppleIntelPMDisabler.kext

Installed StageXNU mach_kernel

Repair permission of boot disk

then reboot.

Everything back to normal.

Ok, I bit the bullet, and went ahead and updated straight through Software Update. System rebooted, then it re-rebooted itself once, and finally booted into OS X. Everything is working, except for my ALC883 Sound, but that's something that some people have reported as non-working from the update, so I guess I need to install that .kext, no big deal.

My system specs are in my signature. Thanks and cheers, y'all. :graduated:

EDIT: Got sound back using a ALC883.mpkg that I had lying around my HDD (I think it came from a Kalyway disc?), because I tried to look at the Taruga Wiki but that place is cryptic as hell. I couldn't figure *anything* out from there. Thankfully, this pkg worked for me, so I decided to post it here in case anyone else needs it. Hope it helps. :)

ALC883Audio.mpkg.zip

guys, can't explain why but as stupid as you may say i am, i did a auto software update. after rebooting nothing bad happend. my system is now updated to 10.5.5 without any flaws. i was using 10.5.3 before the update. i was so scared coz i did'nt back up my stuff and had not even used the time machine...

Like an idiot I updated via Software Update. I'm in the process of burning a leopard disk now to boot from. I do have a Time Machine backup of my drive if it comes to this. Should this machine boot if I just remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext?

I went and used the combo updater and it froze roughly 40% of the way through. Fortunately I keep an e-sata drive with 10.5.3 on it. I booted that and installed the combo on the drive where it had frozen. Restarted and it wouldn't boot even in safe mode. So I removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext completely and edited the 1 script where it has the do not steal and replaced those words.kext by dmos.kext. Rebooted in safe mode (-x at the #), repaired permissions and rebooted normally and here I am in 10.5.5 . That was a close call. Time to take the boot 123 approach very seriously.

The way to safely upgrade to 10.5.5 would be to follow the known instructions for upgrading to 10.5.3 .

ls

hmm

i installed all but the extensions folder,

reboot --> then f8 and -v -f , 2nd reboot but now only the blue osx screen with my mouse pointer and do not know what to do now

have i repair permissions during f8 boot? if, how to do that?

Please help me!

thx in advance

same here, didnt install extensions folder and kernel, can boot to safe mode, but normal mode gets blue screen with mouse pointer.

can someone pls help?

I did the update and works flawlessly.

What I did:

- Backed up the main kexts (AppleSMIBIOS, AppleSMIBIOSEFI, AppleHDA and IONetworkingFamily).

- Running the update upon netkas method (running the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext removing script) and then update the pathway to dsmos.kext

- Restarted (Important, with fingers crossed). The system restarted twice - this is normal

- After the 2nd restart, I lost only the audio and network (I mention, I have the EFI-String for video, so I don't need injectors)

- I restored only the AppleHDA.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext and restarted again.

- Repaired the permissions with Disk Utility and surprise, I escaped from the warning SUID's. The new kexts (especially IONetworkingFamily) has been repaired

and I enjoying now the 10.5.5.

I hope it be useful to the new members here.

!Warning! Before doing the update, look for the netkas instructions and save with TextEditor. During doing the update, keep the instructions open to see exactly what you have to do. Save these instruction in a safe place to can open and use at the future updates.

My experience was almost identical to Foodie Monster's except I D/L'ed the update and installed then used ALC882.mpkg for the P5W system to restore sound. Using the Boot 132 method is paying off with less headaches from updates. Everything working smoothly so far.

Ok, I bit the bullet, and went ahead and updated straight through Software Update. System rebooted, then it re-rebooted itself once, and finally booted into OS X. Everything is working, except for my ALC883 Sound, but that's something that some people have reported as non-working from the update, so I guess I need to install that .kext, no big deal.

My system specs are in my signature. Thanks and cheers, y'all. :P

EDIT: Got sound back using a ALC883.mpkg that I had lying around my HDD (I think it came from a Kalyway disc?), because I tried to look at the Taruga Wiki but that place is cryptic as hell. I couldn't figure *anything* out from there. Thankfully, this pkg worked for me, so I decided to post it here in case anyone else needs it. Hope it helps. :)

Softwareupdate worked...

Retail Install + Boot123 on Gigabyte EP35-DS3 / Q6600.

I lost QE und CI on ati 2600 pro. Think I only have to reenter the device id. Sound may be broken, too. Natit still works.

I recommend to use Boot 123 without too many drivers to keep it simple.

I saved the relevant drivers on a different partition and reinstall everything missing in 5 minutes.

I used cameleon once but is was screwed up after some software update. I would not recommend using it if you want to use apple online updates on a regular basis. Nevertheless it is a good choice if you don't want to go with every update.

I don't think using a Boot-DVD is too unconvenient. And it is really safe for updates.

it would be nice if you guys would post your distribution, update downloaded and update method.

Distribution: ................................

Update downloaded (e.g. combo): ................................

Update method (e.g SU, Netkas): ................................

might be useful, what do you think? :censored2:

Ok, so. If we summerize, we can DL 10.5.5ComboUpdate from Apple, apply Netkas method like the others Updates and it's running fine... isn't it?

I have a 10.5.2 from Kaly, + Apple combo10.5.3 with replaced kext + Apple delta10.5.4 and my system is perfect.

for the 10.5.3, I have replaced graphics kext, AppleHDA, SMBIOS, Natit.. (plus delete the famous AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and rewrite "1" file in script).. That's right?

I'll try tonight...

The update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 is working very simple with a system using vanilla kernel.

It is just not allowed to have a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed - otherwise te hackmac will crash during the next boot trial and one has to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext somehow afterwards - which is not so simple. ;-)

But update installer will install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext too.

It is easy to kill the installation of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext during the installation of 10.5.5:

Open in finder at your boot volume System/Library/Extensions/ as a list and scroll to the line where AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should be seen.

Than start the installation of 10.5.5 (SW update possible).

As soon as you see AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the list do a right click with the mouse on it and move it to the trash. You have enough time for this during the installation is going on.

Afterwards the machine will restart twice and all should be okay!

:)