The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

has anyone tried renaming the drivers of the x1600 to think it is the current video files. You would need to do so in command line, but if you can convince your machine that the x1600 drivers are the current video drivers, then it might just work.

Just a thought considering the video driver are hardcoded

Quote"i've got a radeon 1600 mobility driver in device manager which was set up and showed 'working' and 'no conflicts' with memory addressing.

I think the problem is that there is no Device Manager entry for Default Monitor or Plug and Play Monitor. I've tried installing them to no avail. Also, I manually updated the registry and moved the pointer from the xom vga driver to the default one.

I tried to disable the default vga to force use of the good adapter (mobility) but on reboot it has killed the load. However, very interestingly enough, I was in some kind of debug mode and kept pressing keys...q brought up an Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation...looks like a BIOS. this might be what they (narf) is using for the BIOS for the load. Has for evaluation purposes only in the header and do not distribute!

i think you can get into it if you press tab or arrow after you start loading windows and it'll show you the boot code, at that point press q.

all kinds of cool options to fiddle with....kill your mac at your leisure..." unguote

DO THAT AND MESS WITH IT!!!!!!!!!

That sucks. I rebuilt the CD and tried the new installer, and it failed like everyone else. Now I'm reinstalling XP again.

Hope there is a video driver soon.

I'm not reinstalling after my failure. I'm going to waite for a new efi kernell until I reinstall. The video driver is built into the installation, which is why it isn't working; henceforth you'll need to reinstall windows with a new slipstream CD to accomplish anything.

I hope someone builds a working one soon, I'm tired of fooling around with nothing.

Yeah, I think Narf and Blanka have to hardcode the x1600 driver :(

But has anyone heard from Narf or Blanka lately... ??????

They are probably on vacation spending their money. Wouldn't you after spending every waking moment building this thing? They deserve some time off.

=)

Yeah, I think Narf and Blanka have to hardcode the x1600 driver :(

But has anyone heard from Narf or Blanka lately... ??????

I say let's start another contest for the x1600 video driver; I would be willing to contribute $100, what do you guys say? Asimportant is the ability to adjust the backlight and to stand-by/hibernate... Add another $50, hehehehe :(

I say let's start another contest for the x1600 video driver; I would be willing to contribute $100, what do you guys say? Asimportant is the ability to adjust the backlight and to stand-by/hibernate... Add another $50, hehehehe :thumbsdown_anim:

$100 from me. Now it's a $200 pool. Any more takers? :)

I was playing around with the audio, and it seems that the sigmatel drivers everyone is installing here only really installs the audio codecs. I have a limited knowledge of drivers, but it seems that the reason we might be getting sound through the output port and not the speakers is that Windows is sending the audio using the legacy drivers, which I would reasonbly assume don't have the capability of switching the signal out to the internal speakers.

So I'm looking at all the devices with the question marks that haven't got a driver at all (under "Other devices" in the Device Manager), and this one PCI one sitting on the top just seems curious to me. What device running off the PCI bus could possibly be left without a driver at this point, everything we have left is presumably chipset functions (power management) or USB or serial bus devices (IR, iSight, perhaps the trackpad).

Could this be the device we need to get the audio working on the speakers?

I just went into the manual driver selection, and windows basically gives me the options for intel either ac97 audio devices or game ports, so it seems like it to me. None of the windows ac97 controller drivers will initialize the device (but they install fine). Looking at the device ID I have:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A3&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&38

Can anyone confirm any of this?

Edit: I have the Macbook Pro, not the iMac if it makes a difference

Guys, lets not throw money at the subject of our impatience... the last thing we want right now is for the drivers discussion for VGA to go hush. Let he who finds the solution gain pride, admiration, and respect. But lets work together on this. All we're doing by chucking our wallets at the problem is closing the open-ness of the community trying to solve the problem.

Anyways, don't you think a number of somebody's are already working viciously on a solution?

Guys, lets not throw money at the subject of our impatience... the last thing we want right now is for the drivers discussion for VGA to go hush. Let he who finds the solution gain pride, admiration, and respect. But lets work together on this. All we're doing by chucking our wallets at the problem is closing the open-ness of the community trying to solve the problem.

Anyways, don't you think a number of somebody's are already working viciously on a solution?

This is true. WHat if someone just founf a solution 10 mins ago, and was getting ready to post it. Then talk of $$ and contests made him decide to wait.

not likely, this is a stumper and I think it has a lot to do with the 'bios' that is installed for all of this to work. Next time you boot windows, press escape then when you see debug code, press q you'll be in the 'bios' that narf is using. you can see the device manager with ac97 and other items for video etc.

my question is why does narf require a special vga driver? whoever did this contest should ask all the questions and get the answers to the 'why's' not just the hows... because personally I think that this thing isn't complete yet until its a fully functional win xp installation, meaning you can install all the drivers that support the hardware. Until then, its pretty cool but useless for me.

Interesting article on the VGA Bios Issues we are all having which may explain a lot.

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Techinfo

Also here's a link to code for a similar XOM.EFI solution. With a posting from the infamous blanka ! (Blanka/Narf help us out with the vga issues... you've both done a mighty job on the xom well done).

http://daemons.net/~clay/index.php/2006/03...-on-intel-macs/

Incidentally the Bios screen people keep talking about is just the Intel EFI shell which we have all been using for ages, not the Bios that the Gods used....

I think the key is in the first article where we talk about the vga.sys and xom.efi returning a single graphics mode.

"So, in a few words, if there's a text mode available, it takes it. Otherwises, it chooses the first Graphics mode >= (640,480).

Unfortunately, vga.sys comes preloaded with the eight VGA video modes. One of them being the 80x25 text mode available in all VGA cards. This being the case, setup chooses to use it, after configuring it with a smaller font so that more rows are available.

xomdd.sys circuments this issue by removing the preloaded video modes. Additionally, it queries the available modes via the VESA BIOS SVGA GetModeInfo call. This in turn is implemented in xom.efi to return only one mode, which is a linear RGBA mode which matches the EFI graphics mode.

Under this circumstances, setupdd.sys has no choice but choose this only available mode. To whoever wrote setupdd.sys' credit, it was written to support all imaginable modes, be it an arbitrary sized text mode or graphics mode. The graphic mode being either palette-indexed or direct color, as well as plane-based or linear frame buffer-based. A shame that all of this goes to waste on any x86 install thanks to the thick-headedness of vga.sys. "

Anyways BamBios may be the answer or the guys may fix it yet. Still some bright spark may solve the problem or maybe I will who knows.

Keep it real and keep trying everything possible, we will get there.

:thumbsdown_anim:

hmm, when i changed my registry to point to vga.sys instead of xomdd.sys i showed 3 modes. I don't know what it was before that. Anyone? I know I have the standard, 800x600 and 640x480....at least I did before I disabled my adapter and can't boot it. I've left the partition dead until better drivers are available.

I've been out of luck when it comes to getting my airport card working in my 20" iMac. I downloaded and tried to install the dell drivers that have been "known" to work and I get nothing. Of course, the install gives the expected error about no compatible hardware. Adding manually by firing up the add new hardware wizard and pointing it to the extracted .inf file yields a list of cards. I've tried the 1490 (both versions) and neither of them will start. I add the device but I get error code 10.

Anyone with a 20" iMac have any luck with the wifi?