The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

"Effects" was testing a MBP with an ATI drivers solutions, everything seem to work fine,we were about to hear the latest news on his solution, until Onmac.net site went down.

Now i'm pretty anxious and bitting my nails!

:)

lol, could it be!!!!!! OMG. i'm also biting my nails. I feel your pain.. hehe ^^

Have you visited Onmac.net recently, specifically on forum, Ati drivers.? I haven't been able to enter the site for almost two hours.

Have you visited Onmac.net recently, specifically on forum, Ati drivers.? I haven't been able to enter the site for almost two hours.

After i saw the previous post before mine, i tried the site and i couldn't access it. Hopefully someone posted a fix, and the server couldn't handle the load. hehe i'll wait to see for sure! I can't wait to play FFXI on my (win)mac

After i saw the previous post before mine, i tried the site and i couldn't access it. Hopefully someone posted a fix, and the server couldn't handle the load. hehe i'll wait to see for sure! I can't wait to play FFXI on my (win)mac

Cross fingers! i'll try later! :poster_oops:

wait, so does Effect's solution actually work? the last time I checked onmac.net, he said that he is still waiting for someone at work to get him his MBP

I saw the same thing... he said even said "don't get too excited", I don't think the reason the site is down is because of "effect's" possible solution that he hadn't even thoroughly tested. Although, I don't think he mentioned that it was his MBP that he was asking his co-worker to get, just some "items" that he needed.

Hey all! I wanted to answer some of the speculation. I am working n a fix. I have also had problems getting into onmac.net. Also, the solution is not yet posted as, I am still in the testing phase. It is looking okay at the moment, but I have been sick and haven't had the time to devote to it. I will keep you updated. Also, I needed a few things from work including my macbook pro. I currently have two of them for work, but one of them is a test machine that I have been working on. I left it at work when I got sick and just got it back tonight. However, my coworker left some of my software at work on accident. This is what I can tell you so far. The problem is with driver implementation. It wasn't built into the slipstream cd and efi properly, so I have edited both. I can make the machine boot with the new driver, but am not sure if it will remain stable. I am working without narf and blanka's source code, so I am piecing it together. Please be patient and continue all of your testing. I am just like everyone else. I am experimenting and am getting close. I am not trying to stop the success that is going on. I actually have gotten where I am so far, by reading all of your posts, suggestions and researching myself. Cross your fingers, but don't get to excited. I am not posting the final solution at this time, but am hopeful that I might be able to do it soon. Keep up the good work and wish me luck. If my testing works, then I have several people who have volunteered to help me test further. IF I get this working correctly, I will post it for everyone to grab. Until then I regularly check both posts and will continue to do so. As soon as I am up and around a little better, I will finish testing.

Please, leave some of your nails intact ,

Effects

Hey all! I wanted to answer some of the speculation....

Please, leave some of your nails intact ,

Effects

Good to hear from you! I hope you are feeling better if not get some rest.

As for the drivers i agree too, i tried to install an xp64 version of catalyst , because xp64 works on efi. The drivers recognized the card but keeps showing an alert with a .nif file , even if this method don´t work apparently what it´s stopping the drivers is the VGA BIOS, not the driver itself!.

I think that there is a way make windows recognize the video card as Virtual PC does trying to emulate a common PC.

I´ll be trying anyway.

Get better effects our nails and are depending on you! :angel:

Note that effects said "I can make the machine boot with the new driver, but am not sure if it will remain stable."

I'm curious as to if by this he means "not using XpOnMac VGASAVE"...that alone is an accomplishment, heheh

-D

Do they realy want to start a new Contest for the drivers? In that case we will have to wait a long, long time to get it working...

:happymac:

The first Contest isnt just over, couse narf and blanka havnt posted ths source by now.

This way itll never become a comunity project...

:2cents:

Hey all! I am still very sick and hopefully this will be the last day. I am tired of feeling this bad. Anyway, as for a contest. I'll be honest. If my solution works right, then I am not waiting on a contest. Sure money is always nice, but I'm not doing this for money. I am doing it because it would be great to have a fully functional xp and mac os on the same computer. So, that being said, I will get back on the project as quick as I can.

P.S. I can't name one specific message or post that was helpful, it was a combination of watching people try various things such as drivers from different vendors and trying to change the xomdd.sys file. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the confidence and wishing me well,

Effects

Do they realy want to start a new Contest for the drivers? In that case we will have to wait a long, long time to get it working...

:D

The first Contest isnt just over, couse narf and blanka havnt posted ths source by now.

This way itll never become a comunity project...

:blink:

I have mixed feelings about a contest too. Somehow it seems that it has catalyzed things to happen faster, yet now, as I read it from Effects, he could use the openess of a community project to advance further and more swiftly... Perhaps if Narf and Blanka were to provide him the necessary code, the entire community could benefit from the collaboration, and we could all celebrate this historic victory all that much sooner!

Just my two cents... either way, I am like a kid at the eve of christmas and looking forward to using the 4k worth of software I have on the world sleekest machines, which I had reluctantly relinquished for practicality purposes. Now it seems that a new era is dawning. Thanks to all for the pioneering and keep up the good work!

Too bad I have very limited programming skills, I could have gotten involved instead of doing the cheerleader! :blink:

Ciao

Vector

P.P.S - it's booting withot the xom dirver. Just thought you should know. It's know just a question of stability. (again, refrain from to much excitement. Testing isn't done. If it's not stable, it's not a working solution.)

Effects

Well then...

If you need any help i'm sure anyone with a mac and some experience is ready to jump in. Kindda wish everyone would share everything. I still think that we would be done faster.

Anyway, Good luck :D

Too bad I have very limited programming skills, I could have gotten involved instead of doing the cheerleader! :blink:

:blink: I missed out on so much in school. I should have done more cheerleaders. :D

Anyway!!! (Sorry about the :blink:) Let's get back to driver discussion.

Here is a very usefull software for MacXp users. "MacDrive" it allows windows to use hard drives formatted for mac. Im using this with my external hdd. very cool.

This is the link to get the trial

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

Just the fact that effects is booting without xom driver is indeed a great advance. I think this driver is the key to make ati card work.